The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 18 March 2022, 06:57 PM   #31
shafran
"TRF" Member

The hype is passing from brand to brand. I do think the skeleton laureato is as nice as any others out there. Was offered the 18k at list 2 weeks ago with a 2 month wait for delivery.
Unfortunately, I have spent my watch budget. Also tried on the blue dial chrono. It was a nice watch.
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2022, 07:15 PM   #32
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
I love finding undervalued watches and getting a bargain. To me, that may be the single most exciting aspect of watch collecting. Before the vintage Rolex market blew up, for example, there were so many deals to be had on under-appreciated treasures. Other brands too, including VC, AP, PP, et al. When you got one, you felt like you were "getting away" with something because other folks just didn't see the value. Truly an exciting feeling. Even today, some independent brands and certain dress watches still offer the same opportunity since the world can only seem to focus on sports watches from the big brands...

For that reason, I so want the Laureato to be that under-appreciated, but-every-bit-as good-as-the-coveted-pieces, watch flying under the radar like when I got the 1969 Omega Speedmaster Professional Apollo XI Gold for a song in 2012, or the Gen 2 VC Overseas Chrono Limited Edition for a song and a dance in 2018.

But it's just not.

It's a fine watch to be sure, and if you have one and you like it, I raise a toast you and your success. I just don't see the unique / intrinsic value that it holds over similar watches in it's class i.e. Zenith Defy, modern IWC Ingeneur, or Hublot Big bang, etc. who are trying to offer a less expensive option for an integrated-bracelet sports watch. So if the question is "is it the next 'big thing'" I don't see why it would be.
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2022, 08:40 PM   #33
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafran View Post
The hype is passing from brand to brand. I do think the skeleton laureato is as nice as any others out there. Was offered the 18k at list 2 weeks ago with a 2 month wait for delivery.
Unfortunately, I have spent my watch budget. Also tried on the blue dial chrono. It was a nice watch.
Offered from an AD? I kinda like the skeleton to be honest. So that's 20k usd off from 38k retail. I wonder if I can get that kind of deal in Europe because for 18k usd/16k euro I would jump on it to be honest.

https://www.girard-perregaux.com/row...1-001-11a.html
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2022, 09:05 PM   #34
aseksr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
Offered from an AD? I kinda like the skeleton to be honest. So that's 20k usd off from 38k retail. I wonder if I can get that kind of deal in Europe because for 18k usd/16k euro I would jump on it to be honest.

https://www.girard-perregaux.com/row...1-001-11a.html

I think he means 18k gold not price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aseksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2022, 09:25 PM   #35
gd12188
"TRF" Member

Someone watches too much Timepiece Gentleman
gd12188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2022, 03:23 AM   #36
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

To me this is pretty obvious. Every Goldman mid-level finance bro is gobbling up the AP scene.

Entry level finance bro Chad wants in but is not quite at that level. Next best thing that kinda looks like AP is GP. Dealers are saavy and realize a pump and dump when they see one. They all chit chat and collude together and boom we’ve created the new hype beast.

GP is garbage.

Fedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2022, 07:37 AM   #37
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedpete View Post
GP is garbage.
…and you have no clue.
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2022, 07:46 AM   #38
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrossma View Post
I don't want to judge any watch or brand, but I personally don't know anyone (family/friends/watch buddies/clients) interested in this brand.

That doesn’t surprise me:

1. You are in the US, where the brand still remains relatively unknown.
2. It's a comparatively small manufacturer with a comparatively small marketing budget.
3. It is not part of the hype machine irrespective of what the OP is saying.

As a collector of the brand I am glad the people you know are not interested in the brand.
Old 19 March 2022, 07:54 AM   #39
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger_vital View Post
But it's just not.
They often say "if you know, you know". I guess the obverse is true too.
Old 19 March 2022, 08:01 AM   #40
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

All nice and well but are we really going to facilitate one or two posters with an obvious interest in pushing the Laureato here? Even if the blue Laureato has become a bit more popular of late GP has always gone -60% off retail and will be the first to get dumped if the market stabilizes. Steer clear unless you really love the watch for what it is.
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2022, 08:26 AM   #41
LVx2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadelt View Post
Meaning of obverse in English

obverse
noun [ U ] formal
UK /ˈɒb.vɜːs/ US /ɑːbˈvɝːs/

the other side of something:
False humility and its obverse, arrogance, are equally unpleasant.
Of course, the obverse of the theory may also be true.

