The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 May 2022, 06:37 AM   #61
speedyomega
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWilson View Post

Here you go, save yourself some $$$ and, from the right distance, with the right lense flair, with the right sunlight, you'll be able to make people think you're wearing a 5167a!

And for the best part... it's in stock today and you can just buy it online!

https://www.piaget.com/gb-en/watches...watch-g0a47014
haha that's actually not terrible. There's something also pretty funny about wearing a knockoff that's still $10k.
speedyomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 06:39 AM   #62
speedyomega
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Was gonna say timing as well, as you know before watches took off as an asset class a few years ago, SS Rolexes and indeed plentiful 5164s and some 5167s were there for the taking in AD displays but those days are long over. I would not turn my nose at the new VCO, esp the sumptuous blue dial, they also come on rubber and leather straps and are very high quality pieces and certainly more ornate and intricate than a basic Aqua.
VCO is a really nice watch (222 is better) but good lucking finding those! That's another one of those "bruh don't you know you gotta buy $700k in watches a year to even get the chance to buy a blue Overseas???"

rubber straps are the best.
Old 18 May 2022, 07:03 AM   #63
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyomega View Post
Well I dont' want to sell it, that's the whole point.
MSRP: 20k
Grey: 80k

This is too big of a spread. It's PPP money or something. There's no logic. If I wanted to pay 80k for it, I'd go to an AD and buy 60k worth of watches, get on a list for the aquanaut, then sell the 60k watches. Or I'd link up with a whale and give him $30k as a finders fee and save $30k and some trouble. Both of those scenarios make more sense than buying a used $20k watch for $80k.

My honest theory is this is just PPP fraud money. Buy up watches, small, valuable, relatively fungible compared to art, can take out of country or stash 'em from the feds just in case.
Not to pile on what others have already said but it's a really basic understanding of how life works.

To address the fact you don't want to pay the spread. I agree, it's a crazy difference. However, you'll just pay some $30k finders. So using your numbers, in total you are paying $50k for something that can trade for $80k.

Why would anyone in their right mind do that? To help someone random? That individual might as well try to selling for it $60k? $70k? or even $80k? You are putting that individuals reputation on the line with their AD for a meaningless favor other than your enjoyment and a promise you won't flip. Or is it in their goodness of their hearts? (I think that ship has sailed for luxury good purchases). It's a very unnecessary task for someone to do for a stranger.

I'm sure there are some ADs that play the game, but realistically there are lots of people that want the same watch. Fraud, what fraud? This isn't a Rolex sports model where they might get one, two, three a month? Patek themselves are saying (i.e. not aiming to push that many steel models) and ADs typically get a couple of each model/ref a year, it's pretty easy to fill the list for Patek collectors alone plus you throw in other people like yourself who basically don't want to buy an overpriced Rolex when they can get a Patek (if it as MSRP).

What your motivation is or your financial capability is irrelevant. Getting a watch that a lot people want from an AD (with no prior relationship) at MSRP is near impossible at the moment.

It's either you play the game, pay the price, or simply just move on. Other than maybe an introduction or recommendation, asking someone to secure a watch for you is a lot.

Again timing is everything, you simply missed the window. But given the circumstances and logic, if the watch was trading below MSRP you won't pay MSRP anyways. It's a constant chase.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 07:30 AM   #64
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

1. Have we entered troll territory yet?

2. I just realized I’ve gotten the notion of charity all wrong. It flows up to the kinda wealthy OP instead of down to those in need.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 07:56 AM   #65
speedyomega
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
1. Have we entered troll territory yet?

2. I just realized I’ve gotten the notion of charity all wrong. It flows up to the kinda wealthy OP instead of down to those in need.
1. let's compare what each of us give to charity each year

or

2. you can keep whining in your Patek Philippe forum about how you're such a righteous selfless person.

The number of people in here who are so offended at me trying to save money is amazing. Bunch of snobs.

The fact is, I will get one for MSRP. I'm resourceful. And if this forum is the typical PP customer base, I think the very fact I'm more fun than you guys might be the only edge I need with an AD.
Old 18 May 2022, 08:03 AM   #66
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Kinda love this guy!! ������. Hey OP, when you score you’re 5167 get me a 5212 too!
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 08:15 AM   #67
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:

or

2. you can keep whining in your Patek Philippe forum about how you're such a righteous selfless person.

The number of people in here who are so offended at me trying to save money is amazing. Bunch of snobs.

