The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 26 March 2024, 04:40 AM   #1
Dayhvac
"TRF" Member

Starting over

As my AD lost his Patek rights 3-4 years ago i struggled to make a new connection. This year i have the potential to start a relationship with 2 different ADs. With the way Patek is dropping them, it's hard to choose which one . One is in NC and one in St Maarten. Any thoughts on long term?

Thanks James
Dayhvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2024, 04:45 AM   #2
Gandor
"TRF" Member

Honestly at this point, unless they open a US salon, I have no interest in starting a relationship with a jeweler which is what all Patek AD's in the US are. Pretty much everything besides sports models are 20-40% off secondary.
Old 26 March 2024, 06:19 AM   #3
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Starting over

Wouldn't one in NY be more convenient?

But if you like to travel, St. Maarten sounds better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2024, 06:30 AM   #4
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Im in the same boat and Im not doing it again. I got most of what I want and not willing to go through the nonsense these dealers are doing now. I have one local I keep in touch with but no expectations and haven't asked for much. Will wait for the market to keep cooling down (hopefully) and get back in when they actually want to sell me something. I am not begging or trying to buy things I do not want.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2024, 06:38 AM   #5
Ubiquitous1984
"TRF" Member

I’m not looking to get involved in the AD game again as unless you are lucky enough to be local to a Salon, no AD is truly ‘safe’.

I thought mine was safe long term so invested a lot into the relationship, and now they’ve lost their status I’m £x down compared to if I had gone grey.
Ubiquitous1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2024, 06:58 AM   #6
johnsonsxusfrt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandor View Post
Honestly at this point, unless they open a US salon, I have no interest in starting a relationship with a jeweler which is what all Patek AD's in the US are. Pretty much everything besides sports models are 20-40% off secondary.
^^^This. My AD lost their license about 18 months ago and I'm struggling to decide if I should start a new relationship with 1 of the 2 other ADs in my area. Ironically there were 3 ADs and I almost started a relationship with 1 that lost their license last month!!

It's a risky game at this point because my gut tells me Patek is going to cut more ADs in the coming 18-24 months, and with my luck I'll end up spending $50K-$100K with the wrong one and get stuck again LOL!!
johnsonsxusfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2024, 07:04 AM   #7
ts3
"TRF" Member

My AD got cut but there is no point in looking for a new one as I find myself increasingly drawn to discontinued refs (again). The one modern Patek I'd love to add is the 5740. Didn't happen with the old AD and will not happen with a new AD w/o substantial purchases unless the market cools a lot more.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2024, 07:11 AM   #8
Dayhvac
"TRF" Member

NY ad's left a bad taste , basically was ignored and given attitude

was just in saint martin and offered new 5905r sunburst blue within 2-3 months

we travel to NC a bit and have visited AD there , was pleasant.
Old 26 March 2024, 08:24 AM   #9
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandor View Post

I echo this as well. I had to start over in 2020 when my (hometown) AD was cut. Started over with an NYC AD who subsequently lost their AD status this year too.

Save your time and money and go grey. ADs are too much of a hassle at this point in time. As Gandor said, most models are selling significantly below MSRP, and even the ones advertised online, are moving at lower levels. I picked up a brand new 2024 5326g for MSRP earlier this month from a grey. Since it’s launch, I had been given the constant reply from my AD, “this model is difficult as we receive 1-2 a year.” I had patience and finally secured one. I’ll continue going the grey route at this point.

Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LJubel328 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2024, 09:45 AM   #10
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
It is so hard to tell the next wave of cuts. There's no harm in starting over until they want you to buy a Calatrava, then you have to decide. Personally, I'm not starting over (have AD-purchased 5167R and 5712/1A), so if I want another Patek, it will have to be grey market. I now have a great Patek SA in Chicago but I'm a nobody so he can't do anything for me. So I'm more into other brands like AP these days.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2024, 10:09 AM   #11
dauster
"TRF" Member

St Maarten sounds like a remote enough AD to be cut soon tbh - lack of truly rich people as they are all flying direct into St Barths :)
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2024, 10:57 AM   #12
Dayhvac
"TRF" Member

Thats my concern. Which one is less likely to lose AD status faster lol.
Old 26 March 2024, 10:57 AM   #13
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
I have developed an amazing, fruitful relationship with an outstanding PP dealer, takuya. And one or two others, EWC. Key models way below retail. Others are over. But no nonsense and games, nor waiting for years.

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2024, 11:10 AM   #14
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayhvac View Post
Thats my concern. Which one is less likely to lose AD status faster lol.
just checked and there are 4 in the caribbean - imo pretty high chance all of them or majority will be gone soon. Most VIPs that travel there are either in Europe or NYC/ Miami anyway.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2024, 11:59 AM   #15
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Definitely a fear in the back of my mind. What if my AD loses status? I'm only 2 watches in, but I don't think I would try to start over with another AD. I would bite the bullet and buy what I'm after in the grey market and move on with life.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2024, 01:03 PM   #16
JettyOne
"TRF" Member

Even Tiffany’s got the ax. No one is safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
JettyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2024, 03:20 PM   #17
smallcollector
"TRF" Member

go grey
smallcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2024, 10:32 PM   #18
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
The AD in North Carolina, Windsor Jewelers in Charlotte, is great. Why not do both AD and see where it goes. Only thing to send is time.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2024, 10:34 PM   #19
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
The AD in North Carolina, Windsor Jewelers in Charlotte, is great. Why not do both AD and see where it goes. Only thing to send is time.

What if both ADs get cut? He’s still starting all over at that point.

Old 26 March 2024, 11:46 PM   #20
johnsonsxusfrt
"TRF" Member

Until Patek is truly done cutting ADs, and actually comes out and says so, it's a complete gamble and not worth starting a new relationship. I'd give it 2 years, let the dust, demand and delusion settle then decide.
Old 27 March 2024, 03:24 AM   #21
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonsxusfrt View Post
Until Patek is truly done cutting ADs, and actually comes out and says so, it's a complete gamble and not worth starting a new relationship. I'd give it 2 years, let the dust, demand and delusion settle then decide.
This makes the most sense. Word is more are to be cut.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2024, 03:46 AM   #22
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Patek is really shooting themselves in the foot with this move creating so much unrest in the collector community.
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2024, 09:49 PM   #23
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJubel328 View Post
What if both ADs get cut? He’s still starting all over at that point.

So the answer is just to set aside any AD route? I would just do my best with the AD's and a Boutique if it is close by.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2024, 12:20 AM   #24
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So the answer is just to set aside any AD route? I would just do my best with the AD's and a Boutique if it is close by.
I was simply posing the question. Suppose that the OP started building a relationship with one AD whose status was then terminated, and then had to start another relationship with a new AD, only to find that the new AD's status is also terminated shortly thereafter (which is what happened to me).

In my opinion, this outcome is fairly likely, which is why I posed the question. Unless an individual's end goal is to acquire MRs, multiple aquanauts/nautiluses, etc., I see little reasoning for going the AD route. Unless, of course, someone is hellbent on having their name on the papers (I used to be one such individual). For others who still have their AD relationships intact, that is perfectly fine to continue the AD route. However, for many long-term collectors and newly emerging collectors, who are in my situation, I fail to see why purchasing from an AD makes sense in this climate.

My experiences are clearly biasing my opinion, and in no way am I suggesting my way is correct.
Old 28 March 2024, 01:54 AM   #25
Policylimits_
"TRF" Member

[/U] jewels by love wants people to buy models they can’t sell.
Policylimits_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2024, 04:22 AM   #26
Dayhvac
"TRF" Member

Had a nice experience there. Staff was super friendly and not pushy. Interested in the 5905r . Had one there i could try on that was reserved. Said could have for me in a few months
Old 28 March 2024, 04:54 AM   #27
johnsonsxusfrt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was honest with one of the local ADs in my area and pointed out that Patek has aggressively cut ADs across the country including a local one just this past month. I mentioned that I had reservations about starting a new (expensive) relationship that would end in kind in the coming 18-24 months. The SA was back on her heels as she tried to talk down my concern, but I could tell they're all very aware of the AD slaughter LOL!

One option is to be direct with the AD, offer to buy a bundle (one dog, one desirable piece, and maybe a bracelet for the wife), but just make sure the dog is one you actually like LOL!! They won't agree to it now, but times are changing.