The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 24 July 2016, 06:46 PM   #31
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well that depends on the wrist activity and how much power reserve the main spring has to start with.But agree if when worn with sufficient wrist activity the movement could run continual but it might not be at peak power reserve.So it will do no harm whatsoever to give a full wind say once a week even when worn.And most crown related problems are mainly down to the winding crown not being used.
That last line/point is very useful to know. The very few problems I have had with my Rolex through the years have been crown related, e.g. crown stem coming right out (despite me taking care) or crown being stiff and difficult to get to the third/setting position. I was once told that the latter can be an 'oil issue'? Had this particular problem this week with an SD16600 I had not worn for a while though it seems now to have eased up after a couple of days wearing. The date also began changing over at 10pm though after some resetting that too seems to have eased off....the joys of Rolex!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2016, 08:16 PM   #32
brookish
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Deep Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsandiford View Post
I wear my rolex (with 3185 movement) for 5 days before it stops. I have it wound (around 40 revolutions of crown) and then wear for 12-14 hours per day. By the morning of day 5 when I come to put it on , it has stopped. Any views on whether this is normal or whether this indicates some servicing is needed??
Are you hibernating?

Current collection: Rolex Sea-Dweller, Rolex Deepsea D-blue, Rolex 116613LB, Rolex Explorer II (black), Omega Speedmaster SS, IWC Ingenieur Chrono, Panerai PAM127, Panerai PAM328, Panerai PAM629, Panerai PAM217, Panerai PAM339, Panerai PAM341, Panerai PAM605, Panerai PAM376
brookish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2016, 10:48 PM   #33
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

I've always found this an interesting topic because I'm not more active than the average guy. I mean it's not like I spend 8 hours a day trying to start a lawn mower with my watch hand. Yet I've never had a Rolex that's being worn daily stop on my wrist. Even if it hasn't been wound in months.

I'm not a watch tech, btw.
Old 25 July 2016, 03:31 AM   #34
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
My mother used to say that she new that she was really sick when her Rolex stopped... That is how inactive you need to be.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2016, 04:14 AM   #35
solo-act
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbill2mrbill2 View Post
Give the watch a full 40 to 50 turns and let it sit. If it stops before 40 hours, most autos not all, it's time for a service.

There you go.
solo-act is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2016, 09:58 AM   #36
onthepond
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
My 16613 never stops, but I never take it off either. From the posts, it sounds like many remove their watches at night. An elderly lady friend asked if she should send her SD in for service, as it often quit overnight. I asked why - habit. She began wearing it 24/7 and it never stopped again. She is active, but not physically.
onthepond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2016, 10:12 PM   #37
Gabik
"TRF" Member

I think you´ve misunderstood me. My watch has never stopped and I wear it every day. It´s just that when I take it off, sometimes after a while without motion it runs not for 48 hours, but for 42-44 hours.
Gabik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2016, 11:00 PM   #38
Mfrankel2
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43,d-Blue, 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabik View Post
I think you´ve misunderstood me. My watch has never stopped and I wear it every day. It´s just that when I take it off, sometimes after a while without motion it runs not for 48 hours, but for 42-44 hours.
If it were 30 or less I'd be worried. if 40+ hours after taking off, it would seem to be close to spec as wearing it is not an assurance of a "full wind". 42-44 is pretty darn close to the full reserve when you take into account diferent wearing habits movements, etc.
Mfrankel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2016, 02:20 AM   #39
Dove37
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xristos View Post
Anyone up for a "never have to wind" thread?
Seriously though, I think it's a watch issue. You'd have to be pretty sedentary...
I have worn the same DJ 1601 daily since 1978.

Never thought of winding.

Occasionally I don't wear I over a weekend....or this week as I had surgery. Put it back on this morning and forwarded the time a couple of hours and scratched the dogs belly vigorously.

Then played guitar for two hours. Keeps on ticking.

Carry on.
Dove37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2016, 07:29 AM   #40
RKTudor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor 79090 blue
I've never manually wound a number of my automatics after unboxing, winding and putting on my wrist. If I don't wear it for a while, I just reset and put it on my wrist.
RKTudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2016, 07:32 AM   #41
RKTudor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That seems pretty good to me. As mentioned, there's nothing guaranteeing a full wind from use.
Old 1 August 2016, 07:35 AM   #42
RKTudor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthepond View Post
My 16613 never stops, but I never take it off either. From the posts, it sounds like many remove their watches at night. An elderly lady friend asked if she should send her SD in for service, as it often quit overnight. I asked why - habit. She began wearing it 24/7 and it never stopped again. She is active, but not physically.
Wait, your elderly lady friend wears a Sea Dweller? Or am I misunderstanding SD? If not, I hope my wife is that cool when she's older 😉
Old 2 August 2016, 04:20 AM   #43
AID_
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKTudor View Post
That seems pretty good to me. As mentioned, there's nothing guaranteeing a full wind from use.
Quote:
Your description is of a normal behavior of an automatic watch. If 48 hours power reserve is what specs say that would only apply to a brand new watch. A year or two later that reserve will be a bit shorter due to oil getting dirtier and main spring getting older. Over 40 hours of reserve is normal, however you if did not service your watch for 5 years or longer, it would be a good idea to service it, even though it acts normal. As oil dries up parts wear out much faster. Your watch may be running good for 10-15 years, but then, when it stops, a whole bunch of parts will need to be replaced due to extensive wear... I hope this helps.
AID_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2016, 06:02 AM   #44
Gabik
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AID_ View Post
Your description is of a normal behavior of an automatic watch. If 48 hours power reserve is what specs say that would only apply to a brand new watch. A year or two later that reserve will be a bit shorter due to oil getting dirtier and main spring getting older. Over 40 hours of reserve is normal, however you if did not service your watch for 5 years or longer, it would be a good idea to service it, even though it acts normal. As oil dries up parts wear out much faster. Your watch may be running good for 10-15 years, but then, when it stops, a whole bunch of parts will need to be replaced due to extensive wear... I hope this helps.
Thank you very much!
Gabik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2016, 12:12 PM   #45
jatco
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116233/79190
...Might be time to have my '08 TT DJ serviced...?!??!

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote