The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 17 January 2018, 04:10 AM   #91
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heff View Post
I enjoy this forum very much honestly. We are all here because we enjoy watches, which range in price from inexpensive to very expensive. Some of the people here are blessed with having a very wealthy life, and others budget and save. But what draws us all together is our love and enjoyment for horology. So when topics such as “How much money do you carry around?” come up, it just seems unnecessary to me. People post pictures of their expensive cars and toys, so just flat out discussing the amount of money in our wallet seems unnecessary.

Attack me if you will. Maybe I offended you, and if so, I apologize. But when we are on a forum that is already dedicated to the display of high end watches, do we really need to discuss how much cash we have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is the Open Discussion forum, where all manner of conversations occur. There plenty of watch only hang outs if you are frustrated with topics such as this one.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 04:10 AM   #92
Lord Woodford MBE
Banned

Watch: Sub 16613 / 114060
Enjoying the comments on this Thread.

But personally I carry no cash at all, Everything I need is either paid for via card or phone app.

To me cash has become a little out of date....
Lord Woodford MBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 04:17 AM   #93
Rondineli
Banned

Watch: DJ II
not really, I take $100 USD at the beginning of every month, and I spend on miscellaneous food items... sometimes cigars...
Rondineli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 04:18 AM   #94
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
I’ve carried zero cash for the last 5 Years ish. For people carrying several thousand, are you working in the pawn shop biz looking for great deals? Just seems a bit different to me. Also, where in the world would you keep that wad of cash, in your pocket?
~JJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 04:21 AM   #95
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
Usually between $100 and $200. Keep a bit more at home, but not a lot.
Tri-Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 04:28 AM   #96
alleged
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 116200
I can't imagine a legit reason you might need a spare 5 or 10K in your pocket. Neither do the American police, who like to do civil forfeitures when they suspect something illegal.
alleged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 04:35 AM   #97
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Quote:
I enjoy this forum very much honestly. We are all here because we enjoy watches, which range in price from inexpensive to very expensive. Some of the people here are blessed with having a very wealthy life, and others budget and save. But what draws us all together is our love and enjoyment for horology. So when topics such as “How much money do you carry around?” come up, it just seems unnecessary to me. People post pictures of their expensive cars and toys, so just flat out discussing the amount of money in our wallet seems unnecessary.

Attack me if you will. Maybe I offended you, and if so, I apologize. But when we are on a forum that is already dedicated to the display of high end watches, do we really need to discuss how much cash we have?

I won’t attack you, but it does seem you’re being overly sensitive. It wasn’t a “post your bank balance” thread. It was about whether you carry cash or have gone cashless. I expect Mon’s comments about carrying around $10k just in case was a tongue in cheek joke.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 04:39 AM   #98
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
I believe the US is about the only country that has all the currency the same size and color. Most places they vary in size depending on value.
They do, but Euros get tall very quickly as you go up in denomination. The €50 is ridiculous, they stick out of my wallet and get dog-eared and tatty if I don't fold them.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 04:43 AM   #99
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I think I understand where you're coming from Heff, but the question was never about how much cash you have, it was about how much cash you carry with you.

That's more than a difference of semantics. It's a discussion more about the perceived need for immediate access to currency in ones daily life, than a discussion necessarily about ones wealth.

The two might or might not be related.

Fwiw, I've seen threads shut down before they hardly start, when the topic is about ones net worth. We do have standards, you just sometimes have to look hard to find them.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 04:45 AM   #100
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JJ View Post
I’ve carried zero cash for the last 5 Years ish. For people carrying several thousand, are you working in the pawn shop biz looking for great deals? Just seems a bit different to me. Also, where in the world would you keep that wad of cash, in your pocket?
Some here have deep pockets it seems.
Old 17 January 2018, 04:50 AM   #101
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
I won’t attack you, but it does seem you’re being overly sensitive. It wasn’t a “post your bank balance” thread. It was about whether you carry cash or have gone cashless. I expect Mon’s comments about carrying around $10k just in case was a tongue in cheek joke.

Agree completely, attacks are always unwelcome and unnecessary.

And Mon does seem to have quite the sense of humour, so perhaps you're right again.

Old 17 January 2018, 05:04 AM   #102
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
I don't use credit cards or debit cards really, I have a debit for online purchases, but everything else is straight cash. I had my wallet stolen last year with around a grand in it, so I usually don't carry much more than that anymore.
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 05:07 AM   #103
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JJ View Post
funny you mention that, I am a pawnbroker, and while I can't buy stuff through my work, I buy and sell stuff on the side. So most of my cash is spent at Estate/garage sales/ and other pawn shops who usually will eat tax and give a better discount with cash purchases.
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 05:08 AM   #104
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
However, Mon is an international man of mystery, so my mind can conjure up numerous scenarios where $20K could buy silence, encourage compliance, right wrongs or benefit the needs of humanity on a regular basis. You don't think Bruce Wayne would leave stately Wayne Manor without a few buck in his pocket, do you?
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 05:19 AM   #105
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:

So how much cash do you carry?
Old 17 January 2018, 05:42 AM   #106
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

I keep $1000 in cash on me at all times.
Old 17 January 2018, 06:15 AM   #107
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Growing up, my father paid cash for everything and always had a significant amount on hand. I basically followed his lead and do the same.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 06:22 AM   #108
Iflylo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
Growing up, my father paid cash for everything and always had a significant amount on hand. I basically followed his lead and do the same.
Same here, "it's money what talks the loudest" said Pops.
Old 17 January 2018, 06:46 AM   #109
Canefan1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
However, Mon is an international man of mystery, so my mind can conjure up numerous scenarios where $20K could buy silence, encourage compliance, right wrongs or benefit the needs of humanity on a regular basis. You don't think Bruce Wayne would leave stately Wayne Manor without a few buck in his pocket, do you?
I’ve followed Mon for years even when he was in Boca. He has many interests other than watches. Scooters, watercraft amongst other things. He has his reasons and it’s obvious that having this amount on him has worked for him in previous situations (I’m guessing). Do your thing Mon .
Canefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 06:47 AM   #110
Canefan1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRolexKingofLV View Post
I feel comfortable with this number myself.
Old 17 January 2018, 07:10 AM   #111
GfromMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canefan1 View Post
I feel comfortable with this number myself.
I have +$1k in the wallet at the moment... but that's thanks to a couple of lucky parlay bets on the Titans & Falcons at Aria two weekends ago. Normally I have around $100. I always pay with credit though, and rarely use cash.
GfromMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 07:10 AM   #112
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
I usually carry a few hundred dollars in cash on me.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 07:13 AM   #113
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I always carry a small tube of unicorn tears - far more valuable than cash. Just a single drop would easily buy me a Rolex or two!
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 07:17 AM   #114
Canefan1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GfromMT View Post
I have +$1k in the wallet at the moment... but that's thanks to a couple of lucky parlay bets on the Titans & Falcons at Aria two weekends ago. Normally I have around $100. I always pay with credit though, and rarely use cash.
Nice!
Old 17 January 2018, 08:20 AM   #115
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canefan1 View Post
I’ve followed Mon for years even when he was in Boca. He has many interests other than watches. Scooters, watercraft amongst other things. He has his reasons and it’s obvious that having this amount on him has worked for him in previous situations (I’m guessing). Do your thing Mon .
It works 8-9 times out of 10.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 08:23 AM   #116
Canefan1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
It works 8-9 times out of 10.
Boom. Nuff said.
Old 17 January 2018, 10:13 AM   #117
Sperry
"TRF" Member

A couple decades ago I used to carry around a grand all the time. Sometimes three or four. Pick through gold scrap, buy gold shot, turn it into other things. Got out of that about a decade ago. Did come across a 14k necklace left over from the day, in a box of odds'n'ends. Took it to "my guy" on Jewelers Row.

Wow, almost five C-notes. Should have bought more when gold was $235 ...
Sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 10:16 AM   #118
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Depends on what you are trying to "score" with that kind of cash. :D LOL

I have no cash on me 95% of the time, I just use my cards for anything everything. And about 40% of the times, I don't even have cards on me, and just rely on Apple Pay ... :D
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 10:17 AM   #119
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
Most days just a couple of $20’s.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 11:08 AM   #120
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRolexKingofLV View Post
Looking at your avatar, I'm guessing it's a whole lot more than that.