The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 May 2021, 05:36 AM   #1
RealMadrid1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona | BLNR
Switching Requested Watch at AD

Anyone ever switched their “requested” watch at an AD — either because they changed their mind on what they wanted or figured they might have a better shot at their new request? Curious if such switching is rewarded or if you end up at the back of the line on the new requested piece.

I asked my AD for a BLRO and am prepared to wait it out given how much I love the watch, but I’ve also come to appreciate the BLNR quite a lot in the interim and am debating asking for that “instead.” Given that the BLNR seems to be somewhat easier to come by, I’m curious if it’s worth registering interest in that instead of (or in addition to) the BLRO request. I’ve always believed in sticking to a single requested piece to demonstrate that I’m not after “any hot model,” so I don’t want to come across as desperate to the SA that I work with.

Anyone done this before? Thoughts (and speculation) welcome!
RealMadrid1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 05:44 AM   #2
Vigilante24
"TRF" Member

Blro and Blnr are both amazing watches. I don’t think there is any rule it putting interest in 2 watches with your AD, but I would definitely not get the BLNR “instead” if the BLRO is your dream watch.
Vigilante24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 05:47 AM   #3
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Wait for the BLRO. It sounds like the one you really want. You won’t be disappointed. Here’s mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1A43D27C-EBED-448E-9F50-4871C2892B94.jpeg (109.8 KB, 867 views)
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 05:56 AM   #4
macplee
"TRF" Member

i have both and surprising different feel. i was going to sell one of them but decided to keep both.
macplee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 07:35 AM   #5
mg18
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
I don't know how your AD works, but I'm pretty sure for mine, if I had accepted the BLNR when it was offered (I was gunning for a BLRO) then I would probably have been allocated my piece and off the list entirely. I stuck to the BLRO and got it about 6 months after being offered BLNR (twice).
mg18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 08:00 AM   #6
sj24k
"TRF" Member

seriously, just go talk to the AD and be honest. tell him you still really want the BLRO, but that you'd be open to BLNR if one comes in first. what could possibly be the downside of that? don't fear the AD! it's just a watch.
good luck.
sj24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 08:19 AM   #7
prnceofpersia23
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500LN
I'm in the same position as you and I simply asked for a steel GMT. I'll let them decide what it is ha.
prnceofpersia23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 08:27 AM   #8
Master_Grogu
Banned

My two AD will swap your desired model, and keep the initial date as the one active.

If in 2018 you said I want BLRO and now say today you want BLNR, you will have 2018 as ask date in their system.
Master_Grogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 12:14 PM   #9
rmagoo57

Watch: GMT II/Sub/Exp II
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnceofpersia23 View Post
I'm in the same position as you and I simply asked for a steel GMT. I'll let them decide what it is ha.
What about the bracelet??? There are 4 options now!!
rmagoo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 12:24 PM   #10
novae500
"TRF" Member

I’d take either one if my AD offered me. I did list 4 that I was interested in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

326933 SkyDweller, 126711 GMT II CHNR
12600 DeepSea Seadweller
14060 No Date Submariner
16710 GMT II Pepsi N-Series, Coke F Series
novae500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 01:02 PM   #11
prnceofpersia23

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmagoo57 View Post
What about the bracelet??? There are 4 options now!!
Isn't that great? Surprise me, AD!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
prnceofpersia23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 04:19 PM   #12
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMadrid1988 View Post
Anyone ever switched their “requested” watch at an AD — either because they changed their mind on what they wanted or figured they might have a better shot at their new request? Curious if such switching is rewarded or if you end up at the back of the line on the new requested piece.

I asked my AD for a BLRO and am prepared to wait it out given how much I love the watch, but I’ve also come to appreciate the BLNR quite a lot in the interim and am debating asking for that “instead.” Given that the BLNR seems to be somewhat easier to come by, I’m curious if it’s worth registering interest in that instead of (or in addition to) the BLRO request. I’ve always believed in sticking to a single requested piece to demonstrate that I’m not after “any hot model,” so I don’t want to come across as desperate to the SA that I work with.

