The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 May 2022, 05:25 PM   #1
rand8086
"TRF" Member

Rolex AD got rid of waitlist

I went with my girlfriend to the Rolex AD where I happened to put my name on the waitlist circa 2017 for a GMT or Sub as a first watch, as she is looking for a DJ.

I long since gave up on ever hearing back, but asked out of curiosity as I was already there, if they could look up my name or phone number to see where I am currently on the list.

Was told without looking they no longer have a wait list and that I would need to buy some other watches first before I could buy one.

Apparently, Tourneau purchased this AD since my last visit and the waitlist was thrown into the trash bin.
rand8086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 05:30 PM   #2
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
2017 to 2022 and this is the first time you have been back to the store?

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 09:11 PM   #3
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Welcome to the forum.

There never was a waitlist
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 09:26 PM   #4
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

"We don't have wait lists" usually means "we don't intend to sell you a Rolex". I suspect that if you visited a few times a year, bought some stuff, got to know them a bit and established a rapport, the existence of a wait list might be revealed to you. Whether or not you would be put on it would remain to be seen.

My AD doesn't behave like this. We visit several times a year for purchases (usually nothing ultra expensive and often discounted) and have been doing so for over 20 years. This doesn't necessarily put us miles in front of a first time cold caller, but it counts for something.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 09:29 PM   #5
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
The day I have to form a disingenuous relationship with AN AD is the day I have sold my soul to however.
Moondoggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 09:31 PM   #6
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II Evr, SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggy View Post
The day I have to form a disingenuous relationship with AN AD is the day I have sold my soul to however.
911991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 09:32 PM   #7
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
LOL.

A few years ago I was in the AD buying some jewelry, and I mentioned the Pepsi wait list, asking how far up I had moved (I was in position #5 last I asked). He brings up a spreadsheet and looks at it and says, "oh".

Seems that they had redone the waitlist, and I fell off. Apparently the list name changed from "waiting for a Rolex" to "Our Favorite Whales".

And no, buying a few hundred dollars worth of jewelry annually apparently does not qualify me as a whale, more like a minnow.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 09:34 PM   #8
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand8086 View Post
I went with my girlfriend to the Rolex AD where I happened to put my name on the waitlist circa 2017 for a GMT or Sub as a first watch, as she is looking for a DJ.

I long since gave up on ever hearing back, but asked out of curiosity as I was already there, if they could look up my name or phone number to see where I am currently on the list.

Was told without looking they no longer have a wait list and that I would need to buy some other watches first before I could buy one.

Apparently, Tourneau purchased this AD since my last visit and the waitlist was thrown into the trash bin.
He told you to buy other jewelry/watches first before he could sell you a Rolex? I hope you told him where to shove it. If you buy into this strategy you might as well get ripped off at a grey dealer, you can have your watch tomorrow and not buy jewelry you will never wear.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 10:06 PM   #9
noshake
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Build a relationship means buy other stuff and you'll be considered. The list is imaginary.
noshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 10:09 PM   #10
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by noshake View Post
Build a relationship means buy other stuff and you'll be considered. The list is imaginary.
That is not a relationship it is a dictatorship.
Moondoggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 10:10 PM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
2017 to 2022 and this is the first time you have been back to the store?

Quote:
Welcome to the forum.

Have to agree.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 10:23 PM   #12
Nico81
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Your AD got rid of waitlist not Rolex

There is an official statement from Rolex ( posted here also somewhere ) that adressed shortage and saying that was not their strategy rather demand
Also they mentioned that AD control the distribution at their will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nico81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 10:31 PM   #13
1665fan
"TRF" Member

No waitlist……just a whale list…..
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 10:48 PM   #14
Frog7151
"TRF" Member

Watch: Looking
Shouldn't it be the other way around. You sell me the watch I want and I might buy jewelry, watches etc.. I need from you.

I am a newbie and have always admired Rolex, but when I read things like this they become less and less appealing.
Frog7151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 11:01 PM   #15
dlrolex
"TRF" Member

The AD should pay me to wear their watch
dlrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 11:09 PM   #16
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Sorry about your experience.
Old 24 May 2022, 11:17 PM   #17
ndane
"TRF" Member

I linked up with my AD about a month ago and got some stuff I had been wanting to get (Cartier for wife, replacement wedding band for self). Expressed interest in a few Rolex Models—particularly The Sky-dweller, Sub, and some OP models. Went in last Friday to get sized for the band, and my AD surprised me with a 126610LV. Wearing it rn. :)
ndane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 12:05 AM   #18
allen993
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This...
allen993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 12:12 AM   #19
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog7151 View Post
Shouldn't it be the other way around. You sell me the watch I want and I might buy jewelry, watches etc.. I need from you.

