The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 June 2022, 05:20 PM   #1
Tony Statk
"TRF" Member

Patek Nautilus to complement my 5236P

Hello,

I received my 5236P recently. Now that I am « registered customer » with my AD… I am considering adding a new Patek.

I am considering a nautilus.

My initial thoughts are as follow:

5712: the inasymetric dial disturb me
5726: typical patek dial. Maybe I will be bored as the dial looks like 5236
5980R: good balance rose gold, leather. Less discreet than 5726. I never had rose gold watch. Good addition?
5990 1R. Full gold. Will I be able to wear this watch ? I dont have a gold watch. It would be a logic addition. But I have the occasion to wear it. Is it not too much?
5740: perpetual calendar platinum. Like my 5236P. Same metal. The « best nautilus » but no logic addition?

Other watch I like:
5930P: I like the green dial and world time complication
5270P: I dont have manual chrono watch.

Please help me decide. What is your feedback on a gold addition or availability experience?

Thx
Tony
Tony Statk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2022, 05:45 PM   #2
multimedia
"TRF" Member

First, congrats on the 5236P. Quite an interesting story regarding the calibre 31-260-PS-QL. Apparently Patek had to developed a new perpetual calendar module from scratch and placed it over the 31-260 caliber, and an 118 extra components were required to ensure the disks synchronise and changed properly. Among other things. Anyway, it's a stunning watch. Especially with that blue dial. It draws you in. :)

If I were to choose between the ones you listed above, I would personally go with either the 5930P or the 5270P. They are different enough from your 5236P. Yes, the 5726 etc are all great PP's. But in today’s climate, I would personal rather choose something that is less "popular". If that makes any sense? :)

Some might say the 5930P is a bit busy. I on the other hand think it looks great, and well balanced. A classic world-time model, with a bit of a twist without going overboard = keeping it classic like it should be with a PP. Also love that green dial. It's really striking!

Cheers,
Joe
Old 20 June 2022, 05:58 PM   #3
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Statk View Post
Hello,

I received my 5236P recently. Now that I am « registered customer » with my AD… I am considering adding a new Patek.

I am considering a nautilus.

My initial thoughts are as follow:

5712: the inasymetric dial disturb me
5726: typical patek dial. Maybe I will be bored as the dial looks like 5236
5980R: good balance rose gold, leather. Less discreet than 5726. I never had rose gold watch. Good addition?
5990 1R. Full gold. Will I be able to wear this watch ? I dont have a gold watch. It would be a logic addition. But I have the occasion to wear it. Is it not too much?
5740: perpetual calendar platinum. Like my 5236P. Same metal. The « best nautilus » but no logic addition?

Other watch I like:
5930P: I like the green dial and world time complication
5270P: I dont have manual chrono watch.

Please help me decide. What is your feedback on a gold addition or availability experience?

Thx
Tony
First of all, 5740 is in white gold, not platinum.

The 5726 is the most practical Nautilus, imo, and is a perfect size as a luxury sports watch.

5930P: these are extremely low production watches. boutiques might get 1 per year.

5270P: great great masterpiece. but you already have a perpetual calendar dress watch.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2022, 06:24 PM   #4
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by multimedia View Post
First, congrats on the 5236P. Quite an interesting story regarding the calibre 31-260-PS-QL. Apparently Patek had to developed a new perpetual calendar module from scratch and placed it over the 31-260 caliber, and an 118 extra components were required to ensure the disks synchronise and changed properly. Among other things. Anyway, it's a stunning watch. Especially with that blue dial. It draws you in. :)

If I were to choose between the ones you listed above, I would personally go with either the 5930P or the 5270P. They are different enough from your 5236P. Yes, the 5726 etc are all great PP's. But in today’s climate, I would personal rather choose something that is less "popular". If that makes any sense? :)

Some might say the 5930P is a bit busy. I on the other hand think it looks great, and well balanced. A classic world-time model, with a bit of a twist without going overboard = keeping it classic like it should be with a PP. Also love that green dial. It's really striking!

Cheers,
Joe
I don't understand this rationale of choosing something less popular, instead of choosing the watch the OP likes? Pls could you educate me Joe?
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2022, 06:33 PM   #5
multimedia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I don't understand this rationale of choosing something less popular, instead of choosing the watch the OP likes? Pls could you educate me Joe?
Sure thing :) (I have to excuse myself, since English is not my first langue, perhaps sometimes I write something that I belive is the right way to express it, but instead it just gets confusing)

Of course the OP should choose the model he likes. Did I write something that pointed to any different? If so, I'm sorry. What I meant is that if I were to choose one of the above models, and the OP did ask for advice (so I thought I should just give my 2 cents), I wouldn't choose a Nautilus because that's what we currently see on the wrist of the instagramers, Youtubers, influencers or what ever we want to call it. Hense, I would have personally chosen two of the other models (the two I mentioned). Only because they are not Nautilus? No, not at all, but because also they are classic PP and they both look great and are fantastic watches.

Does that make it less confusing? :)

Cheers,
Joe
Old 20 June 2022, 06:36 PM   #6
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Sure thing :) (I have to excuse myself, since English is not my first langue, perhaps sometimes I write something that I belive is the right way to express it, but instead it just gets confusing)

Of course the OP should choose the model he likes. Did I write something that pointed to any different? If so, I'm sorry. What I meant is that if I were to choose one of the above models, and the OP did ask for advice (so I thought I should just give my 2 cents), I wouldn't choose a Nautilus because that's what we currently see on the wrist of the instagramers, Youtubers, influencers or what ever we want to call it. Hense, I would have personally chosen two of the other models (the two I mentioned). Only because they are not Nautilus? No, not at all, but because also they are classic PP and they both look great and are fantastic watches.

Does that make it less confusing? :)

Cheers,
Joe
What's wrong with watches seen on the wrists of instagramers, Youtubers, influencers? Does it make the watch less complete, less desirable or iconic? I'm struggling to see the connection here. Are you also a member of a prestigious yacht club?
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2022, 06:42 PM   #7
multimedia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
What's wrong with watches seen on the wrist of the instagramers, Youtubers, influencers? Does it make the watch less complete, less desirable or iconic? I'm struggling to see the connection here. Are you also a member of a prestigious yacht club?
Haha!

The OP listed a couple of models. He asked for, to quote the OP; "Please help me decide."

I decided, apparently stupid enough, to write a few lines letting the OP know what I personally would have choosen. Did I say anything at all regarding the OP not "choosing the watch the OP likes"?. No, I don't think I did.

OP asked for advice, advice was given. Nothing more, nothing less. :)

Let the OP decide if my answer was idiotic, or not.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 20 June 2022, 09:59 PM   #8
ts3
"TRF" Member

If you want a Nautilus and don't like 5712 I would pursue 5740 or wait for the successor of 5711 as Nautilus are about being 8mm thin for me (and having the beautiful bracelet). I neither like 5726 nor the Nautilus chronos much and find 5968 prettier.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2022, 10:08 PM   #9
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Honestly, take whatever your AD offers you first and just enjoy it. Every single Patek is waitlisted right now. Unless you are after a 24, all are difficult to get.

Personally I’m biased, so I would say 5726 out of your choices. But if you are keen on a WT, my favourites are the 5231G or the 5230P.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2022, 11:33 PM   #10
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
5980R for me. Though depending on region or part of the world may be somewhat too flashy.

This thread needs more photos. Heres my 5236P

F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 12:04 AM   #11
Tony Statk
"TRF" Member

Thank you Joe for your advice. Yes, it's good to go with less popular models some times. I agree. I should pick the one he likes above all considerations.

Quote:

Cheers,
Joe
Old 21 June 2022, 12:06 AM   #12
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

5712 in steel is my favourite Nautilus, and FWIW it also recently topped a poll of the membership on here. A watch you grow to love, rather than love at first sight. Very easy to read the time at a glance, as no centre seconds.

rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 12:07 AM   #13
Tony Statk
"TRF" Member

Yes indeed I have ordered the 5236P before the the 5270P came out. I do not regret but the 5270P tick a lot of my boxes:
- green
- platinum
- PCC

the 5236P is just unique for the moment but they will do variations for sure and it might loose its uniqueness it has for the moment.
Old 21 June 2022, 12:52 AM   #14
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
If nautilus: then 5740G

5740G --> 5270P --> 5930P

In regards to availability, it will take some time on 5740G and 5270P. Most likely next year delivery.
Old 21 June 2022, 09:03 AM   #15
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
5712 in steel is my favourite Nautilus, and FWIW it also recently topped a poll of the membership on here. A watch you grow to love, rather than love at first sight. Very easy to read the time at a glance, as no centre seconds.

Completely agree. You’ll get the same feel and dimensions of a 5711 with all those complications. It really is a watch you grow to love
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 09:04 PM   #16
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chute View Post
Completely agree. You’ll get the same feel and dimensions of a 5711 with all those complications. It really is a watch you grow to love
Plus it has the uber-cool 240 Calibre w/ micro-rotor, a cut above the movement used in the 5711.

rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2022, 10:50 AM   #17
Nico81
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
5712 is my favorite nautilus
Its so good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nico81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 11:00 PM   #18
bob101
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Statk View Post
Yes indeed I have ordered the 5236P before the the 5270P came out. I do not regret but the 5270P tick a lot of my boxes:
- green
- platinum
- PCC

the 5236P is just unique for the moment but they will do variations for sure and it might loose its uniqueness it has for the moment.
Not sure about that. The 5170p was pretty unique with the first in house chronograph movement and being platinum with the diamond hour markers.
It only had 2 year production run. Not a given it will be present in any other
pieces though it would certainly look very nice in a sports piece too!
I would go for a 5712/1a if still possible to get as slim Nautilus like the 5711. The 5726 is very nice but quite bulky in comparison. Another option would be the Aquanaut 5164a or r.
bob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 11:28 PM   #19
Vipes
"TRF" Member

If you’re considering a Nautilus, I like the 5726 blue dial and the 5980/1r. I had the 5980R on strap and it was top heavy for me.

BTW, I think Patek has the best looking RG.
Vipes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 02:51 AM   #20
Replicar
"TRF" Member

5712 is my fave nautilus as well. For the longest time I was choosing between 5726 and 5712, until one day my AD had both on display side by side. The differences then became starkly apparent to me.

5726 bracelet is wider, thicker, and the polished links are also larger, the “feel” portrayed looks too “rough” for me (pardon the irony as I am aware this is meant to be a sports watch). The 5712 is like “jewellery” with its smaller shimmering links, thinner profile, more dainty/ refined, nicer movement, just a work of art. I am not a small guy and I wear my 42mm explorer well. It took me some time to appreciate the 5712 but once I did, I never looked back. The 5712 wins up close.

On the other hand, when viewing from 1-3 metres away (which is how others will see the watch on your wrist), the clear symmetry of the 5726 and bigger presence makes it much more distinct and noticeable/ striking/ nicer than the 5712. So at a distance, 5726 wins 5712.

I choose the 5712 and I choose the nautilus to be under the radar, not so much for people to notice, but for myself to admire up close.

It’s either 5712 or 5980r for me. Both in bracelet and dressy.

Lastly, my AD says 5712 is the most popular nautilus. I didn’t ask if he meant most commonly produced or most commonly requested, but I suspect the latter.

Cheers

Sorry for the 5740g, I prefer AP RO perp with its better depth.
Replicar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 04:42 AM   #21
EUguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post

Amazing picture!
EUguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 10:35 PM   #22
rgff
"TRF" Member

Get the 5740, it's the ultimate nautilus for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg viber_image_2022-06-11_22-13-52-436.jpg (193.4 KB, 162 views)
rgff is offline   Reply With Quote