The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 25 May 2022, 12:38 AM   #1
Ascari_2
2024 Pledge Member

Giving a Turn-O-Graph some TLC

Hi everyone.

I always enjoy threads like this from others, so I figured I'd contribute on my end.

A few months ago an opportunity came up to purchase a Turn-O-Graph from the 70s. I've always enjoyed these watches from afar but never owned one before. So when I got the chance to go for it, I took it. For now, it is staying in my collection, thought I am hoping to acquire another 1625 with a very cool history, and if that happens this one might have to budge. But that aside, on to the watch.

Purchasing it, I knew it was authentic and could see the aesthetic appearance. But besides that I didn't know how good or bad it ran and what all would really need to be done.

Receiving it, I was pleasantly surprised. The watch ran enough to keep reasonable time; visually, the striking linen gold dial and the hands are in excellent condition; and the bezel insert features are still very defined (many that I've seen that have gone through major polish session(s) really lose their distinct 3D effect).

Wearing it, the watch fit perfectly, and while my wife would make fun of me for going all Liberace, I also got a compliment from a younger guy while running errands. In either case, I did not go wrong. But while the watch runs and looks great, it wasn't running to my standard. So it went on the workbench.

First indication that service was needed was the black-ish oil on the stem. Hard to see in the picture, but it's there. That said, taking the automatic works off revealed a rather clean looking movement. This is definitely a welcome sight as it gives some indication of the movement's overall condition (sans the necessary oiling).

Taking the movement out of the case revealed the dial in its entire glory. The scratched up crystal certainly prevents one from fully appreciating the linen texture, so a new crystal will be installed later.

Off with the dial, the disassembly continues. Consistent with my earlier impression, the movement is clean but dry. All the jewels and other moving surfaces seem to be devoid of oil. Oddly enough, there was fresh oil-looking in the crown wheel assembly. No clue why that would be there by the rest of the watch would be dry, but I am not going to go crazy guessing.

With the movement completely disassembled, I am left with the case. Overall it's in pretty good shape with what appears to be mostly gunk and a tattered crystal.

Crystal off, and now the watch is ready for a thorough cleaning and then a careful reassembly.

One thing I found somewhat disappointing, but not unexpected, was this huge piece of fuzz in the tube aperture. While I certainly understand that most watchsmiths don't work in clean-room environments, we should do our best to keep big pieces of dust like this away from the movement. Getting this on the hairspring, balance, pallet fork, escape wheel can be source of lots of headaches in terms of an inconsistent-running watch even if the rest of the movement is in great shape.

Anyhow, time permitting, I'll continue with the rest of the service over the next week and will post some additional pics as I go along.
Old 25 May 2022, 12:39 AM   #2
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 01:53 AM   #3
Nick9
"TRF" Member

Nicely done, that’s a terrific dial and bezel insert. Great catch!
Nick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 02:01 AM   #4
Stan Cooper
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
The older TOGs with the engine turned bezels are positively gorgeous, and the gold colored linen dial complements the bezel beautifully.

Nicely done!!
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 02:19 AM   #5
Steph-paul
"TRF" Member

Thank you for sharing.
Steph-paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 02:57 AM   #6
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Great looking watch! Hardly the Liberace effect! Have you seen what the rappers are wearing these days? Yours is positively within the realm of reason without too much flash. The farther south I have gone into East LA the more bling I see. That's a keeper, thanks for sharing.
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2022, 05:36 AM   #7
west8720
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, 16750
Love the TOG! Nice post…!
west8720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2022, 06:51 AM   #8
IgCarr
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 16800 16220 14270
Beautiful watch! I've been on the lookout for a nice example but haven't quite landed on anything. It's so hard to find a vintage watch that hasn't been polished nearly to death! Thank you for sharing. Looking forward to the after shots!!
IgCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2022, 07:53 AM   #9
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Fantastic!!
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2022, 07:55 AM   #10
GreatHarry
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR
1625. NICE!

GreatHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2022, 08:44 AM   #11
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Old 31 May 2022, 05:41 PM   #12
FrenchBigCrown
"TRF" Member

Nice watch, nice thread - very interesting.
FrenchBigCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2022, 11:16 PM   #13
Ascari_2
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks all. Being a bit occupied with some personal things this past week I didn't get as far as I wanted, but all the parts are now clean and ready to start going back together. I'll update the post with the reassembly pictures hopefully this week.

TimeLord2: The Liberace reference by the wife is more of a joke and I think she she see the beauty of this watch on the wrist. Though that same reference from her to my blue-dial 16803 certainly holds a bit more true. Cool piece, but there is definitely a fair amount of colorful contrast in that watch.
Old 2 June 2022, 12:00 PM   #14
paper clip
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing your work on this fine watch. Linen dial looks great!
paper clip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2022, 06:15 PM   #15
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Great work, and beautiful watch! Looking forward to the next installment.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2022, 09:11 PM   #16
chocopeluche
"TRF" Member

subscribed ! looking forward to pt 2

SF, CA
chocopeluche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2022, 10:04 PM   #17
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ 41; 1803; BB Ch
Can’t wait to see the result!

Also, I love the linen dial as it’s unique and visually appealing.
Slimpee is offline   Reply With Quote