The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 May 2022, 05:08 PM   #1
mdl25
Banned

Why the 430 date?

I have a 15300 and would love a new RO but I also really like the CODE line! The perpetual is my grail but as I understand it it’s unobtainium. The date and time pieces are gorgeous…except that 430 date window which drives me crazy.

No-date feels like the obvious move for this line. I can’t imagine I’m alone in this opinion.

What’s next for CODE? What would you be excited about?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mdl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2022, 05:20 PM   #2
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
For the Code PC, isn't the date displayed in the 3 o'clock sub-dial?

Unless you are referring to the chronograph where the display is at 4.30 probably due to the positions of the 3 sub-dials that are laid out at 3, 6 and 9.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 12:52 AM   #3
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

I would personally love to see AP offer the CODE in SS with a ceramic mid-case. Obviously, this is something that can't just be done and production growth/capabilities need to be available first. If you look at the pricing difference between the RO in gold on strap vs SS non-jumbo and work backwards with the CODE pricing....a SS three handed CODE at the same price or close as a 15500 in SS feels like it could be successful and a great intro into the brand for first time buyers.

Right now, it sometimes feels like the CODE is harder to...justify..as a first AP when it costs so much more then the most desirable APs for a first time buyers. This is just my opinion though.
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 04:50 AM   #4
nsarkas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
I would personally love to see AP offer the CODE in SS with a ceramic mid-case. Obviously, this is something that can't just be done and production growth/capabilities need to be available first. If you look at the pricing difference between the RO in gold on strap vs SS non-jumbo and work backwards with the CODE pricing....a SS three handed CODE at the same price or close as a 15500 in SS feels like it could be successful and a great intro into the brand for first time buyers.

Right now, it sometimes feels like the CODE is harder to...justify..as a first AP when it costs so much more then the most desirable APs for a first time buyers. This is just my opinion though.
completely agree; code is objectively more expensive & less popular than the other ap lines. A SS code is needed, and I think we'll see one eventually.
nsarkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 05:10 PM   #5
mdl25
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
For the Code PC, isn't the date displayed in the 3 o'clock sub-dial?

Unless you are referring to the chronograph where the display is at 4.30 probably due to the positions of the 3 sub-dials that are laid out at 3, 6 and 9.

Yes but I’m talking about the time only and chrono pieces, all of which have the terrible 430 date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mdl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 11:14 PM   #6
Bpan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5548BA, 16233G
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl25 View Post
Yes but I’m talking about the time only and chrono pieces, all of which have the terrible 430 date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like Ichiran said, the chrono has the 4:30 date because of the totalizer/sub seconds dials. The date/time only probably has 4:30 for a consistent aesthetic with the chrono.
Bpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 03:31 AM   #7
AEV
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
At least the date window is centered perfectly between the 4 and 5 hour markers, not like the 38mm RO chrono.
AEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 03:49 AM   #8
robmarti
"TRF" Member

nice watches either way
robmarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 08:19 AM   #9
squall1
"TRF" Member

I prefer it were it is because I love the typography. Would hate to lose the 3 or 6. It looks fine where it is, but I could also do without because I don't really care about the date.
squall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 06:24 PM   #10
RiRi
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 36 Mint
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEV View Post
At least the date window is centered perfectly between the 4 and 5 hour markers, not like the 38mm RO chrono.
That is also why I much prefer the 39mm chronos from the first generation to everything that followed afterwards ...
RiRi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 06:32 PM   #11
AEV
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiRi View Post
That is also why I much prefer the 39mm chronos from the first generation to everything that followed afterwards ...
Indeed.

At least on the 41mm chrono they fixed the date window with the new in-house movement and open case back, which is a must IMHO for such a piece.

It will take them some time to redesign the movement for the 38mm chrono but I think eventually it will happen.
AEV is offline   Reply With Quote