The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 9 January 2020, 04:33 PM   #121
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabaiguan View Post
Swatch isn’t a family trust like Rolex. They’ll want to maximize profit. There will be plenty of 321’s to go around.
To be honest, I fail to understand the Family Trust argument.

People who are working for Rolex - in particular the management team - are dedicated to raise as many profits as they can and are getting paid accordingly (boni, sales targets).
They are not working pro bono for the trust.

The only difference may be that a family trust may make better long term decisions compared to a „normal“ company.

Btt, The „hand made“ movements are just that because the 321 movement is not made in numbers that justify the setup of an appropriate machine park.
And the finishing has nothing to do with „hand made“, so it does not really make a difference if the movements are handmade or not.

It doesn‘t for the rest of the Omega range.
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 04:34 PM   #122
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Rolex definitely cares about maximizing profits, profit margins, and long term profitability based on reputation and brand recognition.

If they didn't, they'd make enough SS Daytonas to meet the demand.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 09:54 PM   #123
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMarcus View Post
You do know it’s much less accurate than the 4130 in the Daytona and less water resistant. And that’s a better movement and watch you say. I respectfully disagree. Even haters will acknowledge the 4130 is by far the best chronograph watch out there on the market. And I love my Speedy Moonwatch.

Yes, as I mentioned in my first post, water resistance goes to the Daytona. My current speedy and now wife’s Daytona are both about +3 to 4, and the jury is still out on the new 321. But we can all agree the purpose of a watch is to tell the time easily and accurately and that’s where they Daytona has failed me. It failed me in the field in my work because it lacked enough hash marks to be read accurately. What is a $13,000 watch that does not serve its function, well in my estimation simply pretty jewelry and that’s why I gave it to my wife.

I don’t know why the Daytona gets a pass on legibility but people hammered the black bay chrono because the snow flake hand obscured the subdial somewhat. The Daytona used to have enough hash marks in the 70’s and 80’s but changed their style. For me I’m not timing stakes, I need the watch to work, that’s it. Once a 13k watch let’s you down, it’s a paper weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 03:43 AM   #124
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Price confirmed at $14,494 here in the UAE. Delivery expected in March. Big big money
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 08:52 AM   #125
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Fauxtina.

Gross.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 09:07 AM   #126
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Nice watch but it’s too expensive.

Omega should tread carefully. They’re killing themselves with prices like this.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 09:14 AM   #127
Ssunnylee24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
Not for that amount!
Ssunnylee24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 10:29 AM   #128
Trog
Banned

I can't believe I'm doing this, but heading to the AD this weekend to plonk down a deposit.
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 12:13 PM   #129
mclain777
"TRF" Member

Me too. Tomorrow is not guaranteed. If you haven't done well in the current, extended Bull Market, something's wrong. Enjoy life, I love the Speedmaster, how could I not buy this Ed White?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
mclain777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 12:55 PM   #130
pepsiretail
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trog View Post
I can't believe I'm doing this, but heading to the AD this weekend to plonk down a deposit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclain777 View Post
Me too. Tomorrow is not guaranteed. If you haven't done well in the current, extended Bull Market, something's wrong. Enjoy life, I love the Speedmaster, how could I not buy this Ed White?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
You two guys are are pushing me to the edge on this
pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 01:29 PM   #131
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I stopped into my local OB last night to chat. The SA I asked about the 321 said they’d been told to expect 500ish for the US in the first year. Not a limited edition but limited to how many the special team can pump out.
She also mentioned that they would give their VIP buyers first chance at them but hoped to get enough so that everyone who wanted one of them from their store would get one.
I like the look but I’m also in the WTF the price bunch. $10K would have been a much smarter pricepoint I think.
ArtNouveau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 02:51 PM   #132
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Was offered one a week or so ago from my AD and had to pass. Work around magnets and electronics a lot, plus am still waiting on the white SS Daytona. In addition, just a month or so ago did get the 50th SS Speedy Buzz Butt.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 03:49 PM   #133
Robbyman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Pepsi/Sub
My guess is that you will not be able to get these once the first supply is sent out. I think Omega are trying to do ‘a Rolex’ in limiting supply and driving demand.

This will give the brand a boost and there are many other Speedies for sale is anyone cannot wait.
Robbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 05:49 PM   #134
Muck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbyman View Post
My guess is that you will not be able to get these once the first supply is sent out. I think Omega are trying to do ‘a Rolex’ in limiting supply and driving demand.
From the intelligence I’ve gathered from the ob’s is that anyone who wants one will get one.
How long you wait for one will be at the mercy of omega.
Muck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 01:01 AM   #135
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by yessir69 View Post
Fauxtina.

Gross.
Yep. Ruins it for me. Omega consistently shows terrible taste.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 01:42 AM   #136
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
I caved. On list as well.
Old 11 January 2020, 09:52 AM   #137
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

I put my deposit down. 100 for the states is confirmed. Spread through 33 boutiques, that's not a lot per boutique. Put down half of the price for deposit with my boutique, looking forward to this. LOVE the "AMG" ness of production and its BANG on aesthetic. And tbh, this doesn't really hit fauxtina like the others. this is really lightly shaded, and a great, great piece. I have NO doubt these will be sold out...talk about more character than a modern daytona to boot...
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 10:06 AM   #138
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
My OB is also saying 100 for USA this year.

Old 12 January 2020, 12:12 AM   #139
stevenyoo
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT rootbeer
I love the 3861 of the 50th anniversary, but the vintage look of the Ed White got me.

I'm on the list.
stevenyoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 07:27 AM   #140
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
My thoughts are it's a very attractive watch, sized to closely match the "Reduced" version, (whose styling I have never been fold of) with a wonderful display back, a great, but not superlative movement and a very nice bracelet. I prefer protected pushers because I'm often in a rougher outdoor environment.

I agree with most comments regarding the Speedy vs Daytona though. The 4030 and 4130 movements are superior to the 321, along with the water resistance. Comparisons regarding legibility vs. blingy jewelry (Daytona) are spot-on, with my preference clearly in favor of the Speedy. All considered, it IS OVERPRICED. People will still pay the price. I will not buy one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 chronos.jpg (178.9 KB, 279 views)
Old 12 January 2020, 07:43 AM   #141
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
You do know it’s much less accurate than the 4130 in the Daytona and less water resistant. And that’s a better movement and watch you say. I respectfully disagree. Even haters will acknowledge the 4130 is by far the best chronograph watch out there on the market. And I love my Speedy Moonwatch.
Daytona... how good can it be if you can’t read it?

Owned 3, none remain.
Old 12 January 2020, 08:37 AM   #142
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Come on....this is total conjecture! If you like it better, that’s fine, but calling the Daytona the best chronograph on the market is silly. What makes it the best, because it is in high demand and Paul Newman wore one? You could buy a Longines column wheel chronograph for about 10 cents on the dollar that would function as good as the Daytona.
This Omega is grossly overpriced (but I like it), and so is the Daytona ( I like it also).
Old 12 January 2020, 09:04 AM   #143
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
What margin of inaccuracy would be meaningful/measurable while using the 60 second timing bezel?
Old 12 January 2020, 09:36 AM   #144
AlTinkster92
"TRF" Member

Yep, what Sandpit said...…..
AlTinkster92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 09:50 AM   #145
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

It will be interesting to see how disciplined Omega is during a market downturn, will they suddenly start discounting or will they stick by their guns and keep the model exclusive? As long as they can maintain secondary market prices, they will succeed IMO. Just look like white dial snoopy.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 10:22 AM   #146
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Daytona is inferior in every possible way to this watch. It’s not close. Daytona famous for association with the salad dressing guy, speedy, well saved Apollo 13. Speedy, legible and can be read, yes, Daytona not so much. Daytona excessively shiny, speedy still a tool watch. Daytona excellent movement, speedy 321 legendary movement. The only way the Daytona wins is in water resistance. The production will likely be about equal or perhaps less with the 321.
Water resistance and accuracy. That tool watch business goes out the window, no one will be buying a $14k watch to work a sanitation job or work a jack hammer on their construction job. Tool watch, the most over rated term applied to expensive luxury watches everyone ironically worries about scratching and wearing to xyz country.
And no one is timing any fuel burns with their cool moon chrono, most wear it just because.
Yes the Omega went to the moon with the 321 but the 4130 in the Daytona is no slouch and is also a very accurate, robust and 72hour power reserve movement.
Looks are subjective. To me the Daytona looks way better
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Yep, seriously. I’m no Daytona hater either owned two, unloaded 2. For my money it’s the 4th best chrono behind the speedy, navitimer, and elpremiero.

I’ll give you the Speedy in this configuration is a great watch, but the other two, not even close in a what would you buy contest. For one they are mostly unattractive to the majority of people.

The only area the Daytona loses is availability. Having both these on the table at these price points, Daytona all day.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 10:33 AM   #147
Trog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Daytona... how good can it be if you can’t read it?

Owned 3, none remain.

Same...owned 2, none remain.
Old 12 January 2020, 11:15 AM   #148
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Love the look, the bracelet, and the movement. At that price, I’ll keep my vintage 321
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 11:19 AM   #149
pepsiretail
Banned

What attracts me to this piece is the separate manufacture.

A new model that is made separately at an artisan level. At least, that is what I'm hoping for. A bespoke style Speedmaster.

It seems clear the movement is to be made by one watchmaker but I assume the rest will also be done to a higher, more hand involved, standard. It bet this watch will handle and show at a different level.
pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 12:13 PM   #150
Trog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsiretail View Post
What attracts me to this piece is the separate manufacture.

A new model that is made separately at an artisan level. At least, that is what I'm hoping for. A bespoke style Speedmaster.

It seems clear the movement is to be made by one watchmaker but I assume the rest will also be done to a higher, more hand involved, standard. It bet this watch will handle and show at a different level.

I agree, it's an attractive concept. It would be equally nice if the watchmaker engraved his initials onto the movement. That would be an exceptional personal touch.