The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 May 2022, 01:17 AM   #31
NYG1121
2022 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP
Sorry for your loss. I am sure your dad would want you to do with it whatever will make you happy. I would be torn but there is only one car there that had an actual physical connection with him. I would have a hard time letting it go.
Old 14 May 2022, 03:40 AM   #32
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
This is a dilemma that has come up here in the past pertaining to watches. Just presenting it here as most can relate the two subjects, but this is talking about a car.
My father passed away in Dec of 21, leaving behind some vehicles for me to keep, sort out, sell etc..
He was a car guy, loved watches a bit (had a couple Rolex), but more of a automobile enthusiast. He’s always had Porsche 911’s amongst many others, but Porsche was always his favorite. One car he left was a 08 911 Carrera S that is in great condition, 43k miles. I’m the type that typically loves the latest models, or the vintage models, (I’ve had a few 911’s in both genres) I love Porsche as well!
I do like the 997 platform, but the 991 & 992 platform, or go back to the air cooled versions is what I really love.
My dilemma is, do I sell/trade to one of the models I personally really love, knowing he’d basically love any 911 variant….or….keep for the sentimental value alone?
Not heartbroken either way, just getting other enthusiasts thoughts on this. (Keep in mind, none of this has to do with $$)
Thanks all
Quote:

I didn’t think of it from that perspective, me being a father of three…I tend to agree. Thank you

Great points! I have his TT DJ that he wore daily, and although I’d wear it maybe 1/2 times a year (just not my style & size) I wouldn’t sell it.

Thank you Danny.

No other 911’s… he actually sold a ‘92 964 911, about a year before he passed, a bit of dementia had set in and he didn’t ask me about it before he did it. Got ripped by about $10k I could’ve rung his neck and the buyer as well, but I didn’t find out until a couple weeks after
I still have his C7 Stingray, Shelby gt500, Jeep TJ Wrangler as well. Those were his “fun cars” Had a couple other daily drivers that went to family already, but I have the fun ones.

Thank you for all the thoughts !
Really, really sorry for your loss.
So awesome that you had shared interests with your father in cars and watches.

Your post really hit home with me.
As with many others here, I'm in between 2 generations with a father who's getting up there, and a young son.

My dad isn't too sentimental about things, so if I was in a situation like yours, I believe he wouldn't care what I kept or not.

With my son, I guess I feel a bit differently since as an older dad (over 50 with a 5 yr old), I have less time with him, and he may get into watches and cars, so perhaps what I wore and drove may matter to him more.

Of course, ultimately, I want him to be happy, and to make his own choices towards that.

As others have said, if you're not quite sure what to do now, may as well keep the 997 and enjoy it the way your father did.
Once that 997 is gone, it's gone.

A time will come when the "right" choice will become clear.
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2022, 05:38 PM   #33
Dyim
"TRF" Member

Sorry for your loss.

I guess the question is do you keep them all or just a few.

At the end of the day, it is ultimately your decision. Do whatever makes you happy.

If you can’t decide, you can always hold and decide later.

Having said that, if you do decide to sell, now is probably the best time.

My kids will have to deal with my watches and cars in hopefully not less than 30 years from now. Watches are easy. Doesn’t take much space. Cars will be tricky. By then they will have to deal with ICE in an EV world. Assuming I haven’t sold the cars already because of me having trouble getting in and out of it.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2022, 06:13 PM   #34
Andad
2022 MN21 MilSub Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Sorry to read of your loss Rick.

There are always difficult decisions to make.

Having read a lot of your posts over the years I see you are a guy who knows what he wants in a car.

If one of the cars you have is the one then great.

If not flick them all and buy the one you want.

Given your late fathers love of cars I’m sure he would have agreed with your choice.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2022, 06:54 PM   #35
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
I would keep it 100% thats me though. Anything dad use to drive stays.
I am a massive car guy, no other answer. Think of big picture.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2022, 09:46 PM   #36
fskywalker
2022 MN21 MilSub 2 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
I still have his C7 Stingray, Shelby gt500, Jeep TJ Wrangler as well. Those were his “fun cars” Had a couple other daily drivers that went to family already, but I have the fun ones.

A picture of the fun cars would be nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ω 168.022 / 3520.50.00
Squale GMT Dusky
Smiths Commando
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2022, 10:23 PM   #37
Richris1

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
A picture of the fun cars would be nice!

Here you go Francisco…..The mustang is in storage now….my garage space is maxed out….

Richris1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2022, 10:25 PM   #38
Richris1

Watch: YTBD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Richris1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2022, 10:27 PM   #39
joeychitwood
2022 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
My father left me a beautifully restored 1949 DeSoto when he passed away in 2000. It was the model he bought when he got married. I drove it during the summers for a couple of years, but eventually, it wound up in a storage garage year-round. I reluctantly put it up for sale on eBay Motors. A DeSoto enthusiast from New York City bought it and restored it to all-OEM condition. He shows it constantly in car shows, and has enjoyed the car immensely. It made me feel good to know that it was bringing joy to someone rather than sitting in a garage forever.
joeychitwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2022, 10:36 PM   #40
fskywalker

Watch: Is Ticking !
Car/watch guy dilemma (car content)

Quote:
Here you go Francisco…..The mustang is in storage now….my garage space is maxed out….

Quote:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for sharing Richard, that’s an awesome collection! Like they say: like father like son …… your taste for great cars came from your Dad as his fun cars were fantastic, specially that blue Shelby GT500!

Ω 168.022 / 3520.50.00
Squale GMT Dusky
Smiths Commando
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote