The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 12 May 2022, 05:44 PM   #1
Julnog
"TRF" Member

Restoration project on Gold Jubilee bracelet - Feedback requested

Hello Rolex lovers,

As already mentioned in previous posts, I own a 1979 DJ 16018 which was offered to me by my father. It's a watch he's worn for 40 years but tastes change over the years, and I was lucky enough to have it as a gift.

If the watch works very well, the bracelet on the other hand has lived well and is weakened. Rolex offered me to return the strap and buy a new one instead for an exorbitant price, but I prefer to keep it even if it means putting on a leather strap.

So, I considered having my gold jubilee bracelet restored and I identified several things:
- 1/ The stretch and therefore changing the gold pins holding the links
- 2/ The hollow middle “D” links are worn
- 3/ Cracks on the clasp .

For point 1, I was thinking of entrusting the work to a good jeweler because I am not sure that the links are fixed by knurled pins as it is for a steel jubilee but that the gold pins are welded to the external links. Unless someone here can confirm otherwise?

For point 2, the middle D-links cannot be ordered from Rolex and my jeweler tells me that he cannot remanufacture them because there is a risk that the exact dimensions will not be respected. So, I thought I could buy a two tone H18 jubilee bracelet 20mm and use the 18k middle D-links. Is this a good solution in your opinion? Because honestly, I don’t see any others

For point 3, a weld made by a jeweler should suffice but I wonder if it is necessary first to analyze with a spectrometer the exact composition of the 18k rolex-gold because there is always a risk that the color of the 18k alloy used by another jeweler will not quite match.

Thank you in advance for your ideas and thoughts before I launch this project. And of course, I am interested in any feedback on a similar restoration on gold jubilee bracelet
Julnog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 07:40 PM   #2
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Since you live in France I suggest you sent it to Goldschmiede Beste in Winterberg Germany. Real experts in this field. They did two President bracelets for me.

Not cheap but very high quality job and super friendly people
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg JPEG image 23.jpeg (135.4 KB, 190 views)
Old 12 May 2022, 09:32 PM   #3
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
I sent my gold jubilee to Michael Young in Hong Kong. Cost me ~1900 inc two new links. The previous owner used his watch like a bangle, and the bracelet was...very well used, I would say extremely used. Michael Young made it new again. And I'm currently negotiating for a 1601/8 to wear it with!
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 08:43 PM   #4
seamasterlux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Since you live in France I suggest you sent it to Goldschmiede Beste in Winterberg Germany. Real experts in this field. They did two President bracelets for me.

Not cheap but very high quality job and super friendly people
Thank you for sharing the address. Looks amazing. I've got a Daytona Jubilee bracelet incoming in steel. If it's in poor condition, I might reach out to them, hoping they can also work with steel as well as with gold.
seamasterlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2022, 02:23 AM   #5
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

Are there any other people in the US who repair bracelets other than Rolleiworks?

Michael Young quoted me at least 6 months to fix a platinum bracelet saying he only has one person who knows how to work on platinum and they take an extremely long time.
Incroyable12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2022, 12:35 AM   #6
Watchcollectables
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julnog View Post
Hello Rolex lovers,

As already mentioned in previous posts, I own a 1979 DJ 16018 which was offered to me by my father. It's a watch he's worn for 40 years but tastes change over the years, and I was lucky enough to have it as a gift.

If the watch works very well, the bracelet on the other hand has lived well and is weakened. Rolex offered me to return the strap and buy a new one instead for an exorbitant price, but I prefer to keep it even if it means putting on a leather strap.

So, I considered having my gold jubilee bracelet restored and I identified several things:
- 1/ The stretch and therefore changing the gold pins holding the links
- 2/ The hollow middle “D” links are worn
- 3/ Cracks on the clasp .

For point 1, I was thinking of entrusting the work to a good jeweler because I am not sure that the links are fixed by knurled pins as it is for a steel jubilee but that the gold pins are welded to the external links. Unless someone here can confirm otherwise?

For point 2, the middle D-links cannot be ordered from Rolex and my jeweler tells me that he cannot remanufacture them because there is a risk that the exact dimensions will not be respected. So, I thought I could buy a two tone H18 jubilee bracelet 20mm and use the 18k middle D-links. Is this a good solution in your opinion? Because honestly, I don’t see any others

For point 3, a weld made by a jeweler should suffice but I wonder if it is necessary first to analyze with a spectrometer the exact composition of the 18k rolex-gold because there is always a risk that the color of the 18k alloy used by another jeweler will not quite match.

Thank you in advance for your ideas and thoughts before I launch this project. And of course, I am interested in any feedback on a similar restoration on gold jubilee bracelet

Hi I have sent you a PM
Watchcollectables is offline   Reply With Quote