The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 March 2022, 03:55 AM   #1
mitchie41
"TRF" Member

Patek Service Thoughts/Costs

Hey Guys:

I went to my local AD and I got a quote for service costs for a 5205G.

Service of Annual Calendar: $1600CDN ($1250USD)
Polish: $500CDN ($400 USD)
Shipping to PP Geneva as service is not performed in Canada: $500CDN
Total: $2600 CDN (2000 USD).

Does the service price seem a little excessive for an annual calendar? I sent a 1921 to VC for a service recently. Quoted $1040CDN all-in.

Has there been an increase in service cost recently (I went on the PP Website and these costs are aligned with the prices listed on the website in CHF)?

Is it usual for an AD to charge a customer directly for shipping a watch during a service? I've never seen this for any other watch.

I just wanted to get the experience of members....do you guys go for the polish or just keep the watch as-is? I know this is a hot topic in the watch collecting community. Any issues with doing a full polish/refinish on WG/Rhodium plated PP case that I should watch out for? Does PP perform laser welding on gold cases and make it look "new" again?

They did quote a 6-8 week turnaround time which is way shorter than previous posts where members were describing 9-12 month waits.
mitchie41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2022, 04:25 AM   #2
MKIVdan
"TRF" Member

That seems normal, my 5960/01G is a Annual calendar flyback and i think the service cost was $1600 USD IIRC. I opted for no polish.
MKIVdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2022, 04:55 AM   #3
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Hey fellow Vancouverite!

I think the cost is pretty normal. What year is your piece, is it starting to lose time (just wanted to know as own a 5205R)?

On shipping, I assume the team there will included all the necessary insurance, etc. so I don't think its out of the ordinary. Also they in many ways bear the responsibility of the watch while its out of your hands so the $500 will ensure its done right.

As for polishing and laser welding... how's your 5205G look right now? Got any pictures, I won't suppose it would be in such a shape where is needs laser welding on a dressier watch.

Polishing is personal preference. I probably won't do it myself unless its in a really scratched-up shape.

Any work done directly from Geneve will make the watch look new so don't worry about that aspect. It's going directly back to those who made the watch haha.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2022, 07:55 PM   #4
watchmaker
TechXpert

Service price seem fair for the complication and the brand. As a percentage of the cost of the watch I think it's great value.

I do think Patek's polishing charges are a little steep; but they are optional, so no harm no foul.

As for being charged shipping and insurance from Canada to Switzerland...That charge should 100% land on the watch owner, not the AD.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2022, 02:41 AM   #5
PatekSF
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I like to do
I would take a flight to NYC and hand-deliver it to HSWA.
Old 14 August 2022, 03:04 PM   #6
FrançoisCzapek
"TRF" Member

Watch: Classic Pateks
I save half the servicing by going in person and never polishing.
FrançoisCzapek is offline   Reply With Quote