The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 27 August 2021, 01:55 PM   #31
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
I don't think the RSC would accept these for service due to their age.
Really? I figured they’d service a 1979 watch, not that I’d sent it there.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2022, 06:14 AM   #32
johnjm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
Really? I figured they’d service a 1979 watch, not that I’d sent it there.
They don’t service the Rolex branded Tudor watches. I’ve tried. They say no parts, but the truth is that they don’t want to put original Rolex caseback, bezels or crowns on a Tudor.
Old 19 March 2022, 12:42 PM   #33
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm View Post
They don’t service the Rolex branded Tudor watches. I’ve tried. They say no parts, but the truth is that they don’t want to put original Rolex caseback, bezels or crowns on a Tudor.
Same here. My RSC declined to service my 1979 Tudor Snowflake. So I just took it somewhere else.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 05:21 AM   #34
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Well, that's certainly not cheap for that watch IMO, and someone who charges that much and claims to be "certified" would typically return any replaced parts and would often provide some details about any repairs that were made.

In any case, I suspect that she would be happy to regulate the watch so that the average rate is more accurate if you tell her that it is typically running -10s/day under your normal use. I wouldn't expect a big improvement in the positional variation, however.
Just a little update from this whole thing. Some more recent reviews of this shop online showed similar situations to mine, and a local dealer said they'd been getting complaints, too. So, rather than risk giving the watch back to this lousy shop, I sent it off to a legit place, and today I've found out that the watch still needs a new mainspring, wheel (can't remember which,) crown tube, crown, crystal, and there doesn't appear to be much of anything done to it.

Looks like I've learned an $800 lesson. Debating on whether to even contact the lousy shop. Either way, stay away from Pearl Watch Repair in Portland:

https://www.pearlwatchrepair.com
Old 19 May 2022, 05:31 AM   #35
Ascari_2
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks. I’ve been charting it with a phone app, and I also threw it on my timegrapher. All of my Rolex watches have been less than 20 years old, so just wanted to make sure I didn’t have expectations that were too high for an older movement.
What amplitude are you getting? (never mind, scrolled further and saw your pictures).

The amplitude isn't bad for a vintage piece. Seems like the watchmaker just forgot to regulate it. Another possibility is that he regulated it before final assembly and as he was putting the final touches on it he bumped the regulator causing the deviation. Still odd since when I service watches I always track their time on/off the winder for at least a few days before being satisfied. But that would be my guess as to what happened.

Would be curious to know which wheel the new watchmaker is replacing.
Old 19 May 2022, 10:43 AM   #36
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascari_2 View Post
What amplitude are you getting? (never mind, scrolled further and saw your pictures).

The amplitude isn't bad for a vintage piece. Seems like the watchmaker just forgot to regulate it. Another possibility is that he regulated it before final assembly and as he was putting the final touches on it he bumped the regulator causing the deviation. Still odd since when I service watches I always track their time on/off the winder for at least a few days before being satisfied. But that would be my guess as to what happened.

Would be curious to know which wheel the new watchmaker is replacing.
It was just the automatic reversing wheel. I know I mentioned the mainspring above, but now I'm starting to question whether they told me mainspring or balance spring over the phone. I'll have to wait until I get the invoice to check.
Old 19 May 2022, 10:45 AM   #37
Ascari_2
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It was just the automatic reversing wheel.
Those have a tendency to go bad.
Old 18 July 2022, 01:36 PM   #38
Lol-x
Facilitator

I have a Tudor Snowflake with the ETA 2584 movement.
On the timegrapher its showing +1-3 seconds per day with 0.4ms beat error (54deg lift angle) and 267 deg amplitude.

I think your watch going by the timegrapher results can do much better with proper regulation.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote