The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 8 June 2022, 08:44 AM   #31
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykii View Post
The 5196 is an incredible reference - especially because with so many "new" collectors it has just about become an almost contrarian choice. Unlike others here, I think it wears svelte on the wrist. Much nicer than a ALS (I tried to love it, but the wearing experience isn't there due to the thickness), and perhaps only second to FPJs cases in my books (but that isn't for everyone). But that is opinion - what is fact is that Patek's reference 96 case design is the one that started it all and is - without exception - the most timeless of all watch case designs. The 5196 is pure dress watch DNA, and I have yet to see a purer modern example of this for many reasons.

Here's my 2c as someone collecting for more than a decade, and with insight from my Patek source: Yes, the 5196 was infact discontinued several months ago (quietly, with final stock being rationed out early in 2022). Eventually, either this year or in coming years, there will be a model with the new 30 225 PS movement (meh - this means cut-off markers and asymmetry) and, from my source, likely an exhibition caseback (a departure in the purist design of the 5196 Calatrava which, frankly, I also don't see as a positive). The 5196 was the only watch of its kind that has stayed pure to a closed caseback and this is part of what makes it differentiated from the sea of other dress watches with sapphire casebacks showing rather uninteresting movements. But the biggest trade-off will be SIZE - with the larger movement comes a larger watch and, for me, the 37mm size is another critical design element that makes the 5196 perfect on the wrist and the ultimate dress watch. The smaller movement also achieved a perfectly symmetrical dial that also differentiates it from all prior Calatrava models, and now with the larger movements, it is a defining feature that will differentiate the 5196 from all future Calatrava models too. Personally, I wouldn't want the Caltrava to be a single mm larger for this reason alone, let alone the fact 37mm is a perfect middle-ground for small and large wrists alike.

The 5196 is such a pure design thst most people find fault in the 5196 for how boring it is, but to me this austerity is why it is so beautiful and timeless. It's a watch that looked good 10 years ago and will look just as good 100 years from now - true heirloom stuff.

If size and design DNA is important to you, get one while you can.

100% agree. Well said. I'm not ready to buy one yet, but I may need to ready to jump sooner than later if an opportunity presents. Last time I was at my AD (2021) they had a Rose gold... I think I'd prefer the yellow (or white) tough choice. All are nice and I've tried all on (except the P).

I hope a replacement will be 37mm or less...and solid case back. Not counting my chickens....hence I need to get a 5196 while I can.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2022, 02:47 AM   #32
imran16520
"TRF" Member

Solid case back, you don’t even see the movement, this whole thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
I liked the aesthetics of the 5196 but the movement was way too small for that size.
Oh the movement is too small is just bollox
imran16520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2022, 07:55 AM   #33
Oliver_Wilson
Banned

It is available for under $30K. No worries.
Oliver_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 02:00 PM   #34
FrançoisCzapek
"TRF" Member

Watch: Classic Pateks
Love the 5196 but only in platinum with the Bregeut numerals. The minimalist look and color keep making me wonder how casually I can wear it, especially with a dark blue strap.
FrançoisCzapek is offline   Reply With Quote