The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 17 January 2018, 08:14 AM   #1
austinp
"TRF" Member

Any experience with Arc'teryx?

I'm buying a new ski jacket and would love some feedback on the brand quality and performance. I have been happy with North Face and Marmot in the past but looking to try something new.

-austin

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 08:58 AM   #2
Sarajevo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600371701
I have used their running shirts and am very happy with them. The fit is very good and the quality and minor details (e.g. stitching) are to a very high standard. The feel of the garments is great too. Not cheap but very good value.
Sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 09:49 AM   #3
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
It's a very good brand if not the best. Also consider Helly Hansen and Spyder.

I just got a new Spyder jacket and like it a lot. I personally like my jacket with a little more style. Some of the stuff out there looks sloppy.

I tried on just about every jacket they had. Almost went with Marmont but it would be too warm for the entire season. The HH stuff was super nice but I find that everyone has HH wherever I ski so wanted to get something less popular. My son has HH jacket and pants and the florescent undertones helps me keep track of him when he skis off like a madman!

Spyder has been around forever and I used Spyder before along with CB that is no longer is business. I went with what I had experience with in the end.

Hope it works out, they are all outstanding brands!

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 09:59 AM   #4
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
I've owned some of their Ski gear over the years. They probably do more R&D than most other outdoor companies, but as always once they've become a larger company they outsource production to scale up. I think they still stand behind their brand, but production quality isn't as flawless as it was in the earlier years.

Patagonia is a go-to for me, strictly due to the lengths they will go to keep you as a customer. I blew out a seam on some pants in a season (50ish days) and went to the outlet to get some stitching tape and the associate practically demanded they replace them entirely. Next pair has been flawless.

Good article on Arc'teryx: https://www.powder.com/photos/behind...cteryx-jacket/
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 10:05 AM   #5
elcompa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 118206
I have a number of their outdoor items...outershell, a few longsleeve running shirts, watch caps, a couple mid. and light weight layers. All good stuff that looks good while doing what it says it should do. Very happy customer and will buy again.
elcompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 10:06 AM   #6
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
We generally wear Patagonia gear on the ski patrol. It's rugged, and if it does tear or otherwise fail, you can call them and they will ship replacements asking only that you send the damaged gear back to them. They fix every garment that is fixable, and if you don't need it back, they will donate it to charity. I have two pairs of duty pants that I've worn in rotation over 150 days on the hill in the last four years. In the woods, on my knees, on and off chairlifts, and they are bombproof. I can't even tell which pair is a year newer, except that it has a strap clip on the cuff.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 10:38 AM   #7
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
It's good solid stuff. I'm a Mountain Hardwear guy mostly nowadays. I used to wear The North Face, in the 80s and early 90s, before it became fashion instead of function.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 11:22 AM   #8
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
It's good solid stuff. I'm a Mountain Hardwear guy mostly nowadays. I used to wear The North Face, in the 80s and early 90s, before it became fashion instead of function.
True about The North Face, but their Summit Series line is top notch. That’s the only alpine gear I need and wear.
Old 17 January 2018, 11:28 AM   #9
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Last year I went to Nordstrom intending to buy Canada goose, they were sold out. I ended up getting kjus. Look into it. I now have two jackets and they’re ridiculously good. Made for skiers, but great for everyday wear
Old 17 January 2018, 11:28 AM   #10
Laszlo

Doesn’t North Face produce/own Mountain Gear?

Old 17 January 2018, 12:07 PM   #11
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Doesn’t North Face produce/own Mountain Gear?
I'm not familiar with Mountain Gear. If you're referring to Mountain Hardwear, the company was formed by a group of disgruntled Sierra Designs employees. Rumor has it that they set up shop directly across the street from The North Face in Berkeley, CA. The company listing is in Richmond, which is also in the Bay Area, but hardly "across the street."
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 12:17 PM   #12
Laszlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
I'm not familiar with Mountain Gear. If you're referring to Mountain Hardwear, the company was formed by a group of disgruntled Sierra Designs employees. Rumor has it that they set up shop directly across the street from The North Face in Berkeley, CA. The company listing is in Richmond, which is also in the Bay Area, but hardly "across the street."
Sorry my bad I meant Mountain Hardware.

