The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 4 April 2022, 02:27 PM   #151
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Haven't seen the alpine eagle pop but I did check it out finally. Pretty nice the way the bracelet reflects light. I almost want to switch out my wedding ring for their ring
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2022, 02:36 AM   #152
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Integrated bracelet models are great and they're here to stay, in my opinion. Plenty of options out there, and while the AP and PP offerings are obviously the most famous, that doesn't mean that others are just carbon copies or unworthy of praise.

The thing that gets me though is that it seems people are chasing strictly because of popularity / pricing versus actually liking the models, which I guess is no different than the current state of Rolex.

I was interested in a 15400 before the market went crazy for AP and it just did not sit well on my wrist. Great finishing and dial for sure, but it was just too big / boxy for my wrist. The Overseas did nothing for me, and it's the same with the Laureato in this case.

I don't mean to offend current owners, but just as others will have opposing thoughts on my Alpine Eagle, I have different opinions on the rest of these watches. At the very least, I actually went out and tried a lot of these integrated models on before making a decision (Zenith, Piaget, B&R...pass). What I think is missing now is that people are not only buying without trying on the watch, but are also buying without regard for how it actually looks but the fact that they can get it at or under MSRP.

While price should definitely factor into a decision, it should not be the ONLY one. And popularity / hotness? To hell with that.
Old 21 May 2022, 02:55 AM   #153
DVR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Diver watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
And popularity / hotness? To hell with that.
Your integrated bracelet watch is a hot piece compared to mine

But I love mine so much I just ordered the same one with a different dial.

Old 21 May 2022, 03:07 AM   #154
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVR View Post

That's what I'm talking about! Wear what you love because YOU love it!
Old 21 May 2022, 03:13 AM   #155
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoPico View Post
I’m not saying GP is on par with PP, but I’m also not saying it isn’t.
So… what are you saying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2022, 03:44 AM   #156
gliazzurri
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVR View Post

Never thought I would like this but that’s a very striking combo!!
gliazzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2022, 09:35 PM   #157
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
Quote:
Integrated bracelet models are great and they're here to stay, in my opinion. Plenty of options out there, and while the AP and PP offerings are obviously the most famous, that doesn't mean that others are just carbon copies or unworthy of praise.

The thing that gets me though is that it seems people are chasing strictly because of popularity / pricing versus actually liking the models, which I guess is no different than the current state of Rolex.

I was interested in a 15400 before the market went crazy for AP and it just did not sit well on my wrist. Great finishing and dial for sure, but it was just too big / boxy for my wrist. The Overseas did nothing for me, and it's the same with the Laureato in this case.

I don't mean to offend current owners, but just as others will have opposing thoughts on my Alpine Eagle, I have different opinions on the rest of these watches. At the very least, I actually went out and tried a lot of these integrated models on before making a decision (Zenith, Piaget, B&R...pass). What I think is missing now is that people are not only buying without trying on the watch, but are also buying without regard for how it actually looks but the fact that they can get it at or under MSRP.

While price should definitely factor into a decision, it should not be the ONLY one. And popularity / hotness? To hell with that.
Lol There's absolutely no comparison of AE with AP or GP they are on another league... AE is just another genta rip off promoted by internet and pushed by Insta watch pushers...
Old 29 May 2022, 12:19 AM   #158
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charger_vital View Post
So… what are you saying?

I'm saying value is no where near represented by price or hype. GP makes an amazing time piece. Who's to say not on par with AP, PP, etc .....

Or maybe I'm just saying I really like mine
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2022, 12:22 AM   #159
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm saying value is no where near represented by price or hype. GP makes an amazing time piece. Who's to say not on par with AP, PP, etc .....

Or maybe I'm just saying I really like mine

Haha. Nice. Important to like your watch. And let’s be honest at one point not so long ago, the VC Overseas was not “on par” with the AP PPs… so why not GP?

