The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 22 March 2022, 04:05 AM   #121
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smg8 View Post
FWIW and for those interested in the question as to why (beyond any conspiracy theories) I contacted another AD today who also have no men's Laureato's and have no allocation of men's Laureato's for the rest of this year. They have also said they are not taking any further enquiries for them.

I asked the specific question in my OP, why do they think this is happening.

Their reply;

To be honest, this is also a very recent development that has affected most Girard Perregaux retailers. We believe that it could be due to the difficulty of obtaining Rolex timepieces, many customers are looking towards alternative brands that produce stainless steel 'sport' watches. This then has created a massive and unprecedented demand for manufacturers who are now selling out extremely quickly.

Simple as really. Oh well, pleased I got mine at a discount which felt like a fair price. Paying £20k for one seems nuts to me, but then again people are paying £50k for Daytona's and £140k for Nautilus's so I guess I don't know what "normal" is anymore.
You seem very invested in this that you are calling up AD’s for a watch you already have, just to convince the 20 odd people in this thread that GP really is the real deal. What did you expect the AD would tell you? “Nah GP is shite mate - this is all due to a pump and dump devised by the devious TPG”. Nah.
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2022, 04:09 AM   #122
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Edit
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2022, 04:21 AM   #123
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetBaker View Post
You seem very invested in this that you are calling up AD’s for a watch you already have, just to convince the 20 odd people in this thread that GP really is the real deal. What did you expect the AD would tell you? “Nah GP is shite mate - this is all due to a pump and dump devised by the devious TPG”.

Lol, I know the haters love the “lol.”

I standby my original claim that this is the dumbest thread in history. Glad I could be here for it.

This the equivalent of buying a brz because you couldn’t get a 911 and then telling everybody how spectacular and incredible Subaru is and how everyone else knows nothing about cars and how Subaru is on par with Porsche finishing and fit. This is how absurd this is.

This place is an snl skit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2022, 04:22 AM   #124
LVx2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by seastu View Post
This is a very strange thread indeed. All those GP bashers are folks trying to convince themselves that they made the the correct decision on the watches they purchased. If I had to guess they paid over MSRP for a watch everyone wanted because prices were escalating.
Buy what you love, wear and enjoy and keep your ridiculous opinions to yourself.
lol
LVx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2022, 05:27 AM   #125
smg8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetBaker View Post
You seem very invested in this that you are calling up AD’s for a watch you already have, just to convince the 20 odd people in this thread that GP really is the real deal. What did you expect the AD would tell you? “Nah GP is shite mate - this is all due to a pump and dump devised by the devious TPG”. Nah.
I wanted to add the panda dial chrono….

This is the strangest most paranoid forum I’ve ever visited, wow. Someone can’t even comment on a change in availability of a watch without apparently being at the heart of a global conspiracy to pump the price up. Put the tin foil hats down people
smg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2022, 05:29 AM   #126
smg8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedpete View Post
Lol, I know the haters love the “lol.”

I standby my original claim that this is the dumbest thread in history. Glad I could be here for it.

This the equivalent of buying a brz because you couldn’t get a 911 and then telling everybody how spectacular and incredible Subaru is and how everyone else knows nothing about cars and how Subaru is on par with Porsche finishing and fit. This is how absurd this is.

This place is an snl skit.

The fact this is your interpretation of the thread is very strange. Imagine being perturbed by someone starting a thread about a watch on a watch forum.
Old 22 March 2022, 05:32 AM   #127
smg8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy33 View Post
I've got a 42mm blue Laureato that I purchased at pre-owned market price in late 2020 and have worn in rotation since then. It is one of my go-to watches that I wear when I want something that looks great and feels great but is also going to fly under the radar of non-watch people. The color and texture of the dial are the highlights for me along with the bracelet that is very comfortable.

I've always described it as a great watch if you are looking for something in the $10k range. I felt that way when it was selling well under $10k and I still feel that way as it goes above $10k.
Thanks for the sensible contribution :cheers agree, I bought mine as I wanted something under the radar. I became quite uncomfortable with my Patek and AP after the crazy price increases. Too many people getting robbed at knife point for their watch etc. The GP struck me as being great for something that’s not your generic insta bro Rolex, whilst also offering plenty of spare change from down trading the AP Royal Oak. A nice halfway house.
Old 22 March 2022, 07:36 AM   #128
LVx2
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the sensible contribution :cheers agree, I bought mine as I wanted something under the radar. I became quite uncomfortable with my Patek and AP after the crazy price increases. Too many people getting robbed at knife point for their watch etc. The GP struck me as being great for something that’s not your generic insta bro Rolex, whilst also offering plenty of spare change from down trading the AP Royal Oak. A nice halfway house.
Went through your threads.

Had a blue AP 15300? Ouch, should have held that.

Had a Daytona? See above, lol.

You sold an AP ROC for 20k late 2019 then bought a Hublot and a GP. You point out your discounts on both.

Turned down a PP 5711 white. Claim they got you a 5167 because you proved you weren't a flipper. Then sold the 5167!

Repeatedly talk of price, discount and money.

Wanted to buy an AP ROO but too expensive.

Talk of considering buying a Daytona at 27k gbp or a Breitling at 4800 gbp instead of 6600 gbp msrp. Again, discounts, msrp and money talk.

You're all over the place! It's hard to keep up with the various stories and scenarios!

What does seem clear, you may have had some watches that today are worth many multiples of what you sold them for.

Perhaps you are hyping this GP so it won't be another one that got away?
LVx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2022, 07:39 AM   #129
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVx2 View Post

You sold an AP ROC for 20k late 2019 then bought a Hublot and a GP. You point out your discounts on both.

Turned down a PP 5711 white. Claim they got you a 5167 because you proved you weren't a flipper. Then sold the 5167!

Talk of considering buying a Daytona at 27k gbp or a Breitling at 4800 gbp instead of 6600 gbp msrp. Again, discounts, msrp and money talk.

You're all over the place! It's hard to keep up with the various stories and scenarios!

What does seem clear, you may have had some watches that today are worth many multiples of what you sold them for.

Good sleuthing

Sorry to hear about your poor track record, OP. That's frustrating for sure.
Old 22 March 2022, 09:49 AM   #130
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You should receive an RF OSINT honor for this work.

Old 22 March 2022, 11:39 AM   #131
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

I realize it’s an old thread, still, it’s reflective of the current situation. I went to a GP AD to inquire about the Laureato. They told me the blue one would take 1 year to get.
Luckily I ordered the Czapek Antarctique, which is a better watch from in just about every aspect.

ndrs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2022, 11:58 AM   #132
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrs63 View Post
I realize it’s an old thread, still, it’s reflective of the current situation. I went to a GP AD to inquire about the Laureato. They told me the blue one would take 1 year to get.
Luckily I ordered the Czapek Antarctique, which is a better watch from in just about every aspect.

Good job. It is head and shoulders above this watch indeed.

Old 22 March 2022, 02:52 PM   #133
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

I mean, considering comparative msrp-s (not the nonsense grey prices), the “classic” Laureato’s price of $13K is about right. The Atlantique is around $20k and worth every penny.

ndrs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2022, 05:44 PM   #134
smg8
Banned

Quote:

Crikey. I am glad I have given you something to do. Even if by "something" I mean trawling through 6 years worth of posts on a forum from a complete stranger. Have you thought of getting out more? That post count is creeping up for someone who has only been here a month....

You are absolutely right though - I have indeed had the fortune to own a number of nice watches over the years. Although I would say you have missed quite a lot off the list, so will hold off the back slapping and calling you Lieutenant Columbo just for now.

Life changes significantly over time, and from when I bought my first "proper" watch in 2014 (PAM 312) at 28 to now there have been various other financial commitments (business to run, wedding, house project, baby etc) which has impacted what % of my overall income and/or assets I can allocate to watches. That has of course meant selling some pieces to facilitate other things. One day I hope I can be in a position to buy whatever I want without there being any opportunity cost, like some of the older and wiser posters on here.

Do I regret selling an AP 15300 to raise funds to finish a house renovation project in 2016? Of course not.

Do I regret the fact a bi metal Daytona just wasn't me and I traded it in not long after getting it? Not at all, I bought something else with the money.

Do I regret freeing up funds so my wife could take another year off work to look after our little one, rather than her go back to work just so I can have a 5th watch sat in a safe? Of course not.....

Do I regret letting go of an Aquanaut after a year or not clicking with it? Not at all.

Am I loathed to pay £26k for a pre owned ROO that was £12k 24 months ago? Definitely.

If the question is would you in hindsight have kept every single one of those until the exact moment they peaked in the market and sold for the optimum amount, of course that would have been lovely. But I run a business and invest in stocks and shares to make money, watches are broadly speaking to wear whilst ideally not losing too much. The price I pay for something (anything) matters to me as I don't have infinite resources. Hopefully one day it won't and I will.

As for the GP, I can honestly say it could quadruple overnight and make zero material impact on my life. I have no interest in "hyping" a watch, I was genuinely interested in other people's ideas around what had happened that led to such a leap in C24 prices/AD availability, but I realise in hindsight that the subject is quite upsetting to some people so do apologise to those who are troubled by the thread.

Wishing you all the best
Old 22 March 2022, 06:50 PM   #135
shafran
"TRF" Member

well said

I find it curious that people liking a watch angers others. Everyone has different tastes. Some like Hublot, some like Patek and there are many brands in between. This hobby and forum is supposed to be a place you go to to enjoy watches, not get ridiculed for liking one.
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2022, 07:34 PM   #136
gliazzurri
"TRF" Member

Is the Laureato the newest hot/unobtainable piece?

Quote:
Crikey. I am glad I have given you something to do. Even if by "something" I mean trawling through 6 years worth of posts on a forum from a complete stranger. Have you thought of getting out more? That post count is creeping up for someone who has only been here a month....

You are absolutely right though - I have indeed had the fortune to own a number of nice watches over the years. Although I would say you have missed quite a lot off the list, so will hold off the back slapping and calling you Lieutenant Columbo just for now.

Life changes significantly over time, and from when I bought my first "proper" watch in 2014 (PAM 312) at 28 to now there have been various other financial commitments (business to run, wedding, house project, baby etc) which has impacted what % of my overall income and/or assets I can allocate to watches. That has of course meant selling some pieces to facilitate other things. One day I hope I can be in a position to buy whatever I want without there being any opportunity cost, like some of the older and wiser posters on here.

Do I regret selling an AP 15300 to raise funds to finish a house renovation project in 2016? Of course not.

Do I regret the fact a bi metal Daytona just wasn't me and I traded it in not long after getting it? Not at all, I bought something else with the money.

Do I regret freeing up funds so my wife could take another year off work to look after our little one, rather than her go back to work just so I can have a 5th watch sat in a safe? Of course not.....

Do I regret letting go of an Aquanaut after a year or not clicking with it? Not at all.

Am I loathed to pay £26k for a pre owned ROO that was £12k 24 months ago? Definitely.

If the question is would you in hindsight have kept every single one of those until the exact moment they peaked in the market and sold for the optimum amount, of course that would have been lovely. But I run a business and invest in stocks and shares to make money, watches are broadly speaking to wear whilst ideally not losing too much. The price I pay for something (anything) matters to me as I don't have infinite resources. Hopefully one day it won't and I will.

As for the GP, I can honestly say it could quadruple overnight and make zero material impact on my life. I have no interest in "hyping" a watch, I was genuinely interested in other people's ideas around what had happened that led to such a leap in C24 prices/AD availability, but I realise in hindsight that the subject is quite upsetting to some people so do apologise to those who are troubled by the thread.

Wishing you all the best

Good answer. No need to have to justify oneself on these kinds of forums. Same as car ones where ppl debate if someone actually owns or had driven a car in question. Starts to sound like one can’t be part of the club. We all theoretically come here to enjoy our interest together.
gliazzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2022, 07:56 PM   #137
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:

As for the GP, I can honestly say it could quadruple overnight and make zero material impact on my life.
I mean... it would have at least a little impact if you have one... haha!

