The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 13 March 2022, 09:17 AM   #1
Jerrocop
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 39, SeaQ
It’s great to be treated like a customer again, my journey to a great watch

E91CCE8D-F394-4F28-8218-E631C84ADCA6.jpeg
I thought I'd share my experience and journey to this recent purchase. Like most, it all started by seeing a watch on TRF that caught my eye a few years ago and wanting to learn more about the brand, but I'll back up even further than that. I'll admit that I can be a poser and I'm often drawn to popular brands, but I'm also passionate about brands I can identify with, that emulate what I want to be or who I think I am. Brands like Vibram, Patagonia, or Black Diamond meant quality and outdoor lifestyle in my early adulthood and I loved how back then no one really knew about them, they weren't flashy or ostentatious, but those who knew them were kindred spirits.
At about that same time my great uncle had purchased a Rolex Day-Date right before his retirement. I learned from him the quality of a Swiss watch and why the cost was a value worth the pursuit, should I ever be able to afford one. He started me on my journey of mechanical watches, but it took several years before I started to acquire any. College and starting out in life took precedence.
Ebay in the mid and late 90's was a great place to find all sorts of vintage watches at great prices. I had purchased a book at the local bookseller that listed the value of most vintage watches and I used that book to identify the price ranges and what I was interested in. Over the next several years I found some great watches, a Breitling 3 hand, LeCoultre Powermatic (loved the bumper movement), Wakmann Triple Date (still love this one), and a Rolex Bubble Back, all from Ebay. I then started looking at Rolex and really fell in love with the Explorer but it was the early 2000's and I had recently gotten married and other pursuits led us towards putting our money elsewhere. Though, as the years passed I never really put away the thought of that Explorer but I did put my watches away, except for the Wakmann.
Forward to 2016 and I was back in hot pursuit for that Explorer, or the current version of it. I learned a lot then, mostly that watches weren't as easy to get as when I last acquired one, and that everyone wanted a Rolex. I had to wait several months to get my Explorer and the only reason the AD let me have it was because I had purchased an engagement ring from them in the early 2000's. It kinda chapped my hide that I had to have prior purchase history but nonetheless I bought it. I remember picking it up and expecting it to be an event, a moment I would fondly remember, to be treated like a customer. But it wasn't that. It was brief, it was odd because I felt like they were doing me a favor by allowing me to make the purchase, frankly it was a let down. It was simple, I gave them money, they gave me a box with a watch, a brief bracelet fitting, and you’re done. But I had the watch and not knowing better I was happy.
That sufficed me for a few years, but there were more watches I wanted. A GMT, a diver, a dress watch, and maybe something really cool like a tourbillon. Of course, if all of those could be Rolex then all the better. All modern and new(ish). I could go into a long rant about my AD here and disappointments, additional purchases I've made with that same AD, how things used to be, and the watch collecting environment, but I won't. I'll just say that the only reason I want another Rolex at this point is because of the value retention and likely increase. You gotta give it to them for building that type of brand and I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing, it is frustrating though.
So, to arrive at this point, to have discovered such a wonderful brand and an absolutely beautiful watch was a bit of a journey for me, as you can see. But, I am so happy to have finally arrived. Like I said earlier, I first learned of Glashutte from TRF and though I really liked their watches when I first saw them I was put off by the double G. (I mean, what is that thing and why did they have to put it on the seconds hand and crown, it looks like something left over from the early 90’s).
It was the Panomatic Lunar that first caught my eye in 2019 but then I saw the SeaQ Panorama Date in later that year on the website that someone recently purchase, my jaw dropped. The Arabic numerals, double wheel date, blue dial, ceramic bezel, large crown, see through case, swan neck fine adjustment, case finishing, and the way Glashutte is written on the dial. It was too much, they got too much right, too much that I liked, except for that double G. I turned to YouTube and over the course of the next year or so I sought out every review of the watch, I watched ALL of them. Almost every review said basically the same things: such a great watch, better than Rolex, under the radar, good value on the second hand market, and why don’t more people know about this brand. I wanted to know even more but there wasn’t an AD anywhere within 300 miles of where I live. Several trips to different states over the next year didn’t take me any closer. I never seemed to be going to a city that had an AD until late 2021 when I took a trip to Switzerland.

D7DC9EC8-23CB-443D-B14C-7997CDCC4F7B.jpeg

I visited several AD’s and looked at so many watches. Omega, Vacheron, Glashutte, Richard Mille, AP, Blancpain, Hublot, Breguet, Uwerk. I didn’t go to Switzerland for the watches but I also didn’t not go there for the watches, if that makes sense. I didn’t plan to make a purchase despite there being so many wonderful watches, and so many that I’m really glad I finally got to try on, but of all of them I kept coming back to the Glashutte SeaQ. I went to the Glashutte AD in Zurich (twice) Interlaken, Geneva, and Lucerne. Every AD was wonderful, absolutely wonderful, and very attentive and interested in selling me a watch. I was offered champaign, chocolates, swag, and snacks, it was great. But I wasn’t ready to buy. The AD in Zurich informed me of all the unique features about Glashutte, the dial, the movement, their ethics and conservative growth. All of which was interesting to learn, I really wanted to be a part of this brand and it was hard to get on the plane without having the memory of purchasing my watch in Switzerland, even though it’s a German brand. Having young kids at home still I think you’ll understand that making large purchases always comes after everyone else is taken care of and after the holidays.

