The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 May 2022, 11:56 AM   #1
watchgirl2022
"TRF" Member

My Recent & Shocking AD Experience

Disclaimer: I'm new to rolexforums, so no one hang me for creating this thread about my recent AD experience in what could be the wrong section of the forum. I was debating whether posting in the General Discussion but ultimately felt the "AD" topic was suited in a Seller section.

This is a great post for:
- New Rolex enthusiasts
- Folks on the fence with working with an AD to get you your Rolex
- Folks who don't want to pay marked up prices on the second market and just want their watch at MSRP
- Folks wanting more info on Rolex Servicing for dial swaps
Onwards with the AD experience..........

I was on the mad hunt for my first Rolex; a 2022 36 Datejust Stainless Steel/Jubilee Bracelet White Roman dial with a Fluted Bezel (16234) originally team-2nd market for about 2 to 3 months. I first hit up local non-AD jewelers with alleged authentic reputations who quoted me $12k. Due to my lack of knowledge on discerning authentic/non authentic Rolex's, and perhaps my trust issues, I was wary on dropping $12k for a watch that I had a shaky confidence in knowing if was real or not. The jeweler told me about his ominous contact who sources him watches but that didn't give me peace of mind.

I then ravaged through 2nd market seller's websites I had a lot of confidence in because of either other's reviews and/or their Youtube presence. Avi & Co, Grand Caliber, and Luxury Bazaar were among the top sellers I was targeting. I got into a chat with Avi & Co's Bernil who had a stunning 2017 model of the watch for a great price, however I genuinely wanted a 2022. For a 2022, Bernil over there quoted me $14.5k. I was just about to pull the trigger when Bernil suggested I talk to my AD. My AD?? The folks who will put me on a waiting list for a watch that may never come in? I've heard so many AD horror stories that it wasn't even in the question. However, I slept on it, prayed about it, and talked it over with family.

After perhaps a sleepless night and after realizing I'd be saving $5.5k if I somehow got the watch through an AD, I decided to let my Avi & Co deal go. Let me tell you though - that was one incredibly hard decision to let go of a sure deal to embrace the alternative AD route that may yield nothing but wasted time. I was like, Jesus take the wheels.

I charged into my first trip into my local AD all dressed up looking like a snack with the mission of 1) trying on a 36 to really make sure that was the size I wanted and 2) getting on that elusive waitlist and 3) building a relationship with my AD. Out of those 3 things, only 1 was achieved. Yep, 1. That 1 being the assurance of 36 being the right size. It turned out the AD, despite being courteous, never really saved my information on the waitlist. I found this out when followed up in person a few weeks after my first visit and was told, by a NEW ..much younger and alert dealer... that the Datejust was never put on the waitlist. Just before my heart dropped and I stomped out of the store, this new AD stopped me with what appeared a more genuine customer service care and approach to my desires as a potential customer. He was also wearing a Hulk so I felt like I was talking to someone who also had been bitten by the bug, so to say.

Sidenote: I was not dressed to the nine's on this visit to the AD; I was in sweats and no makeup which even terrified me looking in the mirror. I wouldn't reccomend waltzing into your AD's store like that generally, but in my experience I was taken seriously (perhaps even more seriously) in sweats then in a fancy attire.

As he was meticulously placing my order into the waitlist, I asked to be shown whatever watches they may have that are not exhibition only. As he left to go grab the watches, I realized he wouldn't have done that if I didn't ask or show genuine interest. He came back with the same exact watch I wanted with one exception- it was a blue stick dial. I laughed and said, "So close!!" To my shock, he told me that if I would like- he could send the Rolex in to the Rolex servicers to get the dial swapped to a white roman for roughly $1k with a 6 month turnaround time. At first, I rolled my eyes. I asked if he'd ever done that before with a client and he said yes which made me feel better. Then, I did the math. The watch was coming up to roughly $9.5k with tax, so another $1k is still well below the 2nd market rates. I felt like I could wait 6 months for that.

I bought the watch that day at MSRP, and that same day allowed them to ship the watch out to Rolex servicers to get the dial swapped. I also told my AD that my birthday was coming up in 3 weeks and despite wishing I could get my watch back by then, I know realistically it's going to take a while. He surprisingly noted my birthday and wanted to know the exact day.

Fast forward 3 weeks, I get a call from my AD: "Hey your watch is in, come and get it!" I immediately left work, with my wallet, in utter disbelief. Turns out my AD was in as much disbelief as I was. What was even more shocking was that there ended up being NO charge for the dial swap. No $1k, no nothin. So all in all, I just paid MSRP. My AD sized it for me and sent me on my merry way with box, papers, the whole enchilada. Also, they updated their systems so that the new dial was reflected in the ref no of the watch.

Super grateful to God and a very competent AD who took care of me here. Just wanted to share this experience for those who don't want to break their wallet & need a push to have some faith in the process of working with an AD. Reading forums and hearing from 2nd market dealers- I rarely heard positive things about AD's and I GET IT. My first AD was incompetent but it just took some perseverance to push through & boy was it worth it.
watchgirl2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2022, 09:47 PM   #2
47Fountain
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub & Deep sea
Congrats on your watch & your AD experience. But, I'm not sure what a religious figure did to help. You just had a really good AD.
47Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote