The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX


Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 February 2018, 09:52 AM   #1
DoctorA
2019 Pledge Member
 
DoctorA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 5,055
A born Pepsi or “made” Pepsi. Any difference in value?

Hello fellow TRF folks

I want to get a Pepsi. Does it matter value wise if I get a 16710 black insert and put a Pepsi insert on it vs getting a Pepsi born 16710?

Thanks in advance!
__________________
Wear the watch you like, not the one they tell you to wear!
DoctorA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 09:53 AM   #2
s14roller
"TRF" Member
 
s14roller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: US
Posts: 3,095
I'd imagine there would be...when I had a 16710, I specifically looked for a 16710B.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 09:54 AM   #3
SteelSubmarinerGuy
"TRF" Member
 
SteelSubmarinerGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 508
From collectibility stand point I’d say yeah, if you care about that part not so much


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SteelSubmarinerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 09:56 AM   #4
ttomczak
2019 SKY-DWELLER Pledge Member
 
ttomczak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Real Name: Tom
Location: North Carolina
Watch: Snoopy
Posts: 2,541
To you to wear it, no...

I think a lot of people switch up inserts to get a different look as long as it isn’t sold as such.
__________________
If you wind it, it tells pretty good time
(Paul Newman)
ttomczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 09:58 AM   #5
SteelSubmarinerGuy
"TRF" Member
 
SteelSubmarinerGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelSubmarinerGuy View Post
From collectibility stand point I’d say yeah, if you care about that part not so much


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


If you don’t care about collectibility then not so much...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SteelSubmarinerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 09:58 AM   #6
springer
2019 SKY-DWELLER Giveaway Sponsor
 
springer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Real Name: jP
Location: Texas
Watch: GMT-MASTER
Posts: 14,552
There was no bezel insert coding on the USA warranty papers prior to 1998/99 so how would you know? All GMTs from the 16750, 16760 and early 16710/16700s had the A coding (or A30) within the USA style number found on the warranty paper. Also, many other sport models contained the same A30 coding in the style number.

As far as later insert colors go, inserts were easily changed and I have not seen anything significant from many years of ownership that would indicate price variations between the inserts colors. It might might a difference to those anal enough to need a certain color coded on their warranty paper, but to most it does not.
__________________
"If the game is rigged, you can't lose if you don't play."

Member of NAWCC since 1990.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 09:59 AM   #7
henrylee
"TRF" Member
 
henrylee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Socal
Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Posts: 1,977
You can only differentiate on the original paper certificate. I would prefer buying the better condition watch.
__________________
Submariner Date Ceramic 116610LN 2011
GMT Master II BLNR Ceramic 116710BLNR 2016
GMT Master II 16710 Y-series (Pepsi, Coke, LN, "pink", and "ghost")
Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch July 2019
Grand Seiko 4522-8000, Seiko 6138-8020 Panda, Seiko SDW664 Lumibrite Mickey Mouse
henrylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 10:31 AM   #8
rushca01
"TRF" Member
 
rushca01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Indiana
Watch: Daytona
Posts: 1,162
A born Pepsi or “made” Pepsi. Any difference in value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
There was no bezel insert coding on the USA warranty papers prior to 1998/99 so how would you know? All GMTs from the 16750, 16760 and early 16710/16700s had the A coding (or A30) within the USA style number found on the warranty paper. Also, many other sport models contained the same A30 coding in the style number.



As far as later insert colors go, inserts were easily changed and I have not seen anything significant from many years of ownership that would indicate price variations between the inserts colors. It might might a difference to those anal enough to need a certain color coded on their warranty paper, but to most it does not.


Quote:
Originally Posted by henrylee View Post
You can only differentiate on the original paper certificate. I would prefer buying the better condition watch.


Agree with both these statements.

Bought this last September right in the middle of the price increase for 5900. It originally had a black insert. I sourced both a Pepsi and coke insert for it (250). I sent it la watch weeks and they touched up the case (750). All told I’m into the watch 6900 and have three insert choices.

rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 10:38 AM   #9
breitlings
2019 SKY-DWELLER Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: USA
Watch: Roku
Posts: 5,065
i'd say a near 0 amount.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 10:47 AM   #10
g-boac
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: N/A
Posts: 337
If you are buying a loose watch, then you can't tell. If buying a GMT-Master II originally sold in USA as a full set, it is fair to consider this: the warranty papers indicate the original configuration of the watch from the factory. It ultimately is up to the market to determine whether this has value and how much; but generally speaking, you can expect a given attribute to have some valuation.

Condition being equal, I think it's reasonably fair to expect you'll find that sellers will ask, and buyers will pay, a reasonable premium for an original ("born") Pepsi. All three variants have their own unique looks, but the Pepsi bezel traces its look to the look of the original 6542.