B1A4D748-B936-43C3-BCCB-197DF4848C75.jpeg

By late January I started my pursuit of acquiring a SeaQ. I wasn’t 100% sure if I wanted the blue dial or bi-color at that point but I started calling those AD’s within my area, 300+ miles away. There were a few in that area but it was Feldmar in Los Angeles that returned my call quickly. They had both the blue and bi-color in stock and so it was really up to me to determine which one I wanted. The sales associate was great to work with, he spent a lot of time with me on the phone and answering emails. He made himself available afterhours and once on the weekend. He was genuine and very courteous. He made me feel like a customer, that he wanted to sell me and cared about doing business with me. It was great! He even offered to throw some swag in on the purchase, which I told him pushed me over the edge though not really. The transaction was done over the phone and the watch came in the mail after a very long weekend. I was so excited about the service Feldmar had given that I sent an email to Glashutte USA and told them about it. They responded by sending me more swag! I can’t imagine Rolex ever doing this.

4B7E24A2-8BD4-43E6-82FB-A2C43BC9A5AE.jpeg

F47F8ECC-FFF3-4349-B45A-7E87C94C5AB8.jpeg

7CB89FC8-0A43-4AE0-9621-A59B721F184B.jpeg

BC4128DA-F724-4089-AA21-DA6802351EA0.jpeg

DF98F897-47AC-4A59-92DA-A7DF5CADC66A.jpeg

25885E41-509E-4A84-BAF2-BC245E1AF632.jpeg

2A90A599-2944-43A1-BDB8-9B4526FA8CB6.jpeg

799EC8F4-A8FD-4DED-95BA-9A15CC2C4835.jpeg

The size of this watch is perfect for my 7.75 wrist. One thing I really like about the bracelet is that it’s easy to remove links. The bracelet is large enough for someone with 8.5 wrists, which is nice for us larger guys. Also the quick adjust on the clasp makes it easy to get a real comfortable fit. The finish on the case and bracelet is almost perfect, I really wish the center links were brushed. It’s fun to have a watch that you can see the movement and like one reviewer said “it’s pure naughtyness”, true. I thought the weight and height of the case would be a problem but in true German fashion it’s very well thought out and neither are an issue for me now that I’ve had a week with it.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, the double G thing. I learned shortly after purchasing the watch the the double G represents Glashutte having one eye turned toward the past, what they’ve learned and their history, and the other towards the future, innovation and embracing what’s to come. How cool is that? Very. It goes along with one of my side businesses, Genealogy tours in Scotland. One of the things we tell our clients, how can we know where we’re going if we don’t understand where we’ve been. (Shameless plug)
I really am over the moon with this purchase. From start to finish this watch and brand have been more than I expected. Other brands should take note and it makes me wonder how their buying experience is. After all this, one of my favorite aspects about Glashutte is that few know about them, only us few collectors and those kindred spirits.

71C30419-C0A8-409F-A83F-169D9692DB4A.jpeg
Jerrocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2022, 09:30 AM   #2
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats! Yes, there are places that value their clients
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2022, 10:47 AM   #3
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
I enjoyed reading that. I've wanted a SeaQ for probably 18 months now and can identify with a lot of your journey to this point. I can't decide on the dial I want. It's a special piece.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2022, 11:54 AM   #4
Jerrocop
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnpina View Post
I can't decide on the dial I want. It's a special piece.
The bi-color is phenomenal and I really want a gold/stainless in my collection, but ultimately I went with the Blue because of its versatility and how it fits with what I have and want to acquire. The Black dial is great but there are other black dial references that I’m planning to add. The blue just fit in better for me but they’re all great.
Old 13 March 2022, 01:03 PM   #5
JonaG
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...
Congrats on the piece and a nice read, just like watches, I’m finding more interest outside the crown general forum of late.
Old 13 March 2022, 02:10 PM   #6
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Good read, great watch. Congrats
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2022, 02:39 PM   #7
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Glashutte makes some damn fine watches. Congrats
Old 13 March 2022, 03:17 PM   #8
Amateur
Banned

Major congrats, wear in good health! To be fair, we can't expect brands that sell as many watches as Rolex, and now AP, PP (selling most of their inventory) to pop champagne and drop gifts to everyone - too time consuming and not really worth it as their brand is already super well established. Disagree with them but that's how it is
Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2022, 03:18 PM   #9
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Huge congrats on a great experience and fantastic watch !
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2022, 07:07 PM   #10
DVR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Diver watches
Nice watch! Congrats

GO has become my favorite brand since purchasing my SeaQ. It is the hidden gem of Diver watches.