The fact is, I will get one for MSRP. I'm resourceful. And if this forum is the typical PP customer base, I think the very fact I'm more fun than you guys might be the only edge I need with an AD.
All the best! Let us know when you get one!
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 08:27 AM   #68
joe&joe
"TRF" Member

Ok, there are two possible reasons to these discussions:

1) OP is a massive troll

2) OP is not the sharpest tool in the shed

Honestly dude, you complain that you would not consider wearing the submariner, because is overhyped and you are "low" profile, yet your are crying that you cannot buy at list an even more overhyped watch like the Aquanaut.
Reality check, if you are not an existing Patek AD customer/willing to start becoming one or cannot afford/want to pay gray market for the aquanaut, you will not own one in the foreseeable future.
Give up and move along
joe&joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 08:45 AM   #69
speedyomega
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe&joe View Post
Ok, there are two possible reasons to these discussions:

1) OP is a massive troll

2) OP is not the sharpest tool in the shed

Honestly dude, you complain that you would not consider wearing the submariner, because is overhyped and you are "low" profile, yet your are crying that you cannot buy at list an even more overhyped watch like the Aquanaut.
Reality check, if you are not an existing Patek AD customer/willing to start becoming one or cannot afford/want to pay gray market for the aquanaut, you will not own one in the foreseeable future.
Give up and move along
*restates the exact same thing as 30 other people*
"tHiS gUy's a TroLl!"
Old 18 May 2022, 08:46 AM   #70
speedyomega
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
All the best! Let us know when you get one!
Old 18 May 2022, 09:09 AM   #71
Fabes
"TRF" Member

Can someone tell me how...

Quote:

or

Good luck my guy! Honestly interested to see if it works out. Kudos if it does
Fabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 09:41 AM   #72
KVNNSCHNG
"TRF" Member

I’m loving this thread! Needs some photos…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18 May 2022, 10:08 AM   #73
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
lol because they're bored and when you'er that rich sometimes you just dgaf?
Another offer for the "whales" around here in DGAF mood - I'll gladly take the $60k in straight cash, no detour to the AD needed. Just PM me.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 10:18 AM   #74
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well I dont' want to sell it, that's the whole point.
MSRP: 20k
Grey: 80k

This is too big of a spread. It's PPP money or something. There's no logic. If I wanted to pay 80k for it, I'd go to an AD and buy 60k worth of watches, get on a list for the aquanaut, then sell the 60k watches. Or I'd link up with a whale and give him $30k as a finders fee and save $30k and some trouble. Both of those scenarios make more sense than buying a used $20k watch for $80k.

My honest theory is this is just PPP fraud money. Buy up watches, small, valuable, relatively fungible compared to art, can take out of country or stash 'em from the feds just in case.

Just FYI. I don’t think getting $60k of other Patek watches will score you a 5167a. Not even double that. Maybe a year ago but not right now.

One data point is that even “other undesirable “ watches are quite desirable today. The new 6119R already has quite a wait.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 10:21 AM   #75
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
A certain pot-bellied internet watch character from Australia claimed that he received a SS skydweller from his fan in UK, as a gift. I'm not sure of the veracity of his claim but he did show said watch in his video and a picture of the donor. It's bizarre why one will gift stranger a hot Rolex, but if it is true, it is simply quite amazing.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 10:39 AM   #76
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
A certain pot-bellied internet watch character from Australia claimed that he received a SS skydweller from his fan in UK, as a gift. I'm not sure of the veracity of his claim but he did show said watch in his video and a picture of the donor. It's bizarre why one will gift stranger a hot Rolex, but if it is true, it is simply quite amazing.
Let me guess - if it’s a certain guy with the initials P.P, I will take whatever he says with a pinch of salt!
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 10:49 AM   #77
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
Let me guess - if it’s a certain guy with the initials P.P
Bingo
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 04:03 PM   #78
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yes, you go girl. I’m sure you’re the first ”sorta rich” guy with no collecting ambitions, who only want the cheapest sport Patek and think that you have an edge in being funny/charming when harassing ADs will make you golden. What a brilliant plan.

Just make sure you don’t get to that sweet sweet super saver MSRP deal but lose out on $60K worth of dignity, time and/or virginity in the process.
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 04:46 PM   #79
joe&joe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
*restates the exact same thing as 30 other people*
"tHiS gUy's a TroLl!"
Well, I gave two options did I not?

I guess now we know which one it is
joe&joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 05:06 PM   #80
ramenlover
"TRF" Member

If someone asks for an example of the Dunning-Kruger effect, just show them OP’s responses in this thread.
ramenlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 08:55 PM   #81
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
Whenever I hear someone talk about imposter syndrome, I remind myself of the Dunning-Kruger effect and wonder how to make sense of things. Kudos to the forum for a Dunning-Kruger reference, there aren’t enough of them!
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 10:31 PM   #82
Arthur Daley
"TRF" Member

I'm not trying to embolden you, OP, as conventional wisdom and the current market suggests obtaining a 5167A with no purchase history or ongoing desire to amass a collection is an exercise in futility.

That said, and I know this is 3-4 years ago under different market conditions, I did obtain a 5167A from an AD as my first Patek at MSRP. I had no prior purchase history with them, but they could see/hear that I liked watches and had collected a few higher end ones. They could also see that I was clearly interested in learning more about Patek, and undoubtedly felt that if they came through on the 5167A it would lead to more purchases (it did).

Again, this was 3-4 years ago. At the time, there was a 5 year wait for the watch at the Paris boutique (I bought in the US).

In my opinion, this is the way Patek intended it: pull in customers with the less expensive, lower margin steel watch, and upsell over time.

Oddly, the opposite has happened - and you can bet that the men and women at Patek would love us all to want the more complicated, higher margin pieces. Of course, most don't (at least initially), so instead the cheaper watches are used as a reward for buying the more expensive ones. Silly when you think about it.

All that being said: if I've learned one thing it's that my 5167A gets the least amount of wrist time of my often-worn watches. It's a good watch, but I don't find it nearly as "pretty" or "interesting" as others.

So it may be worth exploring your true motive for getting a 5167A. Most want one because everyone wants one. Few, I believe, want it for its history, aesthetic, proportions or anything else. If you're in the former camp, you might get bored of it someday. So it would be worth spending some time thinking about what you really, truly, honestly are looking for in a watch.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-F700U1 using Tapatalk
Arthur Daley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 11:43 PM   #83
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I, frankly, don't want to "build a relationship" with a dealer.
Then grey it is, that's the choice you made considering the current market conditions. Had one many years ago, was $17k. Wife got the smaller mechanical version for around $12k. Sorry you waited so long, yet as you know the market has changed.

Quote:
I just want the 5167A and I wanted it for ages......
Look fwd to wrist shots when you get it.

Quote:
This is too big of a spread. It's PPP money or something.
100% agree the market has lost its mind, yet currency is getting worth less so today's market is what it is. Since you're still young, perhaps consider getting a job as close to where currency is created, as that's the best time to get it before everyone else does.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 11:46 PM   #84
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

Maybe I’m jaded, but I think the OP is trolling. Everything he posts is painful to read and just reeks of BS. Look at the posting history and it’s all this kind of nonsense. Thankfully, while the rest of this website has been mostly this kind of stuff, it’s a shame to see it in this section, which has mostly been serious posts by serious enthusiasts.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 12:04 AM   #85
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
@tricolore66 I agree 100% this OP already stated blatantly he is "kinda rich" if he truly is kinda rich he would put his money where his mouth is and buy the 5167a today on the secondary at whatever price and move on. This supposed baller must not be "kinda rich"
np2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 12:40 AM   #86
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore66 View Post
Maybe I’m jaded, but I think the OP is trolling. Everything he posts is painful to read and just reeks of BS. Look at the posting history and it’s all this kind of nonsense. Thankfully, while the rest of this website has been mostly this kind of stuff, it’s a shame to see it in this section, which has mostly been serious posts by serious enthusiasts.
I agree with this. I am certainly "Patek-curious" but really thought if I got one, it would be an entry level one. Now, as mentioned above, the entry level Pateks require grand complication buying history! But I frequent this sub-forum because it's almost exclusively real watch aficionados, and there's very little of the investment theme/AD strategy/etc. BS that permeates the Rolex sub-forum. So it's a shame to see this here.
Old 19 May 2022, 01:06 AM   #87
RolexADreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Chrono Perp
Got it from a whale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVNNSCHNG View Post
I’m loving this thread! Needs some photos…

Old 19 May 2022, 02:22 AM   #88
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Quote:

For a guy who is resourceful, you do appear pretty desperate to get a on a forum looking for a whale to sponsor you.

Now you ended up going full circle on relying back to yourself. It's a circular discussion now isn't it? People on the forum have been telling you its either the long shot way of sweet talking an AD, buy secondary, or move on. But you've only been persistent that there is only one "right" way and in denial that your odds are low or near impossible.

I wish you luck, but with your confidence, you should just make it happen already.

PS: you aren't really too fun if you rubbing the majority of the people on this subsection the wrong way just with the way you talk. As much as we fall under the same category of Patek or watch enthusiasts, almost all of us are from a different city, country, demographic and age group (be it I'm probably a similar age as you), but we all end up voicing a similar concern.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 03:40 AM   #89
Apheaven
"TRF" Member

Can someone tell me how...

Quote:
Any of you whales wanna help me out on a hookup? Think of it as charity!

Let me see how I can help you…burn all my relationships. That’s basically what comes to my mind after reading this.

OP - I am sure you are a nice guy, but I just don’t identify with the way you comport yourself….would you want to help you, based on your responses here?

You have much to work on my young Skywalker before being bestowed with such a charitable act resulting in such ‘hookup’.

Apheaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 03:45 AM   #90
dismail
"TRF" Member

OP gives off “nice guy” energy. Where they think all the women reject them because they’re too “nice” when the reality is they’re so snarky and arrogant.

Not to sound pretentious but you don’t seem to carry the class and respect that Patek Philippe expects from its original owners.

dismail is offline   Reply With Quote