The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 11 May 2022, 09:57 PM   #1
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Car/watch guy dilemma (car content)

This is a dilemma that has come up here in the past pertaining to watches. Just presenting it here as most can relate the two subjects, but this is talking about a car.
My father passed away in Dec of 21, leaving behind some vehicles for me to keep, sort out, sell etc..
He was a car guy, loved watches a bit (had a couple Rolex), but more of a automobile enthusiast. He’s always had Porsche 911’s amongst many others, but Porsche was always his favorite. One car he left was a 08 911 Carrera S that is in great condition, 43k miles. I’m the type that typically loves the latest models, or the vintage models, (I’ve had a few 911’s in both genres) I love Porsche as well!
I do like the 997 platform, but the 991 & 992 platform, or go back to the air cooled versions is what I really love.
My dilemma is, do I sell/trade to one of the models I personally really love, knowing he’d basically love any 911 variant….or….keep for the sentimental value alone?
Not heartbroken either way, just getting other enthusiasts thoughts on this. (Keep in mind, none of this has to do with $$)
Thanks all
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 10:08 PM   #2
Goin2drt
Banned

"not heart broken either way" answers the question for me. Sell and buy what you like. Period. If you had some fond memories growing up detailing the car with him or going to shows etc etc then maybe my answer would be different.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 10:11 PM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Richard, I’m not a car guy but ….

If your dads Porsche doesn’t really have any sentimental value, I’d sell it and buy something that really speaks to you.

I can see you in a nice vintage air cooled 911. This might be a nice nostalgic model to commemorate your dad
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 10:45 PM   #4
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
My condolences for your loss.

I am a car guy. Full disclosure. I've owned several 911s, from 964 through 991.

My wife is going through a similar situation as she settles both parents' estates. She is much more sentimental than I am. I'd toss it all, LOL.

My father passed when I was 17, so I didn't have the options that the OP now does, and I was very angry back then so I didn't keep much of his stuff. Even now, I have no regrets about that. I have my memories, and that's really all I need.

My long-winded way of saying: you gotta do what you need to do. Don't worry about what other people think.

To answer the question though: keep something that makes you think of him, be it a hand tool, poster, gear shift handle, whatever. Take the money and buy what makes you happy, be it a 964, 997, whatever. He'll appreciate that, and if you believe that spirits watch over us, he'll enjoy watching you enjoy it.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 10:49 PM   #5
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
sorry for your loss.

as much as people like to attach feelings to "stuff", its really just stuff.

sell it and move on brother...from the object. you will always have great memories of your dad. do your thing.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 10:56 PM   #6
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

If your dads Porsche doesn’t really have any sentimental value, I’d sell it and buy something that really speaks to you.

I can see you in a nice vintage air cooled 911. This might be a nice nostalgic model to commemorate your dad
I agree with this. Good luck Rich!
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 10:58 PM   #7
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
One car he left was a 08 911 Carrera S that is in great condition, 43k miles.
I ran a 2008 997 C2S 3.8L manual transmission for four years, and it's a peach IMO. Plenty fast enough for the road, sounds awesome, great handling, brakes etc., and because it's a bit older, it doesn't attract too much attention.

Look out for bore scoring, my car didn't and most don't, but it can be a problem with that engine.

I would drive it for a while, see how you like it, then decide.
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 10:59 PM   #8
rmlovett1

Thank you gentlemen for the input! I really appreciate it! I do have a couple other vehicles of his that I would never sell, along with a 36 mm DJ (not a watch I would wear very often) that I would also never sell.
Old 11 May 2022, 11:00 PM   #9
rmlovett1

⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️ Thanks men!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
"not heart broken either way" answers the question for me. Sell and buy what you like. Period. If you had some fond memories growing up detailing the car with him or going to shows etc etc then maybe my answer would be different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
My condolences for your loss.

I am a car guy. Full disclosure. I've owned several 911s, from 964 through 991.

My wife is going through a similar situation as she settles both parents' estates. She is much more sentimental than I am. I'd toss it all, LOL.

My father passed when I was 17, so I didn't have the options that the OP now does, and I was very angry back then so I didn't keep much of his stuff. Even now, I have no regrets about that. I have my memories, and that's really all I need.

My long-winded way of saying: you gotta do what you need to do. Don't worry about what other people think.

To answer the question though: keep something that makes you think of him, be it a hand tool, poster, gear shift handle, whatever. Take the money and buy what makes you happy, be it a 964, 997, whatever. He'll appreciate that, and if you believe that spirits watch over us, he'll enjoy watching you enjoy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
sorry for your loss.

sell it and move on brother...from the object. you will always have great memories of your dad. do your thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
I agree with this. Good luck Rich!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
I ran a 2008 997 C2S 3.8L manual transmission for four years, and it's a peach IMO. Plenty fast enough for the road, sounds awesome, great handling, brakes etc., and because it's a bit older, it doesn't attract too much attention.

Look out for bore scoring, my car didn't and most don't, but it can be a problem with that engine.

I would drive it for a while, see how you like it, then decide.
Old 11 May 2022, 11:05 PM   #10
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Sorry to hear about your Dad.

If this were me and I was not going to get enjoyment out of anything he left me I would part ways and get or do something that I would enjoy.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 11:11 PM   #11
dowheelies
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
First off my condolences on the loss of your father.
Being a car guy and father of 2 I’ve pondered what I would want my son’s to do with some of my cars. There is one, 2000 Lightning, that would somewhat “brake my heart” if sold in my thinking (I’d be dead though so really WTF). I’ve had it since my first son was born and we both have a ton of great memories in it but I would understand if he sold it. I’d just pray he did something worthwhile with the money, that retained or grew in value, that made him happy ultimately. You know better than most anyone but I’d be willing to think your father would be happy if you purchased another Porsche of your liking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dowheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 12:30 AM   #12
Booth9999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
sorry for your loss.

Wise advice.
Booth9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 02:44 AM   #13
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Car/watch guy dilemma (car content)

I am sorry to hear of your loss Rich.

I am a car guy myself and actually owned an 07. I am also a very sentimental guy and value heirlooms dearly.

That being said, to me personally a car isn’t nearly as sentimental as a watch that is worn daily. Especially a car that is typically a weekend warrior. However this is just my perspective and I’m the kid that crashed my dad’s car the same week I got my learners permit driving like a knuckle head

Personally, unless it was a car I saw him drove daily, wash every weekend, talk to the car, name it, I would rather drive something we would both appreciate. Instead of keeping a car that I wouldn’t drive in the garage where it will slowly wither away, I would rather sell it to someone who would enjoy it the way it was meant and attain car Valhalla.

By the way, I never liked my 07.
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 02:53 AM   #14
Danny83

Watch: Yellow Gold
I would keep it 100% thats me though. Anything dad use to drive stays.
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 03:30 AM   #15
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
One question that will answer this for me. Are there other 911s from his collection being kept?

That would likely be the determinant for me.
Old 12 May 2022, 04:12 AM   #16
rmlovett1

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Sorry to hear about your Dad.

If this were me and I was not going to get enjoyment out of anything he left me I would part ways and get or do something that I would enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowheelies View Post
First off my condolences on the loss of your father.
Being a car guy and father of 2 I’ve pondered what I would want my son’s to do with some of my cars. There is one, 2000 Lightning, that would somewhat “brake my heart” if sold in my thinking (I’d be dead though so really WTF). I’ve had it since my first son was born and we both have a ton of great memories in it but I would understand if he sold it. I’d just pray he did something worthwhile with the money, that retained or grew in value, that made him happy ultimately. You know better than most anyone but I’d be willing to think your father would be happy if you purchased another Porsche of your liking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I didn’t think of it from that perspective, me being a father of three…I tend to agree. Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booth9999 View Post
Wise advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
I am sorry to hear of your loss Rich.

I am a car guy myself and actually owned an 07. I am also a very sentimental guy and value heirlooms dearly.

That being said, to me personally a car isn’t nearly as sentimental as a watch that is worn daily. Especially a car that is typically a weekend warrior. However this is just my perspective and I’m the kid that crashed my dad’s car the same week I got my learners permit driving like a knuckle head

Personally, unless it was a car I saw him drove daily, wash every weekend, talk to the car, name it, I would rather drive something we would both appreciate. Instead of keeping a car that I wouldn’t drive in the garage where it will slowly wither away, I would rather sell it to someone who would enjoy it the way it was meant and attain car Valhalla.

By the way, I never liked my 07.
Great points! I have his TT DJ that he wore daily, and although I’d wear it maybe 1/2 times a year (just not my style & size) I wouldn’t sell it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
I would keep it 100% thats me though. Anything dad use to drive stays.
Thank you Danny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
One question that will answer this for me. Are there other 911s from his collection being kept?

That would likely be the determinant for me.
No other 911’s… he actually sold a ‘92 964 911, about a year before he passed, a bit of dementia had set in and he didn’t ask me about it before he did it. Got ripped by about $10k I could’ve rung his neck and the buyer as well, but I didn’t find out until a couple weeks after
I still have his C7 Stingray, Shelby gt500, Jeep TJ Wrangler as well. Those were his “fun cars” Had a couple other daily drivers that went to family already, but I have the fun ones.

Thank you for all the thoughts !
Old 12 May 2022, 04:21 AM   #17
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Sounds like you're conflicted, pretty normal. I'd shelf the decision and revisit when you know.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 05:26 AM   #18
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I’d be tempted to keep since money isn’t an issue but I also align with Seth in that objects are just things and generally I don’t get tied to them.

When in doubt. Hold until sure!
Old 12 May 2022, 06:15 AM   #19
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

There are many different ways to look at it, but I prefer the 991 to the 997, which always felt a bit agricultural to me. 991.1 are the last NA versions, and as S or 4S fast enough on the right kind of road. Although if I were to get another one, I'd go for whatever the latest generation is; I got a bit tired of wondering what would fail next on my 991.1 4S, once it was out of warranty.
VogelPhoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 07:52 AM   #20
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
You have the other cars from his collection that you'll keep so I wouldn't feel bad about selling that Porsche. If you want to you could keep the shift knob that he used and replace it with new.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 09:01 AM   #21
rmlovett1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
Sounds like you're conflicted, pretty normal. I'd shelf the decision and revisit when you know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I’d be tempted to keep since money isn’t an issue but I also align with Seth in that objects are just things and generally I don’t get tied to them.

When in doubt. Hold until sure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
There are many different ways to look at it, but I prefer the 991 to the 997, which always felt a bit agricultural to me. 991.1 are the last NA versions, and as S or 4S fast enough on the right kind of road. Although if I were to get another one, I'd go for whatever the latest generation is; I got a bit tired of wondering what would fail next on my 991.1 4S, once it was out of warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Bay Rider View Post
You have the other cars from his collection that you'll keep so I wouldn't feel bad about selling that Porsche. If you want to you could keep the shift knob that he used and replace it with new.
Thanks gentlemen
Old 13 May 2022, 01:46 AM   #22
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Like others, I am sorry to hear it Richard. Personally, I don't really "get" the car/watch sentimental value. One day I'll get off my butt and sell my 36mm TT DJ, like you have but don't wear. I got married in it. It's my first Rolex, etc. But so what? I don't have the shirt I wore to my wedding either!

Anyway, I think I'd feel the same about cars, although you and your dad both being car guys does complicate things. Seems like you have a lot of cars already, so if one of the vehicles was a keeper, I think that would be great. If not, and it doesn't have more sentimental value to you than my "stuff" does to me, cash it out.
Old 13 May 2022, 04:44 AM   #23
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
So sorry for your loss. My husband lost his father, with whom he was very close, 7 years ago, and it’s still tough.

The first thing is, is it sentimental enough to you to keep it? That is, you want it and cherish it. I suspect the answer is no, which is why you’re asking. If it’s yes, then keep it.

If you’re conflicted over selling it just because “it was Dad’s car,” as others have said, sell it and get something you enjoy. That’s how you honor your father’s memory. There will be a Porsche enthusiast out there who will love the heck out of it. An object that your father loved will continue to be loved.

My husband kept his dad’s car, as it was a nice car that we actually wanted and drove, and its utilitarian value exceeded its book value. He did have to sell the house, which was tough (his brother wanted to sell). He and his brother ended up buying something that worked for them and their families way, way better than just keeping their dad’s house and renting it (neither of our families actually wanted to live in it). Although it was very tough from a sentimental perspective, I told my husband that the only reason he was able to grow up in that house was because its previous owners had sold it to his parents (once their children had grown up). So, now a new family can make their own memories in the house. Now, in hindsight, selling it was the best thing to do, because the proceeds were used for a good purpose that couldn’t have been accomplished but for the sale.

My mom passed away 2 years ago, and we went through something similar on a much smaller scale (no Rolex or Porsche). I kept a couple of little trinkets that had meaning to me, sold her car and house, and either junked or donated everything else. She was a teacher who absolutely loved books, and although I took a good number of them, I just couldn’t keep hundreds of books just because they were precious to her. I donated them, and I imagine someone else is enjoying and reading them.

If it’s too difficult to make the decision now, it’s fine waiting.

Good luck!
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 04:47 AM   #24
Cru Jones

Nothing that I can add that hasn’t already been said.

Sorry for your loss.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 05:19 AM   #25
rmlovett1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
Like others, I am sorry to hear it Richard. Personally, I don't really "get" the car/watch sentimental value. One day I'll get off my butt and sell my 36mm TT DJ, like you have but don't wear. I got married in it. It's my first Rolex, etc. But so what? I don't have the shirt I wore to my wedding either!

Anyway, I think I'd feel the same about cars, although you and your dad both being car guys does complicate things. Seems like you have a lot of cars already, so if one of the vehicles was a keeper, I think that would be great. If not, and it doesn't have more sentimental value to you than my "stuff" does to me, cash it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boopie View Post
So sorry for your loss. My husband lost his father, with whom he was very close, 7 years ago, and it’s still tough.

The first thing is, is it sentimental enough to you to keep it? That is, you want it and cherish it. I suspect the answer is no, which is why you’re asking. If it’s yes, then keep it.

If you’re conflicted over selling it just because “it was Dad’s car,” as others have said, sell it and get something you enjoy. That’s how you honor your father’s memory. There will be a Porsche enthusiast out there who will love the heck out of it. An object that your father loved will continue to be loved.

My husband kept his dad’s car, as it was a nice car that we actually wanted and drove, and its utilitarian value exceeded its book value. He did have to sell the house, which was tough (his brother wanted to sell). He and his brother ended up buying something that worked for them and their families way, way better than just keeping their dad’s house and renting it (neither of our families actually wanted to live in it). Although it was very tough from a sentimental perspective, I told my husband that the only reason he was able to grow up in that house was because its previous owners had sold it to his parents (once their children had grown up). So, now a new family can make their own memories in the house. Now, in hindsight, selling it was the best thing to do, because the proceeds were used for a good purpose that couldn’t have been accomplished but for the sale.

My mom passed away 2 years ago, and we went through something similar on a much smaller scale (no Rolex or Porsche). I kept a couple of little trinkets that had meaning to me, sold her car and house, and either junked or donated everything else. She was a teacher who absolutely loved books, and although I took a good number of them, I just couldn’t keep hundreds of books just because they were precious to her. I donated them, and I imagine someone else is enjoying and reading them.

If it’s too difficult to make the decision now, it’s fine waiting.

Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Nothing that I can add that hasn’t already been said.

Sorry for your loss.
Really appreciate it, thank you!
Old 13 May 2022, 11:14 PM   #26
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
This is a dilemma that has come up here in the past pertaining to watches. Just presenting it here as most can relate the two subjects, but this is talking about a car.
My father passed away in Dec of 21, leaving behind some vehicles for me to keep, sort out, sell etc..
He was a car guy, loved watches a bit (had a couple Rolex), but more of a automobile enthusiast. He’s always had Porsche 911’s amongst many others, but Porsche was always his favorite. One car he left was a 08 911 Carrera S that is in great condition, 43k miles. I’m the type that typically loves the latest models, or the vintage models, (I’ve had a few 911’s in both genres) I love Porsche as well!
I do like the 997 platform, but the 991 & 992 platform, or go back to the air cooled versions is what I really love.
My dilemma is, do I sell/trade to one of the models I personally really love, knowing he’d basically love any 911 variant….or….keep for the sentimental value alone?
Not heartbroken either way, just getting other enthusiasts thoughts on this. (Keep in mind, none of this has to do with $$)
Thanks all

Well Richard think he will be happy looking at you from Heaven as you drive what you like, regardless if it’s one of the cars he left you or a different one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2022, 12:20 AM   #27
NYC6
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBMARINER 14060M
Sorry about your dad. Didn’t read all responses but you should factor in the very high prices of used cars in the current bad economic climate in this country. Buy low, sell high applies for you now I believe.
NYC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2022, 12:28 AM   #28
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Condolences.

Only because you have so many other sentimental cars of his I’d be fine selling. 997s are collecting pretty strong dollar now so you could sell and wait a bit to buy a 911 you prefer as pricing relaxes.
rlj676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2022, 01:07 AM   #29
rmlovett1

Thank you for the thoughts gentlemen, really value the input.
Old 14 May 2022, 01:09 AM   #30
rmlovett1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
Well Richard think he will be happy looking at you from Heaven as you drive what you like, regardless if it’s one of the cars he left you or a different one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks Francisco!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Sorry about your dad. Didn’t read all responses but you should factor in the very high prices of used cars in the current bad economic climate in this country. Buy low, sell high applies for you now I believe.
It does, thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj676 View Post
Condolences.

Only because you have so many other sentimental cars of his I’d be fine selling. 997s are collecting pretty strong dollar now so you could sell and wait a bit to buy a 911 you prefer as pricing relaxes.
Good thought! I’ve been watching the auctions on these on Bring a Trailer