As others have said here, when it comes to enjoying the watch, all three inserts are interchangeable, regardless of what came from the factory. Incidentally the codes on the papers were:

16710A = Coke
16710B = Pepsi
16710N = Black ("Noir")

A couple other points: the first generation GMT-Master II, the 16760 "fat lady" only came in the black/red Coke bezel. Approximate date of production 1983-1988.

The final generation GMT-Master, the 16700, only came in blue/red Pepsi bezel.

The second (and final) generation GMT-Master II, the 16710 was the one that came in all three variants of bezel, and overall, had the richest variation of parts throughout its production lifecycle. In addition the featuring Coke, Pepsi, and black bezels, this reference featured tritium, Luminova (SWISS -only dials), and Super-Luminova ("Swiss Made") dials. It also featured two distinct movements: the 3185 movement for most of the production, and a small batch of 3186 movements that went into the final production models. The cases featured lug holes (up through the K-serial) and no lug holes; while bracelets featured both stamped and solid endlinks.

Any way you go, the 16710 is a watch you can't collect too many of! ;)
g-boac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 10:55 AM   #11
directioneng
2019 SKY-DWELLER Pledge Member
 
directioneng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 29,812
JP nailed it.
__________________
E

directioneng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 11:00 AM   #12
fskywalker
2019 HARRODS BB Pledge Member
 
fskywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Real Name: Francisco
Location: San Juan, PR
Watch: Is Ticking !
Posts: 10,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrylee View Post
You can only differentiate on the original paper certificate. I would prefer buying the better condition watch.
This!
__________________
Francisco
♛ 16610 / 18239
Ω 2535.80 / 3592.50 / 2232.30 / 2504.52 / 168.022
★ 01.372.400
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 11:11 AM   #13
2th_doc
"TRF" Member
 
2th_doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Atl
Posts: 849
https://youtu.be/qvV0SMY4is8


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2th_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 11:29 AM   #14
BrazenC5
2019 SKY-DWELLER Pledge Member
 
BrazenC5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Real Name: Chris
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Watch: 1680, 5513, SD4K
Posts: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2th_doc View Post
https://youtu.be/qvV0SMY4is8


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lulz. Listen to this distinguished expert, he knows his $h!t.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
__________________
IG: watch.dogs1
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 11:31 AM   #15
red1108nyc
2019 DEEPSEA Pledge Member
 
red1108nyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Real Name: Fred
Location: NYC/NJ Metro Area
Watch: Rolex
Posts: 7,701
Condition of the watch matters most for me.
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 11:34 AM   #16
springer
2019 SKY-DWELLER Giveaway Sponsor
 
springer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Real Name: jP
Location: Texas
Watch: GMT-MASTER
Posts: 14,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-boac View Post
If you are buying a loose watch, then you can't tell. If buying a GMT-Master II originally sold in USA as a full set, it is fair to consider this: the warranty papers indicate the original configuration of the watch from the factory. It ultimately is up to the market to determine whether this has value and how much; but generally speaking, you can expect a given attribute to have some valuation.

Condition being equal, I think it's reasonably fair to expect you'll find that sellers will ask, and buyers will pay, a reasonable premium for an original ("born") Pepsi. All three variants have their own unique looks, but the Pepsi bezel traces its look to the look of the original 6542.

As others have said here, when it comes to enjoying the watch, all three inserts are interchangeable, regardless of what came from the factory. Incidentally the codes on the papers were:

16710A = Coke
16710B = Pepsi
16710N = Black ("Noir")

A couple other points: the first generation GMT-Master II, the 16760 "fat lady" only came in the black/red Coke bezel. Approximate date of production 1983-1988.

The final generation GMT-Master, the 16700, only came in blue/red Pepsi bezel.

The second (and final) generation GMT-Master II, the 16710 was the one that came in all three variants of bezel, and overall, had the richest variation of parts throughout its production lifecycle. In addition the featuring Coke, Pepsi, and black bezels, this reference featured tritium, Luminova (SWISS -only dials), and Super-Luminova ("Swiss Made") dials. It also featured two distinct movements: the 3185 movement for most of the production, and a small batch of 3186 movements that went into the final production models. The cases featured lug holes (up through the K-serial) and no lug holes; while bracelets featured both stamped and solid endlinks.

Any way you go, the 16710 is a watch you can't collect too many of! ;)
There is very little correct in your post - -especially regarding bezel insert coding. Please read my post for a tutorial on the inserts and when the USA papers were coded with insert colors.

Where you came up with this info is beyond me. As an example, to say that the GMT 16700 only came with a red/blue insert is a prime example of misinformation in your post. If you ever look inside the 1990s GMT owner's manual, you will clearly see a 16700 there wearing a black insert.
__________________
"If the game is rigged, you can't lose if you don't play."

Member of NAWCC since 1990.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 11:49 AM   #17
meyers
"TRF" Member
 
meyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: ○
Watch: 16710
Posts: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
There was no bezel insert coding on the USA warranty papers prior to 1998/99 so how would you know? All GMTs from the 16750, 16760 and early 16710/16700s had the A coding (or A30) within the USA style number found on the warranty paper. Also, many other sport models contained the same A30 coding in the style number.
My 16710 warranty paper (1999) shows A30, so not necessarily a "born" Coke then? Had always understood the letter designations as g-boac's post outlined. Learned something new
meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 12:47 PM   #18
springer
2019 SKY-DWELLER Giveaway Sponsor
 
springer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Real Name: jP
Location: Texas
Watch: GMT-MASTER
Posts: 14,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyers View Post
My 16710 warranty paper (1999) shows A30, so not necessarily a "born" Coke then? Had always understood the letter designations as g-boac's post outlined. Learned something new
The first use of the letter codes was around 1998/99. Yours is probably correct - that being a "coke" insert.
__________________
"If the game is rigged, you can't lose if you don't play."

Member of NAWCC since 1990.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 12:58 PM   #19
drmizzou
2019 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Real Name: Enthusiast!
Location: Midwest
Watch: Collector!
Posts: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-boac View Post
If you are buying a loose watch, then you can't tell. If buying a GMT-Master II originally sold in USA as a full set, it is fair to consider this: the warranty papers indicate the original configuration of the watch from the factory. It ultimately is up to the market to determine whether this has value and how much; but generally speaking, you can expect a given attribute to have some valuation.

Condition being equal, I think it's reasonably fair to expect you'll find that sellers will ask, and buyers will pay, a reasonable premium for an original ("born") Pepsi. All three variants have their own unique looks, but the Pepsi bezel traces its look to the look of the original 6542.

As others have said here, when it comes to enjoying the watch, all three inserts are interchangeable, regardless of what came from the factory. Incidentally the codes on the papers were:

16710A = Coke
16710B = Pepsi
16710N = Black ("Noir")

A couple other points: the first generation GMT-Master II, the 16760 "fat lady" only came in the black/red Coke bezel. Approximate date of production 1983-1988.

The final generation GMT-Master, the 16700, only came in blue/red Pepsi bezel.

The second (and final) generation GMT-Master II, the 16710 was the one that came in all three variants of bezel, and overall, had the richest variation of parts throughout its production lifecycle. In addition the featuring Coke, Pepsi, and black bezels, this reference featured tritium, Luminova (SWISS -only dials), and Super-Luminova ("Swiss Made") dials. It also featured two distinct movements: the 3185 movement for most of the production, and a small batch of 3186 movements that went into the final production models. The cases featured lug holes (up through the K-serial) and no lug holes; while bracelets featured both stamped and solid endlinks.

Any way you go, the 16710 is a watch you can't collect too many of! ;)
Excellent summary!
drmizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 12:59 PM   #20
g-boac
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: N/A
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
There is very little correct in your post - -especially regarding bezel insert coding. Please read my post for a tutorial on the inserts and when the USA papers were coded with insert colors.

Where you came up with this info is beyond me. As an example, to say that the GMT 16700 only came with a red/blue insert is a prime example of misinformation in your post. If you ever look inside the 1990s GMT owner's manual, you will clearly see a 16700 there wearing a black insert.
The information above was posted in good faith and based on best recollection of a number of posts primarily here on TRF over the years. As an example, here is a link to discussion on letter codes on USA warranty papers on TRF consistent with what I wrote above:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=384096

I recalled reading that the 16700 was only available with a Pepsi bezel, but between your post and further research, I stand corrected and apologize for my mistake: it appears the 16700 was indeed available with both Pepsi and black bezels. In fact, the part number for the black bezel used on the 16710 references the 16700: 315-16700-1. As does the part number for the Pepsi bezel used on the 16710: 315-16700-6:

http://www.gmtmasterhistory.com/gmt-...ref_16710.html

To moderators if possible, I respectfully request and welcome either your edits to delete the inaccurate information or delete my post entirely, or the chance to edit my post to correct it. Thanks to everyone for their replies - one great thing about this forum among many is the opportunity to share knowledge, converge on the correct answer, and I always appreciate the chance to learn.
g-boac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 02:44 PM   #21
DoctorA
2019 Pledge Member
 
DoctorA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 5,055
Wow I now really want a 16710 any insert in good condition
__________________
Wear the watch you like, not the one they tell you to wear!
DoctorA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 03:23 PM   #22
jb335
2019 Pledge Member
 
jb335's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: The States
Watch: Daytona
Posts: 2,108
I love when Springer spits knowledge.

I hope one day someone turns his posts into an audiobook.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 03:44 PM   #23
Chewbacca
2019 SKY-DWELLER Pledge Member
 
Chewbacca's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Real Name: CJ
Location: Kashyyyk
Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Posts: 11,987
depends on the final price.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 04:27 PM   #24
DoctorA
2019 Pledge Member
 
DoctorA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 5,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
I love when Springer spits knowledge.

I hope one day someone turns his posts into an audiobook.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will start a “list” and take deposits for the audio book
__________________
Wear the watch you like, not the one they tell you to wear!
DoctorA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 05:17 PM   #25
Boaters
2019 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Real Name: Mike
Location: Pacific Northwest
Watch: 116610 LVc 16710
Posts: 7,364
J/P is the best this forum is very lucky to have him!
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2019, 08:01 PM   #26
Swaye
2019 SKY-DWELLER Pledge Member
 
Swaye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: USA
Watch: What I am wearing.
Posts: 953
Thread resurrection time. Lots of great info in here about USA coding and determinations around the original shipped state of a GMT. However, I recently purchased a nice A serial (1999) 16710 originally purchased in the Netherlands. There are no identifying numbers on the warranty besides serial number, and the green hang tag simply has "16710" on it.

Should I assume that while the USA started detailing which insert a watch shipped with in 1998/99, other parts of the world had not, and so there is no way to determine precisely which insert your 16710 was "born" with?
__________________
♛ Day Date 228206 Ice Blue ♛ Sky Dweller 326934 Blue ♛ Submariner 11610LV Kermit ♛ Submariner 116610LV Hulk ♛ Sea Dweller 116600 SD4K ♛ GMT 16753 Root Beer ♛ GMT 16750 Pepsi ♛ GMT 16710 Coke ♛ GMT 116710LN ♛ GMT 126715CHNR ♛ GMT 126710BLRO ♛ GMT 116710BLNR ♛ Air King 114200 Salmon ♛ Datejust 178273 MOP TUDOR Heritage Chrono 70330N

_______________________________
"I'm not playing hard to get, I'm playing hard to want."
Swaye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2019, 08:02 PM   #27
Swaye
2019 SKY-DWELLER Pledge Member
 
Swaye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: USA
Watch: What I am wearing.
Posts: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaters View Post
J/P is the best this forum is very lucky to have him!
Agree. He has helped me immensely. I almost just asked my above question of him directly, but I am trying to give him a break.
__________________
♛ Day Date 228206 Ice Blue ♛ Sky Dweller 326934 Blue ♛ Submariner 11610LV Kermit ♛ Submariner 116610LV Hulk ♛ Sea Dweller 116600 SD4K ♛ GMT 16753 Root Beer ♛ GMT 16750 Pepsi ♛ GMT 16710 Coke ♛ GMT 116710LN ♛ GMT 126715CHNR ♛ GMT 126710BLRO ♛ GMT 116710BLNR ♛ Air King 114200 Salmon ♛ Datejust 178273 MOP TUDOR Heritage Chrono 70330N

_______________________________
"I'm not playing hard to get, I'm playing hard to want."
Swaye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2019, 08:19 PM   #28
padi56
Moderator & 2019 SKY-DWELLER Patron
 
padi56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Real Name: Peter
Location: Llanfairpwllgwyng
Watch: ing you.
Posts: 44,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
Hello fellow TRF folks

I want to get a Pepsi. Does it matter value wise if I get a 16710 black insert and put a Pepsi insert on it vs getting a Pepsi born 16710?

Thanks in advance!
No in the real world the 16710 was made to have interchangeable inserts,and in many countries no indication of colour insert was on the paperwork till the last few years of production. Then mainly USA as Rolex USA is a separate company from Rolex SA.
__________________

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2019, 08:22 PM   #29
theflywrist
"TRF" Member
 
theflywrist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Stratosphere
Posts: 1,614
Nah! Its impossible to say that it doesn't matter to anybody, but I'd say the vast majority would not care.
It's all about condition of the particular example really. If it is an early 16710, its impossible to tell anyway, not to mention even later ones without papers will never be able to tell for sure how they were "born".
Don't worry about these things, enjoy your hunt. Pay a premium for better quality, not for the one that was originally sold as a Pepsi! Good luck
theflywrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2019, 08:40 PM   #30
mmaggi
"TRF" Member
 
mmaggi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Real Name: Michael
Location: Nassau County, NY
Watch: 16710
Posts: 240
Unless you're a collector, no, it doesn't matter. Buy what you like, wear what you like. YOLO.
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Banners Of The Month

Banners Of The Month
*Banners Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2019, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.