The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 13 April 2009, 03:44 AM   #1
Flaxmoore

Watch: Alpha Milsub
Why is there no sweep second hand in a quartz watch?

I admit I'm a relative newcomer at this, but something's bothering me.

The smoothness of sweep for a watch second hand is partly influenced by the beat rate of the movement. 28.8K is nice and smooth, 21.6K less so, 14.4K stutters a bit, like this junker a friend let me have to see how it works.

Considering that's beats per hour, it makes sense. Each "jump" of the second hand takes 1/6 of a second, faster than the "shutter speed" of the eye.

However, the beat rate of a quartz movement is 32K per second. Blindingly fast compared to mechanical. Why isn't there a glass-smooth sweep second hand quartz watch? What am I missing?
Flaxmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2009, 04:03 AM   #2
Skutt50
"TRF" Member

Watch: Old English Fusee
The beat rate in a mechanical watch is transfered mechanically to the second hand.

The 32K in a quartz movement is an oscillation frequency which isn't mechanically transfered to the second hand. There are electronics involved. To refer to it as beat rate is in my opinion not correct. It should be oscillation frequency.

Also you are comparing a beat rate of 28.8k per HOUR with an oscillation frequency of 32k per SECOND.
Skutt50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2009, 04:16 AM   #3
Flaxmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skutt50 View Post
The beat rate in a mechanical watch is transfered mechanically to the second hand.

The 32K in a quartz movement is an oscillation frequency which isn't mechanically transfered to the second hand. There are electronics involved. To refer to it as beat rate is in my opinion not correct. It should be oscillation frequency.

Also you are comparing a beat rate of 28.8k per HOUR with an oscillation frequency of 32k per SECOND.
I know I compared oscillations per hour to beats per second. That was intentional.

However, why couldn't the electronics in a quartz be used to provide a sweeping hand? Seems as if it would be easier.
Old 13 April 2009, 05:16 AM   #4
nylawbiz

Watch: too many
It's the nature of analog vs. digital technology. Digital is yes/no; on/off; 1/0. Nothing in between. Everything incremental. Analog technology is continuous; as in the uncoiling of a spring. A constant movement; that is translated into the ratcheting of teeth in a gear. Does that make sense?
nylawbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2009, 05:38 AM   #5
Flaxmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylawbiz View Post
It's the nature of analog vs. digital technology. Digital is yes/no; on/off; 1/0. Nothing in between. Everything incremental. Analog technology is continuous; as in the uncoiling of a spring. A constant movement; that is translated into the ratcheting of teeth in a gear. Does that make sense?
It makes perfect sense, but there is one problem. Why is the on/off set at 1 second intervals? It seems as if it would be a fairly simple matter to set it to 1/10 second, or even 1/6 to keep it in base 60.
Old 13 April 2009, 05:42 AM   #6
nylawbiz

Watch: too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaxmoore View Post
It makes perfect sense, but there is one problem. Why is the on/off set at 1 second intervals? It seems as if it would be a fairly simple matter to set it to 1/10 second, or even 1/6 to keep it in base 60.
Not sure, but I would venture to guess it has to do with the limitations of the mechanics of the watch.
nylawbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2009, 06:06 AM   #7
diablojota
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
Think about the consumption of battery power if you changed the interval settings from 1 sec to 1/10 of a second. This would increase the amount of time that the signal sent goes from 0 to 1 (off to on) tremendously leading to a much larger increase in the battery usage. You would in turn get probably about 1/10th the battery life then... Just my thought.

FcB
diablojota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2009, 08:16 AM   #8
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablojota View Post
Think about the consumption of battery power if you changed the interval settings from 1 sec to 1/10 of a second. This would increase the amount of time that the signal sent goes from 0 to 1 (off to on) tremendously leading to a much larger increase in the battery usage. You would in turn get probably about 1/10th the battery life then... Just my thought.
That's exactly it........ The motor to actually drive the watch hands is only pulsed once per second.

