The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 May 2022, 05:30 PM   #31
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbadon8 View Post
Putting aside incoming posts, where mint looking watches are expected, almost every watch appears almost mint in various threads such as the recurring “what are you wearing” or “what’s your daily.”

Looking through some past threads, people show their daily but it has no scratches or dings.

Is it that cameras are not picking up wear? People using pictures that don’t show flaws? Are people posting old photos? Lying about dailying? Polishing constantly?
Arm in bubble wrap?

The only time I see scratches is when someone is asking how to fix them.

What’s the deal? Let’s see some watches that look like they’ve been worn.
Mainly because in general they get a very very pampered life,and they worry and fret about the slightest little mark or scratch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 06:10 PM   #32
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Putting aside incoming posts, where mint looking watches are expected, almost every watch appears almost mint in various threads such as the recurring “what are you wearing” or “what’s your daily.”

Looking through some past threads, people show their daily but it has no scratches or dings.

Is it that cameras are not picking up wear? People using pictures that don’t show flaws? Are people posting old photos? Lying about dailying? Polishing constantly?
Arm in bubble wrap?

Instead of whining show me your used watch?

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 06:25 PM   #33
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Go to the vintage section. A lot of watches look like they have been run over by a truck.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 06:26 PM   #34
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Well unless you have a dent in your watch, the millions of hairline scratches are not really visible without looking up close at your watch.,
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 06:32 PM   #35
Tzachi
2024 Pledge Member

Here's a worn one..

Seen day and nights, water and air
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DAYT.jpg (280.0 KB, 287 views)
Tzachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 06:43 PM   #36
planteria
"TRF" Member

it's a good question, and there's no clear answer. certainly my Milgauss, which was my only watch for years, has plenty of 'wear' on it. but it still makes a dashing portrait when required, in my biased opinion. the key really is to look after our watches, whilst wearing and enjoying them.
planteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 07:25 PM   #37
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

These are the only watches I post pictures of unless I'm showing a new incoming.

A Rolex can take wear and tear.

Photos don't tend to show up routine flaws unless the lighting/focus/composition is adjusted to pick them up. This is why it is not necessary to baby a watch. Your brain doesn't zero in on scuffs and scratches unless you tell it to. So they may as well not be there.

My bracelets and clasps have all picked up scratches, particularly the clasps, but I wear the dial facing upwards never see the clasp.

I'm not going to bash my watch with a hammer for you. If you'd like to bash yours with a hammer and post some photos I'd like to see them.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 07:45 PM   #38
Dabbadon8
"TRF" Member

To answer my own question. I think part of it is the pictures. In the above you can’t see the small ding on the corner tip of the lower right lug or the scuffed clasp from working at a desk.

Part of it is people posting old pics of the watch as new.

I think another part of it is people pampering their watches, including polishing at home, etc. I don’t abuse my watches, but I don’t wash them and pat them down with a microfiber cloth either. If they get scratches or dings, they will get taken care of at service or at Rolliworks (which is walking distance from where I live). No judgment, but I bought my watches to wear and having to be constantly vigilant to avoid wear and tear makes the experience less enjoyable. If I’m going to the gym or doing something that might damage the watch I’ll take it off. But even at a desk job, scratches and dings will happen if you wear something enough.

It also depends on the watch. My Sub gets put in the line of fire more often than my platinum dress watch.

Anyways, interested to hear more replies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 Submariner Date Ref. 126610LN
2021 GMT Master-II Ref. 126710BLRO-0001
Dabbadon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 08:07 PM   #39
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Um….I don’t put my watches in pampers. I wear them and if they get dents/dings/scratches then “meh”. They’re watches, not infants.

airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 08:33 PM   #40
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
All that work and then you rest the watches metal on metal?
You caught me, my secret is out, a little thin eyeglass cleaner cloth under each one. I’m way to anal to put metal on metal. I even use those cloths to hold the watch while I set them to wear.

I might add, my watches are not safe queens, I’m just careful. I wear the watches everyday but I am retired now since the early 2000s and other than the gym 3 days a week (I don’t wear them there) and walking 4 to 6 miles everyday, I don’t play sports or go to an office. Their use is very light.
Old 24 May 2022, 09:19 PM   #41
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
When I post a picture it is usually the best picture I have of that watch and the picture could be years old.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 09:25 PM   #42
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Mine almost always look “mint” because I keep them very clean. It doesn’t mean they’re not scratched though as that can’t be helped.

It’s the same with any car I’ve owned. I use them but keep them as immaculate as I can.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 09:34 PM   #43
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I've found a photo showing a scratch. Two in fact.

Oh the relief!
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 10:22 PM   #44
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
In general you don’t see minor scratches or dings from a foot or two away
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 10:31 PM   #45
htrap2294
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlippe View Post

Not all are mint, this what happens when you drop it on a marble floor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice marble effect, what dial is that?

Old 24 May 2022, 10:44 PM   #46
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

How about a little drywall from the room remodel I’ve been working on?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E38DCD29-A51E-4626-9324-F2CA5C9E3E38.jpeg (154.8 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpeg 82292E8C-737B-42C9-AF11-FB4B65719BAA.jpeg (148.6 KB, 234 views)
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 11:21 PM   #47
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

How's this? Took a tumble, put my arm out to save my fall and added some nice "character" to my bracelet. If it doesn't come out next service with a polish I can always buy new links... and at least it's "mine" now :)

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk
Old 25 May 2022, 12:38 AM   #48
Norbert
"TRF" Member

The same reason I wash and wax my cars. Or wash my cloths. Or polish my shoes.
Norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 12:44 AM   #49
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
From a couple years ago

samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 12:56 AM   #50
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Arm in bubble wrap?

I tend to take photos of my watch when new (honeymoon phase?) so they always look the best.

Also many members here rotate watches, so they get less wear on them. not to mention if you get the standard wristshot, you are seeing a part of the watch that does not get too much damage (top of the case, crystal) and the most of the wear goes onto the clasp, which people do not post on the daily wruw threads.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 01:02 AM   #51
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzachi View Post
Seen day and nights, water and air
You should clean the dirt at the end of the bracelet before it won't come off (easily).
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 01:11 AM   #52
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Mainly because in general they get a very very pampered life,and they worry and fret about the slightest little mark or scratch.
I don’t pamper anything and if I get a scratch or mark, I don’t “fret”. If you succeed in life and came from very little, maybe you tend to appreciate things more? Not sure but I like things that look new and especially when they are not new.
Old 25 May 2022, 01:12 AM   #53
Spoonage

None of my watches are mint. LOL.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 01:34 AM   #54
kegan
"TRF" Member

Here you go hardly a moments rest in 22 years

kegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 02:24 AM   #55
MHB
"TRF" Member

Watch: VTNR, 214270, FXD
But remember they’re tool watches. I personally make sure my hammers and screwdrivers get the spa treatment after every use.
MHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 02:25 AM   #56
omar10213245

Watch: Hulkerino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlippe View Post

Not all are mint, this what happens when you drop it on a marble floor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ooooh, that must be that new meteorite crystal i keep hearing about, wear it in good health, sir!
omar10213245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 02:27 AM   #57
flyboyyy
"TRF" Member

I don't have a picture, but perhaps can try to describe my old GMT that I had serviced last year (after a decade+ of daily wear).

I had somehow managed to get a visible and noticeable divot IN the crystal (I have no idea how I managed to carve out part of the crystal without entirely breaking it). The little fold-over clasp lock was broke on one side. The Bezel would no longer rotate at all and was stuck. The crown was bent so severely it would no longer function. The bracelet had a pretty bad gouge in one link and the pin was bent in it.

Scratches and dings everywhere. Took it to the RSC which politely noted it was one of the more "worn" ones they'd seen, but they were also happy to see it being worn and enjoyed. They rebuilt the thing, replaced all the bad parts and per my instructions didn't polish away all the dings...they just "cleaned up the bracelet a bit" (left the lugs and case alone for the most part). To me, it's almost good as new.

I'm still wearing that watch almost daily. These things were meant to be worn, and they can take a whole pile of use. For me, it was a very long hard road of saving and waiting to buy the thing to begin with, and it still brings me great pleasure to wear it.
flyboyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 03:18 AM   #58
prnceofpersia23

Watch: 116500LN
Another factor is how new a lot of collectors watches are. Collections are changing more often than ever, especially in our current environment. Just look at the daily incoming posts. I'd imagine most members on this forum have at least one watch that's less than a year old.
prnceofpersia23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 04:07 AM   #59
TimeLord2

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Check out the vintage section, here is the last page The Gratuitous "Every Day is Vintage Day" Photo Thread https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...31580&page=865
it's on page 865 now.

Here is a watch my Dad bought new and gave to me for graduation. He wore the crap out of it and so did I for 30+ years. I have only ever had two watches until this year. The first image before the service and re-build on the bracelet. Now as Padi would say it's just regarded as $$$$. And he would be right, IMO. Although, I will never realize anything from this watch as the sentimental value far exceeds the monetary value.

Besides, most of the watches in the general section are fairly new and "incoming". I recently had Phillip Ridley service the watch but it still has all the dents and dings. I may have it professionally polished at some point, or not. It's so old nobody even recognizes it's a Rolex. Whatever I do to it will truly just be for me. I think it cleaned up nicely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Watch_18_6s.jpg (195.1 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5993_s.jpg (179.9 KB, 159 views)
TimeLord2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 04:15 AM   #60
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post
Check out the vintage section, here is the last page The Gratuitous "Every Day is Vintage Day" Photo Thread https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...31580&page=865
it's on page 865 now.

Here is a watch my Dad bought new and gave to me for graduation. He wore the crap out of it and so did I for 30+ years. I have only ever had two watches until this year. The first image before the service and re-build on the bracelet. Now as Padi would say it's just regarded as $$$$. And he would be right, IMO. Although, I will never realize anything from this watch as the sentimental value far exceeds the monetary value.

Besides, most of the watches in the general section are fairly new and "incoming". I recently had Phillip Ridley service the watch but it still has all the dents and dings. I may have it professionally polished at some point, or not. It's so old nobody even recognizes it's a Rolex. Whatever I do to it will truly just be for me. I think it cleaned up nicely.
That watch is priceless in so many ways. If I owned it I’d never take it off.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote