The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 15 May 2022, 10:30 AM   #1
BMess
"TRF" Member

Speedmaster help

Can someone please tell me a little about the Speedmaster? I've seen this watch online for many years but was never interested in it. I tried on the newest model (caliber 3861 I believe) today and was very impressed. In particular I loved the hesalite model.

I know this is a super broad question, but I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions with respect to the newest model v. older models, hesalite v sapphire, etc.
Old 15 May 2022, 10:36 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Yes, it is a super broad question.

Speedies are classics, right along with Subs, 50 Fathoms, and others that actually tickle collectors and enthusiasts.
Old 15 May 2022, 10:48 AM   #3
BMess
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Yes, it is a super broad question.

Speedies are classics, right along with Subs, 50 Fathoms, and others that actually tickle collectors and enthusiasts.
Thanks. Any thoughts regarding hesalite v. sapphire? How has the caliber 3861 been updated as compared to the previous calibers? I really like the flat bracelet that comes on the Speedmaster 57. Will that bracelet fit onto the Speedmaster Moonwatch that I'm considering? And if not that exact bracelet, is there a similar bracelet that will fit?

This is the Moonwatch (hesalite) that I'm considering:

This is the 57 whose bracelet I like:
Old 15 May 2022, 12:01 PM   #4
Emiliomcol
"TRF" Member

Watch: Some
I am no expert by any means but I think it all depends on to you personal liking.

Hesalite more historical accurate you could say as for the actual moon watch but for real world usage more prone to scratch although can be polish out or replace, also closed case back.

Sapphire sandwich is more durable for daily wear and you get to see the movement as well if you like that and also protected on another sapphire crystal.

Me personally if I would to pull the trigger on a speedmaster would be definitely the sapphire sandwich.

Hope it helps and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Emiliomcol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2022, 03:51 PM   #5
logo
"TRF" Member

You have many options. 3861 vs 1861 is a personal decision. 3861 is the “better” movement, but the 1861 is a tried and true workhorse that has served astronauts in space.

Hesalite is more authentic to the original moonwatch, sapphire more resistant to wear and you get an open case back.

Bracelet, you can get an Apollo 11 50th anniversary bracelet to mount to the 1861 or 3861 by using uncle seiko endlinks. Or if you want it OEM on a speedmaster beyond the 57, you can get the Apollo 11 or the Ed White 321.

All great watches and there’s no wrong answer. Best of luck!

logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2022, 09:51 PM   #6
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
If you're leaning toward a new Speedmaster Pro with an acrylic crystal then I think you should go with it. I respect those who prefer the sapphire version, but I strongly prefer the Hesalite crystal and I think when you see your watch in other kinds of light it will reaffirm your decision

Order some Polywatch polish and use it on the crystal 2-3 times per year. Even if you don't see obvious scratches it will reward you with a renewed, warm glow.

I'm not sure exactly which bracelets fit the case properly, but if you'll take some time searching threads here and on other watch fora then you'll find tons of info on the topic.

I also recommend purchasing an appropriate Omega strap and deployant clasp for your Speedmaster. In the autumn and winter this is my favorite way to wear my watch.

IMG_0744 by Tony Cariffe, on Flickr

image1 by Tony Cariffe, on Flickr
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2022, 10:36 PM   #7
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I really like the pictures of the Speedmaster on the Alligator deployment strap.. It looks so good I went and bought one of my own for my Speedmaster. No bad move on the Speedmaster, only choices.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 12:38 AM   #8
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMess View Post
Can someone please tell me a little about the Speedmaster? I've seen this watch online for many years but was never interested in it. I tried on the newest model (caliber 3861 I believe) today and was very impressed. In particular I loved the hesalite model.

I know this is a super broad question, but I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions with respect to the newest model v. older models, hesalite v sapphire, etc.
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/om...er-3861-review

https://www.watchtime.com/reviews/ma...r-chronometer/

https://monochrome-watches.com/2021-...-review-price/
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 03:59 AM   #9
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
For me, the new version (3861) has not really been tested. The 1/861 versions logged hundreds if not thousands of hours in space and the new version has a long way to go and may never as more and more are moving to the other ani-digi omega versions for use in space. So for me while the 1861 may not have been to the moon it’s well tested in space and I would opt for the hesilite 1861. If one is going Speedmaster moonwatch, for me it’s the real deal and the sapphire versions homages go the actual moon watch. The vintage versions that have the 321 are fantastic but someone else’s legacy as they are vintage and have all the issues that go with vintage.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 11:40 PM   #10
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I owned the 1861 Hesalite Speedmaster which I recently flipped for the 3861 sapphire Speedmaster. The good thing about the Speedmaster professional is that you can't really go wrong. Hodinkee has numerous articles and videos comparing the technical aspects of the different Speedmasters across the years, but the truth is, unless you take a good look at the bracelet, at first glance it is really hard to tell what era a Speedmaster is from. I think that speaks to the timeless design.

Personally, I think the 3861 Speedmaster Professional is the best iteration of the watch. I really only selected the sapphire over the Hesalite to add another reason to justify the upgrade. Having owned a version of each, I think each has their respective charms. The Hesalite just feels closer to the tool that the astronauts used, but does feel "cheaper." I think that is the part of the charm. The sapphire model feels more contemporary and similar in quality to my other pieces, but it does lose some of that connection.

I went with the 3861 because the hacking seconds was a big deal for me. I like my watches to be as accurate as possible and this feature makes it much easier to be accurate in time setting. There are some subtle dial changes, but I could really take them or leave them.

The new bracelet is an upgrade compared to the previous, but I do think the taper is a tad too severe. I wish the clasp at least was a little more substantial with a micro adjust. And while some people are putting the Chronoscope clasp on their Moonwatch for this feature, it's only marginally longer and not any thicker. For me, it isn't worth it as I have a good fit with the bracelet adjusted as is. I understand that's not the case for all.

I too like the flat link bracelet. It would be my preferred bracelet for the Speedmaster. I do like the "Nixon" bracelet that comes stock, but as I mentioned above, I'd like less taper or a more substantial clasp. As of now, I am not sufficiently motivated to buy any of the flat link bracelets offered on any other models to use on my Speedmaster Professional. I also dislike that the Ed White and and 50th Anniversary flat link bracelets have the vintage Omega logo while the Moonwatch has the modern logo. I am neurotic and like everything to match and fit perfectly on my watches. Many people have made these flat link bracelets fit the 3861 Speedmaster with and without modified end links. I also understand slightly smaller spring bars need to be utilized.

What I am hoping for is that Omega releases a modern flat link bracelet (with microadjust) that is specifically made to fit the modern 3861 Speedmaster. Omega has released a steel version of the NTTD titanium mesh bracelet that people are buying and putting on their Seamaster 300Ms. Omega seems open to offering solitary bracelets as options for existing models. If they are listening, I'd be the first to buy one. Until then, I am very happy with the Speedmaster as is.

The top shelf Speedmaster right now, if you ask me, is the 321 Ed White version. It's not a pure homage (aside from the movement), but it seems to have everything you want. Unfortunately they are difficult to get. I'd be getting this model if it came in 42mm.
Ravager135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 06:12 AM   #11
BMess
"TRF" Member

Thanks all. I went with the caliber 3861 hesalite model:
Old 17 May 2022, 08:04 AM   #12
ZOOK

Congratulations excellent choice.
ZOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 08:29 AM   #13
Redfoot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos FXD!!!
That's a beauty!

Congratulations and hope you enjoy the heck out of it.
Redfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 07:52 PM   #14
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks all. I went with the caliber 3861 hesalite model:
Love it
Old 17 May 2022, 11:39 PM   #15
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

I have the 3861 Hesalite and I have worn it nearly every day since Jan '21. Congrats on yours.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 11:58 PM   #16
Emiliomcol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
I have the 3861 Hesalite and I have worn it nearly every day since Jan '21. Congrats on yours.

I know this question is subjective on the type of usage but how has the Hesalite hold for you in terms of scratch or something like that? Thanks in advanced !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 18 May 2022, 07:49 AM   #17
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliomcol View Post
I know this question is subjective on the type of usage but how has the Hesalite hold for you in terms of scratch or something like that? Thanks in advanced !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Oh, I literally scratched my crystal within 5 minutes of walking into my house... bumped it on the wall, as I was walking hastily down our hallway.

Other than that, no scratches, and I've since bumped the watch a few times.

I haven't done it, but I have read you can easily buff out scratches with Poly watch (or even toothpaste). The Omega boutique also mentioned that they would polish the crystal for free, but it needed to be sent away (for 12 weeks?), so I thought I could wait on that for now.

I originally wanted the Saphire, but I bought it when these were first arriving at the Omega Boutique. My salesperson called me to let me know they got the first Hesalite in, and my intention was to only go in and just look at it, but within 5 seconds of seeing it in the metal, I knew I had to have it.

I don't regret "settling" for the Hesalite. In the sun, the dial through the Hesalite is hard to look away from. It's mesmerizing.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 08:02 AM   #18
Emiliomcol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Oh, I literally scratched my crystal within 5 minutes of walking into my house... bumped it on the wall, as I was walking hastily down our hallway.

Other than that, no scratches, and I've since bumped the watch a few times.

I haven't done it, but I have read you can easily buff out scratches with Poly watch (or even toothpaste). The Omega boutique also mentioned that they would polish the crystal for free, but it needed to be sent away (for 12 weeks?), so I thought I could wait on that for now.

I originally wanted the Saphire, but I bought it when these were first arriving at the Omega Boutique. My salesperson called me to let me know they got the first Hesalite in, and my intention was to only go in and just look at it, but within 5 seconds of seeing it in the metal, I knew I had to have it.

I don't regret "settling" for the Hesalite. In the sun, the dial through the Hesalite is hard to look away from. It's mesmerizing.

Believe me I hear what you saying on the look of the watch, I am super clumsy and that’s why I am hesitant on the Hesalite but god to know that can be rather easy to buff out. !!!

Old 18 May 2022, 10:24 AM   #19
speedyomega
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
tbqh I am jealous of the new bracelet. I think that's such an improvement.
I have a hesalite, which I like. If memory serves, there was a version with hesalite on the front and sapphire on the back. That was the best of both worlds. I do think-- of ALL the watches out there-- this is one that deserves a display back. Chrono, good finish, and no rotor; kinda screams for it.
speedyomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 01:16 AM   #20
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

I have been considering the 3861 Sapphire for a while now and part of the attraction is the "see thru" back.

That being said, the "domed" Hesalite crystal looks pretty cool.

Is there a model, or potential for Omega to come out with a 3861 with a Hesalite crystal AND a "see thru" back?
JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 01:53 AM   #21
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post
I have been considering the 3861 Sapphire for a while now and part of the attraction is the "see thru" back.

Is there a model, or potential for Omega to come out with a 3861 with a Hesalite crystal AND a "see thru" back?
There were models that had this with 861 or 1861 movements many years ago. Hesalite Sandwich if you google it. Currently, the 321 is probably the closest as the sapphire crystal is very slightly domed with rounded edges to eliminate the sapphire milk ring.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 02:03 AM   #22
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Anyone have any insight on whether a Hesalite Sandwich will be offered in the 3861? What are the chances?

This is what could spur me into action!

I am also still divided on the bracelet or a leather deployant strap, but will probably get both anyway....
JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 02:18 AM   #23
Sherwood Hatter
"TRF" Member

I bought the Sapphire version of the 3861.
I was not looking for it in particular but once I tried it on it just felt right. The bracelet is very comfortable (although I would have preferred a proper micro adjustment).
I have been very impressed with the accuracy of this piece; it really stands out from others in my ‘collection’.
Despite recent price increases it remains excellent value for such a quality watch.
Sherwood Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 06:06 AM   #24
BMess
"TRF" Member

Thanks all.

Some pictures with a few of my other watches:

Now onto the hunt for a 321.
Old 19 May 2022, 10:13 AM   #25
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Great choice! Congratulations
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 11:13 AM   #26
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks all.

Some pictures with a few of my other watches:

Now onto the hunt for a 321.
Excellent
Old 19 May 2022, 11:17 AM   #27
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post

The transparent case-back that comes on the current Sapphire Sandwich should be a direct swap onto the standard Speedmaster Pro with the Hesalite crystal. It's probably difficult to find a source for that component right now, though.
Old 23 July 2022, 12:06 AM   #28
Bryanjchen
"TRF" Member

Would love to see AML in a hesalite or hesalite sandwich version. This would make me pull the trigger. Have been on the fence for my first moonwatch for a while now. Why is it that this is not an option as that would make it more “correct” vs the 105.012?
Bryanjchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2022, 01:02 AM   #29
mmbiker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
I was in similar situation as you, debating to go with Sapphire or not.

I ended up with Sapphire.

Is just better for daily usage.

mmbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2022, 09:02 AM   #30
NCD1979

I prefer the hesalite because it comes with a fully brushed bracelet. Not a fan of the polished links on the sapphire version. If not for the bracelet, I’d be all over sapphire.
NCD1979 is offline   Reply With Quote