The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 19 May 2022, 03:45 AM   #91
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I'm sorry, I gotta side with the OP here. He comes on a watch forum to discuss liking and acquiring a watch. His attitude is yes, a little tongue in cheek and flippant. But he IMMEDIATELY starts getting scolded about how you can't have that watch by everyone. It's like you guys have your little club and don't wanna let anyone else in the door. No POORS allowed!!!
BTW: ABSOLUTELY some of this is caused by the PPP money. Things were annoying and it was hard to get a rolex or Patek. But the recent couple years craziness in prices and unavailability is 100% correlated with flooding of 10 trillion into the market (or whatever it was). I think OP was called clueless on that one. Yes the fire was already burning, but a big can of gasoline was thrown on it in 2020.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 03:46 AM   #92
Locust
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismail View Post
OP gives off “nice guy” energy. Where they think all the women reject them because they’re too “nice” when the reality is they’re so snarky and arrogant.

Not to sound pretentious but you don’t seem to carry the class and respect that Patek Philippe expects from its original owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And I rest my case. Get over yourselves
Old 19 May 2022, 03:55 AM   #93
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
I'm sorry, I gotta side with the OP here. He comes on a watch forum to discuss liking and acquiring a watch. His attitude is yes, a little tongue in cheek and flippant. But he IMMEDIATELY starts getting scolded about how you can't have that watch by everyone. It's like you guys have your little club and don't wanna let anyone else in the door. No POORS allowed!!!
BTW: ABSOLUTELY some of this is caused by the PPP money. Things were annoying and it was hard to get a rolex or Patek. But the recent couple years craziness in prices and unavailability is 100% correlated with flooding of 10 trillion into the market (or whatever it was). I think OP was called clueless on that one. Yes the fire was already burning, but a big can of gasoline was thrown on it in 2020.
I don’t have problem with him trying his luck to get an Aquanaut. We all have to start somewhere. Most people here are letting him know that it’s difficult. What really annoyed me (and maybe some others) is how he said that wearing a submariner is EMBARRASSING. Coming to the ROLEX forum, and trashing Rolex’s staple/iconic watch as an EMBARRASSMENT… that’s a really nice way to get the conversation going.

For context, the submariner has a history/heritage going back to 1952/1953, with real world applications such a Mil Sub & Comex, and also subsequently gave rise to modern variants such as the Seadweller and James Cameron. Compared to the Aqauanut which was only introduced in 1997, the submariner had gone through iterations and still remain the gold standard for dive watches. Yet OP thinks that it’s a shambles and does not want to be seen wearing one. If that’s the case, really makes me wonder if he actually wants an Aquanaut because he enjoys the watch, or he wants it as a bragging rights? I won’t put words into his mouth but a person who doesn’t appreciate the submariner clearly doesn’t know anything about watches.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 04:06 AM   #94
Locust
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
I don’t have problem with him trying his luck to get an Aquanaut. We all have to start somewhere. Most people here are letting him know that it’s difficult. What really annoyed me (and maybe some others) is how he said that wearing a submariner is EMBARRASSING. Coming to the ROLEX forum, and trashing Rolex’s staple/iconic watch as an EMBARRASSMENT… that’s a really nice way to get the conversation going.

For context, the submariner has a history/heritage going back to 1952/1953, with real world applications such a Mil Sub & Comex, and also subsequently gave rise to modern variants such as the Seadweller and James Cameron. Compared to the Aqauanut which was only introduced in 1997, the submariner had gone through iterations and still remain the gold standard for dive watches. Yet OP thinks that it’s a shambles and does not want to be seen wearing one. If that’s the case, really makes me wonder if he actually wants an Aquanaut because he enjoys the watch, or he wants it as a bragging rights? I won’t put words into his mouth but a person who doesn’t appreciate the submariner clearly doesn’t know anything about watches.
LOL, yeah that was stupid. If you don't appreciate the history of the sub, or speedmaster, or 62mas or etc. Yeah, don't have much use for that. My reaction to his tone was more amusement than anything. We are at a point on this forum (and have been for a couple years) where going into the rolex section is difficult because of "investment' and "waitlist" threads. I found his brashness to frankly be kinda hilarious. something different at least from an entertainment value.

What I don't like is calling people "clueless", "no class" , or bringing up dunning-kruger. (don't think it's used properly here btw)
Old 19 May 2022, 05:05 AM   #95
pav333hp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyomega View Post
The Overseas is okay. The Royal Oak is not cool, and AP is the worst retail experience in the universe.

I'm not really like 8 million other people. I want one watch and it's impossible to get it because all these grey dealers somehow scoop them all up.

I think most big name watches will eventually become so associated with hype that there will be an inversion in what's fashionable. The Submariner is already getting to be embarassing to be seen wearing. I just don't like waiting I guess.
You serious??? I think MANY people will disagree (with both - your assessment about Royal Oak not being cool and that AP has the worst retail experience in the universe)... LOL... But hey, good luck getting your Aquanaut. I'm sure you'll get it VERY soon... from AD... at retail... without tax... hand delivered by Mr. Stern himself...
pav333hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 05:19 AM   #96
speedyomega
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Well, all I can say is I'm not going to keep responding to the same message over and over every time a different 55-year-old in a golf polo with hair plugs posts it.

"OP you're an idiot snobby poor loser who doesn't appreciate the process. We bought our watches way back in 2016 as special 3rd divorce presents to ourselves so we don't have time for you, just go buy it on the grey market from the sellers we're bitching about in our other threads. PS the submariner is issued to every wall street analyst out of college and that MAKES it COOL and you just don't get it!"

Okay I read it. No need to resend.
speedyomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 05:29 AM   #97
Locust
"TRF" Member

I don’t know how I’m the only one that thinks that’s hilarious
Old 19 May 2022, 07:12 AM   #98
sski
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛ & ✠
Icon13

this is the Patek subforum..... keep it classy OP, keep it classy! So far I doubt Mr. Stern would approve.
sski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 07:14 AM   #99
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, all I can say is I'm not going to keep responding to the same message over and over every time a different 55-year-old in a golf polo with hair plugs posts it.

"OP you're an idiot snobby poor loser who doesn't appreciate the process. We bought our watches way back in 2016 as special 3rd divorce presents to ourselves so we don't have time for you, just go buy it on the grey market from the sellers we're bitching about in our other threads. PS the submariner is issued to every wall street analyst out of college and that MAKES it COOL and you just don't get it!"

Hilarious cope.

You walked into a brand store that basically sells nothing but Royal Oak. But you totally didn’t want one anyway.

Rich Wall Street assholes getting Sub bad and gauche. No college dude wanting a sub good.

The fox who longed for grapes, beholds with pain
The tempting clusters were too high to gain;
Grieved in his heart he forced a careless smile,
And cried, 'They’re sharp and hardly worth my while.
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 07:23 AM   #100
sski
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛ & ✠
Icon13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismail View Post
OP gives off “nice guy” energy. Where they think all the women reject them because they’re too “nice” when the reality is they’re so snarky and arrogant.

Not to sound pretentious but you don’t seem to carry the class and respect that Patek Philippe expects from its original owners.

haha..... great comedy in the Patek subforum of all places!
sski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 10:26 AM   #101
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Quote:

Wow, that escalated quickly. OP results to: stereotypes and ageism when he/she doesn’t get to cut the line by begging
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 12:18 PM   #102
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
Not true, most of the comments at first was sound, honest advice. It's only after he refutes and pokes fun at our honest suggestions, saying how they are ridiculous and that he has a better idea, for example, paying off a random whale $30k to fetch the watch for him is better than looking for a watch on the grey market. Or that wearing hyped watches like a Submariner is embarrasing, the irony is that he's chasing a hyped watch.

In general I think TRF is quite classy. This thread definitely got a bit out of hand.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 12:32 PM   #103
Fabes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post
Not true, most of the comments at first was sound, honest advice. It's only after he refutes and pokes fun at our honest suggestions, saying how they are ridiculous and that he has a better idea, for example, paying off a random whale $30k to fetch the watch for him is better than looking for a watch on the grey market. Or that wearing hyped watches like a Submariner is embarrasing, the irony is that he's chasing a hyped watch.

In general I think TRF is quite classy. This thread definitely got a bit out of hand.
+1

Been following this thread since the beginning due to curiosity on how it will pan out but honestly I just come for entertainment now .
Fabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 01:27 PM   #104
jesulaiman
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 3800, AP 14800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabes View Post
+1

Been following this thread since the beginning due to curiosity on how it will pan out but honestly I just come for entertainment now .

Same here. So fun following the thread 🫢

jesulaiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 02:10 PM   #105
maecenas
"TRF" Member

Considering there’s a “Rolex collector here, decided I want a Patek, not for hype but I’ve fallen in love with the [nautilus|aquanaut]” thread here literally every week, I have to say, this episode has at least been entertaining.
maecenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 02:19 PM   #106
AbeFroman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBDOC View Post
Hilarious cope.

You walked into a brand store that basically sells nothing but Royal Oak. But you totally didn’t want one anyway.

Rich Wall Street assholes getting Sub bad and gauche. No college dude wanting a sub good.

LMAO, those posts and the one specially wanting a sub. You can’t make this stuff up.
AbeFroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 02:28 PM   #107
Ellz
2024 Pledge Member

OP and this thread makes me laugh and cry and irritates me and makes me smile :-). That’s what’s great about the forum!
Ellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 03:09 PM   #108
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellz View Post
OP and this thread makes me laugh and cry and irritates me and makes me smile :-). That’s what’s great about the forum!
Least you could do is to get the man a 5167A for his troubles.
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 06:21 PM   #109
joe&joe
"TRF" Member

Just resharing, but I doubt he gets it:

joe&joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 07:36 PM   #110
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBDOC View Post
Least you could do is to get the man a 5167A for his troubles.
And the thread ends with a happy ending!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 07:50 PM   #111
David001
Banned

These threads are like a social science experiment :D

This guy wanting an Aquanaut might get one, he might even get a whole case of them, and then he'll be the same sort of person he was before, but now he'll be wearing an Aquanaut or Nautilus.

The only difference between him and some of the people showing them off is that he doesn't have one yet.

As soon as he gets one he'll be welcomed and patted on the back by people just like him and ironically that's the reason it might be embarrassing to wear a popular Rolex or Patek, it's because people like him now own them.
David001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 09:38 PM   #112
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Wow. Thought I would come over to the Patek subform, for a change of pace. But looks like the same old, albeit at a higher price tag.

On the one hand I feel sorry for those getting into the hobby now. It is a difficult market. Made all the harder for the price of admission of "relationship building."

On the other hand the sense of entitlement for highly sought models at MSRP amazes me. As do remarks that wearing a lowly submariner is "embarrassing."

To call these attitudes first world problems does not even begin to fill the bucket. I am at heart a capitalist and get it that people work hard to be able to buy a five figure (or six) watch. And I applaud them for their acumen and work ethic. But how this sense of entitlement can exist - to buy the latest hot model luxury item at MSRP -while many struggle to put food on the table amazes me.

But I digress. Been in the hobby since the 90's. Watches fascinate me me. And I love learning about them. And buying what I can afford to wear and appreciate.

I will admit that I get frustrated at being put on a waitlist for the watch I want. But I am grateful that if I get the call I can afford to purchase the watch. For there are many people who cannot.

And none of this changes my love of watches, their history, and their craftsmanship. Even if I cannot afford some models. And even if I may not get the call for the ones I can afford.

OP, enjoy the hobby.
Old 19 May 2022, 10:26 PM   #113
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Been in the hobby since the 90's. Watches fascinate me me. And I love learning about them. And buying what I can afford to wear and appreciate.

I will admit that I get frustrated at being put on a waitlist for the watch I want. But I am grateful that if I get the call I can afford to purchase the watch. For there are many people who cannot.

And none of this changes my love of watches, their history, and their craftsmanship. Even if I cannot afford some models. And even if I may not get the call for the ones I can afford.

OP, enjoy the hobby.
^^^^ 100000000000% agree. It saddens me that the 'mood' of true enthusiasts have to deal with the flood of free currency that has, in a sense, utterly ruined the hobby and turned it into a 'cash cow market'.

Like you, due to longstanding relationships we simply have to wait a bit longer and that's fine. i truly do feel for newcomers who love timepieces and have to deal with the current too much currency chasing too few goods of intrinsic value that includes fine timepieces.

Let's hope once the big crash happens things get back to normal in a year or three.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 11:45 PM   #114
classicalthunder
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by pav333hp View Post
that AP has the worst retail experience in the universe)...
Not defending OP here, but definitely agree with him about AP

Just an N of 1 here, but I was very turned off by my experience overall at the NYC boutique as well.

I had heard here that since it was an actual AP run boutique, that their waitlist was a true waitlist (i.e. express your interest, wait however long to be allocated, place a deposit when they’ve allocated you one, pick it up in the next year or so, etc.)

Had an initial appointment in August, had a nice convo with the SA. Told him I was interested in a Royal Oak for a milestone birthday (40 or 45) depending on the time line. He brought out a show piece and some ROOs as well. Was told that I need to stay in touch, visit, etc to keep myself active on “the list”

Back up in October, email the SA directly about scheduling a follow up meeting. No response. Skip the boutique, had other things to do. Back up in December, email SA 2-3 times. No response, don’t go.Back up in March, email SA 2-3 times, no answer. Call 2-3 times, asked for SA by name told he was busy and would call back, never did. Said to hell with AP and decided to abandon ship.

To contrast this with my FP Journe experience - in the midst of the Omicron lockdown, they reached out to me to schedule a call to touch base since they realized people weren’t able to trek into the boutique. Chatted about the recent livestream with the head of North America operations, reconfirmed my interest in a CS, see how things were going otherwise.

Its funny illustration of how you can have great customer service and not make a person feel like a plebe, while still delivering effectively the same outcome so far.
classicalthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2022, 08:55 AM   #115
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
I'd consider myself a tadpole amongst the true "whales" but I'm guessing even they don't get offers to buy these Pateks very often. So if a rich collector gets an offer to buy a Aquanaut/Nautilus every 1-2 years why would they give that rare opportunity to a random stranger? To me, short term money as a "finders fee" isn't worth the risk of cutting off the pipeline of future Pateks. I'm sorry (not sorry) but if I get an offer to buy another Patek it is getting added to my collection, not someone else's. I'd guess most others would feel the same. That's why there are so many recommendations to either wait, buy grey, or get something else.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2022, 08:33 PM   #116
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
It saddens me that the 'mood' of true enthusiasts have to deal with the flood of free currency that has, in a sense, utterly ruined the hobby and turned it into a 'cash cow market'.
Old 22 May 2022, 01:42 AM   #117
Nico81
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
If you are interested in only one watch why are you trying to get fropm VC, AP, Rolex?

Also, you are not getting it from AD without relationship

Your only option is secondary market, and prices sre coming down so hopefully you can score one in $50k range which js not horrible if this is your dream watch and only one you will want

Thats your reality

Nico81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 01:50 AM   #118
Nico81
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneday333 View Post
I resonate with your story, as someone that started to looking into luxury watches in the last 12 months or so, only because it is financially viable to do so, although the timing couldn't be worst!

I have since "expressed an interest" in a white dial VS OS, a PP 5396-011 or 015, a 5167A, and a Rolex (the PP and Rolex at the same AD)...

If by magic they all are available at AD I will buy them all, but at the end of the day I am very logical/cheap in that I don't want to pay a premium to reseller so I am happy to wait. Don't get me wrong, waiting sucks, but its the reality. At the mean time, the surplus cash can be invested and hope it will earn a return while waiting (although no guarantees!) for those watches..... It will be a long wait...

I would say Extremely long.

Nico81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 08:44 AM   #119
speedyomega
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
"You SAY you don't want a Royal Oak, AND YET you spent 5 minutes in the AP botique a few blocks from your house....EXPLAIN THAT????"

"You SAY the Submariner isn't cool, AND YET 4 years ago you considered one and then never bought one. THAT DOESN'T ADD UP."

You guys are honestly a let down.
If you read my initial post, I am not "begging" anyone to buy me a watch. I mentioned it as a PS afterthought because the primary point I am making is that I don't really have an interest in "building a relationship" with a store. You guys often sound like you're in abusive codependent relationships with these companies.

Someone said I should "buy the watch on the secondary market." Then 30 people repeated that again and again. I'm not buying it used with a $60k mark up. Maybe you are used to it and enjoy doing that. It's ridiculous.

I have two options: (1) try my own methods for fun to see what I can accomplish or (2) not buy it.

I was really just interested in some differing perspectives. I got 1 perspective a bunch of times and it's also the least interesting one ("be more rich").

Whatever!
speedyomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 10:07 AM   #120
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
If you act like a pan handler expect to be treated like one.