The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 May 2022, 02:47 AM   #1
chris_1001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub & SD 43
SS Bracelet scratch question...

I own a 1998 Sub and Just got a SD 43.

I see soooo many watches with almost perfect bracelet clasps. Even on the older ones for sale.

My question is basically how do most people avoid getting scratches?

My SD 43 has some and it's only 2-3 weeks old. In a year I fully expect it to look more worn then some from a decade ago.

My Sub went in for service in 2008, and obviously is scratched up since (they polished it) as I wear it daily doing everything while wearing. it.

This is not a how do I keep mine from scratching post, it's a curiosity question. I know most wear these daily and do not pamper them.

Thx.
chris_1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 02:53 AM   #2
Cavester
"TRF" Member

Not sure you can. I have seen like a thin plastic coating you can apply, similar to a phone cover if that makes sense. However not sure how good it is or how often it needs replacing.

Mine was scratched after a few days of buying it brand new and was wounded for the first 5 minutes. Now it's an expensive wrist watch I wear daily, enjoy and don't worry about the scratches.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Cavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 03:04 AM   #3
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Nearly all dealers will have a watch polished before offering it for sale. Some do a great job, others not so much.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 03:06 AM   #4
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
A question for you....before you got a Rolex, were all your others watches scratched up?
Broken or torn bands?
Busted crystal or cracked?

I've had my share of damaged watches, done by my carelessness or by others or accidents!

So i learned to try and take care of them, but sometimes they get scratched, shit happens!

Just be more aware and just enjoy it your Rolex...mine has a few little scratches...and ive bumped my crystal a few more times than ive cared to say....but remember, it's just a watch, i love to look to see what the date and time is....Enjoy!
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 03:39 AM   #5
chris_1001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONZO2LR View Post
A question for you....before you got a Rolex, were all your others watches scratched up?
Broken or torn bands?
Busted crystal or cracked?

I've had my share of damaged watches, done by my carelessness or by others or accidents!

So i learned to try and take care of them, but sometimes they get scratched, shit happens!

Just be more aware and just enjoy it your Rolex...mine has a few little scratches...and ive bumped my crystal a few more times than ive cared to say....but remember, it's just a watch, i love to look to see what the date and time is....Enjoy!
Again, just a question.

I have a big scratch in the case of my Sub from a door. Still there.

It also was involved in a motorcycle accident where the bezel, crystal and some links got ground down (trying to find a pic, no luck) but I have a few posts here from that accident after it happened, had hoped to find a pic. But got it repaired (Ins. paid for that).

So its character lines, not scratches. lol.
Old 24 May 2022, 04:54 AM   #6
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_1001 View Post

I see soooo many watches with almost perfect bracelet clasps. Even on the older ones for sale.

My SD 43 has some and it's only 2-3 weeks old. In a year I fully expect it to look more worn then some from a decade ago.

My Sub went in for service in 2008, and obviously is scratched up since (they polished it) as I wear it daily doing everything while wearing. it.

This is not a how do I keep mine from scratching post, it's a curiosity question. I know most wear these daily and do not pamper them.

Thx.
You have yourself a tool watch, I would not get too worried about scratches. However they sell protective films online that do a nice job of preserving the finish.

Check on ebay or google search
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 05:12 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
You can't avoid getting scratches, especially those from just moving your wrist at the desk while on the computer.

But it easy to brush them out, which is what almost every watch for sale or photography has had done.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=111743
Old 24 May 2022, 05:22 AM   #8
JH419
"TRF" Member

If you are looking to get our watch refinished, might be worth it to look up Rollieworks, now based in Florida I believe or there is a guy based in PA something Zimmerman? who also does magic. They can pretty much make your worn watches look almost brand new. Replacement parts like bezel insert i'm not sure if they have spares laying around the shop. Worth a shot. Those are probably the two i'd suggest based in the East coast.
JH419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 05:31 AM   #9
LFFL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
You can't avoid getting scratches, especially those from just moving your wrist at the desk while on the computer.

But it easy to brush them out, which is what almost every watch for sale or photography has had done.

Thanks for the link, super informative!
LFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 05:44 AM   #10
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Any watch can be restored to full factory perfection if you want it to be.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 05:44 AM   #11
chris_1001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

I've done the wet scotch bright touchups quite a bit on the Sub. over the years. Works well.
Old 24 May 2022, 05:53 AM   #12
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
It’s a life issue unfortunately, if you use something it gets scratched, chipped, dented and the like, this applies to just about everything including ourselves.

Live with it, if you don’t want to get scratches on your watch then wrap it up leave it in the box and put it away somewhere, but what’s the point in that, you bought it to wear and enjoy and you will, scratches and all.

My wife wore her TT DJ to the Lake District a few years back, whilst out walking up a fell she reached up and the bit of wall she grabbed to steady herself wasn’t very solid and all she ended up doing was moving a piece of slate down onto her wrist and bang onto the side of the watch case, resulting in a large scratch on the case and fluted bezel. She loves it, the mark reminds her where it happened and she can tell the tale, will she get it taken out at service, I’m not sure she will.

Nothing remains pristine unless it isn’t touched or worn, wear your watches, wear them with pride and enjoy the life scars they pick up along the way.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 07:07 AM   #13
S.Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollie
Just being aware of what's on your wrist and not wearing jackets with coarse cuff material seems to work well. I also never rest my watch on a hard surface.
S.Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 07:34 AM   #14
1Daytona
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deep Sea Blue
For years I have been using a small piece of satin finish Scotch tape on the clasp of all my watches. I keep the Scotch tape in my safe with my watches and apply the tape after I put on the watch. At the end of the day, I peel the tape off when I put the watch back in the safe. My clasps look brand new and the tape is a cheap and easy solution to scratches.

Attached is picture of the tape and a 30 year old Omega Speedmaster with flawless clasp!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scotch Tape on Omega Bracelet.jpg (80.5 KB, 325 views)
1Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 08:18 AM   #15
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
The used ones you see for sale are (re)polished. For that matter, some of the new ones for sale are likely also cosmetically touched up from handling marks that may occur before they make it to the new owner.

In terms of prevention, there really is none as the stainless steel used on watches is a good bit softer than many of the things it makes contact with. That said, brushed finishes are pretty easy to manually touch up with the most minimal of tools if you want.

As I've noted previously, the ultimate mecca for scratch protection would be a ceramic coating similar to those used on cars, that have a minimal impact on aesthetic appearance, but add a layer that has meaningful and durable scratch protection that can last for years. I would not be shocked if such a product appeared on the watch market in the not-too-distant future (and also would not be shocked if ADs offered it as a 'premium service'.) There is prospectively a huge market for this sort of product, although the application would probably not be a DIY job. It would also make cleaning the watch much easier and it would further enhance corrosion resistance. (Downside is the watch wouldn't 'feel' the same, and I like the way the brushed stainless feels.)
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 12:19 PM   #16
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

I wear them and the scratches blend over time.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 02:10 PM   #17
underpar
Banned

"A ship in the harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for. "

Set sail...and don't tape your watch.
underpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 02:18 PM   #18
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Bergeon 2290 .Dark grey for brushed area scratches.Like magic!
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 07:47 PM   #19
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_1001 View Post

Thx.
Some people have more subconscious wrist awareness than others - its that simple.

My wife has none. Her watches clasps and bracelets look worse after 1 week than mine do after 5 years.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 09:09 PM   #20
Bustelo
"TRF" Member

Watch: maker in the US
Instead of green scotch Brite, opt for the 3M ultra fine sanding pads. They are gray scotch Brite style pads impregnated with finer grit. These are inexpensive and I'd compare them to Bergeon satin finish pads in terms of quality. Cut a small square off and work in straight same direction strokes. For stubborn scuffs you can rub harder back and forth, just return to straight same direction strokes at the end. A master trick for the ultimate satin finish is once you finish the brushing stage with the 3M ultra fine, you cut a square of cape cod and do 1-2 passes (do not overdo!). This creates a factory finish when done right and is how I brush oyster bracelets back to like-new.
Bustelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 01:55 AM   #21
chris_1001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustelo View Post
Instead of green scotch Brite, opt for the 3M ultra fine sanding pads. They are gray scotch Brite style pads impregnated with finer grit. These are inexpensive and I'd compare them to Bergeon satin finish pads in terms of quality. Cut a small square off and work in straight same direction strokes. For stubborn scuffs you can rub harder back and forth, just return to straight same direction strokes at the end. A master trick for the ultimate satin finish is once you finish the brushing stage with the 3M ultra fine, you cut a square of cape cod and do 1-2 passes (do not overdo!). This creates a factory finish when done right and is how I brush oyster bracelets back to like-new.
I actually use a green kitchen scotch bright W/sponge. After I sometimes use a bit of Simichrome polish then ultrasonically clean the bracelet. Works great.

I'll check out the Pad you mentioned

Like I said above, not too concerned with scratches, I use the above to touch up my Sub. Just getting some wear fast on my new SD.