The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 12 September 2008, 10:20 PM   #1
black_hole
"TRF" Member

About the Paraflex shock protection system...

Dear friends,

Do you think Rolex Paraflex is "better" that the KIF ?

Looking at the picture, it seems not to protect only the balance wheel but also other parts (on the left). Is it also the case in non-paraflex rolexes ?

Do you think it is a technical prgress or just a way for Rolex to become more independant ?

Thanks !
black_hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2008, 11:06 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
PARACHROM,PARAFLEX just Rolex speak IMO and would seriously doubt if any better that kif or incabloc.Perhaps Rolex now owns the Kif system and now call it the PARAFLEX to match the PARACHROM.And PARAFLEX sounds much more important than just plain Kif and now completely in -house on escapement parts.Afraid in my book just fitting a parachrom hairspring and calling the shock protection system Paraflex, don't make a complete new movement. Like the now 3156 but thats just a slightly modified 3155.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2008, 03:23 AM   #3
black_hole
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your input.
Some people say they are concerned that in the long run replacement parts (for shock protection) for non-paraflex Rolexes could be missing. What do you think about this ?
Best regards.
black_hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2008, 03:55 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
The KIF shock system has been around for 50 years.. And Rolex isn't the only company that uses it..

The Paraflex system is just another in-house piece of the puzzle that Rolex is driving toward.. But I don't think that KIF, like Incabloc, will just go away and parts dry up...

However, I do think that over time, the Paraflex system and the Parachrom hairspring will be fitted throughout the line..

Besides, at some point, KIF and Nivarox will be selling parts to any watchmaker who has a Rolex to repair..
Old 18 November 2008, 01:35 PM   #5
Lol-x
Facilitator

It is interesting to see in the photo above that it is not just the balance wheel is protected by a Paraflex shock absorber. It appears that other parts such as the escapement on the left also gets protection. I don't think this is the case on the 3135 movement?

The Paraflex shocks absorber can be seen as tri-shaped wire/springs over (red) jewel end-caps. The wire acts like a spring to cushion bumps.

The same can be seen on the right is balance wheel where the balance wheel is located.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2008, 01:43 PM   #6
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
i just saw a picture of paraflex in a new rolex advert in time magazine, and it doesn't look anything like the ones in the photo above. but i can't find the same pic on the net. it's in the time magazine dedicated to president elect obama.
cody p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2008, 04:44 AM   #7
CVerKuilen
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Chrono
I think that may be a 3135. Rolex has put shock protection on the balance and escape wheel since the 1530. The movements that would feature this are the 15's, 20's, 21's, 22's, 30's, and 31's.
CVerKuilen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2008, 04:51 AM   #8
Spare201
Banned

Watch: 1970 Day-Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_hole View Post
Thanks for your input.
Some people say they are concerned that in the long run replacement parts (for shock protection) for non-paraflex Rolexes could be missing. What do you think about this ?
Best regards.
You can still get replacement parts for tons of older rolexes.

I wasn't even aware that they had their own branded incabloc system. It is all a shockspring. I do like the fact that rolex places a incabloc over the escape wheel as well. That is very nice and it does help with serviceability and longevity of the movement.
Spare201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2010, 03:06 AM   #9
mpkRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO Jubilee
Just curious. Which current Rolex models have the paraflex system? Does 4130, 3135 and 3186 have it? I mean Daytona, Sub and GMTIIc?
mpkRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2010, 07:25 AM   #10
Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpkRolex View Post
Just curious. Which current Rolex models have the paraflex system? Does 4130, 3135 and 3186 have it? I mean Daytona, Sub and GMTIIc?
I think that only the Day Date II, the Date Just II, and the new Explorer 39 have the Paraflex shocks......

None of those you mention have it yet..
Old 10 May 2010, 01:52 PM   #11
mpkRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO Jubilee
Thanks Larry! What about the new C-Sub? There is nothing on the Rolex.com which indicates that.
mpkRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2010, 02:20 PM   #12
Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpkRolex View Post
Thanks Larry! What about the new C-Sub? There is nothing on the Rolex.com which indicates that.
Nope....... the literature and specs do not show a Paraflex shock system for the new Sub c, but they do have the 3135 with Parachrom airspring.........
Old 10 May 2010, 04:12 PM   #13
rolex rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALL MY ROLEX'S
is it right that daytona 4130 2000-2004 had parachrome spring and after 2004 it was updated to blue parachrome spring is that right ?
rolex rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2010, 01:09 AM   #14
Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex rob View Post
is it right that daytona 4130 2000-2004 had parachrome spring and after 2004 it was updated to blue parachrome spring is that right ?
The Parachrom spring came out in the Daytona in 2000. It was blued (there is no evidence that this is an upgrade) in about 2005 and marketed heavily in the then new GMT II ceramic model.
Old 22 August 2010, 09:21 PM   #15
timuS
"TRF" Member

Watch: es out for watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
I think that only the Day Date II, the Date Just II, and the new Explorer 39 have the Paraflex shocks......

None of those you mention have it yet..
Hi Larry,

I dug up the patent sheets of the Paraflex (US Patent Application Publication No. 2006/0215499). The sheets mention that even in extreme cases, the Paraflex shock absorber does not disengage from the bearing block, though it is not mentioned how many G's the test prototype was subjected to.

Another interesting thing to note was that the publication was putting a lot of stress on the ease of manufacture and servicing of Paraflex (how they are easy to assemble into the bearing block, and don't yield to plastic deformation during assembly et cetera)

What came to my mind as I went through the documents are these:

1. If shock absorbing capabilities are so important, then it is the Rolex Perpetual rotor of cals. 31XX with their shock sensitive pivots that should get more attention in terms of modifications (a ball bearing maybe?)....a line of action Zenith (Zenthium winding bridge) and IWC (Pellaton winding) seem to have taken.

2. KIF is used by watchmakers such as Patek, Audemars Piguet, Breguet, Zenith, Jaeger-LeCoultre to name a few...and these guys are really finicky about quality. In fact, JLC uses KIF in their Master Compressor Extreme models, which are supposed to be shock and everything else proof!

3. Therefore, is Paraflex really superior to KIF? Have KIFs ever disengaged under extreme shocks?

I have GMT IIC 116710LN with a KIF protected 3186 inside and I'm very confused!!

Best Regards,

Sumit
timuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2010, 11:43 PM   #16
watchmaker
TechXpert

I just wanted to make two quick observations;

Firstly the picture above is of Kif settings, not paraflex.

Also, the setting to the left is covering the escape wheel jewel, and is infact more of a 'protective cap' to keep dust out, than a shock setting. Although it does have a spring and an endstone, the jewel underneath it is fixed, not moveable as is the case on the balance pivots, so it really affords it no shock proofing.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2010, 02:40 AM   #17
Ironstark
TechXpert

Watch: SS/W Skydweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
I just wanted to make two quick observations;

Firstly the picture above is of Kif settings, not paraflex.

Also, the setting to the left is covering the escape wheel jewel, and is infact more of a 'protective cap' to keep dust out, than a shock setting. Although it does have a spring and an endstone, the jewel underneath it is fixed, not moveable as is the case on the balance pivots, so it really affords it no shock proofing.
You beat me to it.
Ironstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2010, 10:38 AM   #18
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
That's not entirely true, the hole jewel or insetting which the pivot goes through is not fixed and will come out if the spring pops. I open at least 3 Rolexes a week where the cap jewels have popped and the hole and cap jewel are floating around inside the watch, and 9 out of 10 times the pivots have been spared breakage. Now this is for the balance wheel only the escape wheel hole jewel is fixed with a dust cap jewel. I probably should have read the earlier post a little more closely. Rik
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2010, 10:39 PM   #19
sgt10p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
I am just a 'user' of my watch as a thing of exquisite beauty. But having read and not understood a lot of what is being said I have done a bit of research on the web and found some useful sites to help me understand what KIF is about and what is 'shock absorbing' in a mechanical watch.

For those as thick as me take a look at

http://hiro.alliancehorlogere.com/en/Main_Page

and a French video from the company KIF.

http://www.kif-parechoc.ch/societe.php

Cheers Pete
sgt10p is offline   Reply With Quote