The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 16 October 2015, 12:54 AM   #31
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
That is a great read 12 years day and night go's to show the quality of a Rolex. Been doing the watch thing for about 7 years and just got bitten by the Rolex bug have about 5 months on my 116610LN and know the feeling about not taking it off they are the best.Thanks for sharing that great story hope I can do the same in 11 1/2 years.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2015, 07:55 AM   #32
mnbookman
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Sinaimts;6009451]12 years of wear and tear 24/7 is not quickly
By profession , I'm a license professional engineer for over 30 years
Regular jewelry cleaning , ultrasonic periodically was done.
Ultrasonic is simply a vibrating container with jewelry solution in it ,, nothing really special
It's a hype
/QUOTE]

Im amazed that a licensed engineer recognizes some types of wear, but not others.

Abrasion from introduced dirt will wear a watch bracelet much faster than adhesive friction and the levels of metal fatigue caused by daily wear.
mnbookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2015, 07:33 PM   #33
10after10
Banned

wow..very impressive..
10after10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2015, 01:22 AM   #34
occb2
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16610
I just sent him my Yachtmaster band. He just emailed me the following:

"Taking a further look onto your band, the links are quite worn on the centre links and also cutting into the side links, we can also improve this further by laser repairing the links for extra USD150. Please let me know if you also want this option."

Cheers
Michael:

I told him of course. I heard wonders about his work. I was just wondering if he does that to everyone.
occb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2015, 01:35 AM   #35
etp095
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by occb2 View Post

"Taking a further look onto your band, the links are quite worn on the centre links and also cutting into the side links, we can also improve this further by laser repairing the links for extra USD150. Please let me know if you also want this option."

Cheers
Michael:

I told him of course. I heard wonders about his work. I was just wondering if he does that to everyone.
Looking forward to your, before and after pics.
pepsi gmt for dad(D)
polar expy II(z)
1675 gmt circa 68'
ladies datejust on jubilee for mom (z)
sea dweller16600(M)
SS Sub-C(g)
Omega Planet Ocean,45.5 on mesh(2500D)
etp095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2015, 11:58 AM   #36
occb2
Banned

I can show you the band pics before sending it in.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e1...nd/s-l1600.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e1.../s-l1600-3.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e1.../s-l1600-2.jpg
Old 23 October 2015, 01:11 PM   #37
goldfixer21
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublover2166 View Post
He has a specially made vice that pulls the links apart laterally. He also uses special sleeves that slide over the worn pins that tighten things up. Also he can add gold where needed on such bracelets. Truly a craftsman. Surprised nobody in the USA has the knack to restore bracelets. There is definitely a market for this service.
I can rebuild them, but I can't do it for anywhere near the prices he does. I've done a few that I have purchased, but I can't justify the time vs. cost for a customer. I'm sure he has more than a few "tricks" that simplify it, but I'm curious if labor cost over there is much lower. I know nothing about that corner of the globe.
goldfixer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2015, 09:05 AM   #38
2ar2c1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
"Taking a further look onto your band, the links are quite worn on the centre links and also cutting into the side links, we can also improve this further by laser repairing the links for extra USD150."
I was just wondering if he does that to everyone.

yes he does.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0484.jpg (66.9 KB, 695 views)
2ar2c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2015, 09:13 AM   #39
occb2
Banned

2ar2c1 how do you post a pic and make it show up? Mine only showed the link. Plus he just throws that in to make an extra $150 or is it something he is really doing? Everyone I spoke to told me he does wonders and the band comes back like new.

And Goldfixer21 you hit it on the head. The cost of labor in China compare to the USA is drastic. Big reason why companies out source to China.
Old 25 October 2015, 12:38 AM   #40
watchlovr
"TRF" Member

Yup, offered to me on my recently sent 9315.
I don't think I'll need it but I'll leave it up to him.
Try getting laser welding done for $150 in the UK, you've no chance.

Quote:

Cheers
Michael:

watchlovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2015, 08:44 AM   #41
2ar2c1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
2ar2c1 how do you post a pic and make it show up? Mine only showed the link.
Plus he just throws that in to make an extra $150 or is it something he is really doing?
when replying to a post, hit the "go advanced" button at the bottom of the quick reply box. then look for the second box down and it has a button that says "manage attachments" and hit that. it gives you the option to attach a jpeg from your own hard drive.

and yes, after approving the additional funds, MY will laser weld and refinish those damaged links to a new condition prior to rebuilding the bracelet.
2ar2c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2015, 08:47 AM   #42
occb2
Banned

Thank you very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30 October 2015, 07:43 AM   #43
iclick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
"...laser repairing the links for extra USD150."

I sent him two over a period of a year and wasn't given that offer for either. Both were in relatively good condition, just loose.
iclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2015, 07:44 AM   #44
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
He does really good work. Ill def use him if i need to get this done one day.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2015, 02:37 AM   #45
occb2
Banned

Just an update. Still waiting. Driving me nuts because I want to see it. I've heard he does wonders and my stretched band was beat to hell. As soon as I get it I will post pics of it.
Old 8 November 2015, 02:54 AM   #46
watchcrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer II cream
Michael has repaired quite a few for me, does amazing work. The laser work is an additional cost I recommend if you are keeping the watch. They look like new when returned.
watchcrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2015, 03:29 AM   #47
Black Bay Dan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
Michael refurbished my late father's Explorer 1016 Oyster Bracelet and the results were very impressive!

Dan
Black Bay Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2015, 08:04 AM   #48
occb2
Banned

Good news!!!!! Got an email last night from Mike.
Dear Robert,

Your band is ready. For your information, three of the screws in your band are a bit worn out. Replacing these screws will reduce the wobbliness of the connecting links. The screw replacement cost is USD10 each and original will be returned.

The price of the restoration is USD180 + USD150, screws is USD30 and return postage via FedEx (not insured) is USD33, total USD393. We will declare "used watch parts valued USD20" and it normally takes 3 to 5 business days.

Please send payment via paypal to: myoung@mbtechdesigns.com. Also, kindly confirm the postal address and telephone number for the courier.

I sent it to him with a nice tip and also paid the fees for paypal. He nexted dated it fedex for me so I should have it tomorrow. Will post pics as soon as I get it. Very excited.

Robert
Old 13 November 2015, 08:00 PM   #49
perpetual92
"TRF" Member

Super!

Not only does he do craftmanship-level work but, as important, knows how to communicate with the customer. Rare these days.

Get those pics up.
perpetual92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2015, 04:10 AM   #50
occb2
Banned

I am going to post them. I got the band. Amazing the band looks brand new. Only issue I have is that the center links are not polished like they were new. The bracelet is just flat. I asked for and expected the band to have it. Has anyone seen a ym with matted center links? Don't get me wrong I have been wearing that bracelet matted for years, the polish wears off but was just expecting in to be polished. Anyway. Let me go take pics and post them.
Old 14 November 2015, 04:19 AM   #51
05carbondrz
Banned

I am sure Michael will make it right if You ask.Maybe You can polish the center links yourself? Just tape off the outside links and go to Town.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2015, 04:36 AM   #52
occb2
Banned

The band

Here is the band. I am very happy with the fixing of the band. It really looks brand new and no stretch. All the missing metal is repaired and the gaps are taking care of. I know that the band center links have not shined in years but I had assumed and asked to buff out the center links. It didn't happen. I am not going to return it for that, I just don't want to time waisted and that fact is that the gloss in the center link does go dull after a few years. So that being said here is the band. The head is still getting referred at the watch maker. I should have it this week or next. Can't wait.

Robert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0837.jpg (71.4 KB, 536 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0834.jpg (73.2 KB, 528 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0835.jpg (60.1 KB, 533 views)
Old 14 November 2015, 04:40 AM   #53
occb2
Banned

Pics

Few more pics of the band.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0856.jpg (50.3 KB, 535 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0844.jpg (76.8 KB, 533 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0845.jpg (63.9 KB, 536 views)
Old 14 November 2015, 04:44 AM   #54
occb2
Banned

I am amazed. I didn't take pics of the damage much before I sent it in. But i can tell you the link after the SEL were separating and the end part had fell off. The band was strictly sound but to see this is just awe inspiring. Great job Michael. My bands will be all going to you in the future and I will be referring all my friends and forum member to you forever. Thank you.

PS, I gave him a nice tip and he Next day it fedex to me. What a great guy.

Robert
Old 14 November 2015, 04:58 AM   #55
05carbondrz
Banned

That looks awesome! I sent him my TT Oyster Band a little over Two Weeks ago for the full treatment.Can You tell where he did the Laser Welding at all?
Old 14 November 2015, 06:37 AM   #56
occb2
Banned

Yes. It is on the inside so its no big deal. Let me see if I can draw on the photo an place it back up of where the marks are. He did an incredible job. Amazing is an understatement. This band was really garbage and breaking apart. To come back like this is a miracle.

I have a SEL 93150. I put it on my no hole Sub that I got. So after a month I wanted to do a full cleaning and remove the bracelet. So I looked and I couldn't I had no clue that Rolex made the 93150 one that had no way to remove it but the wholes. The SEL was made for a holes case. Long story short I destroyed the SEL's getting them off scuffing my 16610. The watch maker had no issues cleaning the case. The band he couldn't touch. I sent Michael the pictures of what I did. He said that there was no way he could fix it. So he is an honest person to boot. I ended up using the band clasp on another bracelet that someone was selling with out clasp so it worked out. Goes to show you pay attention to what you are doing. I am the dummy that put that band on the no hole case. Never realizing that there was no space to remove the band if I had to. Good luck with you case you will love it.

Robert
Old 19 November 2015, 05:36 PM   #57
occb2
Banned

Sorry for the delay. Had a death in the family. Here are a few spots were he repaired with he laser repair.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 20 November 2015, 11:21 AM   #58
jem1947
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner ND
Great job

I sent MY the 78790 bracelet from my "U" series GMT 16710 (1998), it was very stretched and showed damage to the links plus the safety latch pin was loose. I sent him photos of the bracelet first and he e-mailed me back said he can fix it , the price and where to send it. In about five weeks it came in the mail, I sat it down next to a un worn 78790 SEL and compared them. I could not tell which one looked newer. I inspected the pin MY replaced and can't tell it apart from the un worn bracelet, a very impressive job. I've been wearing the watch 24/7 for more then a year and the bracelet does not show any signs of wear. I don't think anybody can do the same job let alone for the reasonable prices he charges.
jem1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2015, 11:36 AM   #59
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Sorry for the delay. Had a death in the family. Here are a few spots were he repaired with he laser repair.

[IMG][/IMG]
Thanks for the Pics,I don't think your average Person would be able to spot the Welds.
Old 25 November 2015, 03:25 AM   #60
tomchicago
Banned

Watch: 16710BLRO, 214270.
WOW! How does the bracelet feel on wrist? Any extra stiffness between the links?
tomchicago is offline   Reply With Quote