Old 29 May 2022, 12:26 AM   #160
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Honestly I don't even consider myself knowledgeable enough to say which of them is better that the other. I've owned an AP and "liked" it too. The Nautilus appeals to me yes, but the size bothers me. And as I recently considered a 5726 and the price situation, I went Skydweller. What a fantastic movement and probably much more of reliable watch than the 5726, yet if you ask anyone they will say not in the same league as PP. I'd forego some finishing any day for some reliability.
Old 2 June 2022, 06:15 PM   #161
Amanubis
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16520 / 1665 GW
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajurama View Post
Lol There's absolutely no comparison of AE with AP or GP they are on another league... AE is just another genta rip off promoted by internet and pushed by Insta watch pushers...
GP? On a different league? Yes, if you mean streets behind the AE in terms of fit, finish, attention to detail etc. The AP edges the AE in terms of the movement, but finishing-wise I daresay the AE is on par or if not extremely close.

Maybe come back to comment once you've actually had the chance to try on both, instead of commenting mindlessly.
Amanubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2022, 06:20 PM   #162
Noxa
"TRF" Member

It’s odd I’ve had two Royal Oak and a Safari and like you I liked them, was never in awe of them, never saw them as leaps and bounds above anything else to be honest, very much a hype watch to me at this point.
Noxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2022, 06:25 PM   #163
Noxa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanubis View Post
GP? On a different league? Yes, if you mean streets behind the AE in terms of fit, finish, attention to detail etc. The AP edges the AE in terms of the movement, but finishing-wise I daresay the AE is on par or if not extremely close.

Maybe come back to comment once you've actually had the chance to try on both, instead of commenting mindlessly.
Agreed, the AE isn’t really my thing but having handled one and being a Chopard fan in general but never owning one, the AE was a lot of watch to me. I didn’t see the AP as above it in terms of fit and finish personally, the GP I haven’t had experience with so I’ll leave that to others that have.
Noxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2022, 11:10 PM   #164
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ocean 2000
Ask yourselves the following question: if AP RO was available at retail would you choose GP over it?
Old 3 June 2022, 12:16 AM   #165
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkholeninja View Post
Ask yourselves the following question: if AP RO was available at retail would you choose GP over it?
It's a good question but I don't think we can answer honestly (even ask for that matter).
For if the GP, for example, was super hyped and the role reversed with AP, do you really think people would consider AP to be "better" ?

Let's take Grand Seiko, no doubt on par if not better finish, accuracy, attention to detail, etc than either AP or GP, yet barely sells for msrp. How many people would acknowledge GS's quality though ?
Old 3 June 2022, 12:24 AM   #166
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How many people would acknowledge GS's quality though ?
A lot. So much so that it has become a joke with all that zaratsu polishing crap lol.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2022, 06:39 AM   #167
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
A lot. So much so that it has become a joke with all that zaratsu polishing crap lol.
this is true !
Old 3 June 2022, 07:25 AM   #168
PhilLynott
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet marine
Neither the laureato or RO do it for me. The AE was the first of that world to stop me in my tracks and I finally gave in and I love everything about it aside from the boring movement that shouldn’t be see thru but thats no big deal. Its just such a well done watch. I find myself reaching for it most nights when i get home from work cause i just love looking at the thing on my wrist.

I was surprised when my girlfriend loved it too. I purposely didnt mention i was getting a new watch just wanted to see if shed notice. At the restaurant she stopped mid sentence and was like where did you get that one I love it! So non watch people love it too haha
Old 4 June 2022, 06:09 AM   #169
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ocean 2000
Quote:
It's a good question but I don't think we can answer honestly (even ask for that matter).
For if the GP, for example, was super hyped and the role reversed with AP, do you really think people would consider AP to be "better" ?

Let's take Grand Seiko, no doubt on par if not better finish, accuracy, attention to detail, etc than either AP or GP, yet barely sells for msrp. How many people would acknowledge GS's quality though ?
The question has nothing to do with hype, but rather merit. For me personally, AP’s unique and original design, which certainly influenced the design of Laureato five years later, as well as attention to detail & overall level of finish (e.g. Geneva seal movement) make it a winner.
Old 5 June 2022, 09:25 AM   #170
JParm

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanubis View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxa View Post
Agreed, the AE isn’t really my thing but having handled one and being a Chopard fan in general but never owning one, the AE was a lot of watch to me. I didn’t see the AP as above it in terms of fit and finish personally, the GP I haven’t had experience with so I’ll leave that to others that have.
I wouldn't pay much attention to the first comment above...he has made some outlandish comments in the past that he's been called out on by numerous members here.
Old 5 June 2022, 09:56 AM   #171
djnick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Funny you mention stolen ideas as genta just stole the royal oak case design from the zenith defy 1969
djnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2022, 02:54 PM   #172
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wouldn't pay much attention to the first comment above...he has made some outlandish comments in the past that he's been called out on by numerous members here.
ok , slow clapping for you for bashing GP on a GP thread and trying to win... Lol ... Stop getting so personal :)
Old 5 June 2022, 03:08 PM   #173
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnick View Post
Funny you mention stolen ideas as genta just stole the royal oak case design from the zenith defy 1969
I love my current generation Defy but Tbh the previous design is really no where what Royal Oak is.