Old 17 January 2018, 12:38 PM   #13
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I liked Canada Goose as I always felt colder than normal when temps dropped below zero, but don't need cold wear in Southern California.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 02:54 PM   #14
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
My Wife likes the brand. Only experience I have is she bought a nice light rain jacket for our last African Safari and left it on the plane on the way there. Awesome company not inexpensive and high quality.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 03:17 PM   #15
520Matt
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD, LV,GMT II Pep
Arc’teryx is great quality gear. I would say it fits a bit small size so hopefully you can try it on. Also keep an eye out for sales. You can grab some great deals at REI ( love REI). I give Arc’teryx a big a
520Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 03:18 PM   #16
520Matt
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD, LV,GMT II Pep
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNALION View Post
My Wife likes the brand. Only experience I have is she bought a nice light rain jacket for our last African Safari and left it on the plane on the way there. Awesome company not inexpensive and high quality.
The good news is you got great weather on the safari
520Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 11:45 PM   #17
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Living in the frigid north, I've worn Mountain Hardware, Marmot, Arc'teryx, Mountain Uniforms and Patagonia. I can't complain about any of those brands. Cold gear these days is superior in features and quality to anything I grew up wearing.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 02:02 AM   #18
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

I'm a huge Arcteryx fan. They have a wide variety of products that seem thoughtfully designed for specific activities. The materials and construction are top notch. For me, at least, the fit is phenomenal and consistent across their product line. Not to tight, not bulky, excellent freedom of movement, and very lightweight. Particularly the arms and hoods on their hardshells are just about perfect and easily adjustable depending on what else you're wearing.

My most worn pieces are the Atom AR and Atom LT hoodies for insulation, Beta LT shell when I have thin insulation or for rain, Rush for when I want more insulation underneath. The Rush is one of the dedicated ski shells. The only issue is that the Gore-Tex they use is noisy to wear with the hood up, but that's the price you pay for wind-proof, water-proof, and durable. Mine all look new after a wash despite years of use.

Explore their website to get info, then look around for the best prices. I don't think I can mention etailers on the forum, but there are often good deals to be had on last season items in discontinues colors.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 03:15 AM   #19
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

I agree with the above post.
I essentially have a retail store worth of Arcteryx in my home. I LOVE the stuff. From base layers, to 3 pairs of ski pants and 4 ski jackets, 6 polartecs, a hooded puffy jacket, a puffy vest (wearing right now) to hats, gloves, bags, underwear, you name it. It is my favorite brand for intense ski wear and gear.
And I have and use gear from TNF, Spyder, HH, Marmot, Patagonia, MH, etc., and quite like all of those brands too. But Arcteryx is a step above in my experience.

I've not had a single Arcteryx product that I didn't think was the best of the best when comparing to all other brands.
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 03:33 AM   #20
Hamish
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5575
AK Burton is very good
Hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 03:37 AM   #21
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
Living in the frigid north, I've worn Mountain Hardware, Marmot, Arc'teryx, Mountain Uniforms and Patagonia. I can't complain about any of those brands. Cold gear these days is superior in features and quality to anything I grew up wearing.
exactly.

ArcT is a premium brand in a crowded segment. its more about the style than anything else. they're all very good nowadays.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 03:42 AM   #22
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Funny, I’m in the market for a new jacket and tried on this brand just last evening.

It was nice, but It didn’t do it for me. I’ll stick with Canada Goose
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 03:46 AM   #23
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Funny, I’m in the market for a new jacket and tried on this brand just last evening.

It was nice, but It didn’t do it for me. I’ll stick with Canada Goose
I don’t ski but I too am a Canada Goose fan.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 04:06 AM   #24
Syed117
"TRF" Member

I bought a Canada Goose Chateau parka for my dad and the sizing was very strange.

I know it's a slim fit, but he's about 5'8" and not a large man by any means, but medium was way too tight.

Large might work in terms of interior space, but it might end up being too long. I'm about 5'11", 200lbs with fairly broad shoulders. Don't think a large would even work on me.
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 04:18 AM   #25
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
I bought a Canada Goose Chateau parka for my dad and the sizing was very strange.

I know it's a slim fit, but he's about 5'8" and not a large man by any means, but medium was way too tight.

Large might work in terms of interior space, but it might end up being too long. I'm about 5'11", 200lbs with fairly broad shoulders. Don't think a large would even work on me.
Sizing can be frustrating and it’s much easier in person. It also helps to understand how they go about and why they recommend at least on their website what sizes to take. For more severe cold weather coats their recommendations are for larger sizes so that you have the ability to layer. However for other coats above 0 this isn’t necessarily the case. Anyway they are the only site I know of which rates their coats based on tempature.

Best advice is to do it in person. For this really helped to get me into a the bomber jacket that would work for my size. The one I might have purchased just didn’t. So yes I would say certain jackets or coats they make work better for certain body types. But user feedback on sites like Amazon and Moose Jaw mention this and can greatly help with making a better choice. By the second coat which I purchased on the internet at a rare savings for Canada Goose I had a better idea what I was doing. So the second best advice is to look at a number of sites besides Canada Goose, such as Amazon, and Moose Jaw which actually give pretty good sizing advice. Pay attention to user feedback and buy only from places with liberal return policies.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 18 January 2018, 04:26 AM   #26
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Sizing can be frustrating and it’s much easier in person. It also helps to understand how they go about and why they recommend at least on their website what sizes to take. For more severe cold weather coats their recommendations are for larger sizes so that you have the ability to layer. However for other coats above 0 this isn’t necessarily the case. Anyway they are the only site I know of which rates their coats based on tempature.

Best advice is to do it in person. For this really helped to get me into a the bomber jacket that would work for my size. The one I might have purchased just didn’t. So yes I would say certain jackets or coats they make work better for certain body types. By the second coat which I purchased on the internet at a rare savings for Canada Goose I had a better idea what I was doing. So the second best advice is to look at a number of sites besides Canada Goose, such as Amazon, and Moose Jaw which actually give pretty good sizing advice. Pay attention to user feedback and buy only from places with liberal return policies.
Thanks as always

I actually stopped by the store here in Manhattan, but the guy pretty much laughed at me when I asked for a coat.

This was around 6 on a weeknight. He said they had a single small size non fur men's parka.

Their website is always sold out and apparently people still line up at opening at the store every day.

Might have to just wait to buy one for next winter.
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 04:39 AM   #27
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
Thanks as always

I actually stopped by the store here in Manhattan, but the guy pretty much laughed at me when I asked for a coat.

This was around 6 on a weeknight. He said they had a single small size non fur men's parka.

Their website is always sold out and apparently people still line up at opening at the store every day.

Might have to just wait to buy one for next winter.
Availability is a problem. I just happened to get extremely lucky the year I purchased my first one as there were a few to compare too. The week after I bought mine there weren’t but a few and none of the models I looked at the previous week and the retailer said he didn’t have any more coming in.

Three or four years later more than just one store in my area now carry them but it’s still very limited. I doubt very much in my location that this $1000 coat will get much better.Being Manhattan you probably will stand a better chance but you have to shop for them as soon as they become available.

All I could recommend in the meantime is to become more familiar with the various types and styles of coats and jackets they offer and pay attention to the user reviews based on body types. I really found the Canada Goose, Amazon, and Moose Jaw Websites the most helpful. Also recommend you check out the various Canada Goose authorized retailers as you just might luck out like I did on my last coat. I saved $300 or $400 and that’s extremely rare. The retailer must have been liquidating their Canada Goose stock. They either must have decided to no longer carry them or Canada Goose must have decided to no longer use them. I did a price match with Moose Jaw just to make sure I would have no issues.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 18 January 2018, 04:47 AM   #28
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Of course the other problem with brick and mortar is just because they might sell Canada Goose they generally only sell a few models.

For me the different features such as the coats that have the removable hood vs non removable hood are a big deal to me.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 18 January 2018, 04:56 AM   #29
Cru Jones

I've skied with one of their shell jackets for years... excellent quality and with a quick wash it looks like new.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 05:01 AM   #30
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126508 Paul Newman
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Availability is a problem. I just happened to get extremely lucky the year I purchased my first one as there were a few to compare too. The week after I bought mine there weren’t but a few and none of the models I looked at the previous week and the retailer said he didn’t have any more coming in.

Three or four years later more than just one store in my area now carry them but it’s still very limited. I doubt very much in my location that this $1000 coat will get much better.Being Manhattan you probably will stand a better chance but you have to shop for them as soon as they become available.

All I could recommend in the meantime is to become more familiar with the various types and styles of coats and jackets they offer and pay attention to the user reviews based on body types. I really found the Canada Goose, Amazon, and Moose Jaw Websites the most helpful. Also recommend you check out the various Canada Goose authorized retailers as you just might luck out like I did on my last coat. I saved $300 or $400 and that’s extremely rare. The retailer must have been liquidating their Canada Goose stock. They either must have decided to no longer carry them or Canada Goose must have decided to no longer use them. I did a price match with Moose Jaw just to make sure I would have no issues.
I absolutely love my two Canada Goose jackets but I agree the sizing is a bit strange. Even with their advice on the sizing on their website I ended up sending one jacket back to get a smaller size. The availability of their jackets is borderline ridiculous. I actually bought both my Canada jackets in June last year because I could not find one single jacket (even ones I didn't even want) available the entire year before. So if you know which jacket you want maybe try buying in the summer!
mtrunner is offline   Reply With Quote