The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 3 May 2022, 07:59 AM   #1
KWT
"TRF" Member

Golden Ellipse

Hi Guys,

I was wondering why the Golden Ellipse line is not as popular compared to other Patek models. The line is one of Patek's iconic models and the second oldest. What do you think of the Golden Ellipse? I really like the Platinum model with sunburst blue dial and considering buying one. My AD says they don't receive the platinum that often but will contact me when they do.
KWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2022, 01:48 PM   #2
scurfa
"TRF" Member

I have two and I love them, it’s classic Patek and the platinum is beautiful, I tried one about a year ago when my AD had one in but it was spoken for.
Old 3 May 2022, 06:25 PM   #3
EUguy
"TRF" Member

I have one and love it to bits. It is such an underrated watch and a true icon. I appreciate that it is not for everyone, certainly if you are purely into sports watches, but it is so beautiful in real life with quite some heft on the wrist and the sunburst dial… I wear it as a daily from time to time and that works perfectly for me (office environment).

I wear it with smart casual and with jeans as well and that works very well (IMHO), but not with short sleeves. For some reason it makes the watch look a bit odd and your arm/wrist meaty.
EUguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2022, 07:48 PM   #4
Vasco
"TRF" Member

This is a beautiful and pure design. It remains elegant, very understated and can serve either suits or very casual clothings thanks to nowadays' styling standards.

It has quite a unique style that makes it apart.

There's a review of the rose gold version here with casual clothings: https://www.hightime-reviews.com/pat...-and-pictures/
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2022, 08:50 PM   #5
Golden Ellipse
2024 Pledge Member

I’m kind of a fan
Golden Ellipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2022, 08:53 PM   #6
77T
2024 Pledge Member

It is a design that the Nautilus echoed later, albeit more symmetrically and with wide bezel. If I recall correctly, it is the thinnest case in the Patek lineup.

It is the classic definition of a 2-hand dress watch and beautifully executed.

But those factors have limited appeal in today’s watch collector - like the entire dress niche today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2022, 09:09 PM   #7
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like looking at them but don't think they are for me as an owner.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 12:42 AM   #8
scurfa
"TRF" Member

I wear mine when I’m working at home and every time I check the time I get a surprise at how beautiful it is
Old 4 May 2022, 12:48 AM   #9
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Golden Ellipse is a classic and definitely is overlooked by many collectors. I think pricing for the platinum version is a bit high as at that price level, there are many other watches with complications that can be acquired.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 01:01 AM   #10
huydoan
"TRF" Member

Watch: pp and only pp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
Golden Ellipse is a classic and definitely is overlooked by many collectors. I think pricing for the platinum version is a bit high as at that price level, there are many other watches with complications that can be acquired.
totally agree. that's why I think 5196P has the best value for money wrt platinum simple watch
huydoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 02:18 AM   #11
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by huydoan View Post
totally agree. that's why I think 5196P has the best value for money wrt platinum simple watch
Agree - 5196s, in general, along with the Ellipse are beautiful watches. Classics. Timeless.

They are some of the most historically imporant/influential references, too.
Old 4 May 2022, 12:34 PM   #12
DonLee
"TRF" Member

I think cuz it's too dressy, it's also very short in heft. A day-date is a huge chunk of gold around the wrist, the ellipse is a tiny watch that costs a lot. but if size of the watch a reason for less value, the aquanaut would break that reason.

if it's about style, then yes it's a very specific style of watch. A 5172G is a dress watch but it's kind of a hybrid between dress and sport. It will look good with a t-shirt and jeans, or in a suit. The ellipse, not so.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2022, 06:10 AM   #13
fluffybunny
"TRF" Member

The original is very small by modern tastes. But definitely unique. And oh so slim on the wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fluffybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2022, 06:15 AM   #14
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

I like them but for the most part I find the watch slightly dated looking.
Incroyable12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2022, 07:11 AM   #15
nickorette
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWT View Post
Hi Guys,

I was wondering why the Golden Ellipse line is not as popular compared to other Patek models. The line is one of Patek's iconic models and the second oldest. What do you think of the Golden Ellipse? I really like the Platinum model with sunburst blue dial and considering buying one. My AD says they don't receive the platinum that often but will contact me when they do.
I'd say not as popular because it's their most dressy timepiece. Most people nowadays prefer dressing like overgrown children and prefer more causal pieces to fit with their lifestyle.

The Golden Ellipse is a Patek icon, and actually the first collaboration between Patek and Gerald Genta. The Golden Ratio design aesthetic is a unique look that is timelessly attractive in it's simplicity and proportions.

I just picked one up this week, such an elegant and classy timepiece.

IWC: Portuguese Min. Repeater, Pilot 36, Pallweber RG, Vintage Pilot's, Ingenieur Patek: 5098P, 5738R, 5120G, 5172G JLC: Reverso Classic, Duomètre, Polaris Memovox 50th, MUTM Enamel AP: 15450 Lange: Lange 1, Copper Blue, Richard Lange, 1815 Up/Down Rolex: 116000, 116520, 126655, 124060, 116505, 228238 Panerai: Luminor 676 Omega: Aqua Terra, SM 300, Museum N°10, SM 321, CK 859 Cartier: Santos Medium, Tank LC VC: Cornes De Vache, Triple Calendrier, 222, 4300V/120R FPJ: CS LF: Classic Micro Rotor
nickorette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2022, 10:58 AM   #16
Al1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Watch
Agree with all posts above.

For me, more than anything it just comes down to size. Whilst I love mine, it’s just too small.

Al1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2022, 01:19 PM   #17
scurfa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickorette View Post
I'd say not as popular because it's their most dressy timepiece. Most people nowadays prefer dressing like overgrown children and prefer more causal pieces to fit with their lifestyle.

The Golden Ellipse is a Patek icon, and actually the first collaboration between Patek and Gerald Genta. The Golden Ratio design aesthetic is a unique look that is timelessly attractive in it's simplicity and proportions.

Congratulations this one is perfect

Old 7 May 2022, 01:21 PM   #18
EUguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickorette View Post

Congratulations. Very classy. I am sure you will enjoy it!
EUguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 10:20 AM   #19
rolexero
"TRF" Member

Fantastic piece, enjoy it in good health!

I think it's actually a good thing that the Ellipse is not an Instagram darling. You get to enjoy an amazing watch and it won't attract unwanted attention.
rolexero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 02:52 AM   #20
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
The platinum one is a beauty! I would really like one as well, but I would say since it's not in a traditional watch case/configuration that has certainly hinder the interest.

It's also not "cheap" which makes it a watch you can't typically say: "I'll just add it to collection anyways".
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2023, 06:17 PM   #21
KWT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
The platinum one is a beauty! I would really like one as well, but I would say since it's not in a traditional watch case/configuration that has certainly hinder the interest.

It's also not "cheap" which makes it a watch you can't typically say: "I'll just add it to collection anyways".
Although I bought the platinum model, I do believe the line is indeed over priced. However, this makes it more exclusive and it is a luxury item after all. The watch is so elegant, and the shape of the case is iconic. Not sure if it will become discontinues anytime soon. The platinum model is still in production since 2008.

IMG_5955.jpeg
KWT is offline   Reply With Quote