The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 9 April 2022, 12:09 AM   #1
Ashj52
"TRF" Member

Patek 5205r Olive Guidance Please

Hi Everyone,

I would very much appreciate some help please. I am new to watch collecting, only have two Rolexes - picture attached.

I feel I am done with Rolex, love the brand but there are no other models which really appeal to me. I am not keen to purchase further Rolex models as investments either. I am on the waiting list for a Royal Oak, and also love the Patek 5205r. I was disappointed to hear the black was on the verge of being discontinued, so did not attempt to put my name forward. I was delighted to see last week the announcement of the Olive Dial version.

I discussed this on the phone to Patek who were very helpful indeed, and explained they will invite me in once they have a model for me to try (Should be end of the month hopefully). However was hoping for help with a couple of things please:

1) Is it worth the extra cost for the deployment clasp rather than the standard buckle? Which is more comfortable to wear?

2) When purchasing from Patek, is it standard to ask for a free spare strap? I am guessing discount is unlikely?

3) What are your thoughts on the olive dial? I have seen some YouTube clips and it looks great in my opinion.

Kind regards and thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed-3.jpg (162.9 KB, 2144 views)
Ashj52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 02:59 AM   #2
djman
"TRF" Member

Hi there, I think the new 5205r is one of the more beautiful annual calendars, I personally love the look of the olive dial. I too am waiting to actually see one in the flesh and I intend to try to order one as soon as I'm able.
Deployant - I've found this to be more comfortable than pin buckle, although this is a very personal thing, I'd advise you try both if you can;
Free strap - you're planning on spending in excess of £40,000 on a watch, just buy a second strap if you want one for a few hundred quid. I would say the PP straps are quite stiff, you may want to look for something aftermarket and softer;
Discount - you certainly won't get any kind of discount in the UK, where I am. To be perfectly honest you will likely struggle to even get on a list for this watch with the boutique or an AD unless you have a prior history with them and have bought Pateks in the past. If you are lucky enough to be able to buy one, certainly expect to pay the ticket price.
Hope that helps and good luck.
djman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 07:15 AM   #3
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Great choice and wish you the best in getting one. To answer of few your questions:

1) Really it comes down to personal choice as well as the strap you choose to wear. I have the deployment clasp in addition to the original pin buckle. I think the deployment clasp is like $2-3k. Mine came as a part of my watch purchase so I didn't really have to debate, but I do wear the pin buckle more as there simply more strap options (especially when I like short straps).

2) Discounts, expect zero on practically all models. Especially with the 5205 being probably the most popular AC.

Doesn't hurt to see if PP can throw in a strap, but based on the current demand, I would worry being allocated one first.

3) Would be interesting to see in person, but based on the images or videos (and this one at the 5:20 mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsxLPBqfCuY in particular Wei Koh describes it). The color appears more matte compared to the previous lacquer black dial. Comes down to personal taste but overall, a very pretty watch!
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 08:42 AM   #4
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Well seeing as I just took delivery of a 5205 with a deployant buckle I can say that the deployant looks a lot cooler, but the pin buckle is likely more comfortable, though each wrist is different and your experience is likely not going to be the same as mine. As every deployant, it needs to have a hinge somewhere and unlike with the clasps of metal bracelets, you can’t make that hinge disappear in the leather strap, so it protrudes inward and can push into one’s wrist.

But if I may, the watch itself is a wonderful choice.

As for the strap, don’t bother, as others have mentioned, you’ll be fortunate to find an AD who’ll sell you this watch in the first place.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 02:31 PM   #5
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
Great choice and wish you the best in getting one. To answer of few your questions:

2) Discounts, expect zero on practically all models. Especially with the 5205 being probably the most popular AC.
I would say the 5905 1/A is the most popular AC right now, but yes, the 5205 dimensions and price are loved by the general public than the PM models of 5905.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 03:24 PM   #6
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post
I would say the 5905 1/A is the most popular AC right now, but yes, the 5205 dimensions and price are loved by the general public than the PM models of 5905.
You hardly ever see the 5905 1a though, I suspect most are just sitting in the offering of grey dealers

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 10:54 PM   #7
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
I prefer the normal tang buckle for comfort but obviously the deployant provides alot of safety. Note they each take different types of strap, it will be designated either "D" or "B" for each type. The problem for me with the deployant is the length of strap. I have very small wrists and so I often use a "SHORT" strap. Even with the "SHORT" strap, one side is still alittle bit too long, meaning the deployant just edges abit on to one side. Its not unwearable or anything but not a "perfect" comfy fit. I wish it was a butterfly like the aquanaut but the design is super though. So if you average to larger wrists, I think you will be fine.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2022, 12:21 AM   #8
lbj_19
"TRF" Member

I am also looking into getting this olive green 5205r but need to see it in the flesh. Its hard to decide when all photos you see are from social media and influencers. Late last year I was contemplating on putting my name on the list for the 5205g but upon seeing it I wasn’t a fan of the navy dial. The finish for me was not the best.

As for the deployant, i am biased toward it as all my previous and current watches on straps use a deployant. I feel it makes wearing the watch faster especially during those mornings when you woke up a bit late and need to rush out the door. I also feel that with Patek’s prices, all watches on straps should be on deployant. If i do get lucky and get allocated this particular piece, I would definitely order the deployant buckle.
lbj_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2022, 10:08 PM   #9
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
It's beautiful, go for it. Pic credit: @watchwithme

277452266_170582325322282_6835653313906686507_n.jpg
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2022, 11:46 PM   #10
ryehn
"TRF" Member

I’ve been hunting down the black dial since 2017 to no avail. Hopefully I can add this as my first Patek piece

Feel free to follow along with my watch journey!
ryehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2022, 03:36 AM   #11
Ashj52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djman View Post
Hi there, I think the new 5205r is one of the more beautiful annual calendars, I personally love the look of the olive dial. I too am waiting to actually see one in the flesh and I intend to try to order one as soon as I'm able.
Deployant - I've found this to be more comfortable than pin buckle, although this is a very personal thing, I'd advise you try both if you can;
Free strap - you're planning on spending in excess of £40,000 on a watch, just buy a second strap if you want one for a few hundred quid. I would say the PP straps are quite stiff, you may want to look for something aftermarket and softer;
Discount - you certainly won't get any kind of discount in the UK, where I am. To be perfectly honest you will likely struggle to even get on a list for this watch with the boutique or an AD unless you have a prior history with them and have bought Pateks in the past. If you are lucky enough to be able to buy one, certainly expect to pay the ticket price.
Hope that helps and good luck.
Apologies for the delayed reply and thank you very much for your input. I love the look of the deployment clasp and will certainly ask/opt for the "upgrade' if possible. Yes that's a very good point about the straps. I did not realise this model was in such high demand - I am based in the UK too. I will visit the boutique and see what's possible. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post

1) Really it comes down to personal choice as well as the strap you choose to wear. I have the deployment clasp in addition to the original pin buckle. I think the deployment clasp is like $2-3k. Mine came as a part of my watch purchase so I didn't really have to debate, but I do wear the pin buckle more as there simply more strap options (especially when I like short straps).

Doesn't hurt to see if PP can throw in a strap, but based on the current demand, I would worry being allocated one first.

3) Would be interesting to see in person, but based on the images or videos (and this one at the 5:20 mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsxLPBqfCuY in particular Wei Koh describes it). The color appears more matte compared to the previous lacquer black dial. Comes down to personal taste but overall, a very pretty watch!
Thanks for your input! I have looked at virtually all the YouTube vids of this model and very much like the look of it! Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
Well seeing as I just took delivery of a 5205 with a deployant buckle I can say that the deployant looks a lot cooler, but the pin buckle is likely more comfortable, though each wrist is different and your experience is likely not going to be the same as mine. As every deployant, it needs to have a hinge somewhere and unlike with the clasps of metal bracelets, you can’t make that hinge disappear in the leather strap, so it protrudes inward and can push into one’s wrist.

But if I may, the watch itself is a wonderful choice.

As for the strap, don’t bother, as others have mentioned, you’ll be fortunate to find an AD who’ll sell you this watch in the first place.
Thank you and congrats on your new watch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
I prefer the normal tang buckle for comfort but obviously the deployant provides alot of safety. Note they each take different types of strap, it will be designated either "D" or "B" for each type. The problem for me with the deployant is the length of strap. I have very small wrists and so I often use a "SHORT" strap. Even with the "SHORT" strap, one side is still alittle bit too long, meaning the deployant just edges abit on to one side. Its not unwearable or anything but not a "perfect" comfy fit. I wish it was a butterfly like the aquanaut but the design is super though. So if you average to larger wrists, I think you will be fine.
Thats super helpful thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbj_19 View Post
I am also looking into getting this olive green 5205r but need to see it in the flesh. Its hard to decide when all photos you see are from social media and influencers. Late last year I was contemplating on putting my name on the list for the 5205g but upon seeing it I wasn’t a fan of the navy dial. The finish for me was not the best.

As for the deployant, i am biased toward it as all my previous and current watches on straps use a deployant. I feel it makes wearing the watch faster especially during those mornings when you woke up a bit late and need to rush out the door. I also feel that with Patek’s prices, all watches on straps should be on deployant. If i do get lucky and get allocated this particular piece, I would definitely order the deployant buckle.
Thank you - very helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
It's beautiful, go for it. Pic credit: @watchwithme

Attachment 1286601
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryehn View Post
I’ve been hunting down the black dial since 2017 to no avail. Hopefully I can add this as my first Patek piece
Old 7 May 2022, 06:17 AM   #12
Gva1985
"TRF" Member

Visited the Geneva Salon today and tried the new 5205 with olive dial. Stunning piece, asked to put my name down and I was told they hope to get it for me by the end of the year. Fingers crossed
Gva1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2022, 09:12 AM   #13
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

I think the 5205R is a beautiful model (I have the R with opaline white dial). Which variation you prefer is entirely based on your personal taste. The new olive green dial would not be my favorite, but again - the only thing that matters in that regard is your personal preference.

As for the deployant: I would highly encourage you to try one before you buy. A lot of people like it, but it never worked well on my particular wrist size/shape, so I despise deployants and much prefer the normal buckle. So definitely try before you buy - the deployant has to be comfortable for you, otherwise it defeats the purpose.

As for an extra strap: I have always requested an extra strap on a new Patek purchase, and in the past my AD has always thrown one in for free in as part of the deal. These days things may be different (especially when buying at a Patek Salon rather than AD), but I would say it doesn't hurt to ask.

Have fun making your decision.
MadSpaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2022, 08:05 PM   #14
mrhanx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashj52 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I would very much appreciate some help please. I am new to watch collecting, only have two Rolexes - picture attached.

I feel I am done with Rolex, love the brand but there are no other models which really appeal to me. I am not keen to purchase further Rolex models as investments either. I am on the waiting list for a Royal Oak, and also love the Patek 5205r. I was disappointed to hear the black was on the verge of being discontinued, so did not attempt to put my name forward. I was delighted to see last week the announcement of the Olive Dial version.

I discussed this on the phone to Patek who were very helpful indeed, and explained they will invite me in once they have a model for me to try (Should be end of the month hopefully). However was hoping for help with a couple of things please:

1) Is it worth the extra cost for the deployment clasp rather than the standard buckle? Which is more comfortable to wear?

2) When purchasing from Patek, is it standard to ask for a free spare strap? I am guessing discount is unlikely?

3) What are your thoughts on the olive dial? I have seen some YouTube clips and it looks great in my opinion.

Kind regards and thank you!
Hi OP! I am fairly new to Patek collecting too! I've tried on all the novelties in my local boutiques and am still drooling over how sophisticated this olive green dial is. Especially the dark green strap! It is not easy to capture the true colour but I believe it's a really nice piece, same as the other new launches this year.

To answer your questions:
1) I think it is worth it as it's just so cool. However, the Calatrava buckle that comes with it is much more comfortable. Strongly advise you to get it and add on an extra strap since deployant strap's length is different from your normal strap (shorter on one side). With that, you can swap over between each other easily.

2) Not possible here in my boutique. Just buy one, about 600-700 odd Singapore dollars.

3) Check out my photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg photo_2022-05-09 17.55.35.jpeg (103.2 KB, 1137 views)
File Type: jpeg photo_2022-05-09 17.55.31.jpeg (106.0 KB, 1150 views)
mrhanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 09:36 AM   #15
_Gatsby_
"TRF" Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
_Gatsby_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 12:29 PM   #16
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
buy an extra strap, buy both buckles. easy
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 03:41 PM   #17
will02020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCP View Post
buy an extra strap, buy both buckles. easy
I agree with this sentiment, I did the same for my 5205G
will02020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 09:44 PM   #18
JMac6
"TRF" Member

I bought extra strap and buckle with my 5205G-13 as well.
JMac6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2022, 02:13 AM   #19
mockingboy
"TRF" Member

Is this reference available to new customers / non-existing relationships?
mockingboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2022, 02:30 AM   #20
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by mockingboy View Post
Is this reference available to new customers / non-existing relationships?
It probably depends on your AD and the respective demand. My AD will typically take names for all dress pieces; however, I do know they have a backlog on the 5205 in general so I believe they stopped taking names. I'm sure if you are a top client they will adjust accordingly. My AD usually keeps it pretty fair.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2022, 01:38 AM   #21
lbj_19
"TRF" Member

Initially like it when I saw photos in the net but when I Saw this in person in the boutique I felt like its not for me. I like the dial and the RG combination but I think its just not for me. I know green dials are the thing now and I like most but this is a pass for me. When I placed it on my wrist while wearing casual clothes I felt it did not match, and as for formal wear its hard to match with the suits. I would prefer a more versatile watch which I can wear to most occasions.

I also think this one does not fit Patek’s classic look. For me I might go for the older discontinued models like the 5205r with the black dial.
lbj_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2022, 02:45 AM   #22
Ashj52
"TRF" Member

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all of your input and guidance, it is much appreciated.

Ibj_19 - I do agree the black dial version is probably more versatile.

I visited the store and have to say the staff at Patek are lovely. Very friendly, and the sales consultant has been exceptional, encouraging me to try on as many models as possible. No promises on whether I shall be allocated one, but this is something I understand and respect. I am new to watches and agree previous customers should be given preferential allocation.

The sales associate told me to just purchase the deployment clasp as they always have buckles in stock, and can add it on later if necessary.

I loved the watch in person and think photos do not quite do it justice. Photo attached!

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to reply!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-3720.jpg (171.7 KB, 566 views)
Old 22 May 2022, 06:53 AM   #23
wetsum3
"TRF" Member

I think the 5205 is good on the pin buckle. No need to go overboard with the deployant on this reference. Plus, the factory strap is nice and thin, so it is the most comfortable setup.
wetsum3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2022, 12:09 AM   #24
Ashj52
"TRF" Member

Sorry to bump this thread but was wondering is anyone has received this version of the 5205r? If so any thoughts on overall satisfaction of the unique colour combination?

I reached out to Patek a couple of times since I started this thread, they have continued to be very professional, helpful and have explained that this new colour has demand amongst previous collectors so the wait may be longer than initially expected.