The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 February 2021, 03:27 PM   #1
Mikebucare
"TRF" Member

Daytona Lug Issue

Hi guys,

A couple of days ago, I watched a video made by Crowns & Calibers, he brought about an issue with SS Daytonas that the lugs are asymmetric from left to right, the lugs of the pusher side is thiner than the other side. After a little bit of research, I found that this happens with the SS and YG daytonas with a bracelet, and other bracelet PM version(WG, RG and PT) as well as all daytonas with Oysterflex strap do not have this “problem”. On the other hand, I found another thing, that for all the daytonas with a bracelet, only the SS and YG version have the same lug-endlink curvature, for the other versions, the curve of the lugs are not the same with that of the endlink, that is because the shape of the lugs are not the same through out the whole product line, the SS and YG have the same shape, and other PM daytonas share another shape. Again, this do not happen on the Oysterflex version because they all share the same lug shape and endlink. In other words, the case shape of the WG and RG are the same whether they have a bracelet or an Oysterflex, and this shape is also the same with the PT, but for the YG, it is a bit complex, the bracelet and Oysterflex version do not share the same case shape. I don’t know why is the case, does anyone have a clue? PS. This is not a big issue, but for an obsessive man like me, the only choice would be the Oysterflex daytonas, because they don’t have the “asymmetric” and “lug curvature” issue.

Bests,
Mikebucare
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FRONT.JPG (94.3 KB, 970 views)
File Type: jpg BK.JPG (60.1 KB, 965 views)
Mikebucare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2021, 04:00 PM   #2
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
i like the lug curvature on the daytona oysterflex(also on some yacht master), dont know why Rolex do not use the same lug design on 116500.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2021, 04:13 PM   #3
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

Why is it an issue? Honest question.
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2021, 04:24 PM   #4
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Daytona Lug Issue

It is by design so I wouldn't call it an issue.

The oysterflex being a black rubber band between the lugs likely ruins the effect they are trying to achieve with the bracelet and lug widths offsetting the pushers. With the bracelet the effect is quite good. In real life it isn't something that is noticed on the wrist.
Old 28 February 2021, 04:44 PM   #5
Mikebucare
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
i like the lug curvature on the daytona oysterflex(also on some yacht master), dont know why Rolex do not use the same lug design on 116500.
Yes me too, I don't know why the 116500 and 116508 don't have the same desigh, also, I don't know why Rolex doesn't design the endlink curvature accordingly.
Old 28 February 2021, 04:47 PM   #6
Mikebucare
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTreelex View Post
Why is it an issue? Honest question.
Sorry I am not a native English speaker so I may used a inappropriate word
Old 28 February 2021, 05:03 PM   #7
Mikebucare
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post

The oysterflex being a black rubber band between the lugs likely ruins the effect they are trying to achieve with the bracelet and lug widths offsetting the pushers. With the bracelet the effect is quite good. In real life it isn't something that is noticed on the wrist.
I agree it is by design, but I just don't see the reson for the inconsistency of the design, why they use different design for different materials, even with the same material-YG, they use different lug shape with bracelet and oysterflex.
Moreover, I do think the different lug-endlink curvature is a design flaw, because the previous version of 116600 and 116660 sea-dweller and deepsea had the same issue, but Rolex fixed it on the new 126600 and 126660.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ds.JPG (50.2 KB, 825 views)
Old 28 February 2021, 05:14 PM   #8
Mikebucare
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post

I agree it is by design, but I just don't see the reson for the inconsistency of the design, why they use different design for different materials, even with the same material-YG, they use different lug shape with bracelet and oysterflex.
Moreover, I do think the different lug-endlink curvature is a design flaw, because the previous version of 116600 and 116660 sea-dweller and deepsea had the same issue, but Rolex fixed it on the new 126600 and 126660.
Old 28 February 2021, 06:25 PM   #9
rambo99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebucare View Post
I think it's to prevent user customization on any specific daytona model.
Old 28 February 2021, 06:49 PM   #10
Mikebucare
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think it's to prevent user customization on any specific daytona model.
That might be a reson though
Old 28 February 2021, 06:50 PM   #11
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Not only the Daytona but on most all of the sports models over the past 50 years lugs on the crown side has been slightly thinner. so not something new.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2021, 07:22 PM   #12
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Daytona Lug Issue

Unequal lugs is nothing to worry about.
The design reason is aesthetic balance.
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2021, 07:35 PM   #13
rambo99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
Unequal lugs is nothing to worry about.
The design reason is aesthetic balance.
but this daytona looks unbalanced to me!
Old 28 February 2021, 07:38 PM   #14
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I don’t think Rolex will change the design.

They have sold a few.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2021, 07:43 PM   #15
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Daytona Lug Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
I don’t think Rolex will change the design.
They have sold a few.
+1
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2021, 07:52 PM   #16
Mikebucare
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Not only the Daytona but on most all of the sports models over the past 50 years lugs on the crown side has been slightly thinner. so not something new.
Sure, but this is not what I am trying to say, my question is why Rolex uses thinner crown side lugs only for SS and YG brecelet daytona, not for other materials, including the YG oysterflex version?

Besides, why the curvature of the lugs are not the same with that of the endlinks for WG, RG and PT? My answer is that they use the same endlink for different lug types for cost reason, but why they developed two different lug shapes in the first place? Confused....
Old 28 February 2021, 07:55 PM   #17
Mikebucare
"TRF" Member

Yes, but why not apply the same aesthetic balance rule for the materials other than SS and YG.
Old 28 February 2021, 08:20 PM   #18
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

No one really knows why they do this except Rolex.

Obviously Rolex knows about this inconsistency and have purposely done it this way

It is what it is. Your question(s) are valid. If you do a searching this forum the same question comes up almost every few month in one way shape or form so it is a well known inconsistency.
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2021, 08:35 PM   #19
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post

Obviously Rolex knows about this inconsistency and have purposely done it this way

It is what it is. Your question(s) are valid. If you do a searching this forum the same question comes up almost every few month in one way shape or form so it is a well known inconsistency.
First it's not a inconsistency it's simply a design thats been the same as on most all of the sports watches in mainly the SS Subs, GMTs, Daytona,etc for the past 50 plus years the design was mainly to keep case symmetry .

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2021, 09:34 PM   #20
Mikebucare
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post

Yes, I saw some discussions on the "thinner lug", and I get the "aesthetic balance" saying, but I don't understand why WG, RG and PT do not need the "aesthetic balance".

What's more, I don't see discussions on the "lug-endlink curvature" discussion, maybe I didn't use the search function properly as a new "TRF" Member
Old 28 February 2021, 09:47 PM   #21
DaveTheWatchGuy
"TRF" Member

Daytona Lug Issue

Quote:
Yes, I saw some discussions on the "thinner lug", and I get the "aesthetic balance" saying, but I don't understand why WG, RG and PT do not need the "aesthetic balance".

What's more, I don't see discussions on the "lug-endlink curvature" discussion, maybe I didn't use the search function properly as a new "TRF" Member

I definitely see your point....seems pretty random to apply this thinner pusher lug design to only ss and yg Daytona but not to the wg or rg Daytonas. That’s weird to me too.

As for the different case shape for the oysterflex models, I think that just comes down to a totally different look that is required to make the oysterflex strap look more seamless - vs how it may look with a bracelet.

As a proud owner of a 116519 and 116500, I definitely prefer the case design of the wg over the ss. I get that Rolex has been doing the uneven lug thing for 50 years in the name of “symmetry”, but to my ocd eyes, it actually achieves the opposite effect. Still love the watch though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DaveTheWatchGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2021, 10:24 PM   #22
Mikebucare
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheWatchGuy View Post
I definitely see your point....seems pretty random to apply this thinner pusher lug design to only ss and yg Daytona but not to the wg or rg Daytonas. That’s weird to me too.

As for the different case shape for the oysterflex models, I think that just comes down to a totally different look that is required to make the oysterflex strap look more seamless - vs how it may look with a bracelet.

As a proud owner of a 116519 and 116500, I definitely prefer the case design of the wg over the ss. I get that Rolex has been doing the uneven lug thing for 50 years in the name of “symmetry”, but to my ocd eyes, it actually achieves the opposite effect. Still love the watch though!

Exactly, what confuse me is the randomness.

As for the oysterflex, I totally agree with you and I think the design is perfect.

As for your 116519 and 116500, both are very adorable watches and I too like the wg case design more, and if the endlinks matches perfectly with the lug, it would be awesome!
Old 28 February 2021, 10:25 PM   #23
IamJacky
"TRF" Member

It's interesting, never noticed it until people pointed it out, but it doesn't bother me at all.
Old 28 February 2021, 10:31 PM   #24
rambo99
Banned

Quote:

but the oysterflex and new full gold daytona have the same lug shape which are different from the ss daytona.
Old 28 February 2021, 10:33 PM   #25
Mikebucare
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJacky View Post
It's interesting, never noticed it until people pointed it out, but it doesn't bother me at all.
Yes it is a trivial point and shouldn't be a bother, I am just curious about it and trying to find out what is the Rolex's logic behind all this
Old 28 February 2021, 10:36 PM   #26
ofelas
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dinged & Gouged
Good grief y'all.

May I suggest a Casio G-Shock for perfect aesthetic lug symmetry; also it won't lose/gain seconds per day, it's strap won't rattle & you don't have to baby that precious Rolex to prevent scratches.

Also, you don't have to smell the Casio box or use loupes/equipment to find out amplitude/flaws.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
but the oysterflex and new full gold daytona have the same lug shape which are different from the ss daytona.
ofelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2021, 10:39 PM   #27
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

It is one of those rolex quirks that no one knows the answer to. The crowd that says it is to allow more symmetry with the pushers immediately loses argument since other inproduction daytonas with different metals dont have this. Beats me
Old 28 February 2021, 10:54 PM   #28
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I’ve read over the years, perhaps a thousand times, the various theories about the lug width differences on the Daytona.

One thing that also varies is the curvature in the case where the pushers are located.

Here are some simple screen shots from the current website. And note how the arc of that curve is made for different models. Some with an increased radius and others with a decreased radius. You can use the bezel as a visual reference. See where the arc of the curve meets visually.

Note how the Platona has the smoothest arc of all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2021, 10:58 PM   #29
Mikebucare
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not only "different from the ss daytona", but also the solid yellow gold ones, and this confuses me the most, because I can understand why ss is different from the PM, but why the YG is an exception?
Old 28 February 2021, 11:04 PM   #30
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I can't help but think: a good polish will balance those out for you. LOL

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote