The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 November 2020, 03:11 AM   #1
isgrb
"TRF" Member

Fellow Deepsea Owners - A Bracelet Discussion

All - I just upgraded from the 116660 to the 126660 (both the Cameron version) and am playing around with the fit of the bracelet.

In the mark 1 I removed two links at 6 and left the diver extension at 12. The fit was fantastic and I loved using the glidelock as needed.

That said I know many of you remove the diver extension and I’m trying to weigh the pros and cons of doing so. I always suspected the extension added some scuff marks to the clasp of my 116660 just from rubbing against it but I can’t say that for sure.

To make a long story short the extension has been removed from my 126660 (as well as one link) and I don’t have nearly as much room with the glidelock to play with. In fact I have it almost at the end.

Obviously I can add back the link and have more room but just want to better understand the pros and cons of removing the diver extension. I don’t expect to ever use it for it’s true use which I doubt many of us would.

Apologies if this topic has been beaten to death in the past but am genuinely interested in understanding the benefit of removing the extension.

On a general note, there’s no question the 126660 is a smart evolution of the 116660, at least at first impression. It definitely wears a bit smaller (just as thick, which I like) and the proportions of the bracelet are definitely better. It’s such a badass watch in every possible and am thrilled to have made the leap from the mark 1 to the mark 2.
isgrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 03:15 AM   #2
Rybark09
"TRF" Member

Interested as well. I had AD remove the extension when I bought and now the widest setting on the glide lock is the perfect fit but God forbid I need more space... I.e. I can only make it tighter. I’d love the ability to extend or tighten
Rybark09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 03:50 AM   #3
Bort
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16803
I removed the diver extension from my watch, and it was noticeably more comfortable. YMMV
Bort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 04:01 AM   #4
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I wear the MK I without diver extension, and the way it fits best on me is one less link than I need, but the glide lock maxed out. I'll never need to fit this over a wetsuit, but can handle vacation snorkeling just fine!
herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 04:01 AM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
The new generation is quite a bit smaller wearing than the latest gen, as measured from end link to end ink 55.6 vs 53.3 (as you pointed out).

The idea with removing the diver extension is that it makes for a bit more flexibility in the feel of the bracelet and clasp by doing away with the large extension piece
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 04:18 AM   #6
slus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Pelagos
I removed my divers extension and replaced it with 1 full and 1 half link, much more comfortable that way. I am going to order a second full link when I get around to it and get rid of the half link, the size puts me right in the middle of the Glidelock with adjustability each way, but I've noticed having a half link there makes it a little difficult to adjust. The half link flips inwards when I am tightening the bracelet.
slus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 04:34 AM   #7
isgrb
"TRF" Member

All very helpful feedback, I can see the bracelet being more comfortable without the extension since that is a longer and inflexible piece of metal.

I think I need to have the extra link added back in so I have more room to play with on the glidelock. Not a fan of having it almost all the way out as the default position.
Old 25 November 2020, 06:31 AM   #8
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
116660, extension left in and glidelock all the way in for me and it's absolutely perfect for the size and shape of my wrist.
The clasp is perfectly centred on the underside and it's just loose enough to move around a bit and not feel constricted with no need to concern myself with any other adjustments at any time for any reason except to demonstrate the glidelock once to a curious observer.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 09:28 AM   #9
isgrb
"TRF" Member

Just noticed that the sides of the link inside the glidelock is getting lightly scratched by me adjusting it so the divers extension is definitely going back in.

FYI for the those of you flying without the extension and with enough room to have links inside the clasp.
Old 25 November 2020, 12:33 PM   #10
Judge
Banned

Watch: DSSD MK I
Quote:
Originally Posted by isgrb View Post
All - I just upgraded from the 116660 to the 126660 (both the Cameron version) and am playing around with the fit of the bracelet.

In the mark 1 I removed two links at 6 and left the diver extension at 12. The fit was fantastic and I loved using the glidelock as needed.

That said I know many of you remove the diver extension and I’m trying to weigh the pros and cons of doing so. I always suspected the extension added some scuff marks to the clasp of my 116660 just from rubbing against it but I can’t say that for sure.

To make a long story short the extension has been removed from my 126660 (as well as one link) and I don’t have nearly as much room with the glidelock to play with. In fact I have it almost at the end.

Obviously I can add back the link and have more room but just want to better understand the pros and cons of removing the diver extension. I don’t expect to ever use it for it’s true use which I doubt many of us would.

Apologies if this topic has been beaten to death in the past but am genuinely interested in understanding the benefit of removing the extension.

On a general note, there’s no question the 126660 is a smart evolution of the 116660, at least at first impression. It definitely wears a bit smaller (just as thick, which I like) and the proportions of the bracelet are definitely better. It’s such a badass watch in every possible and am thrilled to have made the leap from the mark 1 to the mark 2.
First of all,..not an upgrade IMO. Congrats on new watch, though.
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 12:34 PM   #11
Judge
Banned

Watch: DSSD MK I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort View Post
I removed the diver extension from my watch, and it was noticeably more comfortable. YMMV
Me as well.
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 10:45 PM   #12
maxbelg
"TRF" Member

I did not remove my divers extension and sized the bracelet so that the extension is almost fully tucked away in the clasp with normal wear. (I took out the half link and added a full link to achieve this.) This is very comfortable on my 20cm wrist.

This retains the ability to size bigger when my wrist swells or when I suddenly turn into a professional diver and need the dive extension.....
maxbelg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 06:56 AM   #13
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

This thread is an interesting read because I've never tried the DSSD with the diver extension. I forgot the diver extension even existed! I had a 116660 (black dial) for 12 years and recently sold it when I got the 126660 JC. I removed the diver extension (along with several links) from both watches in 2008 (the 116660) and a few months ago (the 126660) when sizing them because I have a small wrist.

I also didn't know Rolex sold half-links for this bracelet. I figured half-links wouldn't be necessary due to the Glidelock's extreme adjustability, but apparently that's wrong.

Thanks to all for teaching me some things about this really cool watch!

Re isgrb's last post, I noticed that the tops of the links that are inside the Glidelock also got scuffed (pic below), so it's not just the sides of the links. Scratches/scuffs don't bother me at all, but if they bother you, it's worth noting that you can get them this way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolex_DSSD_126660_sized_1.jpg (35.6 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1285.JPG (45.7 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1292.JPG (68.4 KB, 113 views)
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 04:41 PM   #14
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
I also removed the extension, wears comfortably. Weight of the watch can't be denied but it wears well for me as a daily.

Same, the scratches, scuffs on the watch don't bother me at all as this watch was made withstand whatever comes at it.
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote