The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 19 May 2022, 06:15 AM   #1
asubabove
"TRF" Member

How much bigger is the older Speedmaster really?

Hi all,

Haven’t posted in a while, been more of a lurker ever since I purchased my Rolex Hulk in 2018. I’m now looking to purchase a Speedmaster to change things up. I say that in order to point out that I don’t feel like I necessarily NEED the latest, greatest 3861 calibre speedy, although I’ve decided I definitely DO want the sapphire as opposed to hesalite. So from a value perspective, I think I’d be best served in going after an 1863 sapphire. The only aspect of the newer releases that I think matters to me is the reduced thickness of the case. For comparison, I understand the Hulk is thinner than both (and I’m ~7 inch wrist). But is there really enough of a difference between the previous gen speedy and the new? In some pics that I’ve seen it seems almost immaterial, but in others the crystals on the older gens look like giant bubbles! I plan to wear this as a daily so thinking of under-the-dress-shirt-cuff and stuff like that. Thanks in advance for any insight!
asubabove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 10:28 AM   #2
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

I have a 2500-era Planet Ocean where the specs are 14.5mm thick and the new 3861 Speedmaster (Hesalite) and the specs are 13.5mm (and a lot of that is the domed crystal).

I feel like the Speedmaster wears substantially thinner than my Planet Ocean... and also my memory of trying on the 1861 Speedmaster.

I think I read the 1861 Speedmaster is 14.3mm thick, so very similar to my planet Ocean... (the Saphire was thinner still), but I have to say the difference is quite noticeable (to me).

I'd try both on before you commit.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 02:56 PM   #3
herefortheattachment
"TRF" Member

Definitely check them out in person before committing. I had no interest in an 1861 sapphire but find the 3861 much more appealing. The “milky ring” is reduced, the logo is applied, etc. IMO the 3861 sapphire is a much more interesting watch than the 1861 sapphire, and it’s now meaningfully distinct from its hesalite brethren.
herefortheattachment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 03:56 PM   #4
mquarter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5-digit steel
The 1861/3 speedmaster is thicker than the 3861, and it also wears larger if you keep it on the included bracelet. If you change the bracelet to the 3861's, or indeed any bracelet that drops straight down from the lugs rather than flaring outwards, you'll find it wears quite close to the 3861.

Bracelet options include 3861 OEM from Omega or Uncle Seiko US1479. I myself have a Forstner Flat Link (also drops straight down) on my Tokyo 2020 (which has the 1861 case).
mquarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 06:59 PM   #5
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefortheattachment View Post
Definitely check them out in person before committing. I had no interest in an 1861 sapphire but find the 3861 much more appealing. The “milky ring” is reduced, the logo is applied, etc. IMO the 3861 sapphire is a much more interesting watch than the 1861 sapphire, and it’s now meaningfully distinct from its hesalite brethren.
Interesting. Thank you.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 11:22 PM   #6
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefortheattachment View Post
Agree completely. I owned the 1861 Hesalite Speedmaster and was looking up upgrade to the 3861 (mostly for the movement, hacking seconds, etc). I was initially going to go with a 3861 Hesalite, but saw that the differences in the newer sapphire model helped me justify the "upgrade." They are subtle, but I absolutely love the applied logo and subtle polish of the intermediate links on the bracelet. It also seemed that Omega used to use the Hesalite model as sort of the "base" of the Speedmaster Professional models. The sapphire version seems to have replaced that. All the precious metal variations are essentially the sapphire model in gold.

I think either model is outstanding and I do think the newer models feel more removed from the tool purpose of the 1861 Speedmasters, but I also think the 3861s are a worthy upgrade and still certainly consistent with the pedigree laid out from the original Speedmaster Professional.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2022, 01:54 AM   #7
asubabove
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquarter View Post
The 1861/3 speedmaster is thicker than the 3861, and it also wears larger if you keep it on the included bracelet. If you change the bracelet to the 3861's, or indeed any bracelet that drops straight down from the lugs rather than flaring outwards, you'll find it wears quite close to the 3861.

Bracelet options include 3861 OEM from Omega or Uncle Seiko US1479. I myself have a Forstner Flat Link (also drops straight down) on my Tokyo 2020 (which has the 1861 case).
Great point, didnt think of that.
asubabove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2022, 01:19 AM   #8
tifosi
"TRF" Member

I've had many older gen Speedys and I now have a cal.3861 Hesalite. I don't notice any difference in the case as far as how it wears. The biggest difference in wearability is the new bracelet. Leaps and bounds better than the previous models. If you have to have it on a bracelet, I urge you to get the new one. If you're going to wear it on a strap then any Speedy will do.
Old 28 May 2022, 11:27 PM   #9
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Like some others have mentioned here, I think the main wearability innovation of the 3861 is the bracelet. If you do go 3861, I think the sapphire is the way to go -- caseback and applied logo is very handsome. Go big.

Regarding the 1861 (I'm an owner), if you can save a decent bit of money going this route (which you almost certainly can), it may be the way to go. There are a number of excellent aftermarket bracelets available; you will likely find that with your 7 in wrist the 1861 bracelet is just fine. Best wishes
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2022, 11:52 PM   #10
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
How much bigger is the older Speedmaster really?

It would be nice if we had exact measurements. Anyone with calipers that can measure both a 1861 (or 1863) and a 3861 (or 3863)? I always thought the new bracelet was the biggest difference in terms of wearability. The watches themselves are pretty much the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2022, 03:25 AM   #11
jtorrebl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: what’s next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
It would be nice if we had exact measurements. Anyone with calipers that can measure both a 1861 (or 1863) and a 3861 (or 3863)? I always thought the new bracelet was the biggest difference in terms of wearability. The watches themselves are pretty much the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There’s lots of videos on YouTube measuring them
jtorrebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2022, 06:46 AM   #12
Doc Olives
"TRF" Member

Hodinkee did a super detailed comparison (1861 vs 3861) when the 3861 dropped. It included some excellent measurements in a comparison chart. Forum won’t let me post the link, but if you search “Hodinkee Speedmaster 3861 complete buyers guide”, you’ll find it.

My first hand take is the 3861 does feel smaller. Bracelet taper, case thickness, and lug to lug are all a slight bit smaller, and in balance I think you can “feel” it when taken together. But it may be all in my head, and it is by no means a small watch.
Doc Olives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2022, 05:44 PM   #13
fmc000
Banned

1863 - 42.2mm diagonal 8-2 , 43.1mm crown included and and 47.25 L2L.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2022, 06:15 PM   #14
kearez
"TRF" Member

Omega has done a great job with the subtle changes to the 3861. I recommend trying it on. I found 1861 too large for my wrist, but 3861 does seem to wear smaller with those subtle changed.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2022, 03:31 AM   #15
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Old one is 14.1 thick I just checked using calipers

BNABOD is offline   Reply With Quote