The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 8 April 2022, 02:01 AM   #1
Grisha40299
"TRF" Member

Patek 5146 - Past and Present Owners Feedback

For those of you that own or have previously owned Patek 5146 ( Annual Calendar), wanted to get feedback on likes and dislikes about this timepiece. Besides Platinum, are any of the other precious metal variations or the year ( I think movement was updated at one point) considered more rare than others? Does anyone wear it casually with a different strap on it? At this price range are there better Annual Calendar Patek models? Thanks
Grisha40299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2022, 03:20 AM   #2
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

The 5146 was in production for 15+ years and so there are a lot of them out there. At one point the buckle or deployant clasp was updated, probably around 2009. The 5146 has luminescent hands and so visibility in dim lighting was better than other dress watch ACs produced during the past 10-15 years (5396 and 5205). The newer 5205G has luminescent hands which some people like.

If you are in the market for an AC, my suggestion is to go and try out as many as you can and see for yourself which one you like as it comes down to personal preference.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2022, 03:46 AM   #3
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

Nice reference. Very easy to wear casually, and on different straps. Good size at 39mm for comfort on the wrist (my wrist is 7.25"), but the dial is somewhat small so the dial itself wears 1-2 mm smaller (visually) than the watch's overall diameter would suggest.

I have the cream dial, white gold version and typically wear it on a dark brown strap with slight contrast lighter-brown stitching. The watch is versatile and can be worn with just about anything.

It's definitely an under-the-radar piece. Only those who know Patek will know what you're wearing (which is my preference). It's definitely no IG darling (also my preference).

Overall a great daily wearer IMO. I believe the only significant changes over the years were (1) Patek rhodium plated earlier white gold models (ca. 2009 and earlier, I believe; but check this); and (2) an updated movement and migration from the Geneva seal to the PP seal.
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2022, 08:47 AM   #4
macplee
"TRF" Member

i had this watch in gold w cream - sold it - was a little "old fashion" for me. The new AC design language is more modern - 5205 013 is epic
macplee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2022, 10:18 AM   #5
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
I think the platinum and the G 5146 are fantastic. They wear smaller than the case size suggests (the 5146 is listed as 39mm, and wears like a 38; just like the 5205 is listed as 40mm, and wears like a 39). The dial is either hit or miss depending on your taste. I love it - particularly the numbers at 12, 3 and 9 and the date at 6; others look at the same thing and think it looks like a hot mess. 5146 is traditional Patek design language, heartening back to an earlier age; the 5205 is more modern design language. I love them both, but chose the 5146, partly because of the smaller size for my smaller wrist.

In any case, I think the 5146 is a classic Patek reference and if it works for you, you can get a good discount!
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2022, 09:39 PM   #6
Grisha40299
"TRF" Member

Thanks for everyone’s feedback. Does anyone know what the last MSRP was for 5146G? Thanks
Old 8 April 2022, 10:51 PM   #7
RobinH
"TRF" Member

Last price before it was discontinued last year was €41,200
I have a 5146G gray sunburst dial and it is one of my favourite watches, this dial is absolutely incredible!
RobinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 11:04 PM   #8
Horologista
"TRF" Member

5146 Owner

Hi,

Current 5146, white gold slate, dial owner. Have strong opinions on this watch.
4 years since acquiring, with periods of months at a time of wearing it as a daily, and it still inspires a feeling of awe and admiration and a hit of dopamine every time I look at it.

Things I love:
1) Very sophisticated watch. Just a higher lever of refined style over say a sports Rolex (which I like also, but this is just a higher level).
2) Deployant is just so elegant.
3) In evening light dial color looks extremely rich. In those instances I truly believe this is the perfect watch.
4) Curves of the case.
5) +\- power indicator is so discrete, and useful. Unlike a Grand Seiko power display, which has held me back from wanting to acquire one, the 5146 just blends in.
6) Case back display of movement for obvious reasons.
7) Wearability. Feels good as a daily or special occasions.
8) The way it looks on my bedside table with buckle open. Just perfect proportions.
9) Quintesential Patek DNA.
10) Winding the crown feels great on the fingers. True for any Patek.
11) Sometimes feeling or hearing the rotor in a quiet setting.
12) Option for quick strap changes.
13) Right size, 39mm, fits without insisting on itself. 100g weight on a strap feels substantial without being a burden.

Things that could be seen as a negative:
1) In very bright sunlight, noon in summer time, the dial looses some of its depth.
2) After a period of not wearing it setting the day, date, month, moon phase can be a task. Actually remembering or researching the time when one shouldn't be changing those things is the task, the actually resetting is fun.
3) A strap is not as durable as a steel bracelet. Mine is holding up well so far, but a few more years of daily wear might need a change.

Neutral things, could be good or bad depending on your take:
1) Very under the radar. Only the most enthusiastic horologers have noticed it.
2) Position of Patek Philippe label is on the bottom, in most models it is at the top. Does this take away from the DNA of the design?
3) Subdial layout. Different than 5140. Is one better than another?
4) Annual vs perpetual. Is this a 5140 little brother?
5) Date window background is white. This is being really picky. Just a small spot of white on an otherwise dark dial. Not sure what would be better.

Overall impression: Love it, would recommend to everyone, never selling.

Photo attached, because its an excuse to look at the proportions.
Attached Images
File Type: png 5146.png (213.9 KB, 820 views)
Horologista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 11:10 PM   #9
Horologista
"TRF" Member

Forgot to mention. Also love the slight dome of the crystal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horologista View Post
Hi,

4 years since acquiring, with periods of months at a time of wearing it as a daily, and it still inspires a feeling of awe and admiration and a hit of dopamine every time I look at it.

Things I love:
1) Very sophisticated watch. Just a higher lever of refined style over say a sports Rolex (which I like also, but this is just a higher level).
3) In evening light dial color looks extremely rich. In those instances I truly believe this is the perfect watch.
4) Curves of the case.
5) +\- power indicator is so discrete, and useful. Unlike a Grand Seiko power display, which has held me back from wanting to acquire one, the 5146 just blends in.
8) The way it looks on my bedside table with buckle open. Just perfect proportions.
13) Right size, 39mm, fits without insisting on itself. 100g weight on a strap feels substantial without being a burden.

1) In very bright sunlight, noon in summer time, the dial looses some of its depth.
2) After a period of not wearing it setting the day, date, month, moon phase can be a task. Actually remembering or researching the time when one shouldn't be changing those things is the task, the actually resetting is fun.
3) A strap is not as durable as a steel bracelet. Mine is holding up well so far, but a few more years of daily wear might need a change.

2) Position of Patek Philippe label is on the bottom, in most models it is at the top. Does this take away from the DNA of the design?
5) Date window background is white. This is being really picky. Just a small spot of white on an otherwise dark dial. Not sure what would be better.

Old 9 April 2022, 11:44 PM   #10
Grisha40299
"TRF" Member

Thanks for a detailed Love / Negative feedback.

In terms of size, how does it wear compared to Daytona or something similar?

Thanks
Old 9 April 2022, 11:53 PM   #11
Horologista
"TRF" Member

116500 vs 5146

Also have a 116500 white dial Dayton that I like a lot.
Very different watches, that have some threads of commonality.

Similar dimension on the wrist. This size is my sweet spot. Daytona feels a hair more substantial.
5146 sits closer to the wrist and is lighter so it disappears more. Daytona I feel more aware of.
Daytona feels more robust. Like you could wear it daily for 30 years without a thought, or maintenance.
Can spot a Daytona from across the street, 5146 is stealth.

Obviously both dials are quite busy. Some like that some don't. I like the feeling of being briefly mesmerized by detail in the second I glance down. Both elicit this feeling by all the subdials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grisha40299 View Post
Thanks for a detailed Love / Negative feedback.

In terms of size, how does it wear compared to Daytona or something similar?

Thanks
Old 10 April 2022, 12:05 AM   #12
Grisha40299
"TRF" Member

If anyone has pics of 5146 next to Daytona, please share. Would like to see the case size difference. Thanks
Old 10 April 2022, 01:24 AM   #13
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Good question and feedback. Thanks for that! I love threads where I learn to better appreciate and understand nuances of different watches.
Old 10 April 2022, 01:36 AM   #14
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horologista View Post
Hi,

Things I love:
4) Curves of the case.

As an owner of the same watch, I heartily agree with everything in this analysis. This is 100% accurate and a perfect example of how these forums can be useful places for information sharing. Thank you for posting this!

I think the main question about this watch is whether or not the items in the neutral list are pros/cons for you, as I suspect folks will feel one way or another and not be neutral on these things at all. The items you list under the neutral section are all reasons why I personally adore this watch - super, super under the radar; flash of color with the different color of the date indicator, like a mini pocket square. But I can see many folks feeling the polar opposite!
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2022, 02:58 AM   #15
Horologista
"TRF" Member

5146 vs 116500 photos

5146116500.png
Quote:
Originally Posted by grisha40299 View Post
if anyone has pics of 5146 next to daytona, please share. Would like to see the case size difference. Thanks
Old 10 April 2022, 03:03 PM   #16
Grisha40299
"TRF" Member

Thank you
Old 18 April 2022, 06:55 PM   #17
Jackflash
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167a
I’ve had the white gold on grey dial variant since 2013 and loved it. Everything that’s been said is spot on. However, it’s beginning to feel a little old fashioned for my tastes and it does indeed wear quite small on the wrist. It’s absolutely stunning and quintessentially PP, but there are more progressive pieces out there. I think it’s days are numbered in my collection.

Patek 5146G, Patek 5167A, Rolex Daytona 116500LN, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, Rolex Datejust 116200, Rolex Day-Date 228235, Grand Seiko SBGE011, Breitling Intruder Reveil
Jackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 02:21 PM   #18
FrançoisCzapek
"TRF" Member

Watch: Classic Pateks
How does the pricing and value retention of the 5146 work for ones with the bracelet?
FrançoisCzapek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2022, 03:49 AM   #19
qrc36
"TRF" Member

I much prefer the 5146 vs the 5205. The day of week and month windows on the 5205 are not equally sized, which really drives me nuts every time I see it.

Several years back (pre-Covid) I put my name down for the 5205G blue dial and it arrived, luckily someone pointed it out to me before I purchased it. (I didn't buy it!)
qrc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 12:29 AM   #20
HoosAir
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711, 5167, 5146P
I have a 5146P. Didn’t really care about the P but I really liked the look of the watch with stick markers vs. the stick/Arabic combo of the G variants. A few thoughts:

- Beautiful watch at this price point. Very nicely finished, and a lot to look at on the face. Great relative value at this price point.
- Great size. I found the other Patek ACs too big for my taste
- Versatile. Dresses up/down.
- Case. Really nice lines, blends into the wrist, very comfortable.

Dislikes:
- Setting an AC in a PIA. I don’t wear it as much as I’d like because it is not grab and go.
- Slate face is beautiful, but a little hard to read in certain light.
- Movement. I find the 324 a little boring.
- Leather band. I personally don’t find leather that comfortable, particularly in summer.
HoosAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2022, 12:12 AM   #21
Champagnepapi
"TRF" Member

Lovely watch but if you plan on wearing it daily and you live in a country with hot weather then the strap will need to be changed as the sweat and moisture destroy it. This is a pic after the strap was changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Champagnepapi is offline   Reply With Quote