BTW, from this summer on the SeaQ will be available with a fully brushed bracelet.
Old 13 March 2022, 09:10 PM   #11
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Great read! Congratulations.
rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2022, 10:10 PM   #12
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Very nice! Enjoy it! I fear that the SeaQ is too big for my 6.5 inch wrist. But always admired the Panoreserve line, may get one someday.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2022, 10:14 PM   #13
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Congrats and great write up.
Old 13 March 2022, 10:16 PM   #14
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
Great watch, congrats!!!
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2022, 10:27 PM   #15
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats, and great story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2022, 10:38 PM   #16
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Congratulations, fantastic share, thank you
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2022, 11:00 PM   #17
themast
"TRF" Member

I have not had the chance to read the entire post yet but congrats on your beautiful SeaQ!
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2022, 11:27 PM   #18
It's Hedley
"TRF" Member

Congrats on a beautiful watch and a great story. I have my first GO inbound (PML) and understand your enthusiasm for the brand.
It's Hedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2022, 11:34 PM   #19
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Beautiful.

Yes Glashutte are great.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2022, 11:48 PM   #20
Jmaguire17
"TRF" Member

Beautiful watch and equally the journey!
Jmaguire17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2022, 11:49 PM   #21
rjd1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Can't pick just 1
Nice read and nice watch - congrats!!
rjd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2022, 11:53 PM   #22
Spartan2009
"TRF" Member

Great write-up. Many thanks for sharing. Enjoy the watch in good times and in good health. I am going to Switzerland for vacation in June. Planning to spend 8 days exploring Geneva and Zurich. I told my wife I would not buy any more watches this year - that promise is going out the window as soon as we land. I am definitely looking forward to stopping by Glashutte while I am there. I live in Houston and there are no ADs near by.
Spartan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2022, 11:55 PM   #23
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations. Great watch and journey to get it. Enjoy.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2022, 12:47 AM   #24
Jerrocop
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVR View Post
BTW, from this summer on the SeaQ will be available with a fully brushed bracelet.
Nice! Can’t wait to see it, would love to add it.
Old 14 March 2022, 01:01 AM   #25
PhilLynott
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet marine
Congrats! Have had mine around 9 months or so it's a great companion that's built like a tank.

Old 14 March 2022, 01:11 AM   #26
JSol1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

What a timely post and great read! I have been lucky enough to source all of the Rolex I’m currently interested in and have been lurking on this forum to get into different brands. Too exhausting to start another relationship with PP, AP and the VC and JLCs I’m interested in are unobtainable at the moment.
Which brings me to GO…I’ve become quite intrigued and am seriously looking for one. However I’ve always felt it important to try a watch on before buying and it’s quite frustrating that their are no dealers in my area…
If anyone knows of a source in New England please let me know (EWC is hit or miss)…
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2022, 01:15 AM   #27
Jerrocop
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan2009 View Post
I am going to Switzerland for vacation in June. Planning to spend 8 days exploring Geneva and Zurich. I told my wife I would not buy any more watches this year - that promise is going out the window as soon as we land. I am definitely looking forward to stopping by Glashutte while I am there. I live in Houston and there are no ADs near by.
I didn’t have a bad experience at any AD, but I found the ones in Lucerne and Zurich the best and most helpful. I’d also recommend seeing what’s on at the Zurich Opera-house, such a great place.
Old 14 March 2022, 02:59 AM   #28
soho
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
Congrats OP. Great brand and a great watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
soho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2022, 04:12 AM   #29
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Congrats and thanks for sharing your experiences. Wear it in health!
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2022, 04:43 AM   #30
nickorette
"TRF" Member

Congrats! Easy to get sucked intk the rolex echochamber when there are so many interesting and special brands and timepieces out there. Some of my best buying experiences have been with JLC, Panerai and Omega boutiques
IWC: Portuguese Min. Repeater, Pilot 36, Pallweber RG, Vintage Pilot's, Ingenieur Patek: 5098P, 5738R, 5120G, 5172G JLC: Reverso Classic, Duomètre, Polaris Memovox 50th, MUTM Enamel AP: 15450 Lange: Lange 1, Copper Blue, Richard Lange, 1815 Up/Down Rolex: 116000, 116520, 126655, 124060, 116505, 228238 Panerai: Luminor 676 Omega: Aqua Terra, SM 300, Museum N°10, SM 321, CK 859 Cartier: Santos Medium, Tank LC VC: Cornes De Vache, Triple Calendrier, 222, 4300V/120R FPJ: CS LF: Classic Micro Rotor
nickorette is offline   Reply With Quote