The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 23 November 2020, 08:13 PM   #1
fairfax
"TRF" Member

Travel watch recomendation to compliment eccletic collection

Lately I have been consolidating my watch collection and have mostly settled to keep only the ones that still bring joy. The funny thing is that I have all sold off all my watches from well-known brands. I feel like I've gone through enough trends to take more risk in the independent or lesser known brands. The question is what I should settle on for my travel/tool(lite) watch. I'm looking for something that still has 10bar water resistance, good shock-proofing, fits on a 6 3/4 in wrist. Here is my current collection:

Moser Endeavor Perpetual 1 Palladium w/ double hairspring

Gronefeld 1941 Remontoire x Voutilainen dial steel

JLC Reverso Sun Moon RG

Bulgari Octo Finissimo Automatic Tourbillon Titanium

JLC Duometre a Quantieme Lunaire Enamel

Habring2 Foudroyante Felix

Rolex Daytona 6263

Rolex Milgauss 6541

Rolex GMT Master 6542

Tudor Homeplate 7032

Frodsham YG (on wait list)

I'm looking to replace my travel/tool(lite), which currently is the original Montblanc Riessec steel, with something else. Mainly, it's because it's only 3bar water resistance and I'd like to swim with it comfortably. I'm fortunate enough to have sold off my other watches to accrue quite a healthy budget so pricing isn't too much of a concern. Here are the ones I'm considering:

MB&F LM Perpetual EVO

De Bethune DB28G

Are there any other recommendations that fall into this line? Would love to hear everyone's thought! Many thanks.
fairfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 08:17 PM   #2
VFA
"TRF" Member

Wow. Please post pictures of your tasteful collection.
VFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 08:32 PM   #3
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Casio G-Shock.

Not really joking as it's the one I grab when I'm headed to locales of harsh conditions and/or dubious repute. There's room in any collection, no matter how high horologically, for a built-for-purpose indestructible tool watch...
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 08:57 PM   #4
Slider817
"TRF" Member

Watch: Journe, AP & Lange
Would love to see some pictures of the collection.

I know many will disagree, but an expensive watch isn’t really a tool watch. I’ve broken the crystal trice on my Milgauss GV, Broken a vintage JLC, wrecked an IWC Big Pilot. Each of these mistakes cost me quite a bit, and left me without the watches for quite a long time. I no longer take my nice watches along while fishing, biking, tinkering in the garage, and when I travel, I usually take a nice watch on the plane, but pack along an inexpensive beater watch. For me that’s usually an Omega Seamaster (I know not very cheap) or a G-Shock.

The whole premise of watches like the Royal Oak or Nautilus at today’s prices stops really making any sense. Al the more so an MB&F or a De Bethune where their ruggedness is unproven and service times and pricing are very high.
Slider817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 12:00 AM   #5
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairfax View Post
Lately I have been consolidating my watch collection and have mostly settled to keep only the ones that still bring joy. The funny thing is that I have all sold off all my watches from well-known brands. I feel like I've gone through enough trends to take more risk in the independent or lesser known brands. The question is what I should settle on for my travel/tool(lite) watch. I'm looking for something that still has 10bar water resistance, good shock-proofing, fits on a 6 3/4 in wrist. Here is my current collection:

JLC Reverso Sun Moon RG

Rolex Daytona 6263

Rolex Milgauss 6541

Rolex GMT Master 6542

Tudor Homeplate 7032

I'm looking to replace my travel/tool(lite), which currently is the original Montblanc Riessec steel, with something else. Mainly, it's because it's only 3bar water resistance and I'd like to swim with it comfortably. I'm fortunate enough to have sold off my other watches to accrue quite a healthy budget so pricing isn't too much of a concern. Here are the ones I'm considering:

MB&F LM Perpetual EVO

De Bethune DB28G

Are there any other recommendations that fall into this line? Would love to hear everyone's thought! Many thanks.
Greubel Forsay GMT Sport.

https://www.greubelforsey.com/en/collection/gmt-sport/

100m water resistence in a wonderful package, it would be an excellent addition to your amazing collection.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 12:23 AM   #6
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Have you considered the Patek 5164 for your travel watch? I would love to see a photo of your Gronefeld.
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 02:12 AM   #7
Lamontsanders
"TRF" Member

Sky-Dweller if you are OK with a bigger watch. Tudor GMT if you are OK with a bigger watch that isn't as expensive. Rolex 16570 would also probably fit the bill if you want a smaller watch that isn't Fort Knox on the wrist. Patek 5164 makes a lot of sense if you want a nicer watch for travel but grey prices are atrocious right now.
Lamontsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 02:21 AM   #8
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

First, you have a wonderful and diverse collection. Bravo!

Travel and you need WR... Panerai PAM01033 GMT imho for SS, they do offer gold options too. On my 01033 it is very easy to change straps from SCUBA diving rubber strap to the boardroom dark blue leather strap. You can also get the matching SS bracket to further extend the options as you travel, plus far too many other strap options to list them all here. Diversity and durability no matter where your travels take you.

Again, VERY easy to change the strap, solid reliability, excellent WR. Three day reserve, and am sure you know the lume at night for ease of seeing is virtually second to none.

Jmho

PAM01033-Straight.jpg

104458797_1852057051597334_6715279624234391905_n.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 02:49 AM   #9
fairfax
"TRF" Member

Really appreciate all the kind words and suggestions so far. I’d love to share some photos of my collection, but will have to do it piecemeal due some being in storage. But with the lockdown/pandemic, I’ve been wearing my duo of the Bulgari OF and Duometre QL which has been such an amazing combination. I’ll get pics of it tomorrow to share. My thoughts on the recommendations:

-Casio: TBH, I use a Casio Protrek for more intense sports and a Shearwater Teric for diving. Just didn’t list out my digital watches!
-GF Sport and Balancier S: holy moly on the price! But they seem interesting — will swing by my AD to see if they have any available. The case shape intrigues me along with the movement, but the words on the bezel aren’t too much my cup of tea
-Aquanaut 5164: loved the Aquanaut 5167 years ago but sold it when I irrationally compared it to the Nautilus. Regret it still, but for that price, I’d rather budget for something with a more unique movement
-LF Grand Sport: great suggestion! Will give it a try and it seems to tick a number of boxes. Anyone have experience with after sales servicing?
-Sky-Dweller: I tried to enjoy it, but the thickness with the bezel don’t wear well on me IMHO
-PAM: I had a PAM phase but sold all of them once I realize they don’t look well on my wrist unfortunately

Keep the wonderful suggestions coming! Also, other than the 2 JLCs I already have and vintage Rolexes, I’m trying not to have overrepresentation from a single manufacturer. Some others recommended Laurent Ferrier Grand Sport, Ming 20.01 and Moser Streamliner Chrono which all sound within my wheelhouse.
fairfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 02:51 AM   #10
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
First, you have a wonderful and diverse collection. Bravo!

Travel and you need WR... Panerai PAM01033 GMT imho for SS, they do offer gold options too. On my 01033 it is very easy to change straps from SCUBA diving rubber strap to the boardroom dark blue leather strap. You can also get the matching SS bracket to further extend the options as you travel, plus far too many other strap options to list them all here. Diversity and durability no matter where your travels take you.

Again, VERY easy to change the strap, solid reliability, excellent WR. Three day reserve, and am sure you know the lume at night for ease of seeing is virtually second to none.

Jmho

Attachment 1185829

Attachment 1185831
This.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 03:10 AM   #11
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Really appreciate all the kind words and suggestions so far. I’d love to share some photos of my collection, but will have to do it piecemeal due some being in storage. But with the lockdown/pandemic, I’ve been wearing my duo of the Bulgari OF and Duometre QL which has been such an amazing combination. I’ll get pics of it tomorrow to share. My thoughts on the recommendations:

-Casio: TBH, I use a Casio Protrek for more intense sports and a Shearwater Teric for diving. Just didn’t list out my digital watches!
-GF Sport and Balancier S: holy moly on the price! But they seem interesting — will swing by my AD to see if they have any available. The case shape intrigues me along with the movement, but the words on the bezel aren’t too much my cup of tea
-Aquanaut 5164: loved the Aquanaut 5167 years ago but sold it when I irrationally compared it to the Nautilus. Regret it still, but for that price, I’d rather budget for something with a more unique movement
-LF Grand Sport: great suggestion! Will give it a try and it seems to tick a number of boxes. Anyone have experience with after sales servicing?
-Sky-Dweller: I tried to enjoy it, but the thickness with the bezel don’t wear well on me IMHO
-PAM: I had a PAM phase but sold all of them once I realize they don’t look well on my wrist unfortunately

Keep the wonderful suggestions coming! Also, other than the 2 JLCs I already have and vintage Rolexes, I’m trying not to have overrepresentation from a single manufacturer. Some others recommended Laurent Ferrier Grand Sport, Ming 20.01 and Moser Streamliner Chrono which all sound within my wheelhouse.
Great response. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Of all the listed, that MB&F is in a different league.
Old 24 November 2020, 09:25 AM   #12
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
Have a look at the Urban Jürgensen One GMT:

Unique movement. Great attention to detail, especially guilloche dial and hand polished hands. Practical travel time implementation (same approach as PP 5164). 120m depth rating.
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 11:08 AM   #13
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Tried that Mbf in person, unreal. That’s my lotto daily wear watch. Are you trying for a small independent? You already have a moser perpetual was going to say pioneer perpetual, love those. I mean you have a budget to get pretty much anything it sounds like....Odysseus WG on rubber is nice and under the radar if avoiding the typical patek or AP. Honestly my favorite watch to travel with is a grand seiko spring drive, can get the GMT or a snowflake. Good enough WR, light, durable, and super accurate. But if I can spend your money the MBF is amazing
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 11:21 AM   #14
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Watch: my signature
Wonderful collection!
danwang0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 11:35 AM   #15
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Travel watch recomendation to compliment eccletic collection

Fantastic collection!

Large brand resources with a microbrand philosophy. Flying tourbillon, carbostratum case, Geneva Seal. Over 200 though. If I could swing this as my travel/trip watch I’d be all over it. Maybe one day :)

Not my wrist and pics from internet.

Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 10:48 PM   #16
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Hmm, then the MB&F LM Perpetual EVO due to increased WR over the De Bethune DB28G. If you travel as i do and enjoy water sports, you want higher WR for sure.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 01:14 AM   #17
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMartiny View Post
Have a look at the Urban Jürgensen One GMT:

Unique movement. Great attention to detail, especially guilloche dial and hand polished hands. Practical travel time implementation (same approach as PP 5164). 120m depth rating.
One of the stores in Burlington Arcade is an AD so I’ve been lucky enough to try on the One. I so wanted to like it, but it doesn’t work in the flesh.
Old 25 November 2020, 01:44 AM   #18
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
Fantastic collection!

Large brand resources with a microbrand philosophy. Flying tourbillon, carbostratum case, Geneva Seal. Over 200 though. If I could swing this as my travel/trip watch I’d be all over it. Maybe one day :)

Not my wrist and pics from internet.

I think that’s the worst watch I’ve ever seen.
Old 25 November 2020, 11:03 AM   #19
sambb
"TRF" Member

JLC master geo
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 01:53 PM   #20
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

I thought that LV was a greubel for a second
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 10:00 PM   #21
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
I thought that LV was a greubel for a second
Similar contour.

Not sure when the GF debuted, the LV debuted 2/20. I am a big fan of both!
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 10:45 PM   #22
BCN
"TRF" Member

I like traveling with JLC Master Compressor Extreme World Chrono. Especially internationally (not that it is happening right now).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bryan
BCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 02:50 AM   #23
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
Quote:
Really appreciate all the kind words and suggestions so far.

Some others recommended Laurent Ferrier Grand Sport, Ming 20.01 and Moser Streamliner Chrono which all sound within my wheelhouse.

You may be just being polite about your current PAM feelings, but the 42mm Subs would fit the bill nicely; unless you wanted to spend more.

Don’t know if this is silly but I like to wear ceramic especially on the travel days with a plane since I am always worried about banging in the airport/airplane through security loading luggage; lots of things I don’t do on a daily.

Unless you’re flying private or don’t have to handle any luggage with you when you travel.

I love my Pam 317 for all the above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 07:20 PM   #24
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:

JLC Reverso Sun Moon RG

Rolex Daytona 6263

Rolex Milgauss 6541

Rolex GMT Master 6542

Tudor Homeplate 7032

MB&F LM Perpetual EVO

De Bethune DB28G

I’d get the MB&F. They retooled it to be more durable.
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote