The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 12 March 2022, 04:26 AM   #61
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
Stunning and my top pick, congrats!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partekular View Post
Might I suggest that you flog the three also rans in part exchange for its partner, the 5320G?
Haha, I do love the 5320G and it was the one I was debating between with the 5172G. Unfortunately I don’t have the funds to buy both at the moment.

The Speedmaster I love enough to not sell it, the other two may go though to fund something else
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2022, 10:41 AM   #62
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtButt View Post
Well, I can’t believe I’m typing this but I got an unexpected message today that my watch arrived. It honestly feels a bit surreal and I I feel so incredibly lucky and grateful that I can enjoy something like this. I would have never thought this would be reality just a few years ago.

I think I must have gone to ten or so ADs and put my name down at each one. I heard everything from “we only do interest lists” to “you have a better chance getting a two tone gold Rolex than anything from Patek as a first time customer.” I was honestly mentally prepared to wait until the end of this year or next year. But this AD really came through… they were the last one I spoke to and got the watch for me in just over 2 weeks!

In any case, here are some crappy photos I took with my phone that don’t do the watch any justice. And also a big thanks to the people that spoke to me through PMs and gave me lots of valuable advice
See? You beat me to it.

However, I am not too far behind. My AD just told me that the watch was shipped out from Geneva and he should have it by next week. With some luck, I may see it the week after next. I wonder if PP decided to make a batch of 5172 in the same week...

Also, there is a surprise incoming with this shipment too.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2022, 10:45 AM   #63
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Might I suggest that you flog the three also rans in part exchange for its partner, the 5320G?
Great idea!
Old 12 March 2022, 01:58 PM   #64
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Congrats! That’s a lovely watch and I’m sure you’ll enjoy it!
Old 12 March 2022, 03:18 PM   #65
smallcollector
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
See? You beat me to it.

However, I am not too far behind. My AD just told me that the watch was shipped out from Geneva and he should have it by next week. With some luck, I may see it the week after next. I wonder if PP decided to make a batch of 5172 in the same week...

An additional surprise watch? What part of USA are you in?
smallcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2022, 08:17 PM   #66
eskiserkan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Great watch wear in good health, good comparison photo with speedy and blnr. Shows the perfect proportions of 5172. I am in the waiting list too..
eskiserkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2022, 08:31 PM   #67
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
See? You beat me to it.

I was honestly very surprised they got it so fast. I joked with my sales guy to please take his time on the next watch because I can't keep buying watches like this so often... my wallet needs time to recover.

You won't be disappointed with the 5172. I grab it first thing when I wake up just to see it's really there, I put it up to my ears to wind it and listen to the movement tick away while having tea, I stare at the open case back and try to notice something new... I think I have a real sickness now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladeshot View Post
Congrats! That’s a lovely watch and I’m sure you’ll enjoy it!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskiserkan View Post
Great watch wear in good health, good comparison photo with speedy and blnr. Shows the perfect proportions of 5172. I am in the waiting list too..
Thanks, you will love it!
Old 12 March 2022, 08:50 PM   #68
Victorx88x
"TRF" Member

Congrats!
Victorx88x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2022, 10:02 PM   #69
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
That's a beautiful watch! Enjoy it!
Old 13 March 2022, 01:18 AM   #70
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorx88x View Post
Congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
That's a beautiful watch! Enjoy it!
Thanks!

Quick question about something I just remembered for those of you with Patek purchases from ADs. When I picked up the watch my sales guy removed the watch sealed in plastic from the thin rectangular shipping box and cut it open in front of me. I thought it would be cool to keep everything it came with as a full set but when I asked if I could keep the shipping box I was told no. Is this to prevent flipping a brand new and sealed watch or is there some other reason for this?
Old 13 March 2022, 01:40 AM   #71
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallcollector View Post
An additional surprise watch? What part of USA are you in?
The 5172 in itself is already a surprise. As I posted earlier, I got an October confirmation but it is showing up now.

The other one is a sports model which did not even get a confirmation and my AD just called and did the “one more thing” thing when notifying me of my 5172.

I am in the US but I am not dealing with local AD as my area has too many whales.
Old 13 March 2022, 01:42 AM   #72
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks!

Quick question about something I just remembered for those of you with Patek purchases from ADs. When I picked up the watch my sales guy removed the watch sealed in plastic from the thin rectangular shipping box and cut it open in front of me. I thought it would be cool to keep everything it came with as a full set but when I asked if I could keep the shipping box I was told no. Is this to prevent flipping a brand new and sealed watch or is there some other reason for this?
Exactly.

When I bought my last Rolex, the AD was taking all the stickers off the watch and sticking them on the sales receipt and counting them to make sure he did not miss one.

Crazy
Old 13 March 2022, 01:45 AM   #73
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was honestly very surprised they got it so fast. I joked with my sales guy to please take his time on the next watch because I can't keep buying watches like this so often... my wallet needs time to recover.

You won't be disappointed with the 5172. I grab it first thing when I wake up just to see it's really there, I put it up to my ears to wind it and listen to the movement tick away while having tea, I stare at the open case back and try to notice something new... I think I have a real sickness now.

Thanks!

Thanks, you will love it!
I am very much looking for it.

And I am starting to develop a conspiracy theory that the watch makers are withholding the watches until the price increase. I have another watch from another brand on order for a while that I also just got confirmation that it will be arriving soon. That was a couple of weeks after a price increase was announced.
Old 13 March 2022, 07:22 AM   #74
smallcollector
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The 5172 in itself is already a surprise. As I posted earlier, I got an October confirmation but it is showing up now.

The other one is a sports model which did not even get a confirmation and my AD just called and did the “one more thing” thing when notifying me of my 5172.

I am in the US but I am not dealing with local AD as my area has too many whales.
Wow congrats! Can't wait to see!
smallcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2022, 07:43 AM   #75
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Exactly.

When I bought my last Rolex, the AD was taking all the stickers off the watch and sticking them on the sales receipt and counting them to make sure he did not miss one.

Crazy
Crazy times indeed.
Old 3 April 2022, 02:01 AM   #76
Graysk
"TRF" Member

🤩 May i ask, from which AD did you got it from?
Graysk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2022, 02:10 AM   #77
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graysk View Post
🤩 May i ask, from which AD did you got it from?
Cortina.
Old 3 April 2022, 02:35 AM   #78
chows99
"TRF" Member

Congratulations! Its really great when you found a AD that really works for you.

Enjoy the watch!
chows99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2022, 06:02 PM   #79
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chows99 View Post
Congratulations! Its really great when you found a AD that really works for you.

Enjoy the watch!
Thank you, it does seem very rare these days.
Old 4 April 2022, 02:59 AM   #80
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Mine just arrived this week. Gorgeous watch!

At first I was bumped that a salmon dial was announced but now that I have looked at the blue dial more, no regrets here.

My wife opened the box and tried it on before I can.

Old 4 April 2022, 03:41 AM   #81
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:

At first I was bumped that a salmon dial was announced but now that I have looked at the blue dial more, no regrets here.

Congrats! It really is such a great watch, I wear mine every chance I get. My wife has stolen mine to wear a few times as well but I don’t mind, I’d be happy if she got into watches as well
Old 4 April 2022, 04:42 AM   #82
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Congrats! It really is such a great watch, I wear mine every chance I get. My wife has stolen mine to wear a few times as well but I don’t mind, I’d be happy if she got into watches as well

My wife is planning on wearing it so we are contacting Henri Stern NY to see if they make the blue strap in short size.
Old 4 April 2022, 06:26 AM   #83
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My wife is planning on wearing it so we are contacting Henri Stern NY to see if they make the blue strap in short size.
Old 14 August 2022, 02:31 PM   #84
FrançoisCzapek
"TRF" Member

Watch: Classic Pateks
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraKai2020 View Post
I just added a orange leather strap - definitely digging it. I only wear t-shirts and flip flops - it's a very versatile watch....

Attachment 1269201
Hey I love this pic! Any more advice on dressing down this kind of watch with a more casual strap? My AD discourages changing the strap yourself!
FrançoisCzapek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2022, 12:31 AM   #85
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrançoisCzapek View Post
Hey I love this pic! Any more advice on dressing down this kind of watch with a more casual strap? My AD discourages changing the strap yourself!
The 5172 in blue strap is quite casual already. And changing strap is quite easy as it has quick change spring bars. The only hard part is the tiny screw on the buckle but with the correct watchmaker screwdriver, a tweezer and steady hand, it is not hard to do at all.

If you are concerned, order an extra screw from the AD in case you drop and lost it.
Old 16 August 2022, 01:22 AM   #86
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

The tiny screw is why I ordered a tang buckle for easy strap changes
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2022, 07:31 PM   #87
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The 5172 in blue strap is quite casual already. And changing strap is quite easy as it has quick change spring bars. The only hard part is the tiny screw on the buckle but with the correct watchmaker screwdriver, a tweezer and steady hand, it is not hard to do at all.

If you are concerned, order an extra screw from the AD in case you drop and lost it.
Good advice about the extra screw. I am a bit ham fisted and although I managed to get the minuscule screw out an replace it I did damage the screw head. Not only did I need a steady hand but also a magnifying glass!

I think the PP fast release pins are great but I do not understand why they haven’t come up with a better design for removing the deployant. Maddening!
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2022, 03:27 AM   #88
SudiYunus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier Panthere
Quote:

Beautiful PP, congratz !!!
DJ 36 White Dial ,CasiOak
Sub ND
SudiYunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2022, 04:11 AM   #89
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Good advice about the extra screw. I am a bit ham fisted and although I managed to get the minuscule screw out an replace it I did damage the screw head. Not only did I need a steady hand but also a magnifying glass!

I think the PP fast release pins are great but I do not understand why they haven’t come up with a better design for removing the deployant. Maddening!
I am a little panicky and always get spares of everything.
Old 22 August 2022, 04:12 AM   #90
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SudiYunus View Post
Beautiful PP, congratz !!!
Thanks! This is one of the two Pateks which I absolutely love. (Not Aquanauts nor Nautilius)