The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 May 2022, 09:40 PM   #61
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvelynWaugh View Post
Im a poor man because I buy Rolex
"Isn't Evelyn a woman's name?"

"No, it's my name actually."

LOL, bonus points to the first person to correctly identify the movie and the actor that said that line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
But please, don’t try to compare them to Rolex.
LOL, and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0d View Post
I think it's a nice watch but to expensive for what it is.
Yeah, keep drinking that cool-aid guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam84 View Post
Anyway back on topic, I actually prefer the BB58 to the current sub. More retro sizing and smaller case means it’s perfect for my smaller wrists
Ditto. I also preferred the more matte finish (including the bezel) to the many polished surfaces on the Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
My BB58 blue is every bit as well finished and just as good quality as my SD43. Better in some regards (ceramic "bearings" inn the clasp for example) The only "improvement" the six digit Rolex has is the ceramic bezel.

Rolex is a fantastic brand that makes great products but lets not get carried away here.

I enjoyed my BB58 and even got over that snowflake. I will admit though that the sub bracelet is a bit more comfortable, at least for me and my hairy wrists.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 10:36 PM   #62
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Here’s a controversial statement. I never particularly cared for the Mercedes hand. While I’ve never personally owned one, I think the snowflake hand looks better, and I think the old snowflakes are the best looking dive watches from either brand.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 12:57 AM   #63
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
Casio Duro. Less than $50 and WR 200m
but true. I paid a lot more than $50 for what is my new beater watch.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 04:16 AM   #64
Nap
Banned

Watch: 116710BLNR,116520.
Congratulations, It's a beautiful time piece.
Nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 04:19 AM   #65
Vesper Lynd
Banned

The headline is worthy of an English tabloid.
Vesper Lynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 06:14 AM   #66
5thLegion
"TRF" Member

Yes, I still desire a modern Sub, but I am a big fan of the BB58.

In all seriousness, given a choice between a modern BB58 and a vintage Sub, the BB58 has all of the charm and none of the drawbacks, plus a 70 hr power reserve. It's also 1/3 the price.

Let's say the BB is 3/4 the watch of a modern Sub, still, it's both impressive at its price point AND ACTUALLY AVAILABLE without AD drama.

Sometimes I wonder if this Sub never comes through, will I really miss it?

BB58 = the "smart man's Sub"
5thLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 06:18 AM   #67
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Congrats.
Old 25 May 2022, 07:28 AM   #68
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thLegion View Post
Yes, I still desire a modern Sub, but I am a big fan of the BB58.

In all seriousness, given a choice between a modern BB58 and a vintage Sub, the BB58 has all of the charm and none of the drawbacks, plus a 70 hr power reserve. It's also 1/3 the price.

Let's say the BB is 3/4 the watch of a modern Sub, still, it's both impressive at its price point AND ACTUALLY AVAILABLE without AD drama.

Sometimes I wonder if this Sub never comes through, will I really miss it?

BB58 = the "smart man's Sub"
You never know. I had a Sub for a while but eventually ended up flipping it. You may find your prefer the BB 58.

In terms of vintage, that's a whole different situation. New Porsche 911s are kinda like old Porsche 911s, and they also perform astronomically better, but they aren't really the same.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 08:30 AM   #69
5thLegion
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
You never know. I had a Sub for a while but eventually ended up flipping it. You may find your prefer the BB 58.

In terms of vintage, that's a whole different situation. New Porsche 911s are kinda like old Porsche 911s, and they also perform astronomically better, but they aren't really the same.
I have been concerned about this very thing, and for that reason I might go with an Explorer I instead. I did try on the Sub right next to my 58 at the AD. I liked the Sub, but I do think I could be happy wearing a 58 in the long term.
5thLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 10:34 AM   #70
Carondelet
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, 116900
Just picked up a BB58, I like the proportions a lot. I have a 7in wrist and the 39mm case is a good fit for me. I'm a bit biased about the snowflake hands because I've always loved them, and I'm really excited to finally be able to own a watch with them.

There's something about the BB58 that just makes it so appealing to me when compared to Rolex. I get a sense of approachability, or welcoming. Yes, my CHNR is better finished, and so elegant, but this Tudor has just got it where it counts. To me it really feels like it is its own watch, it's own brand, and not just another 'cheaper version' of a Rolex.

I do get a sense of enjoyment out of calling it a 'poor man's Rolex' though, it's very tongue-in-cheek. It's almost like, if you own a Tudor, you know what's really going on ;)
Old 25 May 2022, 11:16 AM   #71
Greglaw
Banned

Yawn as far as these references to Tudor being inferior or “poor man’s Rolex” people need new material. We get it, Rolex owners are superior as are their watches.
Greglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2022, 09:47 PM   #72
Innocenti
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0d View Post
I think it's a nice watch but to expensive for what it is. It's only value is in the fact that's it's a submariner homage while being related to Rolex.
I guess it’s subjective. For me Tudor is a more appealing brand and the blackbay is a more attractive watch
Innocenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2022, 03:00 AM   #73
Daytona88
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5712
I find the black dial BB58 more interesting than a sub.
Daytona88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2022, 03:03 AM   #74
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Congrats on the addition! I won't say it's a poor man's sub. The watch is not "cheap" by any means and nowadays most buy it because its specifically a nice Tudor not because it's like a Rolex.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2022, 04:25 AM   #75
Juan_B
Banned

congratulations!
Juan_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2022, 05:17 AM   #76
marmite2005
"TRF" Member

Watch: Slim wrist master
This is a poor man's sub, Seiko 7S28-0050 from early 2000's. Fantastic watch actually.

Congrats on yours!!!

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
marmite2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2022, 05:33 AM   #77
Shadow Play
"TRF" Member

Great choice OP. I have the original BB58 and I have to say it gets equal wrist time as my 124060. Both are extremely comfortable to wear. £ for £ I just don’t think you can beat the BB58.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8B5E3A54-178E-432A-8B7C-2F7F90A3A047.jpeg (88.8 KB, 80 views)
Shadow Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2022, 05:40 AM   #78
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona View Post
You're right. In some instances, Tudor outperforms Rolex so not a fair comparision.
Shots fired!
Old 27 May 2022, 08:24 AM   #79
NorCalKid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Ok then, straight out of Hans' mouth: 'Affordable'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Wilsdorf

Tudor IS a poor man's Rolex. There's no doubt about it and no reason to get upset either.

These days we talk about cities getting "Affordable Housing." Everyone knows what that means. Are the people living there literally poor? Around here that still means 500k.

I have a Tudor and I may well get another one some time (eg. a vintage Sub.) They make some nice watches. If they would just ditch the riveted bracelet and stop putting the Snowflake hand on everything they'd become a whole lot more attractive. The designs are deliberately sabotaged in order to avoid encroaching on Rolex territory.

Their modern movements are amazing, you get a lot of watch for the money. But the quality of the movement is cold comfort if it means I'll be stuck staring at some faux rivets all day long.
I also think there are a lot of people that just aren't willing to play the games to get a Rolex in the current market. I mean it's just a watch and Tudor, Omega, etc make very nice watches without all the BS associated with buying a Rolex. Unwilling to play AD games or buy at a grey market premium isn't really an indication of ability.

Take your kid to an AD before graduation or a wedding and you'll get laughed at if looking to buy a Rolex. Why not avoid all the hassle and buy a Tudor.

I love my old ETA BB with the rose, happy face, no rivets and thinner case. I do wish it had a Rolex slide lock on the bracelet though.
IMG_20220421_161702 by Norcalkid, on Flickr
NorCalKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2022, 09:27 AM   #80
Purple Hayz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16753
Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoNeal View Post
Shots fired!
He might have been referring to movements. Ceteris Paribus, very little daylight there. Can't think of anything else Tudor does well that Rolex doesn't do incrementally better, however.
Purple Hayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2022, 10:13 AM   #81
Innocenti
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Hayz View Post
He might have been referring to movements. Ceteris Paribus, very little daylight there. Can't think of anything else Tudor does well that Rolex doesn't do incrementally better, however.
1) customer service
2) value for money
3) vintage / retro / unusual styling
4) strap / bracelet options
5) availability
6) case material choice

Just off the top of my head , probably more.
Innocenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2022, 10:23 AM   #82
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
I've always liked that watch but there is nothing "poor mans" about a 4K watch. That's an eyewatering figure for 95% of the population.

That being said a few years ago when these were 4K and used 5 digit subs were ~6K it was easy to make the jump to a Rolex. Now that 5 digit is 3x the cost of a 58 the value proposition is really there. And it's a still a great watch in it's own right.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2022, 10:24 AM   #83
Euge
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Watches
Got a Sub, but the greatest poor man’s sub in my collection has to be this one…always puts a smile on my face

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Euge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2022, 11:18 AM   #84
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Cheers all. Cool watches to those who posted pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona View Post
You're right. In some instances, Tudor outperforms Rolex so not a fair comparision.
On that note, my Sub is +1 spd, it was consistently -1 spd for the first few months I had it, this Tudor is around +1 seconds over three days. Very happy with both so far.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote