The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 9 November 2019, 07:12 AM   #1
milwatch126
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1962, 5512
Daytona 16520 service parts and originals any differences? A serial.

Hi all,

I have a steel Daytona 16520 with Rolex London for a full movement service this requires a new crown (as usual). Rolex have also asked if I would like optional parts exchanged and replaced (one pusher and the crystal). My question is does anyone know if these service parts would differ with any little nuances from the originals on an A serial steel Daytona from 1999?

Thanks,
M
milwatch126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2019, 09:43 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
The new crystal would have the Rolex coronet mark; the pusher would be the same in appearance as any other.

I don't think that they made any changes in the decade of the 16520 production except slight dial variances.
Old 9 November 2019, 09:38 PM   #3
DGB
"TRF" Member

Any internal piece is fine to replace by RSC,
Rolex can also replace external parts, original of course but not from the exact period.
This will ruin your watch from a collector point of view.
DGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2019, 08:35 AM   #4
athom
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGB View Post
Rolex can also replace external parts, original of course but not from the exact period.
Are you sure ? Which part could be replaced by rolex on a 16520 A serie from the wrong period?
athom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2019, 08:50 AM   #5
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGB View Post
It's a bit of a myth, this idea that Rolex will replace dials, hands, bezels/inserts without telling you in advance. It would need to be itemized on the service estimate, including the price. You can tell them you only want the movement serviced, and nothing else replaced and no polishing. If they say no for whatever reason, you can always walk.

I'm not saying there haven't been some horror stories and miscommunication with RSCs through the decades, but if you get it in writing on the service paperwork exactly what will be done, you'll be fine. I've done it a couple of times at the NYC RSC with two vintage Subs and a vintage GMT and had no issues.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 12:20 PM   #6
1watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
It's a bit of a myth, this idea that Rolex will replace dials, hands, bezels/inserts without telling you in advance. It would need to be itemized on the service estimate, including the price. You can tell them you only want the movement serviced, and nothing else replaced and no polishing. If they say no for whatever reason, you can always walk.

I'm not saying there haven't been some horror stories and miscommunication with RSCs through the decades, but if you get it in writing on the service paperwork exactly what will be done, you'll be fine. I've done it a couple of times at the NYC RSC with two vintage Subs and a vintage GMT and had no issues.

I would be very explicit in writing to let them do a service only, no replacement parts. If parts really need to be replaced for pressure resistance integrity, I would use a reputable independent watchmaker who has access to and would use oem, period correct replacement parts. Otherwise, you run the risk of negatively impacting value on your 16520.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2019, 12:02 AM   #7
77T
2024 Pledge Member

The only thing is if you told them “no polishing”, then the new pusher would be shinier methinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2019, 08:45 AM   #8
roystrex
"TRF" Member

I have a U series I want to service. How much did they ask?
roystrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 02:42 AM   #9
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models

I know the 16520 isn’t a vintage watch but this topic already existed. Probably should be moved to the Technical or General forum.

Anyway...

This is a good topic as some folks wonder if replaced parts during a RSC visit will differ than what’s replaced.

I just wanted to provide some updates from research done before buying my 16520 A-serial. I've even searched the older classified post on this web site.

There are two dial and bezel variants for P, A & U "swiss made" models.

Dial:
- 2 dials exist. easiest way to tell them apart is what letter in "MADE" the 28 min marker is under.
* Older dials have the 28 min marker directly under "A" while newer dials (maybe service dial?) are in-between the "A" and "D".
*Nearly every 16520 I've seen advertised as openly having a service dial, had the "28 min pointing ii-between A and D" dial. Same goes for many dials advertised for sale as "NOS".

Bezel:
- I found 2 variants. Very subtle. Easiest way to tell is by looking at any of the three "6"s on it. Earlier bezel I've seen have smaller loop "6" while newer ones have a larger loop "6". Same goes for "9"s
*I know current 16520 bezels in-stock at RSCs have the larger loop "6".
*Also the "N" in "UNITS" looks more like an H than N.

All written is just from my observations. If veteran members who recall P, A and U 16520s have more info to share, that's appreciated.

jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 05:44 AM   #10
1665fan
"TRF" Member

The early A series came with the first bezel that is also like the s,t,w,some u serials and the late A serials got the second batch which is the same as the 116520
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 05:59 AM   #11
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
The early A series came with the first bezel that is also like the s,t,w,some u serials and the late A serials got the second batch which is the same as the 116520

Thanks 1665fan.

I was finally able to get my hands on The Self Winding Daytona book today. It's a newer book and contains some info not found on sites yet w/ Daytona sections.

The authors touched on the dial but not the bezel.

Looks like another dial variant / Mark has emerged.
Old 19 January 2020, 08:38 AM   #12
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Thank you for posting this comparison of 16520 variants. After examining the 2 white dial models listed above I see my A7 serial is identical to the first one listed (elongated 6’s on the Bezel & 28 min marker perfectly aligned under the A).
Old 2 February 2020, 01:29 AM   #13
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmi32 View Post
Great pics! Last time I had my 16520 serviced was back in 2004 and it cost about $540. I am not looking forward to the next service.

It's rough. Yes.

I'm being charged $1,250 for the service. Don't need a new SS crown which surprised me as Rolex always required me to get a new one in the past (every watch). They said the crystal is also required to be replaced for $100.40 (SAPPHIRE CRYSTAL D29.5 1.8 & GASKET) .

I optioned a replacement bezel for $230 (16520 400-TAC ST) only since they approved mailing me back the my SS original which is an earlier Mark. Looks to be the same bezel as on 116520s as they were shared. Also wanted an extra link for $65 (EXTENSION LINK 78390 16 ST). I was told the crystal will be one w/o the nearly invisible etched logo and the link will be a hollow centered link version. No idea if true but we'll see.

Yeah, it's a costly service but not sure when it was ever serviced since being purchased in early 2000.

Last edited by jaisonline; 2 February 2020 at 01:30 AM.. Reason: Note : same post as another thread in reply but thought folks here would be interested in the outcome of service replacements
Old 6 February 2020, 08:13 AM   #14
sunnyxuan106
"TRF" Member

I have a 16520 N series with service crystal (I also have the old one), they look identical.
sunnyxuan106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2020, 11:28 PM   #15
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyxuan106 View Post
I have a 16520 N series with service crystal (I also have the old one), they look identical.
Check the very bottom of the service crystal....if the service was done recently it should have the LEC coronet...they all do now
Old 7 February 2020, 11:44 PM   #16
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

I thought the same until RSC Dallas told me otherwise. I was specifically told my replacement crystal will not have the laser etched coronet.

My watch will returned in another 3-4 weeks.

Don’t care either way but it is kinda cool if RSC still produces these crystals to remain ‘original’.

I’ll upload a pic when the watch is returned.

Quote:
Check the very bottom of the service crystal....if the service was done recently it should have the LEC coronet...they all do now
Old 7 February 2020, 10:57 PM   #17
1watch
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing the service cost estimates. I’m going the independent route in near future with my A series. Good info on the bezel differences as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 09:24 PM   #18
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Rolex Dallas returned my 16520 just before their shutdown.

Not that I care but the replacement crystal had the laser etched Coronet. I was originally told the replacement crystal wouldn’t have it.
Old 28 March 2020, 10:34 PM   #19
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline View Post
Rolex Dallas returned my 16520 just before their shutdown.

Not that I care but the replacement crystal had the laser etched Coronet. I was originally told the replacement crystal wouldn’t have it.
They all have the laser etched crown now....they don’t what the hell they are talking about when they said you would get a crystal without it lol
Old 28 March 2020, 11:53 PM   #20
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
They all have the laser etched crown now....they don’t what the hell they are talking about when they said you would get a crystal without it lol

Yep.

I’m just happy they returned my original small hole 6 & 9 bezel :)

Not that it’s easy to tell the mark 3 from 4 bezels more than 12” away. Heck, I can barely tell time on this watch from 18” away even w/ wearing my glasses.

I also left the watch u polished and purchased a time period correct extra link (not bad for $57).

Old 29 March 2020, 12:06 AM   #21
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Super clean watch, a lot better than most 16520...I have one that was serviced probably 3-4 years ago and received the LEC so that’s what they have

Tags
16520 , daytona