The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 17 May 2022, 01:17 PM   #1
Mocha24
"TRF" Member

1675 GMT +- seconds question

Hi Everyone,

Last week I purchased a 1675 Mark V GMT watch from a trusted dealer. This was my first time buying a vintage Rolex. I tried to be as thorough as possible and believe that the dealer was very upfront with me about all the details of the watch. I am loving the watch, but am noticing that it is running at approximately -25 seconds per day. Should I be concerned about this? Any suggestions on what I should do? Thanks!
Mocha24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 04:00 PM   #2
1675-David
"TRF" Member

That’s way too much, your watch needs a service or regulating. You can expect +/- 2-3 sec from a newly serviced watch. The text on the dial ‘superlative chronometer…’ means your watch should keep at worst -4 to +6 seconds per day. However, for many accuracy, is not really that big an issue with vintage watches but personally I like to be able to rely on the information my watches provide.
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 12:35 AM   #3
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Before you invest in a service, you might want to post photos on the forum so people can authenticate the watch for you.
Old 18 May 2022, 12:52 AM   #4
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Did this trusted dealer indicate how recently the watch had been serviced, or provide you with its +- accuracy? I’d certainly bring it up with them if you haven’t already. But Dan is right, post some pictures here as well.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 06:22 AM   #5
StanGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT
I agree that -25 sec/day is too much. My 1675 GMT, which I've owned since new in 1967, still consistently holds +/- 2 sec/day.

I assume that you have ensured that it is fully wound (manually - about 40 turns of the winder) to start with. Being an automatic, the power reserve depends upon you being moderately active while wearing the watch. Assuming it is losing 25 sec/day fully wound, I would take it back to the dealer and discuss your options. It might need a service.

Stan.
StanGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 06:23 AM   #6
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1675-David View Post
That’s way too much, your watch needs a service or regulating. You can expect +/- 2-3 sec from a newly serviced watch. The text on the dial ‘superlative chronometer…’ means your watch should keep at worst -4 to +6 seconds per day. However, for many accuracy, is not really that big an issue with vintage watches but personally I like to be able to rely on the information my watches provide.
Agree. Even, my non chronometer 5513 ran -4/+6 when properly serviced.
Old 18 May 2022, 08:22 AM   #7
Ascari_2
2024 Pledge Member

Hard to say exactly whether it needs a full service or not without seeing the amplitude numbers, but it's not often that you see -25 sec and the only issue being that the watch needs to be regulated. So it is very likely that it needs to be given some TLC.

That said, whenever I buy a watch I almost always expect it to need service. So as long as you bought a fine example in terms of completeness and condition, getting it cleaned, oiled, and back to original-like performance shouldn't be an issue.

Like others said, post some pictures and that will help everyone here evaluate what you have and give you better feedback.
Old 19 May 2022, 07:29 AM   #8
stevegeorge249
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675, speedy
Get yourself a cheap timegrapher

Get yourself a cheap timegrapher.

I don't have anything to do with these people selling this but its the same model as mine.

It works well and will tell you what's going on.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NO-1000-W...-127635-2958-0

You will just need to watch a YouTube video or 2 to understand what its all about. Well I had to to understand beat errors and amplitude.
stevegeorge249 is offline   Reply With Quote