The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 20 March 2022, 09:13 PM   #91
seastu
"TRF" Member

I agree. Great history, excellent finish, in house movement, comfortable bracelet, value for money. Now impossible to get at MSRP. I Recently sold my Overseas and kept the GP.
I find the bracelet nicer and the fit and finish on par.
I don't buy watches as investments. I buy what I want to wear and take profits or losses, when a watch no longer interests me. For now the GP is a keeper because I love wearing it,
not because it has risen in value.
If you want to be ahead of the curve take a hard look at that Parmagiani Tonda Gt 3 hand. For me it checks all the boxes.... its a keeper
seastu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2022, 09:51 PM   #92
lightcatcher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger_vital View Post
Good take. You mention that the finishing is better than the GMT, would you put it on the same level as the RO or somewhere in between?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Half an hour before pulling the trigger on the GP, I had the opportunity to try on a black dial RO. While the bracelet was very comfortable, the watch just looked too industrial to me. There was a starkness to it that the case of the GP, with its softer lines just did not have. I would put the finishing of the GP right at par with the RO. The GP also has a certain “heft” to it.

lightcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2022, 09:54 PM   #93
lightcatcher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seastu View Post
I agree. Great history, excellent finish, in house movement, comfortable bracelet, value for money. Now impossible to get at MSRP. I Recently sold my Overseas and kept the GP.
I don't buy watches as investments. I buy what I want to wear and take profits or losses, when a watch no longer interests me. For now the GP is a keeper because I love wearing it,
If you want to be ahead of the curve take a hard look at that Parmagiani Tonda Gt 3 hand. For me it checks all the boxes.... its a keeper

Very well said. Watches are not an investment and you need to wear and buy what you like. I traded in my 10 year old PAM 233 for the GP simply because I did not enjoy the 233 any longer. It felt too big, heavy and uncomfortable.

The Tonda is on my radar but it seems to wear quite large. Guess I’ll have to try it out to see :)

lightcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2022, 10:34 PM   #94
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcatcher View Post
Haters are going to hate, no matter what. As one of the previous posters replied, the Laureato came two years after the AP RO and before the Nautilius. The design language is also very different, having been designed by a Milanese architect who too inspiration from the roof of the Duomo. I picked up one recently. The blue dial absolutely pops and I got it close to 30% under retail....
Congrats! What matters is that you love it and wear it often. Who gives a flying f... what others, including me, thinks.

YOU are happy, and that's what matters.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2022, 11:09 PM   #95
Swoody
"TRF" Member

Watch: Moser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
another hype watch/machine
Absolutely...not a bad looking piece and I especially like the skeleton models but prices have gone up 30-40% in the past 4 months for what for years has been a close-out watch....a gift to AD's etc.... Anthony Farrar of TPG started flogging these on his channel a few months ago and eve Roman Sharff says he changed the entire business model for GP as far as how many of these they could sell and not for the 25% discount they have been at for years....I had to laugh when yesterday I saw a Laureato with an asking price of $23k .....Don't hold your breath seller!!!!
Swoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 03:19 AM   #96
LVx2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by seastu View Post
Haha, impossible to get at msrp, lol
LVx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 03:21 AM   #97
smg8
Banned

Who/what is TPG that people keep referring to? Thanks
smg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 03:21 AM   #98
LVx2
Banned

Quote:
Half an hour before pulling the trigger on the GP, I had the opportunity to try on a black dial RO. While the bracelet was very comfortable, the watch just looked too industrial to me. There was a starkness to it that the case of the GP, with its softer lines just did not have. I would put the finishing of the GP right at par with the RO. The GP also has a certain “heft” to it.

Haha, finishing of the GP on par with the Royal Oak, lol
Old 21 March 2022, 03:22 AM   #99
smg8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVx2 View Post
Haha, impossible to get at msrp, lol
Are you aware of any for sale at MSRP right now? I’ve spoken to 3 x ADs and 1 x grey who all say they simply can’t get one.
Old 21 March 2022, 03:42 AM   #100
LVx2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smg8 View Post
Are you aware of any for sale at MSRP right now? I’ve spoken to 3 x ADs and 1 x grey who all say they simply can’t get one.
Synonyms & Antonyms for impossible

Synonyms
hopeless, insoluble, insolvable, insuperable, unattainable, undoable, unrealizable, unsolvable

Antonyms
achievable, attainable, doable, feasible, possible, realizable, resolvable, soluble, work

I’m going with the antonyms on this one.
Old 21 March 2022, 04:34 AM   #101
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:
Who/what is TPG that people keep referring to? Thanks
"Time Piece Gentleman." A watch-lifestyle youtube channel. The main guy is an ex-convict turned grey-market watch dealer. They are controversial with some of their antics.
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 05:35 AM   #102
smg8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger_vital View Post
"Time Piece Gentleman." A watch-lifestyle youtube channel. The main guy is an ex-convict turned grey-market watch dealer. They are controversial with some of their antics.
Thank you very much
Old 21 March 2022, 05:59 AM   #103
Bug04
"TRF" Member

I would say however that also the PAM 233 is a great watch!

Quote:
Very well said. Watches are not an investment and you need to wear and buy what you like. I traded in my 10 year old PAM 233 for the GP simply because I did not enjoy the 233 any longer. It felt too big, heavy and uncomfortable.

The Tonda is on my radar but it seems to wear quite large. Guess I’ll have to try it out to see :)

Bug04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 06:00 AM   #104
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Just a couple of folks trying to get the bandwagon rolling on a watch they wish they didn’t have to buy. What a thread.
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 06:24 AM   #105
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Is the Laureato the newest hot/unobtainable piece?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVx2 View Post
Haha, finishing of the GP on par with the Royal Oak, lol

That is nonsense. I tried on two versions of the blue Laureato at the trunk show. Was wearing my VC 4500V that day and I can assure you the GP finishing and dial was closer to Tissot than Trinity.

I really really wanted it to be amazing but it just wasn't.

If you can't tell the difference then by all means don't pay the difference, OP. I'm happy that you're happy.
Old 21 March 2022, 06:50 AM   #106
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetBaker View Post
Just a couple of folks trying to get the bandwagon rolling on a watch they wish they didn’t have to buy. What a thread.
...brought to us by Hustlers who get robber by other Hustlers. If you love GP great, yet no FOMO at all.

Weird thing is the GP Casquette. I love retro and why I have a Spaceview, Hamilton PSR MTX, etc, yet the ambitious pricing by GP boggles my mind. With has such a short display cycle and complaints about it, GP desperately needs to do a firmware update to the three-second rule.

BTW, Bulova is releasing something like the Casquette in a week or so for around $1000.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 21 March 2022, 07:47 AM   #107
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

This is a very odd thread.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 07:49 AM   #108
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

Maybe dumbest thread in history. If any of you on this thread believe GP is close or even within range to the finishing of the Trilogy brands you should seek immediate counseling to address your substance abuse issues.

You either know very little about this game or you’re an insider attempting to pump through disinformation.

Fedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 05:51 PM   #109
smg8
Banned

I have to say the responses to the thread are not quite what I had in mind.

I simply wanted to know what happened in the last few weeks that made a GP Laureato go from 15% below list to seemingly being very hard to acquire and being advertised at 3 x list price.

In response I have got what I can assume are mainly teenagers using the word "lol" every few words, and people saying how they think GP are sh*t.

That's not really what I asked.....good insight into the IQ of some forum members though!
Old 21 March 2022, 06:25 PM   #110
bibbi
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I simply wanted to know what happened in the last few weeks that made a GP Laureato go from 15% below list to seemingly being very hard to acquire and being advertised at 3 x list price.

In response I have got what I can assume are mainly teenagers using the word "lol" every few words, and people saying how they think GP are sh*t.

That's not really what I asked.....good insight into the IQ of some forum members though!

Very good summary. Finally to the point.
bibbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 10:08 PM   #111
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

Quote:

How deep of a breakdown do you require? A YouTuber street smart idiot hustled it along with other YouTubers. They colluded to pump the price so they could be ahead and buy all the pieces dirt cheap and kill margin. This was led by the fact that bro Chad can’t get AP and this is a decent to the eye enough substitute.

Fedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 11:32 PM   #112
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Why did I click on this thread.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2022, 12:02 AM   #113
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedpete View Post
A YouTuber street smart idiot hustled it along with other YouTubers. They colluded to pump the price so they could be ahead and buy all the pieces dirt cheap and kill margin.

i truly do feel for those who foolishly get a (false) sense of FOMO and fall for this Paid Promotion scam, because that's basically what it boils down to folks.

Reminds me of Chrono24 for sale ads with ambitious / outrageous pricing. Only a fool would fall for such scams imho.

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!

Old 22 March 2022, 12:29 AM   #114
smg8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post

i truly do feel for those who foolishly get a (false) sense of FOMO and fall for this Paid Promotion scam, because that's basically what it boils down to folks.

Reminds me of Chrono24 for sale ads with ambitious / outrageous pricing. Only a fool would fall for such scams imho.

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!
Would GP be the first brand to pay to promote their products? Is the entire watch industry not based on promotion, advertising, brand ambassadors etc?
Old 22 March 2022, 12:32 AM   #115
smg8
Banned

FWIW and for those interested in the question as to why (beyond any conspiracy theories) I contacted another AD today who also have no men's Laureato's and have no allocation of men's Laureato's for the rest of this year. They have also said they are not taking any further enquiries for them.

I asked the specific question in my OP, why do they think this is happening.

Their reply;

To be honest, this is also a very recent development that has affected most Girard Perregaux retailers. We believe that it could be due to the difficulty of obtaining Rolex timepieces, many customers are looking towards alternative brands that produce stainless steel 'sport' watches. This then has created a massive and unprecedented demand for manufacturers who are now selling out extremely quickly.

Simple as really. Oh well, pleased I got mine at a discount which felt like a fair price. Paying £20k for one seems nuts to me, but then again people are paying £50k for Daytona's and £140k for Nautilus's so I guess I don't know what "normal" is anymore.
Old 22 March 2022, 03:04 AM   #116
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Would GP be the first brand to pay to promote their products? Is the entire watch industry not based on promotion, advertising, brand ambassadors etc?
Great Questions

Ahhh, there's a big can of worms about paid influencer promotion (yet not marked as paid promotion), hustlers who work in concert to hype a brand after they bought out AD stock (probably at deep discount), price manipulation via auctions.....

Guess my best advice is to believe your own eyes. Look at what you're buying, carefully. Is the price commensurate with the product being offered regardless of any fabled list or hype?

Is this something YOU truly desire?

Some senseless rambling by me follows....
I've passed on many pieces over the years. As an example, while I admire the Omega Snoopy 'To The Moon' and was offered/passed on it, I prefer the 50th anniversary Buzz Butt. That's my preference, regardless of what some hype may surround Snoopy (and I'm a big NASA fanboy).

The AP everyone loves, it's nice yet not me. My preference. I feel the Bvlgari is much better in many respects so got one (before it got, rightly I may add, hyped). My eyes said WOW, that's an amazing movement and accomplishment, plus 100m WP and I was sold instantly. But really, never thought of Bvlgari as a timepiece manufacturer years ago. TIMES HAVE CHANGED....

So...

Pretty please be careful out there as times they have changed. Get what YOU love.

And dare to be different.

jmho ymmv

274361542_1098926827627941_3127268312469805026_n.jpg

Old 22 March 2022, 03:24 AM   #117
LVx2
Banned

Quote:

Haha, teenagers, lol
Old 22 March 2022, 03:38 AM   #118
seastu
"TRF" Member

This is a very strange thread indeed. All those GP bashers are folks trying to convince themselves that they made the the correct decision on the watches they purchased. If I had to guess they paid over MSRP for a watch everyone wanted because prices were escalating.
Buy what you love, wear and enjoy and keep your ridiculous opinions to yourself.
seastu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2022, 03:43 AM   #119
smg8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post

Look at what you're buying, carefully. Is the price commensurate with the product being offered regardless of any fabled list or hype?

Is this something YOU truly desire?

Some senseless rambling by me follows....

I've passed on many pieces over the years. .........

And dare to be different.
These are very valid points. I passed on a list price 5711 in 2019, I tried it on and just didn't like it. Of course with hindsight I'd have bought it, put it in a safe and sold it on for £90k profit today , but my decision was based on "do I want to buy this watch" rather than projecting future value. Indeed I went on to buy an Aquanaut at list, and after a year decided I liked the idea of owning a Patek much more than the watch itself so sold it and replaced it with a Hublot. Blasphemy around these parts, I know!

There is certainly lots of merit to buying the watch YOU like not the watch that other people like. Sadly I think a lot of people fall into the trap of the latter.
Old 22 March 2022, 04:01 AM   #120
flyguy33
"TRF" Member

I've got a 42mm blue Laureato that I purchased at pre-owned market price in late 2020 and have worn in rotation since then. It is one of my go-to watches that I wear when I want something that looks great and feels great but is also going to fly under the radar of non-watch people. The color and texture of the dial are the highlights for me along with the bracelet that is very comfortable.

I've always described it as a great watch if you are looking for something in the $10k range. I felt that way when it was selling well under $10k and I still feel that way as it goes above $10k.
flyguy33 is offline   Reply With Quote