Royal Oak is a master piece and again its different from the Laureto which is a beauty.

IMG20201111141857.jpgIMG20210705145828.jpgIMG20210613123301.jpg

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
Old 5 June 2022, 03:35 PM   #174
JParm

Quote:
ok , slow clapping for you for bashing GP on a GP thread and trying to win... Lol ... Stop getting so personal :)
At what point did I "bash" GP? Re-read my original comment in this thread (which you quoted) for your own sake.

If anyone is bashing anything, it's you on the AE...which again, a couple of others have called you out on for your aggressive statements.
Old 5 June 2022, 08:08 PM   #175
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
At what point did I "bash" GP? Re-read my original comment in this thread (which you quoted) for your own sake.

If anyone is bashing anything, it's you on the AE...which again, a couple of others have called you out on for your aggressive statements.
I am just commenting about watches here but you keep attacking me personally here... You know what you doing.

This thread is about GP Laureto where you commented that its not for you and AE is better etc. You have made a thread about AE , use that platform for its greatness. I didn't comment on your thread because its not fair even if I don't like that watch to comment on that specific thread. But guys on this GP thread really like GP and hence I gave my opinion on AE the watch... NoT you. I don't know you and don't even want to.
Old 6 June 2022, 04:31 AM   #176
djnick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I love my current generation Defy but Tbh the previous design is really no where what Royal Oak is.

Royal Oak is a master piece and again its different from the Laureto which is a beauty.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
Zenith Defy 1969

Royal Oak Sketch 1972:

Sorry but genta heavily borrowed the case design. Just because modern designs are influenced by these watches doesn;t mean they are copies
djnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2022, 07:01 PM   #177
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnick View Post
Zenith Defy 1969

Royal Oak Sketch 1972:

Sorry but genta heavily borrowed the case design. Just because modern designs are influenced by these watches doesn;t mean they are copies
Hmmm. I don't see it.

At a certain level you are right that all watches borrow a design from all other watches. But I don't really see RO borrowing from the Defy in this instance. The bracelet is not integrated into the case on the Defy; the multiple edges on the Defy case drastically differ from the round curves on the RO; different bezel shape and relative width (drastically impacting the proportion visual); no screws on bezel on Defy (a big part of the RO design)...

Maybe there are some similarities on a macro level in that they are both cushion shapes (sort of... if you strain the eye....), but otherwise, I don't see any common design language here. What am I missing?

That aside I would agree that the GP is not a copy of the AP and I know that because when I see the GP I feel nothing... When I see the AP I think... 'hey that's a pretty cool watch...'
Old 24 June 2022, 09:08 AM   #178
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkholeninja View Post
The question has nothing to do with hype, but rather merit. For me personally, AP’s unique and original design, which certainly influenced the design of Laureato five years later, as well as attention to detail & overall level of finish (e.g. Geneva seal movement) make it a winner.
I disagree. Yes Gerald Genta originally provided AP with this design, and GP was second to mimic it, but look at how successful PP and VC have also been with the same.

For me personally, I would like to see macro finish shots and see some accuracy results to agree that AP is "better". I just think there are a lot of brands making very similar quality watches, but the hype/price don't reflect that
Old 24 June 2022, 09:54 AM   #179
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
For me personally, I would like to see macro finish shots and see some accuracy results to agree that AP is "better". I just think there are a lot of brands making very similar quality watches, but the hype/price don't reflect that
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=843106

Post 2 shows some macro of my VC with a cheap lens from amazon. Finishing is objectively superior to GP. I've held a Laureto side by side on 2 occasions and it's nice but it is not comparable to a Geneve seal watch. GP is a lot of watch for the money in the current market, no doubt.
Old 24 June 2022, 09:28 PM   #180
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

https://imgur.com/uBhATWF

new release 50 pcs
salnuaimi is offline   Reply With Quote