I am a newbie and have always admired Rolex, but when I read things like this they become less and less appealing.
sadly most of the high end luxury watch brands are doing this now.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 12:29 AM   #20
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
There is no waitlist and there never was.
There is no 'relationship', only the law of supply & demand. You are a wallet.

If you walk in with a briefcase full of money suddenly the safe will open and you'll see every current reference. Take your pick. (All the 'incoming' posters never say how much they spent before snagging that Daytona)

Commoners who expect to ask for a watch will be told "Oh it should be here in 6 months, check back." When you visit it will be "How about some jewelry for your wife, any special occasions coming up? And for you, have you considered Omega?"

Advice: Buy grey. Today. Tear off the bandaid and get back to enjoying life with that new watch.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 12:32 AM   #21
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
My experience with wait lists over the past few years is that they are basically "Lip Service" whereas several years ago they counted for something. Definitely a sign of the times.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 12:33 AM   #22
Pinchy
"TRF" Member

You really must not have given them much of an impression or really tried in 2017, a sub should have been very very easy if you followed up.
Pinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 12:33 AM   #23
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggy View Post
That is not a relationship it is a dictatorship.
Not really. No one is forcing anyone to buy anything.
Old 25 May 2022, 12:36 AM   #24
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchy View Post
tried in 2017, a sub should have been very very easy if you followed up.
Now you say it, yes. Unlikely you would walk out with one in 2017, but not unheard of. A four year wait since 2017? That is unlikely, unless the customer was forgotten for some reason, as soon as they left the shop.
Old 25 May 2022, 12:46 AM   #25
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Circa 2017 would be a used watch. There’s no “list” to get a pre owned time piece like that.
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 01:16 AM   #26
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Now you say it, yes. Unlikely you would walk out with one in 2017, but not unheard of. A four year wait since 2017? That is unlikely, unless the customer was forgotten for some reason, as soon as they left the shop.
Customer was certainly forgotten, that will also happen today. AD memory wiped clean as you walk out the door. There will be 30 other guys visiting that day all asking for the same thing, is the AD updating some spreadsheet to make sure they all maintain their rightful place in the list? Those little contact cards go straight in the trash.

I still visit ADs but it's mostly for entertainment, and a tiny glimmer of hope. If I'm out shopping anyway, why not stop by? Zero expectations however.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 02:10 AM   #27
temporarychicken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Customer was certainly forgotten, that will also happen today. AD memory wiped clean as you walk out the door. There will be 30 other guys visiting that day all asking for the same thing, is the AD updating some spreadsheet to make sure they all maintain their rightful place in the list? Those little contact cards go straight in the trash.

I still visit ADs but it's mostly for entertainment, and a tiny glimmer of hope. If I'm out shopping anyway, why not stop by? Zero expectations however.
+1

It's always worth popping in and having a chat. Picking up an actual wristwatch is highly unlikely, but you can receive a huge amount of interesting information.

And if the bubble ever pops, you'll be a face and you'll stand a chance.
temporarychicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 02:22 AM   #28
Golfbone
"TRF" Member

If you are on a "waitlist" in most cases it means that you will wait and wait because there really is no list. People who are important to the dealer are in their little black book and when they get a watch that person is looking for they call them.
Golfbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 02:31 AM   #29
temporarychicken
"TRF" Member

A year ago I was speaking to an AD seller in the shop and I proposed to him that a ten year waiting list isn't really a waiting list.

What was he going to do, phone somebody up a decade later? He actually agreed that this was a rather preposterous notion.

The chances of both the phone number and the purchase pot still existing aside, the prospective buyer could have already got the watch elsewhere, given up entirely, had 3 more children, divorced, remarried, retired, died, emigrated, got struck by a metorite etc.
temporarychicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 03:18 AM   #30
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
I was lucky as I am not a big money spender but worked with one store manager over the course of a decade or so, sent some business his way whenever someone asked, and stayed interested....and he got me my last piece which took a year, can't imagine what it is like now - sounds like you have to get extra lucky, or spend a fortune to get what you want.

Someone I know made a connection high up in a local chain and gets access to stuff, but without that I figure its near impossible.
Bozack90 is offline   Reply With Quote