I like this part;

False humility and its obverse, arrogance, are equally unpleasant.
LVx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2022, 12:35 PM   #42
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
…and you have no clue.

Let me know what that value retention is looking like on the Laureato in 3-5 years. You’d be better off with a Bulgari Octo by miles.

Old 19 March 2022, 12:39 PM   #43
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That doesn’t surprise me:

1. You are in the US, where the brand still remains relatively unknown.
2. It's a comparatively small manufacturer with a comparatively small marketing budget.
3. It is not part of the hype machine irrespective of what the OP is saying.

As a collector of the brand I am glad the people you know are not interested in the brand.

Dude enjoy the four other guys in your collectors group. I’m happy you enjoy their pieces. GP is the $6.99 DVD bin of watches. Nothing will change that.

Respectfully, It’s ludicrous to think this is some sort of hidden aficionado piece.

Old 19 March 2022, 12:43 PM   #44
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

Is the Laureato the newest hot/unobtainable piece?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrossma View Post
I don't want to judge any watch or brand, but I personally don't know anyone (family/friends/watch buddies/clients) interested in this brand.

Do you know anybody interested in experiencing fragmented sleep patterns? About the same popularity.

Old 19 March 2022, 12:44 PM   #45
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I’m so surprised that TPG has managed to push GP this far! LOL!
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2022, 01:53 PM   #46
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Let me know what that value retention is looking like on the Laureato in 3-5 years. You’d be better off with a Bulgari Octo by miles.

So you determine whether a brand is garbage or not based on value retention? As I said, you have no clue!
Old 19 March 2022, 04:47 PM   #47
K12123
"TRF" Member

Looks fine, just can’t get over the lug nut bezel.
K12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2022, 05:13 PM   #48
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Is the Laureato the newest hot/unobtainable piece?

Quote:

Educate me. I’m happy to be wrong.

This is my perception of the watch, tell me where I’ve been lead astray in my observation:

There are a lot of watches that borrow aesthetics from other watches. And that’s fine. But I’m my experience they need to put an interesting twist on the watch or just execute it better in order to be special.

The GP looks like a Royal Oak ish case on a Nautilus ish bracelet. So the design innovation is lacking. Which would be fine if they executed it better than the AP or PP, but they don’t even execute it as well as their predecessors. So help me see where I’m going wrong. What special value do you see in this watch?

Old 19 March 2022, 06:23 PM   #49
S``
"TRF" Member

The Laureato is currently the biggest chancers' galore...

2 listings, the "42k" version is claimed to be sold...

I've seen some names on these threads that had multiple claims that Rolex, AP, PP to be "overhyped"... But... the Laureato which had only moved in the last month or so (since the TPG and Roman Sharf IWJG Miami pump videos) are the real deal????

I've never seen a big asking price spread than this example...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220319_151748.jpg (100.4 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220319_151943.jpg (274.4 KB, 269 views)
S`` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2022, 06:27 PM   #50
S``
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This is my perception of the watch, tell me where I’ve been lead astray in my observation:

There are a lot of watches that borrow aesthetics from other watches. And that’s fine. But I’m my experience they need to put an interesting twist on the watch or just execute it better in order to be special.

The GP looks like a Royal Oak ish case on a Nautilus ish bracelet. So the design innovation is lacking. Which would be fine if they executed it better than the AP or PP, but they don’t even execute it as well as their predecessors. So help me see where I’m going wrong. What special value do you see in this watch?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=838870

I spoke of the same earlier... Seeing the "hate" TPG receives around here... I am just as surprised that the shill works

Maybe in this current market, any watch with an integrated bracelet would sell
Old 19 March 2022, 06:31 PM   #51
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So you determine whether a brand is garbage or not based on value retention? As I said, you have no clue!

It’s one component in my mix.

The Laureato design language is pure trash. A Frankenstein of elements—Nautilus bracelet, APish bezel, APish el cheapo dial.

In the metal toyish feel, long history of after market garbage value (-60% off minute you leave store). Universal signifier of brand weakness trash. Let me know if your Porsche 911 or Rolex crashes by over half when you leave the dealer.

Haute line looks like MB&F and UN Freak had a baby from a one night stand that literally nobody wants.

Chronographs look like cheap Tudor AP garbage mashups.

They literally name watches after nicknames from other Aps such as the ghost.

Their perpetual calendar is 90s Ap ripoff trash.

Literally YouTube videos are titled “why all the hate for GP”

Do you have another 2 hours? I could keep going on about the movements etc.

Look it, I support your enjoyment of the brand and your enthusiasm. But don’t attempt to gaslight us with the “you have no idea” and pretend your Boon’s Farm is a Lafite Rothschild.

I’ll wait for your “Achtkualllyyyyy. “

Old 19 March 2022, 06:37 PM   #52
S``
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s one component in my mix.

The Laureato design language is pure trash. A Frankenstein of elements—Nautilus bracelet, APish bezel, APish el cheapo dial.

In the metal toyish feel, long history of after market garbage value (-60% off minute you leave store). Universal signifier of brand weakness trash.

The pros will tell you that the Laureato design came before the AP RO (TPG video, I kid you not), and was produced before the nautilus (this part is at least true)....

I've attached the original Laureato design just for discussion purposes...

Just like your points, the first Laureato looks nothing like the current iteration in design, and movement
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Girard-Perregaux-Laureato-1975-722x1024.jpg (231.5 KB, 265 views)
Old 19 March 2022, 06:40 PM   #53
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S`` View Post
The pros will tell you that the Laureato design came before the AP RO (TPG video, I kid you not), and was produced before the nautilus (this part is at least true)....

I've attached the original Laureato design just for discussion purposes...

Just like your points, the first Laureato looks nothing like the current iteration in design, and movement

If they stuck with this mall kiosk garbage design I’d have more respect.

Old 19 March 2022, 06:47 PM   #54
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

The Ap RO dropped in 1972. GPLin 75. Nautilus 76.

All born from quartz crisis days. Roman Sharf is a smart business man and TPG is an idiot but street smart. They’re betting you can’t get an RO so they’re pumping you BS to lure you toward an absolute garbage brand that is highly accessible, super cheap, and they can destroy it on margins.

You have to be born yesterday to not see this.

Old 19 March 2022, 07:10 PM   #55
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The Ap RO dropped in 1972. GPLin 75. Nautilus 76.

All born from quartz crisis days. Roman Sharf is a smart business man and TPG is an idiot but street smart. They’re betting you can’t get an RO so they’re pumping you BS to lure you toward an absolute garbage brand that is highly accessible, super cheap, and they can destroy it on margins.

You have to be born yesterday to not see this.

Exactly! TPG and Roman are pushing GP because they are attempting to get first mover advantage - buy all the Laureato at low prices, pump it hard and make it huge profit. And Roman isn’t exactly a saint either with his RayBan issues. The big shame for me is that David K (from a UK grey dealer) actually had the guts to say that Roman is not wrong and we should keep supporting him. That was a disgrace! Supporting a person who sells counterfeit goods for profit without even taking responsibility. The audacity of grey dealers these days!
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2022, 07:15 PM   #56
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
OK, I'll try, but I've got a lot of points floating around in my head so I'll need some time to formulate them into a cogent argument. In the meantime I'll leave you with the presumption that you are aware that the three-hander version of your VC contains a Girard-Perregaux movement at its base.
Old 19 March 2022, 07:16 PM   #57
bibbi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush View Post

I do find the piece attractive (and was excited at the prospect of 38mm, which I find to be the perfect size), but can also admit that I wouldn't like it nearly as much if I weren't associating it with the Royal Oak.

If 38mm is your sweetspot you may then want to think about Czapek Antarctique 38.5mm in Glacier Blue or in Salmon.

As regards GP craze, it started, it will not stop soon. Whether we like their watches or not. Garbage or not. It is just the current market looking for any new targeted “hype watch”.
bibbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2022, 07:18 PM   #58
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ll wait for your “Achtkualllyyyyy. “
Don't bother waiting, because you have again proven that you are totally clueless and I'm not going to waste my time trying to educating you.
Old 19 March 2022, 07:20 PM   #59
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Quote:
OK, I'll try, but I've got a lot of points floating around in my head so I'll need some time to formulate them into a cogent argument. In the meantime I'll leave you with the presumption that you are aware that the three-hander version of your VC contains a Girard-Perregaux movement at its base.

Excellent. I appreciate it.

Old 19 March 2022, 07:28 PM   #60
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Don't bother waiting, because you have again proven that you are totally clueless and I'm not going to waste my time trying to educating you.

Lol so 1-0. I’ll take the W. This you? Enjoy that trash.