Is your annual spend history strong? If not a Pepsi might never come through for you. A BLNR should be a bit easier, but with little history you could still be in for a long wait
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 09:08 PM   #13
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Twice.

I had a small deposit on the BB GMT when it launched. Mine was due around August of the launch year. I slowly began to like it less and as real examples started appearing on real wrists it became evident that maybe there could be an issue with the date disk. We were walking past our local AD, not intending to go in on that occasion, when a Z-Blue grabbed my attention. It had gone in the window that day. I was lucky. Milgauss bought, Tudor cancelled, deposit transferred, no problem.

More recently, in 2019 I asked if I could be listed for a black SS Sky Dweller. My AD got one a year, sometimes two, and said they would put me on the list when they next revised it. Mid 2019 they informed me that regrettably, their allocation was likely to reduce a bit and they wouldn't be opening the list. I quite fancied the black TT black model and they told me I could have the next one that came in. I left a larger deposit for that watch. I didn't need to but thought I might as well pay some up front. Later that year I went on the list for a TT CHNR which they anticipated would turn up in 2022.

In December 2019 Rolex announced the price rise and it nudged me into wondering about my choice of Sky Dweller. Was I settling for the next best thing, given that I was still in love with the SS black? I found an unworn example from a grey dealer who was well regarded and I decided to jump before the market jumped again. Back then, the asking price was around £15k but I was able to negotiate comfortably below this when I waved the cash at them. My AD couldn't have been more pleased for me and took it away to authenticate it - which I didn't ask them to do but it would have daft to refuse. They offered me my deposit back, which I asked them to transfer to the CHNR, which itself turned up two months later, two years sooner than I thought it would.

Later in 2020, between the first and second UK lock down, I took the Z-Blue in for a warranty repair and they offered me a BLNR. I happened to be in the shop the day after an allocation showed up. I passed and asked to be listed for the BLRO. The white TT Sky Dweller had started to call to me and I asked if by any chance, one had turned up in their recent allocation. It had. Enough said.

They recently rang me to check which BLRO bracelet I preferred (Oyster), so it seems that in my case, my bouncing about and zig zagging hasn't hurt my prospects. We buy other things from them as well so this probably factors in. Relationships with retail usually run primarily on expenditure, however much cordiality and good will is rolled in.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 09:37 PM   #14
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
I had requested a Blue SS Skydweller around 6 months ago and during my routine visit i asked whether i should switch to say a Black dial and thereby get the skudweller sooner. She told me to be patient and wait for the one i really want and i think that’s the way forward.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 09:44 PM   #15
UmichNJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMadrid1988 View Post

I switch with some frequency as new releases come out. My AD and I usually have extensive discussions to determine whether I really want the new novelty or should stick with the watch I previously requested. They don’t do this in an intrusive way, rather, they’ve served as a trusted advisor and prevented me from making impulsive decisions. A good example is the Blue SkyD. I had expressed passing interest at it at release. Six months ago, I told them that this was really the watch I wanted to get ahead of the holidays, and three days later, I had the watch on my wrist. Yellow OP same deal, I couldn’t decide between the 36 and 41. After much back and forth, I said 36 and I had it a week later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UmichNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 11:06 PM   #16
ttomczak

Watch: The Beach
With my AD, I am on for a few different watches, and if one comes up he can sell to me, I get it. But I also realize, I got an allocation, so it could be some time before I could be up again for another on the list, and I am totally fine with it…

If you wind it, it tells pretty good time
(Paul Newman)
ttomczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 11:28 PM   #17
B2 Stealth
"TRF" Member

When I purchased a BLNR I was also on waiting list for BLRO. The BLNR dropped me further down the GMT II list for the BLRO. "Wouldn't be fair" to sell me both when others didn't have one. So I waited for 3 years for the BLRO. I love both watches and have been offered the CHNR three times. Told my AD I won't turn it down again but would like a Sky-Dweller on oyster bracelet in any dial color as my preferred. Not certain I answered your question. Tough to turn down a BLNR while waiting for a BLRO but it did have ramifications for me when I purchased the BLNR first.
B2 Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote