The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 November 2020, 11:06 AM   #31
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
I wear my Sky Dweller or a Patek Aquanaut everywhere I go internationally, and that includes the US, many points in Europe, Asia, Africa, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Asian countries and various other places. I agree that situational awareness is important, but it doesn’t keep me from going any place with my watches.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 11:17 AM   #32
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
If travel and having a watch stolen can be compared to car accidents, you’re more likely to have it happen near home
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 11:20 AM   #33
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
Just curious how others feel — When traveling overseas, I never bring a Rolex or other watch that I don’t consider “disposable” — too concerned with thieves and attracting unnecessary attention to oneself, especially in large cities. Am I alone in this concern?
I agree completely. I have a nice Swatch Irony day-date quartz that has been on probably a dozen overseas trips. I see no reason to have one more thing to worry about. Someone mentioned their Sky Dweller and Patek Aquanaut. If you can afford to own one of these you can probably afford to lose them. If it's your one and only and is very special, I guarantee, you will be nervous. Maybe if it is a business trip and you want to impress people at a meeting????
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 11:28 AM   #34
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Another thing to consider, is that 'feeling' comfortable or uncomfortable is truly personal and varies from one person to another.

Back in 2004, I was buying a 2004 motorcycle (CBR1000RR for those who know or care) and I took $8k cash with me to the seller, with my wife in the car (she would drive back.) It was in Redwood city (a nicer city) but not the best neighborhood. When I arrived there, there was a young 20 something man who was selling the bike and while I was checking out the bike, two other young men (roommates) came out of the house, in their shorts and such.

It was a situation where my wife was feeling extremely uncomfortable, got out of the car and came to me to kind of support, but I was laughing and enjoying the bike related chats, etc. After the deal was done , she was furious at me that this was very uncomfortable situation, and I didn't see it that way at all. (been through worse neighborhoods and other situations just fine.)

What I am trying to say is, you might find yourself in a situation and feel completely fine and comfortable due to your personal past experiences, while another person here on this forum might feel completely uncomfortable in a similar situation.

Do what is right for you. You are not going on a trip to stress yourself, are you?

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 11:32 AM   #35
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
On my last overseas trip (Vietnam) I took three of my Rolex watches and never gave it a thought.

I wore one, my wife wore her DJ and carried the other two in their green pouches in her handbag.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 11:43 AM   #36
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Travel watches

I have travelled to over 20+ countries on 3 continents and never felt worried about wearing a Rolex or other nice watches. If I were in a dangerous place, I would be more fearful for my life than my watch, but I just tend to try avoid places like that.

If the slim chance that I do get mugged for it in future, then so be, it is not going to stop me from enjoying my watches on my travels.

I buy all my watches to wear and enjoy everywhere, not just in my home. Otherwise I feel having the item is completely pointless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 11:44 AM   #37
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

I always wear sports wristbands when I travel.

My Rolex is hidden under one so nobody knows what I have under the wristband.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 12:00 PM   #38
onefishtaco
"TRF" Member

I had a BLNR on in Paris/Barcelona/Amsterdam/Rome with zero issues or concern, but when I returned to Spain last year, there were (and still are) a lot of news articles about watch theft being on the rise, so I brought a Tudor instead. I always make sure they're insured anyway, but I might start leaving my watches at home until things calm down a bit there, don't want to risk a negative experience.
onefishtaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 12:03 PM   #39
Paul7
Banned

My dad was once in Madrid with a business associate from Taiwan. They stopped in a washroom, the associate took off his gold Rolex to wash his hands, not sure the type, and you guessed it, a kid grabbed it and took off.

Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 12:32 PM   #40
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
My dad was once in Madrid with a business associate from Taiwan. They stopped in a washroom, the associate took off his gold Rolex to wash his hands, not sure the type, and you guessed it, a kid grabbed it and took off.

you think we would have guessed a 'kid' grabbing it?

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 12:35 PM   #41
UmichNJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
Just curious how others feel — When traveling overseas, I never bring a Rolex or other watch that I don’t consider “disposable” — too concerned with thieves and attracting unnecessary attention to oneself, especially in large cities. Am I alone in this concern?

I wear a watch that is a little less obvious than my Rolex watches. My go-to travel watches are a Patek 5164 (rubber strap) or 5524. If I am going to a developing country, I might also wear a Rolex 5513 on NATO strap.
UmichNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 01:09 PM   #42
blue lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's just a watch.
I wear my watch anywhere. No one cares what you're wearing.
blue lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 02:24 PM   #43
holdingon
"TRF" Member

Depends on where you travel and your accommodations...
holdingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 02:24 PM   #44
thefireman1994
"TRF" Member

Watch roll and a bank safe
thefireman1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 03:03 PM   #45
atxdivebezel
"TRF" Member

I've worn an explorer II through Europe without issue. If Paul Thorpe is to believed thatn London is a no go...
atxdivebezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 03:15 PM   #46
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Like others have said, depends on which Rolex (SS vs PM/diamonds), and which location. When in doubt, leave the expensive watch at home until you've gone there and checked it out the first time. And make sure your watches are insured.
gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 03:53 PM   #47
zhangster
"TRF" Member

Watch: guess
Obviously the answer should be dependent on your destination country. I may wear an expensive watch going to a safe / familiar country. Otherwise I'll wear my Citizen or Seiko. The risk/benefit analysis just doesn't work out any other way.
zhangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 04:25 PM   #48
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

It would depend on what you plan on doing, where you're staying etc.

There are places in every bigger city that are potential danger zones. Would I walk around with a YG DD40 wearing a t-shirt in these areas? No. Would I go there in the first place? Also no.

Be smart about wearing your watches, tug them under your shirt/jacket if you get a sense that your surroundings aren't suitable for flashing $30k in jewelry. There are bad guys everywhere.

Even in 5 star restaurants/hotels, there could be someone scoping out potential victims. I've heard multiple cases where someone has been robbed right outside because they had worn a nice piece out to dinner.

Stay safe.
VonSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 06:21 PM   #49
nda
"TRF" Member

It would defeat the purpose of buying a Sky Dweller to leave it at home whilst travelling... having said that, travel is simply not possible at the moment anyway.

As others have said - be aware of those around you.
nda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 06:25 PM   #50
Ihatecheese
Banned

As others wrote:
Know your surroundings. Be mindful how you appear Vs the population. Don't be stupid and should be fine. Many of us have travelled and lived in quite a few 1st to 3rd world countries. Everywhere is different and the priority is integration and enjoyment typically. Rather than showing off a nice watch and bracelet.
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 06:52 PM   #51
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Going on holiday or business abroad I always take my SkyD.
Feel naked without
Old 25 November 2020, 06:54 PM   #52
djona
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Agree on awareness. My Explorer has been my travel watch for the past several years without issue.
djona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 08:12 PM   #53
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
Depends on the watch and where you go

My AP 15400 - never took it anywhere

Piaget, Datejust 2 no issues for me personally,esp the Piaget on a rubber strap
youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 08:14 PM   #54
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Just insure well and wearing what ever you like is fine!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 10:29 PM   #55
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
No point in having a travel watch or any nice things if you are afraid to use them

Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 10:39 PM   #56
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Lots of good comments here.

I think a good motto is "don't take your body places where you are concerned about the safety of your watch".
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 10:46 PM   #57
Spoonage

I've worn IWC, Panerai, Kobold, and Heuer when traveling since 2007 when I got into watches. Pre-Covid I traveled domestic and overseas maybe 30% for work. Since purchasing my BLNR 2014 I've traveled with that exclusively. To be fair I was not in locations where I would consider dangerous (understanding no matter where you go there may always be someone wishing to do harm).
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 10:47 PM   #58
Heady Topper
Banned

The place I feel the least safe that I have visited is the US. Still can't wrap my head around allowing people to casually carry murder weapons.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Heady Topper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 11:12 PM   #59
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Aren’t we overseas depending on which side of the sea you’re starting?

I tried traveling without my rolex... I didn’t t like it and sold the alternatives (oris diver & g shock)

Truth is, some years ago, I bought a used exp II w no bracelet & no box / papers (reputable seller) for 3k. The grand seiko I have flies well under the radar but in reality is twice the price of the rolex and can’t be worn to the pool... I guess the rolex is the best choice.
Old 25 November 2020, 11:31 PM   #60
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Before the Pandemic, we traveled all over Europe, France, UK, Spain, Belgium and I always wore this Rolex. The more I read about crime in Europe, I may switch to my G Shock next time we go?!

Last November in Paris...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk