The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 19 May 2022, 02:49 PM   #1
IS2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,PP,AP, PAM
Icon5 Need opinions on buying a 2018 Speedmaster CK2998

I came across a used CK2998 (Black panda dial) in a nice condition in a full set. The seller is asking $9k USD for the watch. I’m new to limited edition Omegas and I love the racing inspired look of this watch. Do you think that the price is reasonable? I also found an old ads from last year with a BNIB example that was sold for $7K. I know that the demand is higher nowadays but is paying $3-4k premium for a used example of this watch justifiable?
IS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 03:58 PM   #2
mquarter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5-digit steel
Omegas aren't as popular or as liquid as Rolexes, so it's worth proposing a more aggressive discount to the seller's asking price.
mquarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 04:10 PM   #3
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Prices of these have been on the rise. They don’t come up much now, whereas a few years ago there were a few about. The price is quite fair in comparison to those on chrono. By all means ask for a discount, you never know.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 05:56 PM   #4
ree7
"TRF" Member

The trend with most LE Speedmasters is that usually at launch it'll command a premium when everyone wants one. Then within first 1-3 years it'll be back to MSRP or even dip below MSRP as many are available at ch24. But after 3+ years, if it's a desirable model, it'll come back to MSRP or above, and rise steadily. I think because most have already stayed in private collections and not many shows up on ch24. Each year they seem to rise as new LE models' MSRP also increases. These CK2998's are $9k ish because new LEs like Apollo 8 are about same price. And some would argue the ck2998 is still a better looking piece.
Exceptions to this trend are Snoopy and 321. They're hard to get from day 1 and still are, because Omega changed the way they produce/distribute these. They didn't flood the market after release. They ship them sparingly.
ree7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 09:02 PM   #5
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Quote:
Originally Posted by ree7 View Post
The trend with most LE Speedmasters is that usually at launch it'll command a premium when everyone wants one. Then within first 1-3 years it'll be back to MSRP or even dip below MSRP as many are available at ch24. But after 3+ years, if it's a desirable model, it'll come back to MSRP or above, and rise steadily. I think because most have already stayed in private collections and not many shows up on ch24. Each year they seem to rise as new LE models' MSRP also increases. These CK2998's are $9k ish because new LEs like Apollo 8 are about same price. And some would argue the ck2998 is still a better looking piece.
Exceptions to this trend are Snoopy and 321. They're hard to get from day 1 and still are, because Omega changed the way they produce/distribute these. They didn't flood the market after release. They ship them sparingly.
Very good answer and I agree. Ask for a discount and hopefully you will get one though I would think slight. Around 9k is a fair price on a very cool watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2022, 05:05 AM   #6
rand8086
"TRF" Member

I saw one sell for $11,950 on WatchBox last month and another sold for $10.5K at Watch Exchange Co shortly before that.

It's possible the buyers negotiated down the price somewhat, but that said, $9K seems very reasonable to me.

If I didn't have one already myself, I wouldn't hesitate to buy at $9K.
rand8086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2022, 12:05 PM   #7
tacotaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C - Black
I believe this is fair, I paid $9800 for a complete set
tacotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2022, 12:05 PM   #8
IS2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,PP,AP, PAM
Icon9

I was about to buy the watch but the seller decided to change his mind. I’m thinking he’s holding them off for higher prices (he does have both blue and black versions for sale).
IS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2022, 12:27 PM   #9
tacotaco
"TRF" Member

I think they might go higher, but I didn’t buy for that reason. I think it’s such a handsome piece, and the dial with gif silver nano bead blasted with black sub dials with a chunky domed sapphire is such a cool vintage look
Old 31 May 2022, 03:09 PM   #10
ree7
"TRF" Member

Wearing mine with Forstner bracelet it's great
ree7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2022, 01:01 PM   #11
tacotaco
"TRF" Member

Mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FB3F651C-1380-4097-9365-12CB2BDAD248.jpeg (46.0 KB, 63 views)