Of course, battery technology has come a long way now and it probably won't be long before quartz makers take the next step and smooth out that handsweep the way AC driven clocks are at only 60 cycles per second..
Old 13 April 2009, 01:20 PM   #9
Flaxmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
That's exactly it........ The motor to actually drive the watch hands is only pulsed once per second.

Of course, battery technology has come a long way now and it probably won't be long before quartz makers take the next step and smooth out that handsweep the way AC driven clocks are at only 60 cycles per second..
I actually wonder what would happen if Citizen got the Eco-Drive right, or if a true mechanical/battery hybrid existed. It could conceivably run forever.
Old 13 April 2009, 03:09 PM   #10
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I had a Pulsar about 10 years ago that was quartz, and when you start the chrono it moved very smooth without "ticking" I wonder if that is what you are talking about?
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2009, 04:10 PM   #11
Mathemagician
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc
I've got a quartz Seiko from 20+ years ago (rode my bike to a 90% off going out of business sale at a jeweler and picked it up for about $40 IIRC) with hands that move pretty smoothly either when using chrono or changing modes. Some barely perceptible ticking. No second hand, though, and I guess that's why. Thing is pretty nifty to this day and still runs just fine, though the lume is long dead.
Mathemagician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2009, 10:23 PM   #12
johnswatch
"TRF" Member

The quartz Patek Aquanaut has a smooth sweep but needs a new battery every 18 months. Battery life is the reason you don't get smooth sweeps on most quartz watches (Seiko spring drive excepted)
johnswatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2009, 10:11 AM   #13
gregdolley
Banned

Watch: Rose Gold Daytona
Quote:
I heard that it's once every second to conserve battery life.
gregdolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2009, 10:16 AM   #14
postiff

Watch: 116710LN
I have a quarts watch i got off ebay that runs very smooth.
postiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2009, 10:16 AM   #15
gregdolley
Banned

Watch: Rose Gold Daytona
Quote:
I actually wonder what would happen if Citizen got the Eco-Drive right, or if a true mechanical/battery hybrid existed. It could conceivably run forever.
Check out the Seiko spring-drive to see an interesting mechanical/electro-magnetic hybrid. It also has a _very_ smooth sweep.
gregdolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2009, 10:24 PM   #16
goduke1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 72' Rolex Air King
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdolley View Post
Check out the Seiko spring-drive to see an interesting mechanical/electro-magnetic hybrid. It also has a _very_ smooth sweep.
X2 It is very smooth!
Old 16 April 2009, 03:50 PM   #17
cwru32
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIC TT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylawbiz View Post
wow smart lawyer !! i liked ur movie!
Old 17 April 2009, 08:37 AM   #18
gioarmani7428
"TRF" Member

Very interesting stuff!
gioarmani7428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2009, 09:03 AM   #19
watchmaker
TechXpert

I can't recall the model off hand, but ETA manufacture a line of quartz movements with sweep centre seconds. I could check the reference next week if anyone is that interested.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2009, 12:15 PM   #20
Nods

Watch: Rolex GMT SS
Icon6

Quote:

I saw an add for GMT type Eco-Drive earlier this year and it was boasting a 3 year battery reserve. So I believe that they may have the Technology/battery to do the smooth sweep. It would be interesting to see one of those watches running.
Nods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2009, 12:45 AM   #21
Bulldozer
"TRF" Member

I am intrigued by this video I saw today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2FkD1QUc4w

It has a quartz movement cal. 5100 with sweeping second hand?
Bulldozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2009, 06:46 PM   #22
Nods

Watch: Rolex GMT SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Lyndon View Post

It had to happen soon, good that Rolex did it first! (to my limited knowledge anyway) I wonder what the battery life is, rather short I suspect.
Nods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2009, 08:16 PM   #23
swatty
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Game
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Lyndon View Post

Never seen this