Quote:
...so do apologise to those who are troubled by the thread.
Don't you apologize! This thread is fantastic. Everyone trying to gain the moral high ground on everyone else through patronizing / shaming responses is truly good stuff. Even those who are shaming the entire thread can't help to post on it, if only to shame it. Classic.

If nothing else, this thread is a great example of how passionate people are about watches and watchmaking (which includes the sales and marketing aspects every bit as much as the technical and manufacturing aspects).

Well done.
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2022, 08:13 PM   #138
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Wow, the most GP has been discussed on this forum....

Lots of people convinced they are right on this thread. It's just a watch. Not sure why some people feel the need to be so sarcastic/negative.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2022, 11:50 PM   #139
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafran View Post
I find it curious that people liking a watch angers others. Everyone has different tastes. Some like Hublot, some like Patek and there are many brands in between. This hobby and forum is supposed to be a place you go to to enjoy watches, not get ridiculed for liking one.

Safe space alert. If you’re out here attempting to tell people they know nothing about watches and gaslight them about GP you should be ridiculed.

I have stated a number of times I don’t care if you love GP, Timex, whatever. Just don’t tell me your GP is something it isn’t.

This is all happening because of the shortage with Rolex and trilogy brand products and now people are attempting to rationalize the purchase. What a coincidence guys—the Laureato is “surging” in price when for eternity it was a -70% off $6.99 dvd bin watch.

You are being played by watch dealers, YouTube personalities. Now for the comfort of your own psychology, people are looking for reinforcement that GP is something “special.” Oh my god, the finishing, the dial. You’re tasting Boone’s Farm and telling everyone oh yeah this is a 96 pointer and stands against Lafite. You look foolish.

Love your Boone’s Farm but don’t pretend it’s anything more.

Old 23 March 2022, 12:08 AM   #140
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Safe space alert. If you’re out here attempting to tell people they know nothing about watches and gaslight them about GP you should be ridiculed.

I have stated a number of times I don’t care if you love GP, Timex, whatever. Just don’t tell me your GP is something it isn’t.

This is all happening because of the shortage with Rolex and trilogy brand products and now people are attempting to rationalize the purchase. What a coincidence guys—the Laureato is “surging” in price when for eternity it was a -70% off $6.99 dvd bin watch.

You are being played by watch dealers, YouTube personalities. Now for the comfort of your own psychology, people are looking for reinforcement that GP is something “special.” Oh my god, the finishing, the dial. You’re tasting Boone’s Farm and telling everyone oh yeah this is a 96 pointer and stands against Lafite. You look foolish.

I'm with you but this happened to AP as well. I passed on a silver 15450 which was in stock at the end of 2019. Then it blew up, then VC blew up and now people are searching for whatever is left.

I'm not a fan of that either. People are blowing smoke up each others asses.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2022, 12:39 AM   #141
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Have a feeling the just-announced MB&F for ~$3000 is the Hot Piece right now.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=846743

Just sayin'.

Untitled-1.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2022, 12:44 AM   #142
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree that it’s obnoxious to tell someone that you know better, based on your own subjective opinion, and therefore their take is wrong. And I saw the previous posts to which you are referring… though in fairness, your take here implies the same thing. At the end of the day, your valuation of GP is your own subjective opinion. More on that below.

Quote:

Love your Boone’s Farm but don’t pretend it’s anything more. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In fairness, a better analogy would be 2-buck Chuck.
It may not stand up to Lafite, but it’s a good wine that punches above its weight. GPL is not a $30k watch vis a vis PP AP, but when you stand it up to other watches in the same retail ballpark (I.e Zenith, Hublot) it offers a lot more. And as you mention, for a long time the market has not reflected the value. But markets shift.

To that end, I seem to recall a healthy debate about who was better Omega vs Rolex (Speedy vs Daytona); it lasted for years. Today, however, It’s rare to find anybody making this comparison anymore. Did Rolex start making “better” watches than Omega all of a sudden? No. Actually, I would say that if anything the Speedmaster has gotten better while Daytona has remained the same. Either way, the only real difference is that the market has shifted.

So why can’t the market shift to GP as well?

Personally, I don’t see it… but I wouldn’t accuse anyone trying to convince me otherwise of being a crook.

Old 29 March 2022, 12:51 PM   #143
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

was bored so trekked out to a few dealers not expecting to see anything of interest, which ended up being the case. more interesting to me was both dealers were wiped out of all men's laureatos when they used to be stock full of every one, every color dial in steel and in gold, perpetual, skeletons etc. heck even the perpetual that my wife liked was gone and they had that thing forever. GP fever i guess.....
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2022, 01:42 PM   #144
Andy0331
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
GP fever i guess.....
Most likely greys & flippers wanting to cash in on the theoretical hype & ride them to the top. I imagine there will be a lot of bag holders among them.

There are GP models I like, but none enough to compete for my limited watch budget. The Laureato Absolute Crystal (carbon & glass composite) reminds me of my old AP Carbon 44 and I like the World Time variant. But again, I'd rather spend my limited funds on the watches I truly want, rather than what is conveniently available at a lower price.
Andy0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2022, 01:45 PM   #145
rag5178
"TRF" Member

Quote:

To me, watches are all relative. Two years ago when you could get a blue VC 4500v for 17k, the price for a Laureato made sense. Now, with the blue 4500v running 50-60k, a Laureato for 20k seems like a decent buy. Is the Laureato a better watch now? Nah, but neither is the VC, it’s just the market we are in right now.
rag5178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2022, 03:07 PM   #146
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag5178 View Post
To me, watches are all relative. Two years ago when you could get a blue VC 4500v for 17k, the price for a Laureato made sense. Now, with the blue 4500v running 50-60k, a Laureato for 20k seems like a decent buy. Is the Laureato a better watch now? Nah, but neither is the VC, it’s just the market we are in right now.

Fair point.

Old 29 March 2022, 09:48 PM   #147
MONTANTK
"TRF" Member

Wow…. Out of all of the forums I belong to for various topics, the watch ones always seem to have the most “altercations”. Fwiw, I was at WoS in August and they had tons of Lauretos although I didn’t enquirer about any of them specifically. It’s a fantastic looking watch and I wouldn’t be surprised if people were moving to them as an AP alternative. They kind of remind me of a Nautilus and RO if you were to combine them
MONTANTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2022, 11:59 PM   #148
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Yep always some interesting convos here.
Isn’t it logical that a lot of brands are surging, and in particular those that resemble the super hyped ones ?
Does the fact that some are less popular make them lesser quality though ? I’m not saying GP is on par with PP, but I’m also not saying it isn’t. What metrics do most people, sadly even on this forum, go by when comparing; price and availability.
Those are not what I go by.
Meanwhile, good for the Laureato enjoying some popularity
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2022, 01:37 AM   #149
Lamontsanders
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Have a feeling the just-announced MB&F for ~$3000 is the Hot Piece right now.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=846743

Just sayin'.

Attachment 1281187
Agree. That thing is going to be stupid on the secondary market.
Lamontsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2022, 02:06 PM   #150
Amanubis
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16520 / 1665 GW
As others have mentioned, not quite sure what the fuss is about.

Whether a Laureato has spiked in transacted prices (important detail, given the number of unsold listings) is necessarily an objective fact. It is entirely possible that this is the case. After all, the integrated sports watch remains a very popular segment of the watch community and - given the difficulties obtaining a 5711 or RO, it is not inconceivable that attention and demand gets shifted to other, fairly well made products. The Laureato falls into this category (although frankly i am not a fan), as do others like the Alpine Eagle, Czapek, Zenith Defy etc.

It is fundamentally a simple demand and supply situation. It is also natural that owners of the aforementioned pieces would like to say nice things about it (and its value, which is of secondary importance but there you go).

Ultimately, the market dictates, and as collectors without the pockets of LeBron or John Mayer, all we can do is comment, follow and pick up a few pieces along the way - and hopefully share the joy with others in this forum.
Amanubis is offline   Reply With Quote