The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 31 January 2022, 03:12 AM   #1
bart12
"TRF" Member

5196G or 5196J? - Is the white gold considered a "classic dress watch"?

Hi everyone,

First and foremost, of course everyone should buy what speaks to themselves.

With that out of the way, I would like to hear some of your views with regards to the 5196G and the 5196J. On the one hand, people often state that the "ultimate" classic dress watch should be in yellow gold and of course the 96 was also released in yellow gold first. On the other hand, the 96 was manufactured in white gold as well with apparently only nine examples to have publicly appeared. Being a much rarer model (at least the 96, different story for the 5196) one could argue the white gold version is interesting and "classic" in its own way.

1) What are you guys' thoughts, should the 5196 come in yellow or in white gold?
2) Same question assuming it would be the only dress watch in your collection?

Interested to hear your opinions.. :-)
bart12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2022, 04:26 AM   #2
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
For my ultimate, classic dress watch, I bought a VC Traditionnelle and decided to get it in rose gold, since I don’t have any other gold in my collection and figured it made sense to have my one gold piece be on the “dress watch” in my collection. So I completely follow your logic here. In the end, go with which speaks to your heart, and know that you cannot possibly go wrong with this decision as the 5196 is classic. Pure dress watch nirvana IMHO. Good luck, and post pics of the incoming!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2022, 07:19 AM   #3
wetsum3
"TRF" Member

Both

G or J is acceptable for a dress piece. For a quintessential dress piece I think it's less about the metal and more about minimalist design, case size, thinness, and the strap choice. Choose a metal based on your wardrobe, existing collection, personal preference, etc. The R is also quite nice. Specifically to the 5196, it is a dress watch regardless of the metal. That is indisputable. I think it's good to have options on metal color. The G is rather monochromatic but also extremely versatile. So if you only have on dress watch, I would go G. If you have another white metal dress watch, then the 5196 is also about perfect in the J and R if you're looking for variety. I think the 5196G is a better "one dress watch" than the 6119G. If you wanted to stay with the patek family of watches, a nice pair would be the 5196R/J and a 6119G. If you only desire to own one dress watch tho, the 5196G is an excellent choice.
wetsum3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 12:59 AM   #4
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

YG has been the standard metal for dress watches for hundreds of years. However times change and it is a less popular metal today. Over the past 10+ years, Patek has been making less YG and more WG and RG.

Patek's RG looks fairly similar to the YG in my eyes.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 02:55 AM   #5
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

I have the 5196G, so I think that's the better looking choice. At the time of purchase I considered the J and R, but went with the G because it seemed more clean and cohesive as a whole.

On the G, the dial is a silvery light gray, which goes particularly well with the G metal color. On the J and R, there is more contrast between the dial color and the metal color, which made those look less sleek and elegant, and less modern, in my opinion.
MadSpaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 03:58 AM   #6
RollinMoses
"TRF" Member

I think you can’t go wrong with any of the 5196 variants.

I have the R and what l love about it is the fact that while it is a dress watch through and through, it can easily worn with jeans and a t-shirt and not look out of place. WG might be even more versatile.

This is a different story with my VC ultra-fine 1955. Also a stunning watch that I really love, but it does not have the ability to dress down at all.
RollinMoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 05:51 AM   #7
bart12
"TRF" Member

Thanks to all of you for your comments!

I'm aware of the dial differences, however I need to see the J in the flesh. I acquired the G last week (currently in the vault, see below side by side to a R). Another AD "promised" me a J which should arrive next month (seeing is believing). Ideally I would like to get this one as well, compare them next to each other and then decide based on looks but also factoring in inputs to my question above.

The R is definitely out of the question for me because of the silver dial and because I have/plan to have other sports models in that metal. Also the 6119 is too big for me personally and is also pushing it generally sizewise for a non-complicated dress watch imo. I acquired the 5196 out of fear that the successor will also be bigger. In a perfect world I am hoping for the successor to have a new movement and a display case back but still come in 37mm, which I guess is rather unlikely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1876.jpg (276.0 KB, 365 views)
Old 1 February 2022, 06:54 AM   #8
AHG
"TRF" Member

In a perfect world for me, they'd upgrade the movement and make it 36mm. Not banking on that though. Given the 6119 exists though, hopefully they'll keep the smaller sizing for the 5196 replacement.
AHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 08:24 PM   #9
bart12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHG View Post
In a perfect world for me, they'd upgrade the movement and make it 36mm. Not banking on that though. Given the 6119 exists though, hopefully they'll keep the smaller sizing for the 5196 replacement.
Completely agree, didn’t want to ask for too much so stayed at 37mm
Old 15 August 2022, 03:20 AM   #10
FrançoisCzapek
"TRF" Member

Watch: Classic Pateks
5196P takes this discontinued line to another level IMHO
FrançoisCzapek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2022, 10:41 AM   #11
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrançoisCzapek View Post
5196P takes this discontinued line to another level IMHO
This one has to be seen in the flesh too. I thought it was kind of meh myself in pictures, but in real life and you see the depth, it's quite the stunner.

Also, albeit an old thread with a necro bump, OP- I'd totally say the G. Reason being, I don't see this watch whatsoever as having to be a 'dress' piece. I like matching these 'traditional' models on various leather straps and wearing casually as well.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote