The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX


Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8 January 2023, 04:16 AM   #31
Yobrooks
2023 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Philly, USA
Watch: PP
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplorerI View Post
Were you able to try it on at an AD? I was in an AD that had one as an exhibition piece but I couldnít even touch it lol. The manager just brought it out of the case still in its plastic with white gloves on to look at.



I will say it looks way more interesting in person. Didnít really have much interest in it until seeing it in the metal.
Yea, I was at an AD and able to try it on. Very impressive in person. Like I said, it's definitely on my list now.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Yobrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2023, 01:29 PM   #32
Yobrooks
2023 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Philly, USA
Watch: PP
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Process View Post
I really like the 5226.

Hereís what I saw on watchbox:
5146g, two models, $35k and $37k
5226g for $57k

If you were to sell the 5146 to a dealer, probably wouldnít get $35kÖ

Idk. $20k to get the 5226 doesnít seem so bad.

Good luck!
Took the plunge as I absolutely love the 5226, dial, hands, straps, movement. I was able to trade my 5146 + 20k for the next 5226, otherwise it would've been a 2ó3yr wait. I think that was a fair, not great, deal from the AD. Should arrive next month.. Will post pix.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Yobrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2023, 02:00 PM   #33
Ichiran
2023 Pledge Member
 
Ichiran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Real Name: Michael
Location: Ramen queue
Watch: Mostly blue dials
Posts: 6,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobrooks View Post
Took the plunge as I absolutely love the 5226, dial, hands, straps, movement. I was able to trade my 5146 + 20k for the next 5226, otherwise it would've been a 2ó3yr wait. I think that was a fair, not great, deal from the AD. Should arrive next month.. Will post pix.
Congrats! Love that dial on the 5226
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2023, 08:19 AM   #34
Dr Process
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Real Name: Joseph
Location: US
Watch: your hands
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobrooks View Post
Took the plunge as I absolutely love the 5226, dial, hands, straps, movement. I was able to trade my 5146 + 20k for the next 5226, otherwise it would've been a 2ó3yr wait. I think that was a fair, not great, deal from the AD. Should arrive next month.. Will post pix.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Congrats, brother.

Like you said, I think this is a fair deal and probably the best one could hope for.

Look forward to the pics.
Dr Process is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2023, 09:40 AM   #35
codecow
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Real Name: Louis
Location: Bay Area, CA
Watch: PP 5131R
Posts: 3,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplorerI View Post
Yeah I just looked up the sale. It went for 44k. That was in November. Havenít seen once since but the market has gotten softer since then. Iím waiting for a 5226g from an AD. No intention to resell but I would definitely expect to lose money on that one if I ever sold it after buying at retail. Itís just a Calatrava after all. I donít think thereís historically ever been a Calatrava that stayed consistently above retail.
What about the venerable 5522?

Let us not forget its greatness. One time while wearing my 5522 on a hike I ran out of water. I thought, ďuh ohĒ. Then I remembered my 5522 and was immediately relieved. Nobody is going to die of thirst while wearing a watch like that, itís impossible. Thank you 5522!
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2023, 09:54 AM   #36
V25V
2023 Pledge Member
 
V25V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 3,934
Crazy AD's are playing these types of games. Zero chance I would have done that, he is going to now make money on your 5146 as well. I get the convenience aspect of it all but the 5226 should have been able to be bought on its own with a minimal wait, not a piece you need to have some sort of a deal brokered on. I want one, don't get me wrong, but I just cannot see people fawning over this one. Markups on secondary market are very reasonable, there was just one on here from a TS for, I believe, about 3-4K over what you would pay from an AD+tax. Thats not bad at all.....
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2023, 09:59 AM   #37
dauster
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
Crazy AD's are playing these types of games. Zero chance I would have done that, he is going to now make money on your 5146 as well. I get the convenience aspect of it all but the 5226 should have been able to be bought on its own with a minimal wait, not a piece you need to have some sort of a deal brokered on. I want one, don't get me wrong, but I just cannot see people fawning over this one. Markups on secondary market are very reasonable, there was just one on here from a TS for, I believe, about 3-4K over what you would pay from an AD+tax. Thats not bad at all.....
yeah agreed maybe OP is hoping to establish relationship also and maybe gets a Rolex he wants down the road or another watch
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2023, 10:08 AM   #38
cinli
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: The States
Posts: 10
I love them both but I prefer the 5226.
cinli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2023, 10:13 AM   #39
V25V
2023 Pledge Member
 
V25V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 3,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
yeah agreed maybe OP is hoping to establish relationship also and maybe gets a Rolex he wants down the road or another watch
I can see that possibly.

I found that one. $46,500. Retail is 39K, with tax that's $41,340. A difference of $4660, and I am assuming the seller may let it go for less since its been sitting since Jan 9. Looks mint and I was tempted but think my AD will get me one and these aren't selling, so flippers will be less likely to want them.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=887758
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2023, 11:05 AM   #40
Yobrooks
2023 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Philly, USA
Watch: PP
Posts: 330
Thanks for all the input. I did love the 5146 but the 5226 just looks ideal on my wrist and that dial is Sublime is person. My wait from my AD would've been well over 2years, demand is very high to the ADs, and allocations are very small, and by doing this deal I get the next 5226 allocation. I know I could've sold the 5146 for 30k online, instead of 20k to the AD but then I'd have to deal in the grey markets for a pre-owned 5226. Additionally, this keeps me in good favor with my AD. I will post great pix once it arrives. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Yobrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2023, 11:13 AM   #41
V25V
2023 Pledge Member
 
V25V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 3,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobrooks View Post
Thanks for all the input. I did love the 5146 but the 5226 just looks ideal on my wrist and that dial is Sublime is person. My wait from my AD would've been well over 2years, demand is very high to the ADs, and allocations are very small, and by doing this deal I get the next 5226 allocation. I know I could've sold the 5146 for 30k online, instead of 20k to the AD but then I'd have to deal in the grey markets for a pre-owned 5226. Additionally, this keeps me in good favor with my AD. I will post great pix once it arrives. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Im not going to beat a dead horse but my point is that the AD made you believe the demand for this is higher than what it actually is. Hence secondary market pricing and they sit. As long as you are happy, that's all that matters! I want the 5226 as well and wasn't until I saw it in Geneva in the flesh that I came to that conclusion. Photos do not do it justice.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2023, 11:15 AM   #42
Yobrooks
2023 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Philly, USA
Watch: PP
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
What about the venerable 5522?



Let us not forget its greatness. One time while wearing my 5522 on a hike I ran out of water. I thought, ďuh ohĒ. Then I remembered my 5522 and was immediately relieved. Nobody is going to die of thirst while wearing a watch like that, itís impossible. Thank you 5522!
I too admire the 5522, however, I have a 5524 g and it's too similar. Stay thirsty, my friend.)

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Yobrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2023, 01:15 PM   #43
codecow
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Real Name: Louis
Location: Bay Area, CA
Watch: PP 5131R
Posts: 3,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobrooks View Post
I too admire the 5522, however, I have a 5524 g and it's too similar. Stay thirsty, my friend.)

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Yes!
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2023, 12:13 PM   #44
Benzsiam
"TRF" Member
 
Benzsiam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: USA
Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Posts: 5,324
Last night MODA had an auction on 5226g, the winner price was $39300 which is less than MSRP+Tax.
__________________
"Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, Patek Philippe: 5524R
A Lange & Sohne: Lange 1 Time Zone 136.032, Rado Diastar, Seiko: SRPA21, MontBlanc: 109996"
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2023, 01:06 PM   #45
vandyologist
2023 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: TN
Posts: 792


Itís a fantastic piece and a nice casual option in the Calatrava family. Iím glad to see secondary prices are coming down because something like this should really be an entry Patek. Mine wears great and it gets plenty of wear in rotation.
vandyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2023, 04:53 PM   #46
DonLee
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: HK
Posts: 639
personally, i would never have traded a PM annual calendar for a PM 3 hander, let alone add money on top. cream dial is great, can match with a more modern playful color strap

nonetheless, most important is that a watch speaks to you as the wearer. Even if a watch is fundamentally great, if it gets no wrist time, it would be better if it were to be let go for something that you love a lot more. congrats on your new watch!
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2023, 05:31 PM   #47
ButtButt
"TRF" Member
 
ButtButt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Asia
Posts: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyologist View Post


Itís a fantastic piece and a nice casual option in the Calatrava family. Iím glad to see secondary prices are coming down because something like this should really be an entry Patek. Mine wears great and it gets plenty of wear in rotation.
Love it on that strap.
ButtButt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 12:06 AM   #48
V25V
2023 Pledge Member
 
V25V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 3,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post
Last night MODA had an auction on 5226g, the winner price was $39300 which is less than MSRP+Tax.
This is why I am waiting. What is very funny to me is that AD's still seem to be playing up how hot the market is and at the same time, act as if they do not like it. They clearly do and are benefiting from it, which is what perturbs me about how this AD duped the OP. We are now seeing pieces like this sell at or just over msrp. 5226 is a new release mind you..... the tides are turning.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 12:22 AM   #49
Bmats
2023 Pledge Member
 
Bmats's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: East Coast
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
This is why I am waiting. What is very funny to me is that AD's still seem to be playing up how hot the market is and at the same time, act as if they do not like it. They clearly do and are benefiting from it, which is what perturbs me about how this AD duped the OP. We are now seeing pieces like this sell at or just over msrp. 5226 is a new release mind you..... the tides are turning.
I donít know. If the market is turning, isnít it turning on pieces like the 5146 too? I mean that piece was in production for a long time and wasnít very popular at the end. I bet a lot of the people listing at the current price may be doing in an aspirational way. Or they may not be selling. And I say that as someone who relatively recently acquired one.

And at the end of the day, if youíd rather have a 5226 than a 5146, this is an easy way to do so without incurring a lot of transaction cost hassles or private sales or buying from someplace like MODA. For a lot of people that has significant value.
Bmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 12:29 AM   #50
V25V
2023 Pledge Member
 
V25V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 3,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmats View Post
I don’t know. If the market is turning, isn’t it turning on pieces like the 5146 too? I mean that piece was in production for a long time and wasn’t very popular at the end. I bet a lot of the people listing at the current price may be doing in an aspirational way. Or they may not be selling. And I say that as someone who relatively recently acquired one.

And at the end of the day, if you’d rather have a 5226 than a 5146, this is an easy way to do so without incurring a lot of transaction cost hassles or private sales or buying from someplace like MODA. For a lot of people that has significant value.
I think everything is slowing, nautiluses are sitting and have dropped in price a lot. Aquas are sitting and have dropped in price a lot. I cannot imagine it is easy to move a 5146G right now, so understand why OP would take this route to make it easy but that's a big and unnecessary hit he took IMO with the AD taking the same ole hot market attitude. Again, I get it and if losing that money is no big deal to a seller, go for it. My issue isn't there, its with the AD's I suppose who have acted like this market isn't a good thing but then continue to take advantage and rake it in while they can when they know damn well things are cooling. There is no way you have the line out the door that they had 9 months ago asking for various references, they know it. Drumming up a deal on a Calatrava right now? Come on.....
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 12:47 AM   #51
V25V
2023 Pledge Member
 
V25V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 3,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
I can see that possibly.

I found that one. $46,500. Retail is 39K, with tax that's $41,340. A difference of $4660, and I am assuming the seller may let it go for less since its been sitting since Jan 9. Looks mint and I was tempted but think my AD will get me one and these aren't selling, so flippers will be less likely to want them.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=887758
This seller just lowered his price. They aren't moving.

So AD's need to just stop playing games. This one has me tempted.... lol
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 01:22 AM   #52
vandyologist
2023 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: TN
Posts: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
This seller just lowered his price. They aren't moving.

So AD's need to just stop playing games. This one has me tempted.... lol

Do it!

vandyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 10:26 AM   #53
Yobrooks
2023 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Philly, USA
Watch: PP
Posts: 330
Appreciate all the different opinions. As a private seller it's currently more difficult to get a good deal compared to the greys current discounts and warranties. That being said, I do like the idea of a brand new 5226, my name on the registration papers, and full pp warranty - this has "worth" to me so the hit I took is a bit more palatable (or so I tell myself.. Haha)

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Yobrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 10:58 AM   #54
Calatrava r
2023 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Real Name: Bob
Location: United States
Watch: Rolex and Patek
Posts: 6,764
I would never trade your annual calendar at used wholesale prices for the Calatrava at used retail market prices. Your watch is much nicer, and you would be losing both ways, on yours and the new one. As suggested, try to get on an AD list for the new watch and hopefully, keep the one you have.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 01:42 PM   #55
LJubel328
"TRF" Member
 
LJubel328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: NYC
Posts: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I would never trade your annual calendar at used wholesale prices for the Calatrava at used retail market prices. Your watch is much nicer, and you would be losing both ways, on yours and the new one. As suggested, try to get on an AD list for the new watch and hopefully, keep the one you have.

I believe the OP already made the trade


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LJubel328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 09:51 PM   #56
Yobrooks
2023 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Philly, USA
Watch: PP
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJubel328 View Post
I believe the OP already made the trade


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, my 5146 has been traded... Now I wait for the call.!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Yobrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:48 AM   #57
LJubel328
"TRF" Member
 
LJubel328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: NYC
Posts: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobrooks View Post
Yes, my 5146 has been traded... Now I wait for the call.!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Wow, didnít realize you now have to wait. I thought you were receiving the 5226 upon trade-in.

If I were you Iíd go back to that AD and leverage something else. You really got the short end of the stick in this trade. You can see a recent auction result didnít even fetch MSRP. Depending on your relationship with them, you should have an open and honest conversation. If they value your business they should respond positively.

I would feel royally screwed and taken advantage of in your situation. No offenseÖ


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LJubel328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
Dr Process
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DavidSW Watches


*Banners Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2023, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.