The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 20 May 2022, 08:22 PM   #1
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
- Limited Time - Summer Sale from HQ Milton!

That was the title of the email I got this morning.

HQ has a great rep. But the sale prices are not enough to motivate me.

Thoughts?
Old 20 May 2022, 08:28 PM   #2
ExplorerI
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
Need another 20% to be competitive.
ExplorerI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2022, 08:29 PM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’ve been looking at 5 digits again lately …. I may have missed the boat
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2022, 08:31 PM   #4
330ci
"TRF" Member

Jacek sourced the good stuff, haven't looked at their site since his departure
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2022, 08:33 PM   #5
ExplorerI
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Been looking at 5 digit sea dwellers and gmts. Prices really don’t seem to be coming down on those though.
ExplorerI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2022, 08:34 PM   #6
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Old 20 May 2022, 08:59 PM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplorerI View Post
Been looking at 5 digit sea dwellers and gmts. Prices really don’t seem to be coming down on those though.
Same ... GMT's are holding steady from what I'm seeing

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2022, 09:09 PM   #8
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Still high enough to leave me out.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2022, 09:16 PM   #9
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Same ... GMT's are holding steady from what I'm seeing

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Sadly, yes.
Old 20 May 2022, 09:53 PM   #10
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What do you think will happen? I go the feeling 16700s/16710s will go down, hopefully 12k and lower again. It was riding the wave of the current ceramic pepsi way too hard. Current pepsi goes down, those neo-vintage/modern ones have to go down as well.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2022, 11:05 PM   #11
JBZ
"TRF" Member

My completely non-scientific, anecdotal observations.

Prices on modern (six digit) Rolex seem to be coming down, in some cases by significant percentages. Though they were so high to begin with they're still pretty high.

As others have said, prices on five digit models (GMT, Sub, SD, Exp II) appear to be holding steady, or maybe coming down just a bit (a few hundred dollars).

The one "non-modern" model that seems to be coming down a little bit more is the 14270/114270 Explorer.

But it's early yet - I guess it depends on what happens with the economy over the long haul.
JBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2022, 11:53 PM   #12
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
What do you think will happen? I go the feeling 16700s/16710s will go down, hopefully 12k and lower again. It was riding the wave of the current ceramic pepsi way too hard. Current pepsi goes down, those neo-vintage/modern ones have to go down as well.
Agree. But not sure they have as far to fall as the modern references.
Old 21 May 2022, 01:08 AM   #13
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

A great example of a desirable reference will always be in demand, but in general it's not a great time to be selling vintage Rolex. Less desirable examples and references are taking a substantial hit. For example, I have seen some nice 4-digit DJs go at shockingly low prices in recent auctions. I expect that prices for 34mm references will plummet. For the more desirable sport references, however, I think asking prices will be sticky and the market will be slow. Dealers paid high prices for many of their watches, and low prices won't motivate collectors to sell.

Interestingly, I am still seeing significant price growth in vintage watches from other ("lesser") brands. This is just speculation, but it seems to me that the high prices of vintage Rolex in recent years (driven largely by first-time buyers and speculators late to the party, IMO) led many long-time collectors to explore alternative brands and directions to satisfy their buy/sell/trade itch at less-than-5-figure prices. Personally, I have had a lot of fun with IWC, Eterna, Longines, Omega, Seiko, and even Citizen over the past couple of years. And after educating myself more about those brands, I'm not going to stop collecting them. I know this may sound like a silly comparison, but vintage Seiko prices are on a rocket, even with the extremely weak Yen.
Old 21 May 2022, 01:09 AM   #14
Goin2drt
Banned

The ones I want are all holding still.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2022, 02:14 AM   #15
11b1p
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yacht-Master
If you want to have a good laugh or cry, scroll this forums sales page from oldest to newest. Pretty surreal seeing some be told that $3500 is too high for a 5 digit GMT.
11b1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2022, 06:22 AM   #16
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
A great example of a desirable reference will always be in demand, but in general it's not a great time to be selling vintage Rolex. Less desirable examples and references are taking a substantial hit. For example, I have seen some nice 4-digit DJs go at shockingly low prices in recent auctions. I expect that prices for 34mm references will plummet. For the more desirable sport references, however, I think asking prices will be sticky and the market will be slow. Dealers paid high prices for many of their watches, and low prices won't motivate collectors to sell.

Interestingly, I am still seeing significant price growth in vintage watches from other ("lesser") brands. This is just speculation, but it seems to me that the high prices of vintage Rolex in recent years (driven largely by first-time buyers and speculators late to the party, IMO) led many long-time collectors to explore alternative brands and directions to satisfy their buy/sell/trade itch at less-than-5-figure prices. Personally, I have had a lot of fun with IWC, Eterna, Longines, Omega, Seiko, and even Citizen over the past couple of years. And after educating myself more about those brands, I'm not going to stop collecting them. I know this may sound like a silly comparison, but vintage Seiko prices are on a rocket, even with the extremely weak Yen.
Interesting Dan. Where do you see the 4 and 5 digit subs and GMT's going?
Old 21 May 2022, 07:38 AM   #17
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Interesting Dan. Where do you see the 4 and 5 digit subs and GMT's going?
I have no crystal ball, but if I had to guess, I would say that the desirable 4-digit references will be stagnant for a while and we won't see many nice pieces coming to market. In principle, the stock market situation could motivate some people to sell watches instead of stocks, but I'm skeptical that will be a major factor. The 5-digit references could drop slightly as people are able to find newer models.
Old 21 May 2022, 08:22 AM   #18
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Agreed.
Old 21 May 2022, 10:57 AM   #19
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I have no crystal ball, but if I had to guess, I would say that the desirable 4-digit references will be stagnant for a while and we won't see many nice pieces coming to market. In principle, the stock market situation could motivate some people to sell watches instead of stocks, but I'm skeptical that will be a major factor. The 5-digit references could drop slightly as people are able to find newer models.
Thanks.
Old 21 May 2022, 03:40 PM   #20
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
[QUOTE=Wahlberg;12177510]What do you think will happen? I go the feeling 16700s/16710s will go down, hopefully 12k and lower again. It was riding the wave of the current ceramic pepsi way too hard. Current pepsi goes down, those neo-vintage/modern ones have to go down as well.[/QUO

Indeed - The increases in prices of the last of the classic cased pieces have been fuelled by a huge number of substitution purchases in the main by newbies. All will get hit but the current models hardest, then neo-vintage or 'classic cases' like 14060/16710/16610 then 5513/1680/1665 and the least hit will be the rare 37mm subs, 6542, JCK's, 60s milgauss etc etc ...just like the vintage guitar and car re-correction of 2013 and 2018 which followed the same tapering pattern based on rareity and primarily collector (not every-day-jonny investor) demand.
Come on, let's do it again....
DO YOU FEEEL LIKE WE DO - Peter Frampton
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2022, 07:51 PM   #21
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
For example, I have seen some nice 4-digit DJs go at shockingly low prices in recent auctions.
Do you have an example/link? Would love to see those.
Old 21 May 2022, 11:02 PM   #22
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Quote:
I’ve been keeping an eye on the 16710s in the U.K. and the price seems a bit “ all over the place” at the moment,,,
Reputable long term grays have them between £10k-£14k and they don’t seem to be moving,,,,,
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 12:03 AM   #23
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Do you have an example/link? Would love to see those.
I'll post them when I'm finished buying. But I will say that I'm not talking about eBay. It's gotten almost impossible to find anything decent there, just a needle in a haystack and maybe not even worth my time anymore.
Old 22 May 2022, 02:16 AM   #24
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Prices still inflated. Just a teaser but not nearly enough to motivate me.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 02:32 AM   #25
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaySL350 View Post
I’ve been keeping an eye on the 16710s in the U.K. and the price seems a bit “ all over the place” at the moment,,,
Reputable long term grays have them between £10k-£14k and they don’t seem to be moving,,,,,
That's the thing I've noticed as well. I see tons of them at those prices and a lot of them are sitting. If they aren't moving at 14k they should lower their prices but that hasn't happen in over 1 year.
Old 22 May 2022, 05:24 AM   #26
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
There was a lovely early 16710 in Norwich,,long term bricks and mortar ,,
No papers but a lovely watch and that was a tad over £10k but I think he would have taken a good offer,,
it’s the SEL ,full sets that seem to be the highest ( not including the odd NOS) but again it seems they are not moving ,,,
likelihood that they will need to lower there prices especially after summer,,,
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2022, 09:59 PM   #27
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Those 5 digits GMTs are coming down.

Already seeing prices around 13k usd, which is better imho than 14-15k. Which also means people are selling these for 10-11k usd minimum which is the best part.

18238s are coming down as well.
Old 4 June 2022, 02:28 AM   #28
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Those 5 digits GMTs are coming down.

Already seeing prices around 13k usd, which is better imho than 14-15k. Which also means people are selling these for 10-11k usd minimum which is the best part.

18238s are coming down as well.
Full sets?
Old 4 June 2022, 02:44 AM   #29
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Full sets?
Just the watch. I've never seen a lot of full sets available (at decent prices).