The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 22 July 2021, 02:51 AM   #1
sinhang917
"TRF" Member

Opinion on this Double red mk4

I am considering a mk4 drsd from Matt Bain, they mentioned the watch is all original and period correct and lume didnt react under UV. May I ask you guys opinion about this drsd and see if anything is weird.

https://www.matthewbaininc.com/watch-details/3414

I am looking for condition one with period correct matching (case , dial ,insert , bezel, caseback, no re-cut, no relume (relume on hands is acceptable for me)

Serial :50xxxxx
insert : mk3
bracelet: 93150 580 end link stamped code k1 (so should drsd match with 585 endlink ?and k1 is 1986, so i think this is not exact correct but acceptable i guess )
Datewheel: silver, open 6,9 16 and closed 26
Caseback has serial number matching inside.

also attached the photo provided by them
Million thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2644.jpg (81.6 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2642.jpg (102.6 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2640.jpg (78.4 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2639.jpg (103.1 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2645.jpg (104.6 KB, 228 views)
sinhang917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 04:18 AM   #2
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Can you get clearer pictures of the markers? Looks too good.
Just fyi the ad says lumi hands......
Also, "lume didnt react under UV" ?? .....It should.
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 04:37 AM   #3
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
You need to clarify with the seller what it means that the tritium didn't react under UV. Sure, it shouldn't "glow," but as swaini3 writes, it should "react." (See photo below of my DRSD MK3 under UV.) I actually think the dial and hands look pretty good, but I'd definitely want to see a UV photo. You should also clarify what the seller means by "lumi" hands. They look like tritium in the photos, but it's odd that the term "lumi" was used.

However, my biggest problem with this example is the case. It's not just that it's been polished, which can be OK, it's how it's been polished. Look at how pointy the crown guards are. I would pass based just on that.

And yes, you're correct, the bracelet should have 585 end links, but fairly minor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1665 UV TRF.jpg (284.2 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg DRSD 1665 New Bezel 2-TRF.jpg (283.3 KB, 219 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 05:04 AM   #4
swaini3
"TRF" Member

i was waiting for that pic Yup, OP's bevels have the newer models look. This one is supposedly original / unpolished:

Old 22 July 2021, 06:29 PM   #5
sinhang917
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaini3 View Post
Can you get clearer pictures of the markers? Looks too good.
Just fyi the ad says lumi hands......
Also, "lume didnt react under UV" ?? .....It should.

Actually, iI do not know what is meant by lumi hands.
I requested more photos but seems all photos are with similar quality..

Thanks for your sharing!:)
Old 22 July 2021, 06:36 PM   #6
sinhang917
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
You need to clarify with the seller what it means that the tritium didn't react under UV. Sure, it shouldn't "glow," but as swaini3 writes, it should "react." (See photo below of my DRSD MK3 under UV.) I actually think the dial and hands look pretty good, but I'd definitely want to see a UV photo. You should also clarify what the seller means by "lumi" hands. They look like tritium in the photos, but it's odd that the term "lumi" was used.

However, my biggest problem with this example is the case. It's not just that it's been polished, which can be OK, it's how it's been polished. Look at how pointy the crown guards are. I would pass based just on that.

And yes, you're correct, the bracelet should have 585 end links, but fairly minor.
beautiful DRSD man! WOW, is matte dial lume also supposed to react under UV like that or just for particular time of DRSD? my singel red mk4 just react with a bit of tiny dot..

Thanks man for your sharing you also gave me some hints of how to check a case!
Old 22 July 2021, 09:16 PM   #7
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhang917 View Post
Actually, iI do not know what is meant by lumi hands.
I requested more photos but seems all photos are with similar quality..

Thanks for your sharing!:)
Have a look here:
https://www.miltonaires.com/7184/a-s...a-violet-light

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=726154

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=123465
Old 23 July 2021, 01:55 AM   #8
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
The seller calls the watch "gently polished" and, while it might be considered by some to be polished very nice, which it does appear to be, it has loss some of its original size/dimensions from over-polishing which is evidenced by the thinner than normal lugs from when it left the factory as new. Also, as Swish mentioned, the crown guards are over-polished too.

The bracelet and end links are not "original equipment" and it is hard to judge the dial 100% based on the listing. I would request some photos of the dial/hands taken under a blue light (UV).

Based on the condition and the $46,000 price, I'd spend more and get a correct watch.

Also, spend some time learning how to use the search function here on the forum. The seller has been discussed here in the past.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 02:39 AM   #9
sinhang917
"TRF" Member

This man this is gold!
Old 23 July 2021, 02:52 AM   #10
sinhang917
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
The seller calls the watch "gently polished" and, while it might be considered by some to be polished very nice, which it does appear to be, it has loss some of its original size/dimensions from over-polishing which is evidenced by the thinner than normal lugs from when it left the factory as new. Also, as Swish mentioned, the crown guards are over-polished too.

The bracelet and end links are not "original equipment" and it is hard to judge the dial 100% based on the listing. I would request some photos of the dial/hands taken under a blue light (UV).

Based on the condition and the $46,000 price, I'd spend more and get a correct watch.

Also, spend some time learning how to use the search function here on the forum. The seller has been discussed here in the past.

Thanks man for your sharing!!! I agree to spend for the correct better watch, so I would look another better one.

I like vintage rolex and keeping learn about it now, and so glad to have this forum:)

Actually, I have searched about the seller and found he has mixed reputation, so it makes me to have less confidence on the watch provided by him.

But I do really appreciate all the sharing :)