The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 January 2020, 07:49 PM   #1
goliat
"TRF" Member

Blue Pelagos: is it TOO blue? Help me decide between black and blue.

I own a black Pelagos with Tudor's in-house movement as the only watch in my collection and I'm really starting to feel the blues. *badum tss*

Having seen the blue Pelagos in pictures has really made me doubt my decision to go with the black version. The blue just SINGS and there is something quite incredible about it I can't really put into words. However, I have the fear that the blue would be just too much in some situations (e.g. certain lighting, formal attire), making me really question my decision to switch.

So owners of the blue Pelagos: how do you like it? Is it ever too blue? Are you completely satisfied with it or do you ever feel you should've gone for the black instead for that added versatility?

Please note that this would be the only watch in my collection.
goliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 10:21 PM   #2
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have owned several blue Pelagos watches over the years and have always liked them. The blue is bright and the watch makes an impression. I have traded it, not because I did not like it, but because I was tired of it. So many great blue dial watches in the market that I thought I would give some of them a look. I would wait on Basel 2020 to see what Tudor brings. The speculation is that they will bring a different color Pelagos, possibly green, to the event. Let us know what you decide.

Last edited by 1William; 31 January 2020 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: spelling
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 11:27 PM   #3
RTG
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller
It’s a perfect matte blue in my opinion. Has a lot more pop than the black but still isn’t super flashy. I have considered one as a daily alternative to my beloved Explorer II
RTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 11:35 PM   #4
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I owned one and loved it...and then like a dumbass, flipped it away.

I don't think it's too blue, but, if it's going to be your only watch, I don't think it's as versatile as the black. I've been thinking about possibly adding the blue back into my collection, but let me stress one point: I will never be a one watch guy.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 11:37 PM   #5
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Easily the blue. Way lots of black dial options but that blue, they're very few. Even as an only watch, go BLUE. Because that only watch business has a gestation period and when it done, you'll be sick as hell and the only solution is another watch, then you'll have a fafillion black dials to chose from.

edit: This obviously isn't a dress watch even in black, so if it's a black tie affair and it's that serious, the black won't do either, hence, the blue.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 11:41 PM   #6
bigchungus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400,116900,
The blue is a really nice colour. I bought it just based off pictures as I had never seen it in person and couldn't be happier with it. I don't think the colour seeks attention, it's nice but doesn't scream "look at me!".
bigchungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 11:56 PM   #7
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
I owned one and loved it...and then like a dumbass, flipped it away.

I don't think it's too blue, but, if it's going to be your only watch, I don't think it's as versatile as the black. I've been thinking about possibly adding the blue back into my collection, but let me stress one point: I will never be a one watch guy.
Agree w/ my fellow Kentuckian. If it's your only watch black might be the better option. However, I have plenty of black watches and hoping for a bluetiful Pelagos in my future.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 11:58 PM   #8
Mr Wolf
"TRF" Member

Watch: It!
The Pelagos is a stunning watch and the bracelet clasp is one of the best on the market, I'll never be without my Blue, incredible is a good way to describe it. I bought it, when my son saw it he went straight out and got one for himself. All this said, neither one of us would have it as an only watch, it's always blue, in most light conditions. Unlike some other blue watches that can sometimes look black is some light conditions. As a 1 watch I'd stick with the black.

In fact I'm thinking of adding to my blue with a LHD.
Mr Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 12:15 AM   #9
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
I’ve owned the blue Pelagos, I think it’s an excellent hue of blue and Tudor got it right.
Hollie_Rollie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 12:38 AM   #10
EndlessEight
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
I agree with others. The blue is amazing but it’s probably not GADA watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 01:06 AM   #11
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

It's a pretty blue and works nicely with the titanium. I personally like the black version more and with the white details (not the off white). I don't own a Pelagos, but if I were to buy a titanium watch, it would be between the Pelagos and the titanium Omega Planet Ocean.
Old 1 February 2020, 02:14 AM   #12
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Easily the blue. Way lots of black dial options but that blue, they're very few. Even as an only watch, go BLUE. Because that only watch business has a gestation period and when it done, you'll be sick as hell and the only solution is another watch, then you'll have a fafillion black dials to chose from.

edit: This obviously isn't a dress watch even in black, so if it's a black tie affair and it's that serious, the black won't do either, hence, the blue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Agree w/ my fellow Kentuckian. If it's your only watch black might be the better option. However, I have plenty of black watches and hoping for a bluetiful Pelagos in my future.
dP
Well said, gentlemen. @ Dan: "Bluetiful"-love it!
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 02:35 AM   #13
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
Green would be worse. A lot worse. The blue is very fine.

Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 02:47 AM   #14
mand2240
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710
A Blue Pelagos was my one and only for almost two years. I love it (just added more to the collection). The blue pops in certain light and is extremely understated in dim situations.
mand2240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 02:52 AM   #15
Cesium137
Banned

I owned one and sold it. The blue is a big part of the problem, but the titanium case is a scratch magnifier. The blue is about the most non versatile blue on the market. Yes, it’s too blue. Especially if it’s your daily. I would strongly consider the black, if pelagos is your watch. Based on your comments, I think you already know this to be true. Good luck
Cesium137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 03:10 AM   #16
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
I hardly notice any scratches whatsoever on the titanium. I find the Rolex blue far less attractive.
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 03:34 AM   #17
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
I turned down the blue because it was simply WAAAy to bright blue for me.

Instead I got the black dial LHD with the aged lume and roulette date wheel.

But to each their own.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 03:49 AM   #18
goliat
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for the comments. Just tried it at the AD and it is BLUE. Gosh. It is stunning, but there is still something I like more in the black one. Somehow the black dial seems to have more depth than the blue and the amphitheatre effect around the indices is more pronounced.

But hell - that blue dial would look so good on a tanned skin during a hot summer day. Does this mean I need two?!
Old 1 February 2020, 03:51 AM   #19
bigchungus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400,116900,

You should get it.

bigchungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 03:52 AM   #20
LigerBelair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 50th A
When I was comparing them, I strongly preferred the blue. I wouldn't wear it with formal dress (but I wouldn't wear the black one either). If its your only watch, I'd stick with black.
LigerBelair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 04:36 AM   #21
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Visit a local Tudor dealer and have a look at it if you haven’t seen it in the metal yet.
I wear it at every time I pass by my Local Rolex Boutique, really stunning matte color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goliat View Post
I own a black Pelagos with Tudor's in-house movement as the only watch in my collection and I'm really starting to feel the blues. *badum tss*

Having seen the blue Pelagos in pictures has really made me doubt my decision to go with the black version. The blue just SINGS and there is something quite incredible about it I can't really put into words. However, I have the fear that the blue would be just too much in some situations (e.g. certain lighting, formal attire), making me really question my decision to switch.

So owners of the blue Pelagos: how do you like it? Is it ever too blue? Are you completely satisfied with it or do you ever feel you should've gone for the black instead for that added versatility?

Please note that this would be the only watch in my collection.
Old 1 February 2020, 05:49 AM   #22
goliat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchungus View Post

You should get it.

You leave me little choice!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_4817.jpg (81.8 KB, 179 views)