The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 12 May 2022, 05:52 AM   #1
Draper144
Banned

Genuine Opinions on the Omega Speedmaster

Hello All,

I have always been a big fan of the Omega Speedmaster professional. Probably the most iconic chronograph of all time. I love the heritage and story behind the watch. Most people online would say that every “serious collector” needs to have one in their collection.

But after talking to a few watch friends it seems as though there are a lot of downsides to this piece. Bracelets are very cheaply made, little to no water resistance and up until the new movement it was kind of inaccurate.

I know this question is better suited for the omega forum. But I would love to get the rolex communities thought on the Speedmaster.

Is it a buy or something of a hype piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Draper144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 06:00 AM   #2
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I love my 1861 Speedmaster(the previous generation). It is true that the bracelets deserve some grief due to their limited adjustability but I remedied that with an adjustable clasp from another Omega model, sold and installed by the manager of the local Boutique. Mine is also very accurate, well within COSC specs. It’s not a dive watch but its 30m water resistance is fine for normal wear, showering, and even a casual swim.
I love mine and only wonder why I waited so long to get one.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 06:10 AM   #3
Manamana
"TRF" Member

What's there to worry about, it's not a dive watch 50m is more than enough. It's the iconic Speedmaster, no brainer go for it.
Manamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 06:15 AM   #4
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

I think they are best bought used. Then if you don't bond they are easy to move on. For me... I moved on. Beautiful dial but just felt big to me.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 06:18 AM   #5
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

I wear mine with dark brown leather straps usually. I’m never going to own a 4 digit Daytona and not even likely any other plexi model so this is a nice tie to the past (I’d prefer if Rolex just froze in 1983 and kept making watches the same way) and I don’t have to even worry about it based on replaceability. It’s very legible and I enjoy winding it.
francoamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 06:20 AM   #6
Greenwood_
"TRF" Member

Agree the bracelet isn’t on par with modern Rolex, but the speedmaster looks great on almost any strap and with 20mm lug width it provides a lot of opportunity for variety (especially as most Rolex are on metal)

Ω Speedy Pro Moon Phase 3575.20
Greenwood_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 06:23 AM   #7
axelbaws
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona w. B&P bro
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch300 View Post
I think they are best bought used. Then if you don't bond they are easy to move on. For me... I moved on. Beautiful dial but just felt big to me.

Agreed with buying them used. My first ”real” watch was a speedmaster I bought on Ebay from Japan back in 2011, for 1650$.
Ever since then I’ve thought that the speedmaster is arguably the best watch there is, from a design-story-price-quality standpoint.
axelbaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 06:24 AM   #8
jarecki
"TRF" Member

Watch: it.
I like Omegas, but the Speedmaster is not my thing, to me the Seamaster line is iconic Omega. I also need a date on my watch, so that rules most Speedies out anyway…
jarecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 06:26 AM   #9
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draper144 View Post
Hello All,
But after talking to a few watch friends it seems as though there are a lot of downsides to this piece. Bracelets are very cheaply made, little to no water resistance and up until the new movement it was kind of inaccurate.
Have you actually held the new speedy in your hand? The bracelet is much improved IMHO. It's very comfortable. Much narrower than before, I think the clasp is only 15mm wide. The accuracy is on par now. The sound it makes when you wind it is satisfying. I really want to add one to my collection.

There's enough water resistance that I plan to shower with it. In terms of accuracy, yeah I'd definitely buy the new version and not the old.
amphr1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 06:31 AM   #10
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
The Speedmaster Pro is an icon and a bargain. If you don't care for the bracelet, try the First Omega In Space version.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 06:53 AM   #11
5thLegion
"TRF" Member

311 owner - bought it nicely used this year. Currently my work/daily. Always wanted one. Love and hate it. For example, the manual wind = PITA but also a cool morning ritual with my coffee. No issue with accuracy, mine runs COSC. Bracelets is actually pretty comfortable to me, but minimal adjustments is a negative. Sub dials super hard to read, cellphone stopwatch way more useful. Oddly, I love the hesalite. Can't beat the history, heritage, and cool factor. I will always own one - total heirloom piece.
To be certain it is a watch-guy's watch at this point, but if I had only two watches it would be one of them.
5thLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 07:10 AM   #12
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
I had one. Liked it, but the bracelet felt a bit flimsy to me compared to Rolex. I heard the new ones have a better quality feel with the bracelets, but have not tried one on yet.
Old 12 May 2022, 07:11 AM   #13
kl07rph
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch300 View Post
I must agree as well. I took a small loss when I had a BNIB 1861 Speedy sapphire sandwich that I owned for 2 years. Awesome history no doubt, but just couldn't warm up to the uncomfortable "to-me" bracelet among many things.
kl07rph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 07:28 AM   #14
yowlie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 pumpkin
Classic that all watch collectors should at least try. The other downside is winding, but great watch. Seiko 6105 is another absolute classic and joy to wear.
yowlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 07:30 AM   #15
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manamana View Post
What's there to worry about, it's not a dive watch 50m is more than enough. It's the iconic Speedmaster, no brainer go for it.
This ^^^^

Plus I’ll add it’s just freaking cool looking.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 07:53 AM   #16
ROlesorusLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
I had a First Omega In Space for a couple years, cool watch, great history. But I just never got on great with it and wore it infrequently. Sold for a surprising small profit. Looking back, I don't really miss it.

Wear what you love, sell the rest. It's just metal and life's too short.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk
ROlesorusLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 08:05 AM   #17
HMHM
"TRF" Member

This is something you have to try before you form a judgement. The new 3861 Speedmaster is as good as any other chronographs on the market. The new bracelet is sturdy and well designed, something the 1861 was lacking. The lug to lug length has also been improved to suit smaller wrist. See through case back also allows one to admire the movement. Highly accurate movement with METAS certification. Coupled with the heritage of NASA moon expedition, the 3861 is amazing!

PS: Also wearing one won't make one fearful for their life!

IMG_6094.jpg
HMHM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 08:15 AM   #18
Son Goku
"TRF" Member

I love mine. Great chronograph, wears fantastically, and it’s an eye catching piece.

Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 08:33 AM   #19
Kevin1!!
"TRF" Member

I have the FOIS. Incredibly accurate and a great versatile watch. IMO any
collection should have this piece.

Kevin1!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 08:44 AM   #20
rockysw
"TRF" Member

I recently got the speedmaster 3861 after thinking about it for like 4 years. My only regret is that I should have bought it sooner. Obviously it matters a lot on personal taste but just looking down at it on my wrist it, I get a weird satisfactory feeling. Plus it has got a great history, it will never go out of style, the step dial and the recessed sub-dials look amazing and the list goes on.

Btw bracelet on the 3861 is pretty good not as good as some rolex bracelets perhaps but still very good, in particular the clasp is gorgeous. No issues with accuracy for me. I have not done a thorough comparison but it feels to me that it is as accurate as my daytona.
rockysw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 08:53 AM   #21
ROlesorusLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1!! View Post
I have the FOIS. Incredibly accurate and a great versatile watch. IMO any
collection should have this piece.

Mine also was the most accurate watch in my collection, can confirm.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk
ROlesorusLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 09:22 AM   #22
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Love mine. It performs very well and has lots of character. I truly enjoy owning and wearing it. A strong "buy" in my opinion.

AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 10:00 AM   #23
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draper144 View Post
I would be skeptical of your watch friends on this one.

1. Bracelets for the 1861 and 3861 are not cheaply made, they are just not to the comfort level of Rolex. In fact I’d argue they are built like a tank. If you get an Apollo 50th Anniversary bracelet (or Ed White) it not only is well made, but it is even more comfortable and visually striking than a Rolex oyster IMO. Ed White is easily on par with Rolex design tolerances.

2. Since when does 50m equate to little or no water resistance? It’s not going to disintegrate upon exposure to water, just don’t use the pushers under water. Only reason a Daytona has greater water resistance is because of it’s screw down pushers, rendering them functionally useless (it has the screw down crown, but without the screw down pushers as well it would not pass 50m).

3. The 321 movement was accurate enough for NASA to fly to the moon in the 60s, and accurate enough to time an Apollo 13 correction burn and that’s plenty accurate for me and my purposes on Earth. The 1861 and 3861 are more accurate than that.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 10:21 AM   #24
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Just to add to all the other positives that were mentioned before me, the new bracelet on the 3861 is amazing. It was a bit stiff when it was new but it has loosened up after a few weeks of wear, and it is just as comfortable as a modern jubilee. New unworn Rolex bracelets are stiff (and sometimes even squeak) as well but loosen up after some wear. The Speedy’s are also a joy to wear on leather straps
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 10:24 AM   #25
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 12:11 PM   #26
JC316
"TRF" Member

The 3861 bracelet is sublime! Honestly worth buying it for the bracelet alone!

Water resistance is good enough!
JC316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 12:34 PM   #27
mquarter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5-digit steel
The point about the bracelet (and I think the 1861 bracelet is ugly) is that it has even more versatility with straps and bracelets than Rolex. Not only can it style well with fabric and NATO straps, but there's also 2 reputable aftermarket bracelet brands (Uncle Seiko and Forstner) which give you value for money aesthetics. I personally have a Forstner flat link on my Tokyo 2020 speedmaster (which has the same case as 1861).
mquarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 01:10 PM   #28
Greglaw
Banned

I would say your friends are incorrect. But, just my opinion. I have 2007 broad arrow, have had the new moonwatch and older ones, ready to get a keeper soon, I like the idea of a speedmaster collection. So many cool models.
Greglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 02:14 PM   #29
daveswordfish
"TRF" Member

Speedy pro 3570 was my first serious watch. Still love it to death, despite the dozens I’ve bought over the years since.

If you like it, buy one used and try it. If you don’t love it, resell.

daveswordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 02:16 PM   #30
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post

3. The 321 movement was accurate enough for NASA to fly to the moon in the 60s, and accurate enough to time an Apollo 13 correction burn and that’s plenty accurate for me and my purposes on Earth. The 1861 and 3861 are more accurate than that.
I'm going to go Omega nerd. The 861 movement was used for the Apollo 13 burn.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote